Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,697

Re: Free Agency 

Post#81 » by Cowology » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:27 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Canadafan wrote:https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5_QkdArOhw/?igsh=MW1ycmNremdibmJteQ==

Don't trade Ausar!
I love Ausars game, but if he becomes a viable three-point shooter(32%)it would be such a huge jump from his rookie season, it may be the biggest leap ever.

.18 to .32? I mean anything is possible, but damn. He would also command a full max contract, as he would be the ultimate 3-D player.

I just don't see him ever becoming passable as a shooter, but I would love to be wrong.
Ausar developing a consistent 3pt shot seems like a long shot. At best it's a long-term goal and not something we should anticipate (or even hope for) anytime soon. That's just not realistic.

But the potential payoff is so great that I think he get's a minimum of 3 years and probably the full rookie contract. No way you treat him worse than Killian. Right?? The potential payoff here is an All NBA caliber 2-way monster who pairs well with Cade. Again, yes it's a long shot. But as I've said before, at this stage we sort of need for some of these "long shots" to payoff. Ausar is as good a gamble as any to take right now. :pray:
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#82 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Snakebites wrote:My prediction is still that OG will be resigned almost immediately. The Knicks likely don’t make that trade without assurances.

The FO should kick the tires. We certainly would benefit from him.

That said, as fans it’s probably best not to look at that as a reasonable possibility.

We've discussed the OG situation quite a bit this season. OG had a meeting with the Knicks pre trade I believe it was in the offseason. He has connections there wants to play there and its been said he would take a discount to play in the NY market. Hence why the Knicks were good trading alot for him with free agency coming.

You can find the info on the internet I've posted the articles in another thread. Obv we can try to get him but its really never going to happen. We cant compete with NY market good team and a guy who has a under the table deal its not happening.

I know you know this snake moreso just posting it for the crowd.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 308

Post#83 » by King Bugs » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:41 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=c8zsOcyMhFZubhptRx-5cA&s=19

Please say no to Tobias lol

I'll never understand Weaver's fascination with this dude. I watched that entire game and he was practically invisible out there. Nothing I saw from Tobias made me go... "You know what? We need this guy in on our starting lineup next season."
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 480

Post#84 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:14 pm

He seemed invisible when he was here. He'd score 12 points in the first score, then score 3 more, and many would didn't watch, but would read the stats and think, "15ppg.. Good player"

He was good at cutting to the basket, but I don't see him doing it anymore, but I also don't watch non-Pistons games, except the last few minutes (I'll watch a little more if its competitive in the playoffs)
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#85 » by Crymson » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:45 pm

theBigLip wrote:Did you even read? I clearly said anyone worth an MLE. I wasn't talking about a discount for the best talent.

I see I misunderstood. That said, anyone worth the MLE will either sign for the MLE or be snapped up by another team with cap space. Waiting for discounts in today's weak free agency is likeliest to be rewarded with missed opportunities and the pick of a bad set of leftovers.

Yes, I am aware. And yes, it's a long shot. But families fight, **** happens, and then there is an opening. And this league is competitive.

Just so I'm clear, your idea is to reserve more than half of the team's maximum available cap space against the very slight chance that Anunoby might become available? That strikes me as a poor risk-reward proposition.

Any time you can get an advantage over another team, however slight, you do it. It's not meaningless, it's just smart.

I think the cost of giving up the potential acquisition of useful roster players with cap space for the sake of causing another team to use theirs would make such a plan far from worthwhile for any team, let alone a team in such straits as these Pistons find themselves.

If you're going to criticize every post at least be accurate.

Was I under some misapprehension that this was a discussion board?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,777

Post#86 » by theBigLip » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:56 pm

Crymson wrote:Pardon me; I was under the apparent misapprehension that this was a discussion board. Apparently disagreeing is tantamount to criticizing. Strange thing for a moderator to say.

I totally want discussion and differing opinions. There is no learning from an echo chamber. As one of the moderators, I try to make this a good place to discuss Pistons hoops. Describing fellow posters as “uniformed” could be considered as a personal attack, which isn’t allowed, which I hadn’t called you on. I think that shows some tolerance.

In general, in my opinion, it benefits the board for posts to be more forward thinking, sharing what your plan is, and not just trashing everyone else’s ideas. As a mod, I’m trying to keep us on that path. If everyone wants this to be a negative and attacking board and doesn’t want me as a mod, I’m happy to step aside. But until then, I’m going to continue trying to make this the best place for everyone.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#87 » by Pandev » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:31 am

Cowology wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Canadafan wrote:https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5_QkdArOhw/?igsh=MW1ycmNremdibmJteQ==

Don't trade Ausar!
I love Ausars game, but if he becomes a viable three-point shooter(32%)it would be such a huge jump from his rookie season, it may be the biggest leap ever.

