Free Agency

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,257

Re: Free Agency 

Post#21 » by vege » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
When you’re as bad as we are, there’s no need to tie anyone up for four years. If we go giving Harris at age 33 a four year, $140 million deal, we’ll hate it as much as we hated Blake’s contract.

That's likely what's going to happen. Or even worse, Miles Bridges.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#22 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm

vege wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
When you’re as bad as we are, there’s no need to tie anyone up for four years. If we go giving Harris at age 33 a four year, $140 million deal, we’ll hate it as much as we hated Blake’s contract.

That's likely what's going to happen. Or even worse, Miles Bridges.

No argument here. Asset management in Detroit has been awful these past four years. 13 game winner that owes a first round pick, tied up for four more years. Who does that?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#23 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:16 pm

vege wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
If he shot 40% from three I would likely consider 4 years $100 million (with the 4th year being a team option) but he's been less efficient than that an I think 4 years $80 million (with the 4th year being a team option) is more in the correct ballpark for him.

So then, for him to consider our lowly franchise it sounds like we would have to offer the former(4-$100). And likely closer to $30million per year(4-$120) :lol:
I like Monk but hopefully we can poach some already long term signed players from teams like Atlanta and others that will be running into cap/luxury tax problems.
Those types of players will likely be cheaper for us and lets our money go further.
It would be glorious if we could acquire 3 certified rotational players/vets with our cap space. 3 guys that could basically start or play big roles off bench. Three $20million type guys basically.
I like Duren Stew as our centers.
I like Fontecchio and Ausar as our forwards. We need 2 other forwards to make us 2 deep upfront.
I like Cade and Ivey and potentially Grimes and to a lesser extent Sasser. So adding a 3rd guard for me is key and then let Sasser Grimes battle to be the 10th man.
C-Duren Stew Wiseman Vet minimum mentor(to placate Weavers obsession with bigs)
PF+SF 2new additions Ausar Fontecchio
Our top5 pick(hopefully our last swing at the draft)
PG+SG-Cade Ivey new addition Sasser Grimes vet minimum mentor

I disagree with you about the center rotation and Ivey. I want all 3 gone and Sasser is a 3rd stringer at best (kinda in line with what you said about Sasser).

Isaiah Hartenstein - my #1 target

Nicolas Claxton - probably too expensive but he is better than Duren and is a lesser option if Hartenstein is not viable

Goga Bitadze - Cheap alternative but a very good one

De'Anthony Melton - Underrated and very good SG. Play both sides of the ball.

Malik Monk - Alternative to Melton. More shooting/creation, no defense

Isaac Okoro - Good starter, probably getable because of Cleveland financial situation
Tobias Harris - Meh but fill our needs

Obi Toppin/Derrick Jones Jr - Bench depth
Robert Covington/Nicolas Batum - Are probably going to a contender but they would do wonders for our defense
Royce O'Neale - too old and too undersized but he is good

Monte Morris/Delon Wright - Backup veteran PG (Morris is not coming back)
Gary Harris - We alread have Quentin Grimes but I like him, he doesn't make sense tho because of Grimes.

Hartenstein has an "influencer" "instagram model" bougie wife that's only going to want to be in LA, NY, or Miami there's almost no chance he'll be playing in the Midwest somewhere.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#24 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 am

Jontay Porter is a UFA right now! Make it happen, Troy -- exactly the reclamation project a betting man like you specializes in! I'm pretty sure $20 million/year will do it! Don't wait... I bet teams are lining up! Hi-yo Silver... away!
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,768

Post#25 » by theBigLip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
vege wrote:Isaiah Hartenstein - my #1 target

Nicolas Claxton - probably too expensive but he is better than Duren and is a lesser option if Hartenstein is not viable

Isaac Okoro - Good starter, probably getable because of Cleveland financial situation

Robert Covington/Nicolas Batum - Are probably going to a contender but they would do wonders for our defense

Gary Harris - We alread have Quentin Grimes but I like him, he doesn't make sense tho because of Grimes.

All those names are fine, but here’s what we should do.

