ImageImageImage

New Edwards article rating our assets

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

New Edwards article rating our assets 

Post#1 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:44 pm

https://theathletic.com/5396117/2024/04/08/pistons-future-trade-chips-assets-nba/

He also states that Ivey+the pick most likely things we use in a trade. Hopefully thats the play we do.

Sad that the 2024 pick in a weak draft is likely our 2nd best asset. Weaver really stinks.

1. Cade
2.2024 pick
3.Ausar
4.Duren
5.Ivey
6.Tecch
6B Stew

5.Ivey

Don’t get me wrong: The ever-so-quick Ivey is Detroit’s best player at getting to the rim. However, the explosiveness he uses to get there doesn’t always equate to points, as his decision-making can be hit or miss (he can be turnover prone, force shots and isn’t yet an elite finisher). If Ivey were a consistent 3-point shooter, he’d be two spots higher on this list. However, he’s been nothing but streaky from beyond the arc, which has been the biggest hurdle to making the pairing with Cunningham fit more cleanly. Defensively, Ivey has really struggled. He competes and plays hard, but it doesn’t mean good defense is being played.
To be fair, Ivey, more than anyone else on the roster, has had the hardest season to navigate. To start the year, his new head coach brought him off the bench in favor of a player no longer in the NBA, just months after the No. 5 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft earned All-Rookie honors. He’s had to adjust to playing alongside a ball-dominant guard after being the ball-dominant guard as a rookie. Furthermore, because Pistons coach Monty Williams didn’t stagger Cunningham and Ivey for most of the season, he didn’t get significant stretches to play without Cunningham and be the focal point of the offense. Ivey drew the short end of the stick this season.

It feels like if Detroit were going to make a big trade this summer, the draft pick and Ivey would be the two most likely casualties. And while Ivey has had a sophomore-slump season, a few front-office executives put that more on Detroit’s situation than the 22-year-old’s skill set.

I’m not saying the Cunningham-Ivey pairing can’t work. I’m saying it hasn’t really yet, and because of that, as well as Detroit’s situation, the people in charge might have to make decisions sooner than they anticipated.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,766

Re: New Edwards article rating our assets 

Post#2 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:52 pm

I read the article. Makes sense. It’s hard to say what we should move without knowing what we’re trading for. But our FRP is likely on the move. This happens before free agency, which is unfortunate, but an early indicator of how busy our offseason will be.

As for Ivey? SG is one of the easier positions to fill. But he’s still relatively inexpensive on his rookie deal so it’s not like we’re forced to move him. But if a combo like Ivey and our FRP starts opening talks on Mikal Bridges/Dejaunte Murray trades (already rumored), then sure, let’s do it!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,690

Post#3 » by Cowology » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:07 am

Ivey, Duren AND the pick can go. Ausar isn't untouchable, but HIGH upside. Elite two-way wings are what you want and IF he develops a shot he's a good fit w/ Cade. Probably a long shot, but at this point we may need to get a little lucky.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#4 » by Spider156 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:28 am

Cowology wrote:Ivey, Duren AND the pick can go. Ausar isn't untouchable, but HIGH upside. Elite two-way wings are what you want and IF he develops a shot he's a good fit w/ Cade. Probably a long shot, but at this point we may need to get a little lucky.

I’m looking at this REALLY simple. The goal is to get a 27 year old budding star to help Cade score in bunches. THAT is our only goal. I’d say 2-3 “core” players are available. To me Sasser Ivey Stewart Duren should all be on the block to get that player. I wouldn’t overthink it. Honestly I would actually draft Sarr if we can and just trade Duren. Why? Because Sarr gives us another shot at a potential elite player next to Cade He’s a legit 7 footer and he can guard much better than Duren and can do everything Duren can do now. I do believe Weaver has the balls to make these decisions and I hope he executes. One thing we can count on him is during draft night, he’s quite creative even if he trades the first pick he will find a way to get another pick. For example Duren for Memphis pick and GG Jackson is a pretty good trade for both teams.
Defense wins championships
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#5 » by Pandev » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:34 am

So again its been confirmed we had Murray for Ivey and Ausar on the table from the Hawks before the deadline. But Weaver said no.

Murray is on a very team friendly long term deal and has since blown up with Trae out injured.

I would have done that deal as both Ivey and Ausar have a long way to go as players. Sure they have 'potential' but they also have massive holes in their games like errr shooting. Remember that guy Killian Hayes who was the 7th pick - we let his value go all the way to ZERO based on potential.