.18 to .32? I mean anything is possible, but damn. He would also command a full max contract, as he would be the ultimate 3-D player.

I just don't see him ever becoming passable as a shooter, but I would love to be wrong.
Ausar developing a consistent 3pt shot seems like a long shot. At best it's a long-term goal and not something we should anticipate (or even hope for) anytime soon. That's just not realistic.

But the potential payoff is so great that I think he get's a minimum of 3 years and probably the full rookie contract. No way you treat him worse than Killian. Right?? The potential payoff here is an All NBA caliber 2-way monster who pairs well with Cade. Again, yes it's a long shot. But as I've said before, at this stage we sort of need for some of these "long shots" to payoff. Ausar is as good a gamble as any to take right now. :pray:

All of our young guys are long shots apart from Cade if I am being honest about things. All they have shown is 'potential' not consistent NBA production. Just like SVG and most other NBA commentators who aren't Piston fans wearing rose-coloured glasses have pointed out to us.

Question is - are you happy to sit through 14-20 win seasons over another 2 years to find out if they can fulfil that potential and turn into star players? The downside of that strategy is you wait 2 years and realise they are who they are... and as their glimmering potential decreases so does most of their trade value - like Killian. And you continue to tank again and again until you hopefully hit lottery paydirt aka The Process :banghead:

Or do you package them up for a trade NOW while they have high 'upside' for a player who is already a proven star. :D

Thats the million-dollar question for a GM.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#88 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 am

Great million dollar question. I think the hard part for all of us is what do we have to give up and what do we get? We’re not privy to the actual offers (wouldn’t that be fun?)
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#89 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:03 am

I’m fine w Cade and Duren starting, but can we upgrade every other position? Without any trades, just using our cap, could we pull off Monk, DeRosen and Miles Brides, as well as sign Fontecchio? Keeps our pick too.

Cade/Ivey/Sassar
Monk/Grimes
DeRosen/Fontecchio/Risacher
Bridges/Thompson
Duren/Stewart/(Wiseman or inexpensive vet)

Hield, Oubre and Toppin would be the cheap version.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,264

Post#90 » by GreekAlex » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:18 am

theBigLip wrote:I’m fine w Cade and Duren starting, but can we upgrade every other position? Without any trades, just using our cap, could we pull off Monk, DeRosen and Miles Brides, as well as sign Fontecchio? Keeps our pick too.

Cade/Ivey/Sassar
Monk/Grimes
Bridges/Thompson

I think it would be a challenge to sign all 3 from a budget standpoint not even considering them all needing to buy into a rebuilding team.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#91 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:03 am

Tobi without Bobi is a non-starter.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#92 » by Canadafan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:20 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I’m fine w Cade and Duren starting, but can we upgrade every other position? Without any trades, just using our cap, could we pull off Monk, DeRosen and Miles Brides, as well as sign Fontecchio? Keeps our pick too.

Cade/Ivey/Sassar
Monk/Grimes
Bridges/Thompson

I think it would be a challenge to sign all 3 from a budget standpoint not even considering them all needing to buy into a rebuilding team.

Monk Oubre Toppin
Keep our young guys
Keep our draft pick
2deep everywhere
Sign me up
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#93 » by SuperBad » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 pm

I think we can get Tobias Harris 2/54, Monk 4 110m,
Fentechio 3/36, Kyle Anderson 2/18, add a draft pick Or best case scenario some type of
1# overall and grimes for both portlands pick one being top 5, and we take on Brogdon contract, then add Harris, Anderson, and Fontechio, we draft Buzelis, and Knecht
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#94 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm

I have beaten this drum into the damn earth, and I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, but if there was one player I would cough up just about anything for, it's Naz Reid.

He would fit so damn perfect here, it's disgusting. One guy, would completely change the teams outlook.

Fill in the rest with free agents.

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

This is assuming of course the Timberwolves want Duren/Ivey/Ausar/Sasser/pick some combination of these assets.

I know it's not happening, which bums me out, but what the hell.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 565

Post#95 » by LaSheed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:19 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I have beaten this drum into the damn earth, and I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, but if there was one player I would cough up just about anything for, it's Naz Reid.

He would fit so damn perfect here, it's disgusting. One guy, would completely change the teams outlook.

