ImageImageImage

Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#1 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:40 pm

I posted this in another thread but I think it deserves it own. Sounds like were going to be hiring someone to be Troys boss. Personally I would just fire Troy at this point hes proven to be incompetent. That said we surely dont want Troy making decisions with one foot out the door either.

It does say that whoever is brought in could realistically hire their own people. So hopefully that gives us a out on firing Troy. I also would like to fire Monty but I assume with him only being here one season and getting a record contract hes going to at least get half a year two.

"Change might be coming, though. Team and league sources told The Athletic that Gores is considering hiring a president of basketball operations to have the final say on all basketball matters. The Pistons haven’t had someone in that exact role since 2018. As for Williams, it appears as of now that he will be back next season, assuming he demonstrates that he can deliver significantly more progress in the development of its team and players.

The ultimate goal for the Pistons, per team and league sources, is to have total synergy from the top down, making the situation fluid in the event Gores does decide to hire a new head decision-maker. Realistically, that person could request to hire his/her own people."

Read on Twitter

https://theathletic.com/5402332/2024/04/14/pistons-worst-season-change-nba/?source=emp_shared_article
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 183

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#2 » by JNewton » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 pm

So, nobody is getting fired and Gores will simply add another incompetent flunkie into the front office. Should go swimmingly. I'll see everyone next year at this time as the 10-72 season is wrapping up.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 26

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#3 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:43 pm

JNewton wrote:So, nobody is getting fired and Gores will simply add another incompetent flunkie into the front office. Should go swimmingly. I'll see everyone next year at this time as the 10-72 season is wrapping up.

Come on now, After Troy extends Cade, drafts another non-shooter, gives $200 million to Tobias and feeds the families of some other washed up Tellem connections, we should have the twenty win barrier locked up for the next five years!

Seriously, fire Troy and blow it up…… before it’s too late
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,802

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm

I thought one of our issues was that we had too many different voices tugging the team in different directions.

So perfect. Let’s add another.
Paul Lord
Junior
And1: 48

Post#5 » by Paul Lord » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:16 pm

Go get Bob Myers and Becky Hammon.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#6 » by Crymson » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:02 pm

This sounds like a very Gores solution.

If Monty is retained (after one of the worst coaching seasons in modern NBA history) and comports himself next season anywhere near to how he has so far, then any positive impact the front office has this summer is likely to be very muted. Monty was functionally the 50th best coach in a 30-team league, and he's extremely likely to make a mess of any roster the front office gives him unless he magically rediscovers his brains and his integrity.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#7 » by LaSheed » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:04 pm

I predict Arn Tellum get the title president of basketball operations.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#9 » by joedumars1 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:30 pm

Gores can’t just back and let basketball ppl to the basketball things. Good luck to all of us
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#10 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:36 pm

sweeping changes? That should include firing the underperforming staff like Weaver and/or Monty...but we all know Monty is getting more time and I don't know Gores has it in him to fire Weaver for some strange reason.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#11 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:59 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:sweeping changes? That should include firing the underperforming staff like Weaver and/or Monty...but we all know Monty is getting more time and I don't know Gores has it in him to fire Weaver for some strange reason.

I never expected Monty to be fired . Hes obv been terrible dont get me wrong. Its just a matter of the contract being so huge and guaranteed. Gores is at least going to let him get some guys he wants on the roster and see how the team looks next season. If we stink again next season I could see him being removed early in the season though.

Troy obv should be fired. Roster is terrible filled with Gleague talent no depth. He said the goal was "to compete for 82 games" we werent tanking this year. Troy has done a terrible job surely not above a replacement level GM get him out of here.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,791

Post#12 » by zeebneeb » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:25 pm

See, in a normal team situation after having come off the worst season in team history, and potentially the 6th worst NBA recors of all-time(if they lose today), this was announced, I would be elated.

That, would be normal.

I have zero trust of anyone in the organization.

