ImageImageImage

End of Season Quotes From The Players

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Re: End of Season Quotes From The Players 

Post#21 » by vege » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Monty started with Ivey off the bench, which was one of a few good moves, but the front office made him start, so it's hard to place blame with so many cooks in the kitchen. And there's probably a lot of other things we don't know.

I never saw Burks as a better defender than Sasser.

I compared Sasser to Burks to show how bad of a defender Sasser is. You said Sasser is a good defender and that's not true, he is very bad.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#22 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

vege wrote:
Sasser shot 37.5% from 3 on terrible defense. Alec Burks was a much better defender than Sasser FWIW and he is not labeled as a good defender. Hell, Fontecchio was a much better defender than Sasser and the Lakers game plan was to explore Fontecchio's poor defense. Sasser was solid at one point of the season (in a limited role), he fell of a cliff during the 2nd half, when given the opportunity to show what he can do, and he failed.

Stewart shot 38% from 3 and he shot less than 4 3's per game, which isn't enough to make defenders defend him. He was one of the worst offensive players in the league, and his defense has been regressing, he is still solid on defense, but unimpressive. He also got suspended by an unnacceptable behavior (imo) and and he was one of the locker room leaders of a team who quit on his coach and had the worst record in our franchise story. He's bad. I wish he wasn't but he is.

Sasser…. Probably worth another year, see if he improves this summer. On a cheap rookie deal.

Stewart…. If anyone offers an asset for him, trade him. This board is almost in total agreement that Stewart should be a backup center. How many backup centers in the league have $56 million extensions? He’s usually overmatched starting at power forward. And the leadership nonsense? Spare me. Pistons won 13 games.

Stewart’s extension was Troy Weaver putting lipstick on the pig known as the 2020 draft. Hayes was a bust, Bey got us Wiseman, another bust, and we still have another first rounder to cough up because of Stewart.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 477

Post#23 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 pm

vege wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Monty started with Ivey off the bench, which was one of a few good moves, but the front office made him start, so it's hard to place blame with so many cooks in the kitchen. And there's probably a lot of other things we don't know.

I compared Sasser to Burks to show how bad of a defender Sasser is. You said Sasser is a good defender and that's not true, he is very bad.

Well, I disagree. I watched every game and thinks Sasser is better on defense than Burks. But I'll add that I don't judge by stats.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#24 » by Billl » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:11 pm

While I sure hope wiseman is not back next season, he does deserve a tip of the hat for his improvement. He cut out all those questionable 3 attempts on offense and just embraced a paint role on both ends. He's still not a good player by any stretch, but he's gotten himself onto a path where he could eventually carve out a career beyond just being "potential". Be a lob threat on offense, set solid screens, and then play big on defense with rounding and rim protection. If you are 7 foot tall and athletic, you can turn that into a 10+ year career.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,815

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm

The only issue with benching Ivey was who was starting in his place.

I’m more or less completely out on Ivey. In theory he shook be a great 6th man. In practice the only time we see much from him is when Cade is out and Ivey is starting. I can count on one hand the number of times both Cade and Ivey had a good game this season, and I’d have more than one finger left over.

Duren is a guy we could keep for sure. If we get the top pick though I’d probably draft Sarr and look to trade him.

Cade and Tech are the only must-keeps for me. Ausar and Grimes should stay because there’s nowhere to go but up on their values.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Post#26 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm

It'd be one thing if Ivey looked consistently good on offense when Cade was out, but he didn't. He basically only looked any good this year when he was hitting his outside shots and those were streaky as anything. His decision-making and turnovers looked worse than last year, his at the rim finishing looked improved at first, but then regressed, and his shooting was up and down all season. His committment on defense improved over the season but the results didn't look much better.

Return to Detroit Pistons