ImageImageImage

New Edwards article rating our assets

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Re: New Edwards article rating our assets 

Post#21 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Pandev wrote:Its not hopeless, we do have young assets that we can deal. We just need to really maximise their value and get back proven talent in potential trades. Not allow the value to go to ZERO like Weaver did with Killian. :banghead:

I look at what van Gundy and Bowers did when they took over a 20 win roster with Ersan, Dj Augustine, Singler, Moose, Smith and Jennings with torn achilies and somehow turned those assets into prime Tobias, Bullock, Reggie, Morris and 44 wins in the span of 18 months.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/transactions/2015/detroit-pistons/trade/

He won so many trades and not to mention Blake who was All NBA 3rd team after SVG got fired but blew out his knee.

He just missed badly in the draft and gave FA signing too much money, but a lot better than Weavers 4 years and 13 wins.

SVG was fired by Gores after 4 years

I absolutely believe if SVG made a single different draft decision and selected either D Booker or D Mitchell, he'd still be the Pistons GM and heralded as a pretty good one to boot. And its not just some hindsight thing, I remember both Booker and Mitchell being heavily considered with our pick. Its amazing how 1 or 2 wrong draft decisions can majorly screw things up.

I'll say it, Weaver has been worse than SVG so far. He's missed on far more than he's hit.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,766

Post#22 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:34 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I watched that Clips/Suns game last night, and I was left with the thought;

"Is it possible to land Devin Booker next to Cade?"

That team is absolutely cooked. They are not going to win anything.

Perhaps a deal can be swung, coughing up that top pick, amd an assortment of players. You out Book next to Cade, amd we are cooking.

Trade ivey/Stewart/Duren even ausar plus that pick, and then use the cap money to fill out the team.

Cade
Book
Grayson
Tek
Claxton

Weaver, if hes still the GM, has a ton of work to do.

Booker would be awesome but if the Suns blow it up, KD is going to get moved first. Beal is untradeable.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#23 » by zeebneeb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm

theBigLip wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I watched that Clips/Suns game last night, and I was left with the thought;

"Is it possible to land Devin Booker next to Cade?"

That team is absolutely cooked. They are not going to win anything.

Perhaps a deal can be swung, coughing up that top pick, amd an assortment of players. You out Book next to Cade, amd we are cooking.

Trade ivey/Stewart/Duren even ausar plus that pick, and then use the cap money to fill out the team.

Cade
Book
Grayson
Tek
Claxton

Weaver, if hes still the GM, has a ton of work to do.

Booker would be awesome but if the Suns blow it up, KD is going to get moved first. Beal is untradeable.
There is no playbook for PHX to follow. Their most valuable asset is Booker, without question. He is in his prime.

It all depends on the owner, and if he's ready to blow it the hell up. If he is, maximum haul for Booker will be required, and there is no other team that could cough up, what the market value would be.

If the Pistons do indeed land #1, a deal for just about any player can he had for sure, when combined with some of the teams recent draft assets.

#1+Duren
#1+Ivey
#1+Ausar

Now mix and match, and very few players are off the list. Example;

#1+Duren+Ivey

Obviously adding ballast(contracts)will be needed for some players, but it shows that the Pistons can indeed go out, and land that partner for Cade, and then use the insane cap space, to fill out the team.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,326

Post#24 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:10 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:
Pandev wrote:Its not hopeless, we do have young assets that we can deal. We just need to really maximise their value and get back proven talent in potential trades. Not allow the value to go to ZERO like Weaver did with Killian. :banghead:

I look at what van Gundy and Bowers did when they took over a 20 win roster with Ersan, Dj Augustine, Singler, Moose, Smith and Jennings with torn achilies and somehow turned those assets into prime Tobias, Bullock, Reggie, Morris and 44 wins in the span of 18 months.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/transactions/2015/detroit-pistons/trade/

He won so many trades and not to mention Blake who was All NBA 3rd team after SVG got fired but blew out his knee.

He just missed badly in the draft and gave FA signing too much money, but a lot better than Weavers 4 years and 13 wins.

SVG was fired by Gores after 4 years

I absolutely believe if SVG made a single different draft decision and selected either D Booker or D Mitchell, he'd still be the Pistons GM and heralded as a pretty good one to boot. And its not just some hindsight thing, I remember both Booker and Mitchell being heavily considered with our pick. Its amazing how 1 or 2 wrong draft decisions can majorly screw things up.

I'll say it, Weaver has been worse than SVG so far. He's missed on far more than he's hit.

I remember on this board in 2015 a lot of posters were clamoring for Justise Winslow when he was still available at 8, and there was a sense of disappointment when we took Stanley Johnson instead. Turns out they both went on to have underwhelming careers. Booker seemed to be less on posters' radar although it sounds like SVG did strongly consider him.

