ImageImageImage

Upgrade at starting Pf and Sg

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

aad
Starter
And1: 466

Upgrade at starting Pf and Sg 

Post#1 » by aad » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:29 pm

So with 60 mill in cap space that should be enough to upgrade the starting 2spot and started pf spot this summer so who are some shooting guards that’s out there that can be a upgrade over Ivey

I’m assuming our pf will probably be T.Harris or Miles Bridges

Ivey probably will be included in a trade probably to upgrade one of them spots

Also don’t we have the non tax mid level around 8 million to upgrade backup C

Bench
Stewart
Font
Ausar
Grimes
Sasser
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Re: Upgrade at starting Pf and Sg 

Post#2 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:58 am

Its not just the money. Ausar, Ivey, and Stewart are all tradeable assets.

If Whoever the GM is can't improve the team, then we as fans are absolutely doomed.

As for free agents, Claxton is free, and I want a legitimate shot-blocker. Monk, and Grayson Allen who is having a banner year. Absolutely a beast three point shooter, and good defensively.

Trade Ausar, Ivey, and Duren.

Cade
Grayson/Monk
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

Good to go.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:56 am

We’re in a rough spot.

Ausar’s value won’t be very good right now given his health issues. Ivey? The league watches the same footage we do. His value can’t be high either. I’ve largely stopped believing in him and can’t imagine folks in rival front offices feel differently. Duren? That’s the only guy I see having much value.

It’s very likely the front offices FOMO prevents them from moving on from these guys anyway. And I don’t see how we make meaningful upgrades with only our cap space. It’s not enough.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,326

Post#4 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:15 am

We shouldn't trade Ausar. Despite the premature end to his season he has shown a lot of a promise with the potential to be an elite defender, and his outside shot was starting to improve.

We will be perennial losers for even longer than what we already are if we trade guys like him after their rookie season. I understand wanting to field a competitive team as quickly as possible but that's not the way to go about it.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#5 » by SuperBad » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:57 pm

Monk or Brogdon ,

Kyle Anderson- he’s played for playoff teams his whole career where ever he has been, both Morant, and Edwards blossomed with him on the team, he’s probably known Ivey since he was a kid hanging around the team in Memphis, he could serve as the backup PG when Cunningham is out, if Ivey can’t put it together in that role on a day to day basis. I’m also into Dario Saric, as a playmaking stretch 5 type, that can play other roles. We could give Monk and Anderson nice 3 year deals, we the third year option. We fell from true relevance in 2008, I predict we will be back by 2028. These guys help get us over the first hill.
guldakot
Rookie
And1: 549

Post#6 » by guldakot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:16 pm

So I probably have a different philosophy then most fans left here, I and I get it as this team is so bad that we all want to see some improvement.... ANY improvement.
That being said, unless we get the disastrous result of #5 in the draft again I do no trade the pick. I could understand if we were a piece or 2 away, but there isn't even a team in place yet. We have Cade... and that its. Ivey Duren and Ausar all have massive flaws, huge potential but massive flaws.

1)Best case scenario? We get one overall and take Sarr. He will give us what Duren already does day 1 and be a massive improvement defensively. Duren has value, we can flip him for something. After we get Sarr we go ahead and throw a bag at Monk and use a combination of Duren and Ivey to upgrade the PF position. We keep Ausar in this scenario as a Sarr Ausar frontcourt has tremendous potential defensively. Cade Monk Ausar Tek Sarr with Stewart and Grimes off the bench (I know we probably start Stewart but hey best case scenario) and use the rest of our money to go after guys to fill out the roster. Growing pains here but really high ceiling imo.

2)we get #2 and draft Topic- Topic has the potential to be what we thought Rubio would be. This will fully unlock Cades off-ball potential and still maximize Duren's game as he is a tremendous passer, potentially in the Haliburton tier of passing (not Luka or Jokic but if he was he would be unquestionable #1). Kid is huge for a pg, and plays average man but great team D. Biggest knock is his 3pt shooting (has potential but his shooting base is whack needs to work on his legs) and as a result, Ausar is on his way out here. Package Ausar and Ivey and target shooting at the 3/4 position. Also try and trade back into the first and take shots at NBA ready shooting prospects like Dalton Knecht and Terrence Shannon. Ivey can be kept in this scenrio as the 3 guard rotation of Ivey/Cade/Topic is very dynamic, but Ausar has to be converted to pure shooting here.

3) Risacher- I know alot of people have Risacher higher then Topic, but Im just looking at pure talent here as we have none so I have Risacher at 3 (in almost a dead heat with Reed Sheppard) - If we take Risacher, we keep everyone current, move Tek and Stewart to the bench, and throw a bag at monk. We end up midseason with a lineup and Cade Monk Risacher Ausur and Duren. Bench of Ivey Grimes Tek Stewart and F/A. This is the most complete and ready team and is looking at the play-in but has the lowest celing of the 4 scenarios. Risachers shooting is real, his defense is real, but something about him gives me Mario Hezonja vibes, feels like he has the potential to be a blackhole on offense.

