Told you guys we should have hired Chris Quinn

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Re: Told you guys we should have hired Chris Quinn 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:00 pm

Every time I start speculating about growth for next year I run into the thought: “Oh, but Monty will still be here, so nevermind”.

This coaching hire is a cautionary example, not just for the basketball world, but for our lives. In both the professional world and the personal one: if someone’s not into you don’t keep pursuing. Even if you somehow bring them in it won’t be at all what you hoped. No amount of money was going to make Monty invested in a job he didn’t want.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,135

Post#22 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:04 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Washington, Brooklyn, and Charlotte might be worse than Detroit

Nobody is worse than Detroit, no coach is worse than Monty, hard to envision any owner worse than Gores either.
Good times!!!
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#23 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:05 pm

Spider156 wrote:Weaver wanted a black coach for a black city and black players.

We didn’t have Quinn in weaver’s top 3 because of racism.

It was never Quinn to begin with. It was likely gonna be Charles Lee not even Ollie.

But we DID get the best coach. We just have the worst GM and roster.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#24 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:06 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I get that Monty has been bad, but how are we sure that Chris Quinn would do any better with this turd of a roster?

Gloating with absolutely no evidence to back up said gloat.

Casey did better with a worse roster with younger players. The roster is bad but it's not historically bad, Monty made it historically bad.
Weaver sucks but the job Monty did was deplorable. I can go down a whole giant list of errors he made this season but I'm not sure there's enough bandwidth available to cover it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,766

Post#25 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:11 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Washington, Brooklyn, and Charlotte might be worse than Detroit

Nobody is worse than Detroit, no coach is worse than Monty, hard to envision any owner worse than Gores either.
Good times!!!

Totally disagree.

In terms of teams? Mort was correct in list those three. But even Toronto, Chicago for being stuck in mediocrity. And wait for capped out teams to lose in the playoffs and realize they are not so good and have to do a full rebuild. At least we’ve started ours are are in a good spot to have an impactful offseason.

And no coach is worse than Monty? That’s just silly. And Doc Rivers wants to talk to you.

And finally Gores. I would have preferred he start the rebuild sooner but w a new arena, I can see why he wanted to get as much Blake time as possible. Bad move. But not worst owner bad. And he hasn’t gone “cheap” on anything. That’s the worst kind of owner.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#26 » by Billl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:31 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I want this to be known for posterity, in case someone opens this thread a decade from now, wondering what the hell happened;

Monty Williams has been terrible. This has very little to do with the current roster. It is not just us fans openly questioning, it has been;

Players. Other coaches. Podcasts. National media.

everyone.

He has, as someone already pointed out, made open remarks about doing one thing, and then either never doing it, or doing the opposite. He has made sweeping lineup changes at critical moments in games, killing momentum. He has repeatedly played all bench units for long stretches, decimating leads built by the starters. He has played players, who should have never seen the floor, over those just drafted.

Monty Williams has been one of the worst coaches in a singular year, I have ever personally witnessed.

Absolutely brutal. Roster is poorly constructed, but in no way, is it this poorly constructed.

Unfortunately, the roster is that bad. We are literally the worst in the league for 3 point makes and traded our 2 highest volume 3 point shooters. We are the second worst team for turnovers and are bottom 5 in forcing turnovers. We rank 25th for fg% given up defensively. For the modern analytics era, we are basically the "don't do that" example.

We have a budding young star in cade and have assembled a roster that amplifies his weaknesses and minimizes his strengths. Fans have been lamenting all season "Imagine who good cade would look with some guys to space the floor."
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#27 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:59 pm

theBigLip wrote:Totally disagree.

In terms of teams? Mort was correct in list those three. But even Toronto, Chicago for being stuck in mediocrity. And wait for capped out teams to lose in the playoffs and realize they are not so good and have to do a full rebuild. At least we’ve started ours are are in a good spot to have an impactful offseason.

And no coach is worse than Monty? That’s just silly. And Doc Rivers wants to talk to you.

And finally Gores. I would have preferred he start the rebuild sooner but w a new arena, I can see why he wanted to get as much Blake time as possible. Bad move. But not worst owner bad. And he hasn’t gone “cheap” on anything. That’s the worst kind of owner.

Monty absolutely sabotaged this season. We'll agree to disagree but I just can't imagine any coach doing a worse job than Monty did this season. Guy got paid, went to a place he had no interest in going to and coached like it. Maybe he'll be better next season and lord knows that he can't get worse but in the here and now, evaluating the job he's done THIS season, I can't imagine that there was a worse coaching job out there.

The Pistons have won zero playoff series in Gores tenure which encompasses a decade and a half and have been over .500 only once, just ONCE in 15 years. It's arguably the worst franchise in sports in that timeframe.
Spending money means nothing if it's spent in the wrong places. I can't see much of an argument for any owner outside of the racist Sterling being a worse owner in that time. If he's not the worst, he's one of the worst. Same with Monty, if he's not the worst he's one of the worst so essentially it's arguing over semantics. The Pistons are the laughingstock of the NBA. A once proud franchise before Gores is now the joke of the league under Gores, I don't think I'm being hyperbolic in saying this.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#28 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:00 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:It could be perceived as an easy answer if you focus on how bad Monty has been, which we all know and appreciate.

