ImageImageImage

Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#21 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 am

Maybe, he get Joe D. back.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,797

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:02 am

Dumars wasn't just our golden era.

He was also the start of the dismal era we currently find ourselves in. Again, lets not allow nostalgia to cloud our judgement here.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#23 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:19 am

Snakebites wrote:Dumars wasn't just our golden era.

He was also the start of the dismal era we currently find ourselves in. Again, lets not allow nostalgia to cloud our judgement here.

Dumars learned from his mistakes tho and he rarely held bad picks for too long.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 am

bstein14 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Dumars wasn't just our golden era.

Dumars learned from his mistakes tho and he rarely held bad picks for too long.

We’re setting the bar low if we’re staying late stage Dumars is something we’d like to go back to.

If one positive can be said about Weaver it’s that he never saddled us with harmful negative assets or toxic players that actively made us worse.

Dumars…yeah, he did that.

There’s lots of different ways a GM can cripple a franchise. That Dumars’ brand of suck differs from Weaver’s shouldn’t be an endorsement.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#25 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:sweeping changes? That should include firing the underperforming staff like Weaver and/or Monty...but we all know Monty is getting more time and I don't know Gores has it in him to fire Weaver for some strange reason.

I never expected Monty to be fired . Hes obv been terrible dont get me wrong. Its just a matter of the contract being so huge and guaranteed. Gores is at least going to let him get some guys he wants on the roster and see how the team looks next season. If we stink again next season I could see him being removed early in the season though.

If Monty is here next season, then Gores continues to be a complete joke. This season's Monty was the worst coach the NBA has seen in decades. If he were a first-year coach, he'd very possibly have been fired in December. Unfortunately, Gores chose to throw league-record money at a coach with a mediocre track record. If not for Phoenix's spectacular injury luck in 2021, Monty would have a less impressive playoff resume than Casey.

He was outrageously bad this season. It should not be possible for an NBA coach to be so bad, but here we are.

Troy obv should be fired. Roster is terrible filled with Gleague talent no depth. He said the goal was "to compete for 82 games" we werent tanking this year. Troy has done a terrible job surely not above a replacement level GM get him out of here.

I think this roster could've won 30 games with a good coach -- it instead had a generationally bad coach -- but there's no denying that the roster he fielded was inadequate on just about every level. Not THIS bad, but definitely inadequate.

Snakebites wrote:We’re setting the bar low if we’re staying late stage Dumars is something we’d like to go back to.

If one positive can be said about Weaver it’s that he never saddled us with harmful negative assets or toxic players that actively made us worse.

There’s lots of different ways a GM can cripple a franchise. That Dumars’ brand of suck differs from Weaver’s shouldn’t be an endorsement.

Dumars was arguably the worst GM in the league across his final seven seasons with the organization. How quickly some forget.

He was only actually good for his first four years, and even that included one of the most egregious draft whiffs in NBA history. From the offseason immediately after the championship, he rode the core and let the roster at large atrophy. Then came the Chauncey trade, and his job performance (already relatively poor for four seasons) went very steeply downhill for the remainder of his tenure.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#26 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:37 am

Crymson wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:sweeping changes? That should include firing the underperforming staff like Weaver and/or Monty...but we all know Monty is getting more time and I don't know Gores has it in him to fire Weaver for some strange reason.

I never expected Monty to be fired . Hes obv been terrible dont get me wrong. Its just a matter of the contract being so huge and guaranteed. Gores is at least going to let him get some guys he wants on the roster and see how the team looks next season. If we stink again next season I could see him being removed early in the season though.

If Monty is here next season, then Gores continues to be a complete joke. This season's Monty was the worst coach the NBA has seen in decades. If he were a first-year coach, he'd very possibly have been fired in December. Unfortunately, Gores chose to throw league-record money at a coach with a mediocre track record. If not for Phoenix's spectacular injury luck in 2021, Monty would have a less impressive playoff resume than Casey.

He was outrageously bad this season. It should not be possible for an NBA coach to be so bad, but here we are.

Troy obv should be fired. Roster is terrible filled with Gleague talent no depth. He said the goal was "to compete for 82 games" we werent tanking this year. Troy has done a terrible job surely not above a replacement level GM get him out of here.

I think this roster could've won 30 games with a good coach -- it instead had a generationally bad coach -- but there's no denying that the roster he fielded was inadequate on just about every level. Not THIS bad, but definitely inadequate.

Snakebites wrote:We’re setting the bar low if we’re staying late stage Dumars is something we’d like to go back to.

Dumars was the worst GM in the league across his final seven seasons. How quickly some forget.

He was only actually good for his first four years, and even that included one of the most egregious draft whiffs of all time. From the offseason immediately after the championship, he rode the core and let the roster at large atrophy. Then came the Chauncey trade, and that was that.

Arguably his last good move of any significance was signing Dice to the MLE in 2005.

And he was here a long time after that….
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#27 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 am

Snakebites wrote:
Arguably his last good move of any significance was signing Dice to the MLE in 2005.

And he was here a long time after that….

McDyess was 2004. He was the team's only meaningful postseason depth until Stuckey came into his own during Chauncey's final season.

Having even just one other productive bench guy might have gotten the Pistons over the hump in 2005, 2006, or (less so) 2007. But Dumars just couldn't do it.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,330

Post#28 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 am

I'm OK with this move if it's someone competent like Bob Myers or Tim Connelly. Then I expect Weaver will be slowly phased out as his contract runs its course and expires.
mike06181
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#29 » by mike06181 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 am

Mr Peanut wrote:I'm OK with this move if it's someone competent like Bob Myers or Tim Connelly. Then I expect Weaver will be slowly phased out as his contract runs its course and expires.

