Told you guys we should have hired Chris Quinn

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#1 » by Rip32 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:21 am

I said it plenty of times. This is by far the worst franchise in all of sports

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275228/Monty-Williams-Not-Expected-To-Be-Open-To-Buyout-With-Pistons

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,887

Re: Told you guys we should have hired Chris Quinn 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:35 pm

Thats a shame
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,802

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:03 pm

Never thought this would be a realistic option.

It sucks.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#4 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:20 pm

Washington, Brooklyn, and Charlotte might be worse than Detroit
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:35 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Washington, Brooklyn, and Charlotte might be worse than Detroit

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Washington, Brooklyn, and Charlotte might be worse than Detroit

You have to admit they're pretty... pretty... pretty.... bad.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,691

Post#7 » by Cowology » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:23 pm

Snakebites wrote:

:rofl2: :giveup:
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#8 » by Spider156 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:35 pm

Weaver wanted a black coach for a black city and black players.

We didn’t have Quinn in weaver’s top 3 because of racism.

It was never Quinn to begin with. It was likely gonna be Charles Lee not even Ollie.

But we DID get the best coach. We just have the worst GM and roster.
Defense wins championships
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#9 » by Spider156 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:40 pm

Washington I agree. Charlotte I don’t agree. Charlotte has Lamelo and Miller that’s automatically a better duo than Cade and whoever you want to name. Then there’s their center who is better than Duren in my opinion, Mark Williams. He’s a better defender and a legitimate 7 foot center. IMO there isn’t a center in the league that can’t do what Duren does. Wiseman is one of them. As for Brooklyn, they’re in a much better position. First of all they have Bridges and that’ll get you 4-6 FRPs. We don’t have that. They also have picks but this year they don’t. Brooklyn is in a better spot if they want to tank and rebuild they’ll immediately be ahead of us. As of now they are still ahead of us because of their record and talent.

Our young talent sucks. We never had proper veterans for 2 straight years now. We haven’t improved at all in any field except for Cade. Everyone else has been abysmal.

I’ll tell you this though…we do have the best coach out of all those teams and that’s why I’d rather keep Monty. Don’t make the situation already worse than what it is. I’d fire weaver and build around Cade and Monty Williams. Everyone else can go from top to bottom.
Defense wins championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#10 » by DBC10 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:12 pm

What has Quinn done that we should have hired over him amongst the other candidates at the time? Was he even in the FO/ownership's radar? I would posit that with a no, considering Gores opened up his wallet at the exact wrong moment however well intended it may have been. Something something "the road to good intentions leads to..."

We can't just let go of just Weaver or Monty. Instead, we need to clean house and let the new FO hire their own coach and make full executive decisions. It's the only fair thing to do

That also means if they don't view even Cade as a centerpiece for the future, then they have to have autonomy to make their decisions as well. They have to have at least that full autonomy, no buts about it
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:08 pm

Detroit has enough cap space for 2 Max players, right? Surely that would put us ahead of those bottom teams.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#12 » by joedumars1 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:17 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Detroit has enough cap space for 2 Max players, right? Surely that would put us ahead of those bottom teams.

Might want to ask Ben Gordon and Josh Smith :(
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#13 » by TPA » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:24 am

Rip32 wrote:I said it plenty of times. This is by far the worst franchise in all of sports

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275228/Monty-Williams-Not-Expected-To-Be-Open-To-Buyout-With-Pistons

Can somebody get this guy a giant jar of icy-hot? That shoulder has got to be sore from all the back-patting he's doing to himself.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#14 » by TPA » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:28 am

Let's all go back and find a couple of hot-takes that we've had at some point that we were correct about, then start a new thread telling everyone "I told you so".
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,331

Post#15 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:47 am

I get that Monty has been bad, but how are we sure that Chris Quinn would do any better with this turd of a roster?

Gloating with absolutely no evidence to back up said gloat.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:12 am

Mr Peanut wrote:I get that Monty has been bad, but how are we sure that Chris Quinn would do any better with this turd of a roster?

Gloating with absolutely no evidence to back up said gloat.

Not our money, but Quinn would have been cheaper and easier to cut ties with if he didn’t work out.