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

This is assuming of course the Timberwolves want Duren/Ivey/Ausar/Sasser/pick some combination of these assets.

100% with you. Dude is a baller.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#96 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:21 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Crymson wrote:Pardon me; I was under the apparent misapprehension that this was a discussion board. Apparently disagreeing is tantamount to criticizing. Strange thing for a moderator to say.

In general, in my opinion, it benefits the board for posts to be more forward thinking, sharing what your plan is, and not just trashing everyone else’s ideas. As a mod, I’m trying to keep us on that path. If everyone wants this to be a negative and attacking board and doesn’t want me as a mod, I’m happy to step aside. But until then, I’m going to continue trying to make this the best place for everyone.

I think you and Snake both mod completely fair here. Rarely see you guys say anything to anyone. You're not a nazi mods in any way shape or form. We got the best team board on realGM and having good mods is part of the reason.

Also enjoy your posts for the most part even the ones I dont agree with. You're more of a positive cup half full fan but nothing wrong with that. Its easy to be negative when we suck and I say that as a more negative-neutral fan. Having diff takes is good as it allows for discussion.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#97 » by Canadafan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:11 pm

LaSheed wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I have beaten this drum into the damn earth, and I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, but if there was one player I would cough up just about anything for, it's Naz Reid.

Cade
Monk
Tek
Naz
Claxton

100% with you. Dude is a baller.

Is he worth that much though?
Zeeb, I know you're not a fan of Duren and especially duren and ausar starting together but can we get Reid for Ivey/Sasser/2024 lottery pick/future(2029)protected pick?

Edit- they would have no use for Ivey imo. Probably not happenin
He's 5th year guy. Gives me hope that our 20yr olds Duren and Ausar can improve. I'm holding onto them tightly :wink:
Ivey not so much :D
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#98 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:14 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I think you and Snake both mod completely fair here. Rarely see you guys say anything to anyone. You're not a nazi mods in any way shape or form. We got the best team board on realGM and having good mods is part of the reason.

Also enjoy your posts for the most part even the ones I dont agree with. You're more of a positive cup half full fan but nothing wrong with that. Its easy to be negative when we suck and I say that as a more negative-neutral fan. Having diff takes is good as it allows for discussion.

Thx
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,173

Post#99 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Cade/Ivey/Sassar
Monk/Grimes
Bridges/Thompson

I'm not fine with Duren starting tbh especially with no legit stretch 4 to compliment him and I know that Stew improved his 3 point shooting but he's not a conventional stretch 4. Duren is still very young but he's very far from being a merely average NBA starter that I wonder if he ever gets there. I felt like Ausar had more impact as a potential winning player than Duren did and I see Ausar as a guy that will feverishly work to improve his game further whereas I wonder if Duren has the same drive.

My worry with Duren is Basketball IQ. It's something that is inborn, not learned, and I feel that Duren and Ivey are missing that while Cade and Ausar have it so that's the main reason why Cade and Ausar are the guys I'd build around and I'd be gauging the market for Ivey and Duren's trade value. I know a lot of folks love those guys because of their special athletic gifts but I think it's hard to go far in this league on athleticism alone and I feel neither of these guys offers much beyond just athleticism.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#100 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:13 pm

NYPiston wrote:

Cade/Ivey/Sassar
Monk/Grimes
Bridges/Thompson

I'm not fine with Duren starting tbh especially with no legit stretch 4 to compliment him and I know that Stew improved his 3 point shooting but he's not a conventional stretch 4. Duren is still very young but he's very far from being a merely average NBA starter that I wonder if he ever gets there. I felt like Ausar had more impact as a potential winning player than Duren did and I see Ausar as a guy that will feverishly work to improve his game further whereas I wonder if Duren has the same drive.

My worry with Duren is Basketball IQ. It's something that is inborn, not learned, and I feel that Duren and Ivey are missing that while Cade and Ausar have it so that's the main reason why Cade and Ausar are the guys I'd build around and I'd be gauging the market for Ivey and Duren's trade value. I know a lot of folks love those guys because of their special athletic gifts but I think it's hard to go far in this league on athleticism alone and I feel neither of these guys offers much beyond just athleticism.

Hartensten, Claxton and Olynyk are free agents. Definitely need to go budget route now to pick up others.

Hield, Oubre, Toppin and Hartenstein? Is that a good offseason? I’m sure we would be better. Keeping our pick and young players. Two year deals?

This gives us more assets at the trade deadline.

Return to Detroit Pistons