I fear the worst.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#13 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:58 pm

Tim Connelly opted out of his contract. Maybe it's because he knows Gores will make him the richest President of Basketball Ops in history. I'd do it.. Weaver can't be rewarded. I thought it was a great idea, but besides his work on the court, I don't like his no-answers, jive quotes, "Troy Weaver is a bad GM in any crowd" (SECURITY!), or "It's-not-a-rebuild-it's-a-retool" which is a huge sigh of relief, and almost made me forget we had the franchise's worst season"

I was watching the end of the Bulls-Knicks and thought how guys like Caruso and Hart help ANY team and how we need more guys like that. Donte, too. I'd even settle for a guy like T.J. McConnell. There's gotta be some guys who have the body to guard 1's, but are 3-D guys instead of point guards. I was hoping to see a Cade/Sasser back-court for a handful of games just to see it.

If I owned the team, I'd make sure the guys never wore black jerseys. At home, white, on the road, blue.. Back to the 1989 jerseys to remind the players any time someone wonders why we reverted to the jerseys from then. "Oh yeah, they were the BEST, not the worst". Then I would package the pick with Ivey for an All-Star who can play both sides of the court and who fits. Then, I'd use the cap to trade for guys, since I don't see us landing the top anything.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#14 » by thesack12 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:23 pm

That type of move would be very on brand for the Detroit Pistons.

Finally acknowledge that Troy Weaver is terrible, yet instead of firing him, lets go ahead and keep him in house whilst not completely stripping him of power.

Then lets push this BS mantra that "total synergy from the top down" is the ultimate goal..... Riiiiiiight, because anybody who would be worth their weight in salt as a POBO candidate would surely be eager to work alongside the previous decision maker who obviously wouldn't be his guy. And of course Troy himself wouldn't have any animosity or disdain for now working under somebody and not having complete autonomy anymore.

The new POBO would also surely be super excited to be saddled with a coach he didn't pick, and likely wouldn't want, simply because the organization made the next level type of idiotic decision to make him the highest paid coach of all time and therefore doesn't want to pay him to go away.

I mean what could go wrong with an approach like that? That type of strategy absolutely encourages "synergy."

I'm sure quality POBO candidates are going to line up to come to poorly run franchise, with a crap roster, meh assets, and be required to have their fates/success tied to legend like Troy Weaver and Monty Williams.

Brilliant strategy, absolutely brilliant.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Post#15 » by vege » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:55 pm

LaSheed wrote:I predict Arn Tellum get the title president of basketball operations.

Or his Son, or maybe someone from Weaver's family.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#16 » by BDM22 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 pm

BREAKING: Tom Gores announces Tom Gores as new President of Basketball Operations :lol:

/s
Sort
Rookie
And1: 445

Post#17 » by Sort » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:14 pm

I love that Gores gave Weaver an extension that starts next year and Williams six more years of this. And his solution is to pay another person likely a long contract that won't have the ability to fire either one of them.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,155

Post#18 » by NYPiston » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:28 pm

What a gongshow, just let Weaver go in this case. It's idiotic to leave him laying in limbo as a lame duck especially if this new decision maker is brought in to have the power to veto any Weaver move. It already started last offseason when Gores refused to let Weaver hire his own coach.

These are the worst kind of owners. If you want to make sweeping changes, make actual sweeping changes. Fire Weaver, take the poison pill of Monty's buyout, get rid of Tellem or any other crony who clearly isn't qualified to make executive basketball decisions. Those are sweeping changes, not adding more chefs to the kitchen while keeping the old chefs who didn't know how to cook.

Hopefully this new president has full autonomy to make his own decisions and hire his own people but knowing Gores, I'm skeptical that this new guy will have full power to make his own choices. Hell, the new president might be Arn Tellem himself. Imagine? I can.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#20 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 am

MortSahlfan wrote:Then I would package the pick with Ivey for an All-Star who can play both sides of the court and who fits.

Even if we got #1, can you name a single AllStar we can get for Ivey and our pick? I’m down, sounds great, but not realistic.

Return to Detroit Pistons