Wait a week.

Let all the ridiculous overpaid three and four year deals soak up all the money and see who’s left.

Then, offer slight overpays for two years with a buyout in year two.

Example: let’s say Melton isn’t taken after a week. Offer two years, $30 million with a $3 million buyout for year two.

So…..

If he plays well, we keep him, or trade to a contender for assets.

If he plays poorly, his contract is still very tradeable to someone who needs to cut salary the following year. Again, we get assets. Oh, and Melton gets $18 million for one year of basketball.

Let the better teams give out the stupid contracts and wait our turn.

Definitely agree. It’s like musical chairs. There is only so much money to go around. Once the other teams spend their cap space, anyone worth an MLE or better will come at a discount.

While we’re waiting that week, we could make a max offer to OG. If he takes it, that’s awesome. If not, it forces the Knicks to do it and use up their remaining cap space for years.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,798

Post#26 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

I think OG will most likely re-sign in NY on day one of free agency.

Not opposed to giving it a shot but I think it’s a foregone conclusion.

I think Jalen Smith and OB Toppin are both likely targets. I could see us going for Monk too, though he’s a bit inconsistent.

Of course all bets are off if we trade any of the kids.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,690

Post#27 » by Cowology » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 pm

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
vege wrote:Isaiah Hartenstein - my #1 target

Wait a week.

Let all the ridiculous overpaid three and four year deals soak up all the money and see who’s left.

Example: let’s say Melton isn’t taken after a week. Offer two years, $30 million with a $3 million buyout for year two.

So…..

If he plays poorly, his contract is still very tradeable to someone who needs to cut salary the following year. Again, we get assets. Oh, and Melton gets $18 million for one year of basketball.

Definitely agree. It’s like musical chairs. There is only so much money to go around. Once the other teams spend their cap space, anyone worth an MLE or better will come at a discount.

While we’re waiting that week, we could make a max offer to OG. If he takes it, that’s awesome. If not, it forces the Knicks to do it and use up their remaining cap space for years.
Interesting. On the surface I'd want to consider how likely the Knicks are to Max him, with or without our involvement. If it seems likely they are giving him the bag, then all we're doing is holding up our own assets.

But IF we are deliberately waiting anyway, then it's relatively low risk. It'd be an overpay, but that's kinda where we are at. *shrug*

I guess I'm OK with this strategy.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#28 » by theBigLip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

Cowology wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

Wait a week.

So…..

Interesting. On the surface I'd want to consider how likely the Knicks are to Max him, with or without our involvement. If it seems likely they are giving him the bag, then all we're doing is holding up our own assets.

But IF we are deliberating waiting anyway, then it's relatively low risk. It'd be an overpay, but that's kinda where we are at. *shrug*

I guess I'm OK with this strategy.

Cade and OG maxed. Not bad for two core pieces. Of course, we need a crystal ball to know if they continue to grow to be AllStars and stay healthy.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#29 » by Crymson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 am

theBigLip wrote:Definitely agree. It’s like musical chairs. There is only so much money to go around. Once the other teams spend their cap space, anyone worth an MLE or better will come at a discount.

To be blunt, it simply does not work that way. Once other teams spend their cap space, the best talent will be gone. Good talent rarely stays on the board past the first two days of the moratorium. And there isn't much of it in this class in the first place.

OG's agent is the son of the Knicks' President. His future in New York was undoubtedly spoken of before the trade was made. The cost of the trade was high. The Knicks can offer him a longer term and higher annual raises. He's staying in New York.

Forcing the Knicks to use all of their cap space would be an absolutely meaningless consolation prize for the Pistons regardless of the situation.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#30 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 am

Crymson wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Definitely agree. It’s like musical chairs. There is only so much money to go around. Once the other teams spend their cap space, anyone worth an MLE or better will come at a discount.

To be blunt, it simply does not work that way. Once other teams spend their cap space, the best talent will be gone. Good talent rarely stays on the board past the first two days of the moratorium. And there isn't much of it in this class in the first place.

