ImageImageImage

Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,096

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#41 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm

I don't think you can jump from failed rebuild to win now. I'd like to trade for better fitting young players. A Washington fan proposed Kispert for Ivey. Do that type of thing to whatever extent possible and see how we develop next season, including whoever we get in the draft. There just aren't any shortcuts with a franchise that won't attract top free agents.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,081

Re: Edwards-Gores is considering sweeping changes, including hiring a president of bball operations. 

Post#42 » by joedumars1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:20 pm

Snakebites wrote:Dumars wasn't just our golden era.

He was also the start of the dismal era we currently find ourselves in. Again, lets not allow nostalgia to cloud our judgement here.

You sure it wasn’t gores? Lol
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,081

Post#43 » by joedumars1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

He was also the start of the dismal era we currently find ourselves in. Again, lets not allow nostalgia to cloud our judgement here.

Dumars learned from his mistakes tho and he rarely held bad picks for too long.

We’re setting the bar low if we’re staying late stage Dumars is something we’d like to go back to.

If one positive can be said about Weaver it’s that he never saddled us with harmful negative assets or toxic players that actively made us worse.

Dumars…yeah, he did that.

There’s lots of different ways a GM can cripple a franchise. That Dumars’ brand of suck differs from Weaver’s shouldn’t be an endorsement.

We’re them bad contracts dumars or a deman to be competitive from gores? So he couldn’t go tabk mode?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,229

Post#44 » by thesack12 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:24 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Detroit can't offer future picks, until the one owed to the Knicks has been satisfied. At the rate its been going, that won't happen until 2027.

We can offer a future 1st rounder on draft night.

"Teams often skirt the Stepien rule by trading picks on draft night. But for this year’s trade deadline, the Pistons will only be able to offer one distant first in 2029 or 2030, because of the NBA’s 7-year rule, which prevents teams from trading picks more than seven years in advance."

Of course looks like it wont be until 2029 or 2030 so yeah not as valuable as if it was like 2025 or 2026 too far away.

Ahh, thanks for the insight.

I don't think its wise for this team to be trading any future 1st round picks. The risk is just too great for a team that is miles from even being relevant. Plus, we are currently seeing how owing a future 1st hamstrings your options, and its been doing that for 4 years now.

As much as it sucks, Detroit probably just needs to flush this entire Weaver era and start all over from scratch.

Pistons are STILL 2 years away from being 2 years away :banghead:
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 228

Post#45 » by Sheeeeed » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:43 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

We’re setting the bar low if we’re staying late stage Dumars is something we’d like to go back to.

If one positive can be said about Weaver it’s that he never saddled us with harmful negative assets or toxic players that actively made us worse.

There’s lots of different ways a GM can cripple a franchise. That Dumars’ brand of suck differs from Weaver’s shouldn’t be an endorsement.

We’re them bad contracts dumars or a deman to be competitive from gores? So he couldn’t go tabk mode?

That's on Dumars, and Dumars alone. If you remember interviews he gave before the 09 free agency he against rebuilding and was looking to re-tool which lead to Charlie V and Ben Gordan.

People scapegoat Karen Davidson too much during this period. There was no move Dumars could make that could add value to the franchise, all the while stay competitive. Dumars had a deal for Tayshaun on the table in 2011 he turned down that would of netted a 1st and Caron Butler who was hurt and saved Karen money.

Once Gores bought the team, it was put up or shut up for Dumars, and results were no different. Dumars had his eye on Josh Smith since the 09, but yes let's put that on Gores tho.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#46 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:47 pm

thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Detroit can't offer future picks, until the one owed to the Knicks has been satisfied. At the rate its been going, that won't happen until 2027.

Ahh, thanks for the insight.

I don't think its wise for this team to be trading any future 1st round picks. The risk is just too great for a team that is miles from even being relevant. Plus, we are currently seeing how owing a future 1st hamstrings your options, and its been doing that for 4 years now.

As much as it sucks, Detroit probably just needs to flush this entire Weaver era and start all over from scratch.

Pistons are STILL 2 years away from being 2 years away :banghead:

Agree it risky. It would have to be a really good player if I was going to consider a future 1st. Like say prime Butler or PG13 were on the trade market again and were under contract for a few years I'd back up the truck with everything we had besides Cade to get it done. I'd try to hold Ausar if possible I think getting him around a PG13 or Butler would be incredible for his development.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,836

Post#47 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:50 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Irrelevant.