4)Reed - Biggest boom or bust here. Is he the next steph or the next Jimmer? Given the massive gulf in between those scenarios this pick is the most questionable, but fortune favors the bold! Kid has unlimited upside (shooting, on ball and team D, nba level passing) but he had such an abysmal (albeit 1 game) tourney that it definately soured me a bit.

Scenario is the same as above, but I move Ivey here and go after another guard who has more defensive potential. This is about the only scenario where instead of Monk Im looking at Brogdon, Fultz etc. Reed could be a monster or he could set us back another year, and were in the Cooper Flagg sweepstakes.

5) I think there are some later NBA ready players we should try and get back into the draft for, Knecht, Shannon, Filipowski and the monstrous human known as Eddy, and because of the nature of this draft I think picks will be flowing like cheap wine, lets get drunk IMO.

Bottom line,, we dont have enough talent to ignore a top 4 pick here. I would still be tempted at 5 to Take Cody Williams, Dillingham or Clingan(Gobert 2.0 imo) but if we get a top 4 we should not trade it. We just dont have enough sure high level talent yet.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,428

Post#7 » by JRoy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:34 pm

SuperBad wrote:Monk or Brogdon ,

Kyle Anderson- he’s played for playoff teams his whole career where ever he has been, both Morant, and Edwards blossomed with him on the team, he’s probably known Ivey since he was a kid hanging around the team in Memphis, he could serve as the backup PG when Cunningham is out, if Ivey can’t put it together in that role on a day to day basis. I’m also into Dario Saric, as a playmaking stretch 5 type, that can play other roles. We could give Monk and Anderson nice 3 year deals, we the third year option. We fell from true relevance in 2008, I predict we will be back by 2028. These guys help get us over the first hill.

What would DET offer for Brogdon?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#8 » by Canadafan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:59 pm

JRoy wrote:

I'd offer our top5 lottery pick this summer for Brogdan and Jerami Grant into our cap space but I'm also slightly insane when it comes to trades :lol:
We'd still have more than MLE to offer a 3rd vet.

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes
Ivey Sasser
Cade Brogdan

Plus overpay for a MLE type vet to supplant Grimes or Sasser in the rotation
JRoy
RealGM

Post#9 » by JRoy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:18 am

Canadafan wrote:
JRoy wrote:

I'd offer our top5 lottery pick this summer for Brogdan and Jerami Grant into our cap space but I'm also slightly insane when it comes to trades :lol:

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes
Ivey Sasser
Cade Brogdan

Not sure that would work for either side.

DET should protect the pick but POR would have no interest in a FRP that does not convey or becomes SRP.

Grant might make more sense than MB if only because DET has a lot of young guards needing minutes.

Not saying Grant is the answer to DET problems but he is a solid scorer and not embarrassing on d.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,054

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:43 am

JRoy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes
Ivey Sasser
Cade Brogdan

DET should protect the pick but POR would have no interest in a FRP that does not convey or becomes SRP.

Grant might make more sense than MB if only because DET has a lot of young guards needing minutes.

Not saying Grant is the answer to DET problems but he is a solid scorer and not embarrassing on d.

He's talking about our guaranteed top 5 pick this summer.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#11 » by JRoy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:45 am

bstein14 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes
Ivey Sasser
Cade Brogdan

He's talking about our guaranteed top 5 pick this summer.

Sure, but POR already has 4 picks in this draft; a high lotto, mid round and 2 SRP. A pick in another year might be better. DET will want a shot at Flagg next year, so maybe 2026?
Edrees wrote:

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#12 » by Canadafan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:47 am

^^^^yes, I meant our 2024 top5 pick.
I'd be more happier to offer a future draft pick to take them into our cap though. We need another swing at a good young player this summer.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#13 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:54 pm

I have a crazy take on this one. Maybe the Pistons should look to see if they could pull Thompson on a 2 year deal with an option for a third at 35 million. It would be a huge over pay short term but he is still a good shooter (despite what I saw in the play in game). He would be the perfect pair to Cade in my eyes. I’m not sure the Pistons could pull it off but it’s the perfect fit next to him.

The Pistons also should draft the best shooting 4 they can get. I’m hoping to win the lotto to get Sarr. It would make this team able to turn the page.

C Duren/Stewart
F Sarr/Fontecchio
F Grimes/Thompson
G Thompson/Ivey
G Cade/Sasser

Pistons could also look to move a younger player or two to address other areas of need.

Return to Detroit Pistons