Isnt gores one of the richest owners in the nba?

If so admit your mistakes and clean house. Eat those contracts and get a former pistons greats advisor board together and find your holmes and mcdc
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#30 » by Notanoob » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:48 am

Dumars kind of got screwed when Davidson died and his wife didn't want to spend money. Everything went downhill from there, but yeah we're not bringing him back at this point. Go pay Bob Meyers or Connelly or whoever.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,353

Post#31 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 am

Crymson wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Oh I agree with you Monty is terrible crymson. I just never believed a owner who backed up the truck in his front lawn and wine and dined a coach on his private jet for the massive overpay was going to fire him year one. Gores begged the guy to coach us basically and agreed to any demands he had.

We are going to have to see year two. Hopefully we look better despite Montys coaching next year. As I said I do believe if we stink early next year it could be a early exit for Monty Williams.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#32 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 am

If the VP of Basketball Operations is not, in fact, the GM, they're doing it wrong.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#33 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:27 am

theBigLip wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Then I would package the pick with Ivey for an All-Star who can play both sides of the court and who fits.

Even if we got #1, can you name a single AllStar we can get for Ivey and our pick? I’m down, sounds great, but not realistic.

I really don't know, but I remember Boston getting Ray Allen for a Top 5 pick.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:36 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Then I would package the pick with Ivey for an All-Star who can play both sides of the court and who fits.

Even if we got #1, can you name a single AllStar we can get for Ivey and our pick? I’m down, sounds great, but not realistic.

If you go back and look at big trades theirs been plenty of stars that have been traded for some combo of young players and picks. Jimmy Butler was moved for a young Lavine before he broke out, Dunn(who looked like a bust right away) and pick 7. You can just start throwing out names of guys AD,PG13,Harden,Westbrook,CP3,D.Mitch,Leonard,Blake,Lillard,Kyrie(more then once) etc just throwing out names off the top of my head thats not all.

I would say to land a real star we would have to offer up Ivey+this pick+a future lotto to sit at the table. This would be a enticing offer because another team can gamble on the fact we just had the 13th worst record ever and we would be giving up a valuable pick. We would be betting on that were going to improve with said star.

Of course that means we need the right star to hit the market. We cant be sure who is on it today as surprises pop up. Trae Young has been mentioned as the Hawks have said they want to build around Murray but Trae isnt the optimal guy for us. We shall see what rumors pop up as the draft approaches.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#35 » by thesack12 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:44 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

If you go back and look at big trades theirs been plenty of stars that have been traded for some combo of young players and picks. Jimmy Butler was moved for a young Lavine before he broke out, Dunn(who looked like a bust right away) and pick 7. You can just start throwing out names of guys AD,PG13,Harden,Westbrook,CP3,D.Mitch,Leonard,Blake,Lillard,Kyrie(more then once) etc just throwing out names off the top of my head thats not all.

I would say to land a real star we would have to offer up Ivey+this pick+a future lotto to sit at the table. This would be a enticing offer because another team can gamble on the fact we just had the 13th worst record ever and we would be giving up a valuable pick. We would be betting on that were going to improve with said star.

Of course that means we need the right star to hit the market. We cant be sure who is on it today as surprises pop up. Trae Young has been mentioned as the Hawks have said they want to build around Murray but Trae isnt the optimal guy for us. We shall see what rumors pop up as the draft approaches.

Detroit can't offer future picks, until the one owed to the Knicks has been satisfied. At the rate its been going, that won't happen until 2027.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#36 » by Rip32 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:44 pm

This is hog wash! The president of bball operations will be nothing more than a yes man to the cocaine sniffer Gores. Gores has ruin this once proud franchise. SALE the f'ing team you coke head!!!

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#37 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:56 pm

With the current first round pairings, it'll be most interesting to see what happens...

Out of the WC play-in teams whichever two teams don't make the playoffs out of LAL, GSW, Kings, and Pelicans you'd have to think some major changes could be in store. Out of the EC play-in teams we pretty much know that the Bulls and Hawks aren't going to make the playoffs and I think its safe to say we already expect a major move or two from both those franchises this summer.

In the East if Cleveland, New York, or Milwaukee lose in the first round I think we could see some of those teams make a big move to try and change things, although the Bucks the move might be coaching related again.

In the West its the Clippers, Dallas and Suns but all those teams are so entrenched in win now that its hard to see any of them take a step back and trade a good player for younger guys. If anything its likely if the Clippers are a first round out that PG13 leaves town for a Max from Philly, which then changes things up a bit.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 pm

thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:

Detroit can't offer future picks, until the one owed to the Knicks has been satisfied. At the rate its been going, that won't happen until 2027.

We can offer a future 1st rounder on draft night.

"Teams often skirt the Stepien rule by trading picks on draft night. But for this year’s trade deadline, the Pistons will only be able to offer one distant first in 2029 or 2030, because of the NBA’s 7-year rule, which prevents teams from trading picks more than seven years in advance."

Of course looks like it wont be until 2029 or 2030 so yeah not as valuable as if it was like 2025 or 2026 too far away.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:51 pm

The owed first rounder is rough. Weaver definitely assumed we’d be good enough for that to convert by now. He didn’t think it would be hamstringing us this long.

He bet on himself and the team lost.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#40 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:54 pm

I wouldn't want Trae Young.. We need guys who can make any team better. Great defender who are efficient shooters. I would look at the struggling teams. Mikal Bridges is the guy who comes to mind.

Return to Detroit Pistons