This type of logic can be used to absolve anyone from just about anything. There are always circumstances that give context to bad situations.

In this case though, if Dumars really did have that pressure, it’s because he himself had failed to keep the team competitive prior to that.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,825

Post#48 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:17 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I don't think you can jump from failed rebuild to win now. I'd like to trade for better fitting young players. A Washington fan proposed Kispert for Ivey. Do that type of thing to whatever extent possible and see how we develop next season, including whoever we get in the draft. There just aren't any shortcuts with a franchise that won't attract top free agents.
I disagree, strongly. I believe that Cade is that guy, as he has demonstrated it multiple, multiple times over the course of 2 seasons. The issue here, is putting the right players around him, which the front office has failed miserably in doing.

You start with Cade/Tek. Everyone else is available for trade.

In free agency, the very first player that should be signed, is Claxton. He is tied for fourth in the league at BPG(2.1). Rim protection wrapped up. Next, the main goal is a shooter/slasher at the 2, that will play well off of Cade. Everything begins, and ends with Cade, zero exceptions. Unfortunately Grayson Allen just reupped with PHX, so looking elsewhere for that starting SG.

Top of my list is Monk. Now other signings to round out the roster, are Aaron Wiggins, and Jalen Smith.

Cade
Monk/Wiggins
Tek

Claxton/Smith

Now the bis fish is at the PF spot. I would be half-tempted to draft Sarr if the Pistons land the #1pick(fat chance)as his game reminds me a TON of JJJ, and if thats the case, well damn. Barring the impossible, you trade that pick, and whatever else it takes to land a PF you know will fit with Cade. I prefer Markkanen, or Naz Reid.

Cade/
Monk/Wiggins
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

That team, is going to win games, period. Insane spacing and shooting, with a defensive anchor. Now I prefer Naz Reid, as he will be substantially cheaper in a trade package to get from Minnesota, when, and they will, flame out of the playoffs. I like Reid because he is also a shot-blocker.

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

This lineup again wins you a bunch of games, and because it didn't take the house to get him, as it would Markkanen, you will have some players left over to fill out the roster.

This isn't a difficult proposition here. The problem is the front office are a bunch of boobs, who can't figure out how to do anything right.

Also, I want to emphasize;

Only players that are LOCKED are Cade/Tek.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I don't think you can jump from failed rebuild to win now. I'd like to trade for better fitting young players. A Washington fan proposed Kispert for Ivey. Do that type of thing to whatever extent possible and see how we develop next season, including whoever we get in the draft. There just aren't any shortcuts with a franchise that won't attract top free agents.
I disagree, strongly. I believe that Cade is that guy, as he has demonstrated it multiple, multiple times over the

We just seen the Rockets go from 22wins to 41wins by adding FVV and D.Brooks. They did that with Sengun their best player out a quarter of the season. We may not be able to reach 500 next season but we can surely get WAY better.

The Cavs won 19,19,22,44,51,48 from 2018-current season. Other teams have made huge jumps as well. Its not some impossible feat.

I'd like to keep Ausar. If he gets his shooting down hes going to be a star. I'd be open to moving him for the right deal ofc.

Duren I'm indifferent. He has alot of synergy with Cade it shows on offense. The problem is his defense stinks. Hes really young though. Of course his youth might juice his trade value.

For me ideally we can move this years pick+Ivey+maybe Duren for a all star level player. We were offered D.Murray for Ausar+Ivey+BB this season so we know a top pick+Ivey+Duren or Ausar which is a better package then that would have similar or better value on the open market.

So add one impact player with a trade then hit FA for another impact player. Then we have improved Cade and a full season of Tecch+two impact vets. Our roster was full of Gleague scrubs this year. It really isnt going to take much effort to be alot better next season.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,348

Post#50 » by flow » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:43 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
I disagree, strongly. I believe that Cade is that guy, as he has demonstrated it multiple, multiple times over the course of 2 seasons. The issue here, is putting the right players around him, which the front office has failed miserably in doing.

In free agency, the very first player that should be signed, is Claxton. He is tied for fourth in the league at BPG(2.1). Rim protection wrapped up. Next, the main goal is a shooter/slasher at the 2, that will play well off of Cade. Everything begins, and ends with Cade, zero exceptions. Unfortunately Grayson Allen just reupped with PHX, so looking elsewhere for that starting SG.