Murray has already been an All Star with the Spurs.

Know when to hold em, and when to FLIP them.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#6 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:50 pm

Pandev wrote:So again its been confirmed we had Murray for Ivey and Ausar on the table from the Hawks before the deadline. But Weaver said no.

Murray is on a very team friendly long term deal and has since blown up with Trae out injured.

I would have done that deal as both Ivey and Ausar have a long way to go as players. Sure they have 'potential' but they also have massive holes in their games like errr shooting. Remember that guy Killian Hayes who was the 7th pick - we let his value go all the way to ZERO based on potential.

Murray has already been an All Star with the Spurs.

Know when to hold em, and when to FLIP them.

Yeah I'd of done that deal as well. I'd rather hold Ausar and move the pick in there instead but I'd do what it takes to get it done. Murray would be the most talented player Cades played with hes better then Grant. Murray may not be the optimal fit but he surely has talent which were lacking. I still buy that his All NBA defense from SA is still in there its just the Atlanta scheme that made it go away.

The other thing with Murray would be if it didnt work out we could easily recoup value on him with another trade. Hes under contract at a very very affordable 30mill per for 3 seasons after this. Their is even a argument that in a seasons time if we wanted to trade Murray we could end up getting more value then what Ivey+whatever we give up in the deal would be worth at that time.

As I said I'd rather move the pick then Ausar in a deal. Ausar has alot of potential but if he cant shoot hes not a starter. I would say more then likely he wont get their on the shooting but if he does hes going to be a star.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#7 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:36 pm

Pandev wrote:So again its been confirmed we had Murray for Ivey and Ausar on the table from the Hawks before the deadline. But Weaver said no.

It's been confirmed that there were talks. The offer was never specified.

Note with Trae out injured. Murray is at his best by far as a ball-dominant primary handler. Not a good fit with Cade. And his defense has tanked this season, which has not helped things in Atlanta and would not help things in Detroit (both weak on defense in the first place).

Atlanta wants to move on because he's a poor fit with their other ball-dominant handler. Why just replicate that situation in Detroit?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,766

Post#8 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:50 pm

Crymson wrote:

It's been confirmed that there were talks. The offer was never specified.

Note with Trae out injured. Murray is at his best by far as a ball-dominant primary handler. Not a good fit with Cade. And his defense has tanked this season, which has not helped things in Atlanta and would not help things in Detroit (both weak on defense in the first place).

Atlanta wants to move on because he's a poor fit with their other ball-dominant handler. Why just replicate that situation in Detroit?

Good points. We need shooters more than ball dominant players.

Other good point is trades and rumors. We rarely find out exact offers unless a trade actually goes through, or a retired GM spills his beans a few years after the fact. Weaver gets hammered for not doing trades, yet we really don’t know what, if anything was offered. And it seems the trades that do happen we never hear about before they are actually executed. Which implies agents and GMs are likely trying to pump up interest and creating the rumors.
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#9 » by kierkegaard » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:20 pm

I've not kept up with recent discussions here. So I may be making a mute point. But rate of change is so important in accessing direction and future outcomes. That applies to everything.

We've seen huge jumps in Ivey's and Duren's shooting from their rookie year. For Ivey it is 3's. For Duren it is the FT% since he only shoots layups during game time action, which I'm sure is by design by the coaching staff. To me that projects continued improvement, perhaps not at the same rate but improvement nevertheless.

Duren will develop a mid range shot. And Ivey will become much less streaky in his shooting. There are just too many examples of players that came into the league with superior athleticism but inferior shooting who improved their shot immensely over time. DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge come to mind.

Duren and Ivey are youngsters.

Given recent history, it's really hard. But patience with this team is really our best game plan, I believe, for building a contender.

That said, I'm always more concerned with injuries early in a career than performance, assuming the talent is there to begin with. So I'm somewhat concerned about Cade's knees/shins as well as Duren's ankles.
JerseyJungle
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#10 » by JerseyJungle » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:49 pm

Hats off to you guys who still post here. I can't watch the Pistons anymore.

This season has been a shocker. I really thought we had a shot at .500. The losing streak was as bad as the 0-16 Lions. Worse - because we knew that team sucked. This team was supposed to take a significant step forward.