The real egregious decision was in 2017 at pick 12 when we were all basically advocating for Donovan Mitchell and SVG took Kennard. It seemed so obvious at the time that Mitchell would be the better player and it became even more clear that was the case when the NBA season started.

SVG was just not a great draft evaluator.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#25 » by Rip32 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 pm

I never wanted Ivey because the Pistons lacked a true point guard. Cade is not that! We should have taken Mathurin. But at this point, I'd rather trade Cade than Ivey. Cade is soft and he lacks the heart and temperament to follow other Pistons greats i.e. Zeke, Joe D, Dave Bing, Chaunz Billups and Bob Lanier (Rest In Peace).

The blue print for success we've seen during UConn double back. F shooters for Cade, period!!! Get guys who can create their own shot and drive, the move you have the better.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#26 » by joedumars1 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:00 pm

Rip32 wrote:I never wanted Ivey because the Pistons lacked a true point guard. Cade is not that! We should have taken Mathurin. But at this point, I'd rather trade Cade than Ivey. Cade is soft and he lacks the heart and temperament to follow other Pistons greats i.e. Zeke, Joe D, Dave Bing, Chaunz Billups and Bob Lanier (Rest In Peace).

The blue print for success we've seen during UConn double back. F shooters for Cade, period!!! Get guys who can create their own shot and drive, the move you have the better.

What players in the league today have that temperament? I’d guess maybe 1-2? Steph? Idk, he retiring soon. Jokic is just a badass, idk tempremant tho. Just seems ppl/players like that aren’t around much anymore
Fennis Dembo
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#27 » by Fennis Dembo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:07 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:

Weaver has been worse than every Detroit GM not named Matt Millen, and he's working at this. The Pistons have not won 3 straight games in two years. This is historical losing.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,094

Post#28 » by MrBigShot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:32 am

Rip32 wrote:I never wanted Ivey because the Pistons lacked a true point guard. Cade is not that! We should have taken Mathurin. But at this point, I'd rather trade Cade than Ivey. Cade is soft and he lacks the heart and temperament to follow other Pistons greats i.e. Zeke, Joe D, Dave Bing, Chaunz Billups and Bob Lanier (Rest In Peace).

I actually think cade showed he can be a the lead guard/primary ball handler. He had stretches where he was efficient, cut down on turnovers, and looked dominant this year.

More than anything I think he just needs more talent around him to take pressure off him. Our roster just isn't cutting it.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#29 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:12 pm

Fennis Dembo wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:

Weaver has been worse than every Detroit GM not named Matt Millen, and he's working at this. The Pistons have not won 3 straight games in two years. This is historical losing.

Good point. Its like the last regime isn't good enough so we hire an even worse option.

SVG > Weaver
Casey > Monty
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#30 » by joedumars1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:05 pm

It sucks ausar went down, I’m excited to see what he looks like next year. He just seems like the type to be working on his game at all times no distraction. So let’s hope he will be ok.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#31 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:47 am

This is an absolutely dismal set of assets for a team that has picked as many times in the high first round as we have.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#32 » by zeebneeb » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:55 am

Snakebites wrote:This is an absolutely dismal set of assets for a team that has picked as many times in the high first round as we have.
Not really. You have Cade.

Everyone else can be shipped for one guy, and then in free agency you can add players around the two.

Problem is that Weaver is the GM.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 735

Post#33 » by A_dub06 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:32 am

This will be a wildly unpopular opinion, but with the cupboards being as Baron as they are I’d want sweeping change firing Weaver, Monty, Tellem and everyone in our scouting/development department. Would try and hire a younger modern thinking up and coming GM and get home to hire the entire front office and basically do another tear down. We got screwed in lottery luck but that doesn’t negate the sheer ineptitude of the entire organisation on every level. We need a fresh start and I know that pains many to hear but getting a 27 year old sub all star isn’t going to fix this roster or its trajectory. That will only mean trading out what minimal assets we have with no mechanism to take the next step.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#34 » by JNewton » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:52 am

A_dub06 wrote:This will be a wildly unpopular opinion, but with the cupboards being as Baron as they are I’d want sweeping change firing Weaver, Monty, Tellem and everyone in our scouting/development department. Would try and hire a younger modern thinking up and coming GM and get home to hire the entire front office and basically do another tear down. We got screwed in lottery luck but that doesn’t negate the sheer ineptitude of the entire organisation on every level. We need a fresh start and I know that pains many to hear but getting a 27 year old sub all star isn’t going to fix this roster or its trajectory. That will only mean trading out what minimal assets we have with no mechanism to take the next step.

This is the credited response. I don't see any way of salvaging the current team. Signing Tobias Harris to a max as seems to be the plan is certainly not going to move the needle.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#35 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:This is an absolutely dismal set of assets for a team that has picked as many times in the high first round as we have.

It really is a depressing "collection." Especially considering all of the high end assets Detroit has had over the last several seasons.