Top of my list is Monk. Now other signings to round out the roster, are Aaron Wiggins, and Jalen Smith.

Cade
Monk/Wiggins
Tek

Claxton/Smith

Now the bis fish is at the PF spot. I would be half-tempted to draft Sarr if the Pistons land the #1pick(fat chance)as his game reminds me a TON of JJJ, and if thats the case, well damn. Barring the impossible, you trade that pick, and whatever else it takes to land a PF you know will fit with Cade. I prefer Markkanen, or Naz Reid.

Cade/
Monk/Wiggins
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

That team, is going to win games, period. Insane spacing and shooting, with a defensive anchor. Now I prefer Naz Reid, as he will be substantially cheaper in a trade package to get from Minnesota, when, and they will, flame out of the playoffs. I like Reid because he is also a shot-blocker.

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

This lineup again wins you a bunch of games, and because it didn't take the house to get him, as it would Markkanen, you will have some players left over to fill out the roster.

This isn't a difficult proposition here. The problem is the front office are a bunch of boobs, who can't figure out how to do anything right.

What part of post you quoted are you disagreeing with?

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,779

Post#51 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm

bstein14 wrote:With the current first round pairings, it'll be most interesting to see what happens...

Out of the WC play-in teams whichever two teams don't make the playoffs out of LAL, GSW, Kings, and Pelicans you'd have to think some major changes could be in store. Out of the EC play-in teams we pretty much know that the Bulls and Hawks aren't going to make the playoffs and I think its safe to say we already expect a major move or two from both those franchises this summer.

In the East if Cleveland, New York, or Milwaukee lose in the first round I think we could see some of those teams make a big move to try and change things, although the Bucks the move might be coaching related again.

In the West its the Clippers, Dallas and Suns but all those teams are so entrenched in win now that its hard to see any of them take a step back and trade a good player for younger guys. If anything its likely if the Clippers are a first round out that PG13 leaves town for a Max from Philly, which then changes things up a bit.

I was thinking of making a whole thread on this. There is guaranteed to be some disappointed teams that will need big changes. These will be great opportunities for trades this summer.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:12 pm

theBigLip wrote:
bstein14 wrote:With the current first round pairings, it'll be most interesting to see what happens...

Out of the WC play-in teams whichever two teams don't make the playoffs out of LAL, GSW, Kings, and Pelicans you'd have to think some major changes could be in store. Out of the EC play-in teams we pretty much know that the Bulls and Hawks aren't going to make the playoffs and I think its safe to say we already expect a major move or two from both those franchises this summer.

In the East if Cleveland, New York, or Milwaukee lose in the first round I think we could see some of those teams make a big move to try and change things, although the Bucks the move might be coaching related again.

In the West its the Clippers, Dallas and Suns but all those teams are so entrenched in win now that its hard to see any of them take a step back and trade a good player for younger guys. If anything its likely if the Clippers are a first round out that PG13 leaves town for a Max from Philly, which then changes things up a bit.

I was thinking of making a whole thread on this. There is guaranteed to be some disappointed teams that will need big changes. These will be great opportunities for trades this summer.

If you want some discussion on it for sure make a different thread. This one is pretty active being its the biggest news of the season.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 481

Post#53 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:30 pm

Grayson Allen signs an extension... 4/70
The lottery is in 3-4 weeks... I'll be pretty upset if we keep the pick... Look back at past drafts.. Majority of the lottery picks seem to be busts. Fans have waited long enough.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#54 » by Drwho17 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:47 pm

I think part of Dumars issues toward the end was related to Mr D.s death and the franchise being in limbo from the ownership perspective.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,176

Post#55 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I disagree, strongly. I believe that Cade is that guy, as he has demonstrated it multiple, multiple times over the course of 2 seasons. The issue here, is putting the right players around him, which the front office has failed miserably in doing.

Cade
Monk/Wiggins
Tek

Claxton/Smith

Cade/
Monk/Wiggins
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

I'm not disagreeing that Cade should be a part of the core but he has not proven he can be THE guy. First of all, he's injured or playing injured more than he's healthy and even when healthy (and it's mostly not his fault), he's been the leader of some of the worst teams in NBA history. I don't think we can count on Cade being THE franchise guy until he proves it which he hasn't thus far but, yes, he's a keeper.