But OP made the point about hiring Chris Quinn instead and all I’m saying is we have no objective evidence to say that he would be better, as he has never been a head coach.

And we can speculate about his potential performance all we want, but you can’t be self-congratulatory when you have absolutely no data to base that opinion of. We have seen countless examples of assistant coaches from a successful organization absolutely failing when they are given the reins of a team.

Do we know it for sure? No. Can we deem it extraordinarily likely? I think so.

The financials are of course relevant but no one knows how much Quinn may have been asking for given he would be a sought after hire (a few other teams have also interviewed him) and we would have to pay the usual Detroit tax. He wouldn’t cost as much as Monty sure, but it would likely have not been a trivial amount.

First-time head coaches don't tend to be expensive. It would be unprecedented for one of them to cost anywhere close to Monty's spectacularly outsized salary. It's worth looking back and wondering why in the world Gores thought he was such a big thing as to be worthy of that salary. If not for Phoenix's unbelievably good injury luck in 2021, Monty would most likely have an even less distinguished playoff pedigree than Dwane Casey. Even with that finals appearance, it was nothing special.

But Gores seems to have been little (if at all) less intent upon looking at the subtleties of things with Monty than he was when he saw "WOW, COACH OF THE YEAR!" and hired Casey.

Billl wrote:Monte has been terrible, but with the poor construction and injuries, this has been a bottom 5 roster for sure. We are near the bottom in 3% and fg% and most of the team is below average defenders. You aren't going to win many games that way no matter who is coaching.

I'm not so sure about that. I think a good coach may have gotten this team to 30 wins.

Spider156 wrote:But we DID get the best coach. We just have the worst GM and roster.

Wait, what? The best coach?
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#29 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:07 pm

theBigLip wrote:And no coach is worse than Monty? That’s just silly. And Doc Rivers wants to talk to you.

See, that's just the thing. Doc Rivers sucks. Really. But even he is a legit NBA coach, if a bad one. This season's Monty has been outrageously incompetent in a way that should not realistically have been possible for an NBA coach. It surprises me to see anyone who's watched the Pistons this season give him the benefit of the doubt. Where his coaching hasn't been genuinely insane -- and it's often been genuinely insane -- it's almost invariably been simply unequivocally bad instead.

Gores had no stake in LCA. He paid nothing into its construction, and the Pistons have a sweet deal to play there. His operating costs most likely went down significantly from moving out of the Palace. He refused for nine seasons to countenance a rebuild because he thought he knew best: he believed that "building a winning culture" was the way to go, as if the team could start winning and just generate momentum that way and didn't actually need high-end talent in order to compete.

The failure of the Blake trade -- which presumably busted up his apparent belief that simply getting a big name would solve all of the team's problems -- may have been the impetus for him finally removing his head from his arse and leaving strategy to the professionals for a little while. Even then, he couldn't resist shoving his maladroit hands -- with typically damaging results -- into the coaching search last summer.

I agree that he cares a great deal for the team's success. The poisonous caveat to it is that he wants the team to succeed so long as he can be involved. And he's not a whole lot less incompetent than he was when he took over 13 years of near-endless failure ago.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#30 » by chrbal » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:25 am

I’m guessing this is some randomly call on a guy that was said ages ago, and is now somehow worth a topic

I’d be more interested in finding people’s horrible calls on players and such from the past. Like I’m guessing I have a post or two where I thought Rodney White would be a good player
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#31 » by Rip32 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:59 pm

Quinn is the NBA's version of Dan Campbell. The guy is a culture guy...defense first. We hired a guy who didn't even want to coach....

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#32 » by BDM22 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:26 pm

I frequently hear that Troy's seat is hotter than Monty's, but some of Monty's decision making this year has been akin to Troy getting the #1 pick this past draft and taking Scoot instead of Wemby. Like actively horrendous decisions from moment 1 to the point where we wondered if Monty wasn't just trying to get fired to collect the bag. Both Troy and Monty deserve to lose their jobs, but I still put far higher priority on Monty.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#33 » by Canadafan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:03 am

BDM22 wrote:I frequently hear that Troy's seat is hotter than Monty's, but some of Monty's decision making this year has been akin to Troy getting the #1 pick this past draft and taking Scoot instead of Wemby. Like actively horrendous decisions from moment 1 to the point where we wondered if Monty wasn't just trying to get fired to collect the bag. Both Troy and Monty deserve to lose their jobs, but I still put far higher priority on Monty.

Ya man, I would be down to rid ourselves of Monty. This man ruined my whole year of ball. Putting us through the embarrassment of that God awful streak when all he had to do was make a move here or there to break it.
Having Casey was so much more enjoyable and I would luv to get ourselves a new and relatable guy. Give me Billups(even though hes sucked)with Rip as his head assistant lol. Give me anyone else. How about we pay Dan Campbell all of Montys money , he would have the team running thru walls for wins hahaha

Return to Detroit Pistons