2020: #7 pick, #16 pick, #19 pick
2021: #1 pick
2022: #5 pick, #13 pick
2023: #5 pick, #25 pick

Then you have to consider the gobs of cap space Detroit has had every year.

2020: $30 mil in cap space
2021: $18 mil in cap space
2022: $30 mil in cap space
2023: $30 mil in cap space

Despite all this, Detroit has consistently regressed over that time frame.

Oh and Detroit STILL owes a 1st, while having zero incoming 1sts.

Troy Weaver is an absolute trash GM.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#36 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:55 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Not really. You have Cade.

Everyone else can be shipped for one guy, and then in free agency you can add players around the two.

Problem is that Weaver is the GM.

Most of our guys could not fetch an equivalent pick in a typical draft- nevermind this draft- picks aren’t worth as much in this draft.

In a typical draft I doubt we could get the first pick for Cade with his question marks in contract and durability. There’s reason to believe he’ll be a star, but he’s not a can’t-miss franchise player- he’s not one of those guys worth more than the max, so his value will drop again once he’s extended. That doesn’t happen with REAL max guys.

Ivey would never fetch a number five in a typical draft. Ditto Ausar.

Killian? Gone for nothing. Bey? Gone for….Wiseman. Stewart is probably roughly neutral value or slightly positive- we might get a late first from a contender for him.

So…Duren maybe? Not overwhelmingly more. Everyone else has depreciated.

Ideally, at least some of these guys would be worth MORE than an equivalent pick in the draft. That’s what is ideally supposed to happen if you’re a competent team. Not every time but at least a better portion of the time. Think the Celtics would have ever traded Tatum for a third pick? What about the Mavs? They moving Luka? Tyrese Maxey is sure worth a lot more than 22 or whatever his pick number was. If you do it right these guys are supposed to get MORE valuable as they get further from the draft. We’ve had tons of chances to obtain appreciating assets and simply have failed to do so.

So yeah, that’s the basis for my comment. And I think it’s a good one.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,690

Post#37 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:18 pm

Weavers valuation of players feels dated. I'm not sure if the plan was "aquire assets now, figure out later", or if he actually thought this collection of talent could work. Either way, it kinda feels like Weaver out-clevered himself. He thought he was smarter than rest of league, but they all adapted and we have not.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#38 » by Canadafan » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm

We should be quite happy with Duren and Stew at center. Even if they split the minutes evenly, thats a pretty good tandem to have.
We should be quite happy with Cade as our lead guy. What we need is a good vet to back him up and also play a little alongside of him. Paul and Booker were deadly together. There's no reason we can't have another point guard play alongside of Cade.
We should be quite happy we have a top 5 pick that could hopefully bring us some magic this draft.
We should be quite happy we have $60million in capspace to add a few players.
We should be quite happy that we have Ausar Ivey Fontecchio amd even Grimes and Sasser who are all basically bench level players but possibly a few could breakout and be some starting level players. Ausar and Ivey most specifically.
I luv my rose colored glasses and refuse to let u negative nancies rip them off my face! Hahahah
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:02 pm

Canadafan wrote:We should be quite happy with Duren and Stew at center. Even if they split the minutes evenly, thats a pretty good tandem to have.
We should be quite happy with Cade as our lead guy. What we need is a good vet to back him up and also play a little alongside of him. Paul and Booker were deadly together. There's no reason we can't have another point guard play alongside of Cade.
We should be quite happy we have a top 5 pick that could hopefully bring us some magic this draft.
We should be quite happy we have $60million in capspace to add a few players.
We should be quite happy that we have Ausar Ivey Fontecchio amd even Grimes and Sasser who are all basically bench level players but possibly a few could breakout and be some starting level players. Ausar and Ivey most specifically.
I luv my rose colored glasses and refuse to let u negative nancies rip them off my face! Hahahah
It's sorta true simultaneously. There IS still reason to be hopeful despite how dire it looks/feels. :lol:
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#40 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:16 pm

There are no bad contracts. Cade could become an albatross if he continues to have injury problems, but for now let's hope it's all related to the same core injury and that after 2 years he'll finally be 100%. I actually think Stewarts contract is quite reasonable and will increase in value over time. Outside of that, we have a ton of flexibility.

One potential issue is that eventually all these rookie contracts do need to be picked up or declined. You can't really pay Cade, Ivey, Ausar AND Duren (assuming they all develop). Eventually, you need to pair down. It's inevitable. Either they play themselves out OR we can't afford them. That's one of the many reasons it makes sense to consolidate assets. Take 2-3 of those pieces and move them for 1 large contract and then build around that. 4 is too many for a "core" in terms of payroll. It doesn't matter now, but it's not sustainable. And especially not if people are expecting us to go out and spend big this summer. Eventually that bill comes due.

Return to Detroit Pistons