With that said, I'd add Ausar to the core group. I know that the shooting is really really bad but I don't think it's a shooting form that looks broken and his Basketball IQ is off the charts really. I think patience is really key with him because you're talking an All Star player if he merely gets his 3 point shooting up to acceptable levels, even close to average like in the 32-34% range would suffice considering how good he is at other aspects.

Ivey and Duren are trade bait if I was in charge. I fear that Ivey's value has disintegrated so not sure how much they could get for him realistically but I bet Duren has some real value because of his age and special athletic gifts (I think Ivey's are more generic in comparison). Gauge the market for those two and build around Cade and Ausar long term with guys like Fontecchio and Sasser+Stewart off the bench being keepers for the next few years. There's nobody else I'm interested in seeing back. Fill out the rest of the roster with the draft pick or draft pick trade return, Duren/Ivey trade return and a few key vets who play the right way.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,825

Post#56 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 pm

flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Cade
Monk/Wiggins
Tek

Claxton/Smith

Cade/
Monk/Wiggins
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

Jumping from a failed rebuild, to win now, as I don't think it's a failed rebuild, only those in charge who have been failing. Now of course this goes with my belief that Cade is that guy, and the overwhelming reason we haven't seen wins, is the horrendous players being out around him.(growth from Cade being the other)

I firmly believe that if you create the team I've outlined, which is absolutely possible, you will hit the ground running next year, and will see a team approach, or surpass 40 wins next year.

That is my main thesis here. Now other fans may/may not agree. Great. Insert who you think will be better, no problem.

What I won't abide from this clueless front office, is standing pat, and picking another damn rookie. That would be insane, UNLESS that pick is #1, and your scouts are screaming he is JJJ part 2.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 228

Post#57 » by Sheeeeed » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:12 pm

Drwho17 wrote:

I think part of Dumars issues toward the end was related to Mr D.s death and the franchise being in limbo from the ownership perspective.

Ownership limbo didn't make Dumars sign bad contracts. Sure there was little movement during the limbo, but the fact there was bad contracts is the issue. Dumars just flat out refused to rebuild before, during, and after the ownership issues. Making the wrong draft picks didn't help either.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#58 » by SuperBad » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:22 pm

Dumars went bad when Tom Hammond left as the assistant, he went to Milwaukee and drafted Giannis, and is now currently part of the Orlando Magic organization. He left before the Ben Gordon Rip contracts.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,348

Post#59 » by flow » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I disagree, strongly. I believe that Cade is that guy, as he has demonstrated it multiple, multiple times over the course of 2 seasons. The issue here, is putting the right players around him, which the front office has failed miserably in doing.

Cade
Monk/Wiggins
Tek

Claxton/Smith

Cade/
Monk/Wiggins
Tek
Markkanen
Claxton

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

Jumping from a failed rebuild, to win now, as I don't think it's a failed rebuild, only those in charge who have been failing. Now of course this goes with my belief that Cade is that guy, and the overwhelming reason we haven't seen wins, is the horrendous players being out around him.(growth from Cade being the other)

I firmly believe that if you create the team I've outlined, which is absolutely possible, you will hit the ground running next year, and will see a team approach, or surpass 40 wins next year.

That is my main thesis here. Now other fans may/may not agree. Great. Insert who you think will be better, no problem.

What I won't abide from this clueless front office, is standing pat, and picking another damn rookie. That would be insane, UNLESS that pick is #1, and your scouts are screaming he is JJJ part 2.

Hold on, I'll grant you that Cade is good. He was the consensus #1 player in the draft, and has shown the potential to live up to it. But drafting Cade has in no way saved the rebuild from being a failure. It has been an absolute failure. In year 4 of the rebuild, the team won 14 games (while playing worse than a 14-win team), for the worst season in the history of the franchise. That is the very definition of a failed rebuild. And yes, when rebuilds fail, it is the fault of those in charge, because they're the ones doing the rebuilding!
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 186

Post#60 » by JNewton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:30 pm

SuperBad wrote:Dumars went bad when Tom Hammond left as the assistant, he went to Milwaukee and drafted Giannis, and is now currently part of the Orlando Magic organization. He left before the Ben Gordon Rip contracts.

John Hammond - but you're correct: Dumars was never the same after Hammond left, which makes one wonder just how big his role was with the Pistons. Interestingly, James Edwards at The Athletic just posted an article mentioning Hammond as a candidate for President of Basketball Operations with the Pistons. I have to admit, that would be a home run hire.

Return to Detroit Pistons