And Monty has been bad. Bad at player development, making obvious lineup and rotation blunders, and repeatedly proclaiming changes would be made then proceeding to not make them. We should be bad, but not THIS bad. And other than Cade we really haven’t seen much in the way of internal development from our players. Our record now isn’t the only issue. Have we set ourselves up for a better future?

He doesn’t seem to want to be here to the point where I guess I had a dim hope he might give some money back in a buyout.

This news that he won’t is unsurprising though.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#17 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:21 am

Mr Peanut wrote:I get that Monty has been bad, but how are we sure that Chris Quinn would do any better with this turd of a roster?

Very easy answer here. This season's Monty may genuinely be the worst coach the NBA has seen in decades. A lot of the decisions he's made have verged into the insane, choices that no coach in their right mind would even consider making. Where his coaching hasn't been legitimately crazy, it's been unequivocally awful instead. The job he's done in Detroit has been terrible to a degree that is without precedent in recent NBA memory. The roster was certainly inadequate (just inadequate, not horrible), but he's taken that inadequate roster and mismanaged it to lows never before reached by any team in the history of the NBA. He took a poor situation and made it immeasurably worse. There's nothing to do but shake one's head and be dumbfounded at how an NBA coach could be so outrageously ineffectual at his job. It shouldn't realistically be possible.

It's extremely unlikely that any coach whom the Pistons or any other team would hire could be anywhere near as bad as Monty has been. Even Boylen wasn't this bad, and he was the previous holder of worst-NBA-coach-in-a-long-time honors.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,331

Post#18 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:09 pm

Crymson wrote:

Very easy answer here. This season's Monty may genuinely be the worst coach the NBA has seen in decades. A lot of the decisions he's made have verged into the insane, choices that no coach in their right mind would even consider making. Where his coaching hasn't been legitimately crazy, it's been unequivocally awful instead. The job he's done in Detroit has been terrible to a degree that is without precedent in recent NBA memory. The roster was certainly inadequate (just inadequate, not horrible), but he's taken that inadequate roster and mismanaged it to lows never before reached by any team in the history of the NBA. He took a poor situation and made it immeasurably worse. There's nothing to do but shake one's head and be dumbfounded at how an NBA coach could be so outrageously ineffectual at his job. It shouldn't realistically be possible.

It's extremely unlikely that any coach whom the Pistons or any other team would hire could be anywhere near as bad as Monty has been. Even Boylen wasn't this bad, and he was the previous holder of worst-NBA-coach-in-a-long-time honors.

It could be perceived as an easy answer if you focus on how bad Monty has been, which we all know and appreciate.

But OP made the point about hiring Chris Quinn instead and all I’m saying is we have no objective evidence to say that he would be better, as he has never been a head coach.

And we can speculate about his potential performance all we want, but you can’t be self-congratulatory when you have absolutely no data to base that opinion of. We have seen countless examples of assistant coaches from a successful organization absolutely failing when they are given the reins of a team.

The financials are of course relevant but no one knows how much Quinn may have been asking for given he would be a sought after hire (a few other teams have also interviewed him) and we would have to pay the usual Detroit tax. He wouldn’t cost as much as Monty sure, but it would likely have not been a trivial amount.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#19 » by Billl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:23 pm

Monte has been terrible, but with the poor construction and injuries, this has been a bottom 5 roster for sure. We are near the bottom in 3% and fg% and most of the team is below average defenders. You aren't going to win many games that way no matter who is coaching.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#20 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:48 pm

I want this to be known for posterity, in case someone opens this thread a decade from now, wondering what the hell happened;

Monty Williams has been terrible. This has very little to do with the current roster. It is not just us fans openly questioning, it has been;

Players. Other coaches. Podcasts. National media.

everyone.

He has, as someone already pointed out, made open remarks about doing one thing, and then either never doing it, or doing the opposite. He has made sweeping lineup changes at critical moments in games, killing momentum. He has repeatedly played all bench units for long stretches, decimating leads built by the starters. He has played players, who should have never seen the floor, over those just drafted.

Monty Williams has been one of the worst coaches in a singular year, I have ever personally witnessed.

Absolutely brutal. Roster is poorly constructed, but in no way, is it this poorly constructed.

Return to Detroit Pistons