Did you even read? I clearly said anyone worth an MLE. I wasn't talking about a discount for the best talent. If you're going to criticize every post at least be accurate.

Crymson wrote:

OG's agent is the son of the Knicks' President. His future in New York was undoubtedly spoken of before the trade was made. The cost of the trade was high. The Knicks can offer him a longer term and higher annual raises. He's staying in New York.

Forcing the Knicks to use all of their cap space would be an absolutely meaningless consolation prize for the Pistons regardless of the situation.

Yes, I am aware. And yes, it's a long shot. But families fight, **** happens, and then there is an opening. And this league is competitive. Any time you can get an advantage over another team, however slight, you do it. It's not meaningless, it's just smart.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#31 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:All those names are fine, but here’s what we should do.

Wait a week.

So…..

More possibilities in the two year, buyout contract options….

Oubre
Hield
Olynyk
Beasley
Hayward
Batum

They can shoot, they can play, they would help.

Looking at teams that may want to cut payroll, I wonder if Duncan Robinson and Kris Middleton could be had too. Both only have two years on their deals, which makes their contracts fairly tradeable…..
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#32 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:All those names are fine, but here’s what we should do.

Wait a week.

So…..

More possibilities in the two year, buyout contract options….

Oubre
Hield
Olynyk
Beasley
Hayward
Batum

They can shoot, they can play, they would help.

Looking at teams that may want to cut payroll, I wonder if Duncan Robinson and Kris Middleton could be had too. Both only have two years on their deals, which makes their contracts fairly tradeable…..

Oubre, Hield and Robinson I like a lot. Those 3 wouldn’t cost much and help our team a lot. Hoping we get at least one “star” kind of player, but these guys can certainly play.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#33 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 pm

I was a little surprised Oubre had to wait a while just to sign for the minimum.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#34 » by SuperBad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 pm

He’s the type of player that we will need since we’re 3 good vets away, but he would probably play for Philly at 5m but we’d have to pay him 15, unfortunately, the ability to bring to Detroit in FA get harder when your not winning, we will probably have to bit the bullet on that. But getting a couple vets with some higher end potential in there primes will be easier to move the next three years combined with our young assets to get a next level option, so I’d continue to stockpile young assets behind 2-3 FA, for another season and a half, see where it goes, and make plans for the bigger star then, unless something comes along first.
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Post#35 » by aad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

We can make the playin with a few vets added we will be better then
Wizards
Hawks
Hornets
Raptors
Probably bulls too
Nets
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#36 » by GreekAlex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 pm

SuperBad wrote:He’s the type of player that we will need since we’re 3 good vets away, but he would probably play for Philly at 5m but we’d have to pay him 15, unfortunately, the ability to bring to Detroit in FA get harder when your not winning, we will probably have to bit the bullet on that. But getting a couple vets with some higher end potential in there primes will be easier to move the next three years combined with our young assets to get a next level option, so I’d continue to stockpile young assets behind 2-3 FA, for another season and a half, see where it goes, and make plans for the bigger star then, unless something comes along first.

Oubre scares me. There’s no risk on a small contract like he signed with Philly but I probably wouldn’t want him at the price it would cost the Pistons.

He gives me immature vibes and that can work on a veteran team but I’d rather not gamble on a team as young as ours.

That’s a reason to avoid Miles Bridges at this point as well.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,681

Post#37 » by Invictus88 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm

I would love it if we were somehow able to get Anunoby. We'd have to pay through the teeth to make the Knicks balk but it would likely be worth it. Just would have to hope his elbow is okay...
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#38 » by Canadafan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 pm

I feel like we're gonna sign Derozan with our Casey connection
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#39 » by LaSheed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Canadafan wrote:I feel like we're gonna sign Derozan with our Casey connection

Sign me up at this point. He ain't coming here but it's better than us outbidding ourselves for Tobias Harris. No not hating on Tobias.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#40 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm

Derozan will be 35 years old going into next season.

If you can get him on a bloated 1 year contract, it wouldn't be the worst move. But anything beyond 1 year contract, mark me down for a hard pass.

Return to Detroit Pistons