Whatever assets we have -- they're not good. Time to blow it all up - the GM, coach, and players. Hit reset. Fire sale, everything, Get as many draft picks as you can. We are going nowhere with this group. They are too used to losing.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#11 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:13 pm

It's interesting the 2024 pick is ranked higher than Ausar since this is considered a weak draft. I wonder if that would change if we got the 5th pick again. Not surprised Ivey is so low on the list.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:22 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:It's interesting the 2024 pick is ranked higher than Ausar since this is considered a weak draft. I wonder if that would change if we got the 5th pick again. Not surprised Ivey is so low on the list.

I think Ausar’s health issues are a factor there too.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#13 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:53 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:It's interesting the 2024 pick is ranked higher than Ausar since this is considered a weak draft. I wonder if that would change if we got the 5th pick again. Not surprised Ivey is so low on the list.

Not sure i agree that the pick has more value
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,326

Post#14 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:18 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Yeah that was my main contention with JEIII's list. I don't think I'd take the #1 pick in this weak draft over Ausar. People get enamored by the "#1 pick" label but this draft has no clear-cut top prospect, and you're essentially debating Alex Sarr vs Risacher. If I had to throw money on who ends up having the better career out of them or Ausar I'm taking the latter.
dezzie_33
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#15 » by dezzie_33 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:51 pm

Ivey and 2024 pick for Mikal Bridges?

Sign Monk

C: Duren
PF: Bridges
SF: Ausar
SG: Monk
PG: Cade
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#16 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:29 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Yeah that was my main contention with JEIII's list. I don't think I'd take the #1 pick in this weak draft over Ausar. People get enamored by the "#1 pick" label but this draft has no clear-cut top prospect, and you're essentially debating Alex Sarr vs Risacher. If I had to throw money on who ends up having the better career out of them or Ausar I'm taking the latter.

Yeah Ausars Defensive potential alone has shown more upside than any type of skill coming out of the draft so far
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#17 » by King Bugs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:42 pm

Cowology wrote:Ivey, Duren AND the pick can go. Ausar isn't untouchable, but HIGH upside.

This is basically where I am. It sucks that as a franchise we are completely unable to hit on our draft picks year in and year out.

The only scenario where I'm keeping the pick is if we're in a position to get Sarr. I want rim protection and interior defense, Duren gives us none, he is fool's gold. You can't build a defense around a center like that. I am unimpressed with hollow massive double double games, Drummond ruined that for me.

Ditching Ivey will hurt my heart because he was absolutely dynamic during that little stretch where he caught fire from 3 and was doing his best Donovan Mitchell impression. But it was just a stretch and most importantly his defense is horrific. Jaden's defensive awareness is... zero and it's so disappointing. Gonna be hard to win with that.

Then we have the asset that we're sure to keep and unfortunately max out... our #1 pick that can't stay on the floor and doesn't guarantee us a 20 win season when he isn't injured. I do not believe in Cade Cunningham, I don't think he can elevate a team and I just hate his game. I know that's not a popular take, but as Monty said during the losing streak "It is what it is".

Everything about our situation feels so hopeless.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#18 » by Pandev » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:31 am

Its not hopeless, we do have young assets that we can deal. We just need to really maximise their value and get back proven talent in potential trades. Not allow the value to go to ZERO like Weaver did with Killian. :banghead:

I look at what van Gundy and Bowers did when they took over a 20 win roster with Ersan, Dj Augustine, Singler, Moose, Smith and Jennings with torn achilies and somehow turned those assets into prime Tobias, Bullock, Reggie, Morris and 44 wins in the span of 18 months.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/transactions/2015/detroit-pistons/trade/

He won so many trades and not to mention Blake who was All NBA 3rd team after SVG got fired but blew out his knee.

He just missed badly in the draft and gave FA signing too much money, but a lot better than Weavers 4 years and 13 wins.

SVG was fired by Gores after 4 years
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#19 » by zeebneeb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

I watched that Clips/Suns game last night, and I was left with the thought;

"Is it possible to land Devin Booker next to Cade?"

That team is absolutely cooked. They are not going to win anything.

Perhaps a deal can be swung, coughing up that top pick, amd an assortment of players. You out Book next to Cade, amd we are cooking.

Trade ivey/Stewart/Duren even ausar plus that pick, and then use the cap money to fill out the team.

Cade
Book
Grayson
Tek
Claxton

Weaver, if hes still the GM, has a ton of work to do.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#20 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:12 pm

The suns barely own their picks so I doubt they’ll blow it up this early.

Return to Detroit Pistons