ImageImageImage

End of Season Quotes From The Players

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

End of Season Quotes From The Players 

Post#1 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:53 pm

Asked Cade if he feels he is in a position to give input to the powers that be about what he thinks the team needs: “Yeah, for sure. I’m very comfortable and confident in how I see the games and players. I feel like I have a great sense for what guys are made of.”

Cade said his optimism is higher today than on draft day. “I didn’t know what I was getting into at that time.” Said he was somewhat nervous coming in. “I know the NBA now.”

Cade: “I’m excited about changing the narrative about not being able to win games.”

Cade on his extension: “I think that’s pretty obvious, I’ve definitely had that on my mind. At the same time I’ve been making sure I don’t get ahead of myself *knocks on wood* … just focusing on next season and how I can help improve the team, improve my game.”

Cade: “Just for this young core, the fact that we just had an experience like we had together, I think we’re hungrier and eager to change that narrative about each other.”

Cade: “What we went through this season is not for the weak, for sure … it’s a challenge for us and I think we’re all excited to take on this challenge and find our way out of this hole we dug. We’re going to do it together, not hide from it.”

Cade: “It’s hard to say, but a lot went wrong, you know? It was on us to adjust and find ways to start winning games. We just had a tough time throughout the year. A lot to learn from, a lot of experience.”

Cunningham on how this offseason will compare to last: “Now I can get straight into. I don’t have to ramp up from walk to jog to run like last year. To be able to start the offseason strong is big for me.”

Cade: “Obviously not the year that we hoped for coming in, but learned a to for sure. A lot of lessons came out of it. For me, I’m just thankful to have been able to make it through another season healthy, find myself more after missing my second year.”

Cade Cunningham: “My ballhandling, my conditioning for sure. Those are my two top priorities. My jumpshot, my midrange game, finishing at the rim are going to get worked on for sure. But my conditioning and my handling are the top two things I’m focusing on.”

Stewart: “We went on that losing streak, but we came in every day and fought … Every day we were still together and still fighting and climbing out of it. I learned how much this team competes and how hard we play and how hard we work.”

Stewart on what went wrong: “I’m not sure, to be honest. Sometimes you’re into everything and you don’t get a chance to step back and view it … Everything we went through this season, our lesson is that we have to learn in order to get over that hump and turn this thing around.”

Stewart respects that Monty has taken the blame a lot of nights for this season.
Stewart: “No other team went through what we’ve been through.” “It’s a feeling you don’t want to feel again. It gives you an extra edge to not want to feel that feeling, to fight to get away from that. I feel like it can benefit us from sure.”
Wiseman on how much working with assistant coach Mark Bryant helped this season: “Very instrumental – working on my low post, being more patient and just going out there and making sure I’m playing fundamentally solid.”
Wiseman on where he improved this season: “Screening got better, the defense improved and talking on defense. Doing the little things right that I wasn’t doing at first, especially at Golden State.”

“I feel like I made some great strides. My goal was to play all 82 games, and I fell short of that.”

Stewart on if he’s happy with the season he had: “Yeah and no. I feel like I made some great strides. My goal this year was to play all 82 games nad I fell short of that. Other than that, I learned some things this season and I showed growth in certain areas.”

Beef Stew on shooting 38 percent from 3: “I spent a lot of time working on that area of my game, and the percentage jump, it’s obviously a great feeling.”

Grimes said that even though he wasn’t able to play much in Detroit, he got a good feel for his teammates and got some needed rest for his sore knee as he goes into the summer

Grimes on his offseason: Said he needs to let the injury calm down. Said he should be able to ramp up.”

Duren on what he learned: “That there’s a lot of growth and lessons and adversity. Obviously as a team we went through adversity throughout the season. The guys who have been here from the start, we’ve gown and learned and grown closer through it.”

Duren: “The 28 games, man … in the beginning we started hot and then had an injury or two.” Said this was the year to build the chemistry with Cade coming back healthy. “We’re all young and trying to gain that knowledge and experience.”

Duren: “When I look at our locker room and coaching staff and the character and the guys who want to work and get better, I get excited. This hasn’t been the two years that anyone would’ve expected or wanted, but I think God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers.”

Duren on what he wants to improve next season: “I want to be a better player all-around, on both sides of the floor.”

Simone Fontecchio on Cade Cunnningham: “I’ve loved it from the first moment. My first game against the Clippers, he came up to me and was asking where I like the ball, where I want it. No one had ever come and asked me this stuff. I told him to do his thing and I’ll play off him.”

Simone Fontecchio says he expects to sign an extension this summer. “I’m looking forward to the future. I love my family, I love Detroit, I love the Pistons organization and we’re going to work this summer, everybody, towards me staying here longterm. That’s what I want, what we want.”

Marcus Sasser said Monte Morris, Taj Gibson and Cade Cunningham taught him tips and tricks this season as far as helping his game translate

Marcus Sasser on the adjustment to the losing: “It was definitely tough. I was used to winning a lot. It’s the NBA. You’re playing against the best players in the world. You have to learn to move on to the next game.”

Ausar Thompson on his blood clot diagnosis: “I was not feeling myself fully. The doctors brought me over, we found it out and now I’m on a mental and physical journey to get back. I’ve been taking it one day at a time, knowing this is a tough spot but nothing I can’t get through.”

Ivey putting the season into words: “I think growth, for me. That’s what’s in my mind right now, what I’m thinking. A lot of growth over the season regardless of the record, the wins and losses. I think as we continue to gel together, things are going to turn.”

Ivey: “This summer, I’m going to be better.”

Ivey: “I want to continue to grow the mental game. It’s more than just being able to score the ball. Got to think the game.” Said watching film will be something he does a lot of, too, as well as watching the playoffs and picturing himself in those scenarios.

Ivey on playing with Cade: “This was the first year we really got to play side by side with each other. There were times it was struggle and times we really strived together. We saw the positives this season.”

Ivey on coming off of the bench: “It definitely made me better. I saw a different side of it. It reminded me of my freshman year of college. I came in and was coming off the bench.”
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,767

Re: End of Season Quotes From The Players 

Post#2 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 pm

Good post, thx.

I like that they are saying the right thing. No finger pointing. No one has quit. They all know they got work to do. It was interesting Sassar and Wiseman talking about help from vets/coaches. It’s good they are open to learning.

Now can we get some quotes from Monty and Weaver?
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 pm

theBigLip wrote:Good post, thx.

I like that they are saying the right thing. No finger pointing. No one has quit. They all know they got work to do. It was interesting Sassar and Wiseman talking about help from vets/coaches. It’s good they are open to learning.

You're welcome, and it was the first thing I thought of.. Guys took responsibility, said the right things, and now they just have to follow through in the off-season, regardless of what happens.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#4 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:08 pm

Every off season I think about how awesome it must be to an NBA player. Yes you have to train, but how many millionaires can take a lot of time off for a long stretch. Must be nice. It probably feels like summer as a kid…but you’re very very wealthy.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,681

Post#5 » by Invictus88 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 pm

Maybe I'll feel differently after putting some months in-between me and the last game of this season but what can they say at this point that is in any way satisfying to fans after what went on this year?

Are you going to believe a word Monty says after the team's performance and repeated times of saying one thing after/before games and then doing the other in the next?

Are you going to believe any words Weaver says taking into account what he said last offseason and then having the season that followed?

I can only see fan frustration and ire in response. I'm not sure I'm really even looking forward to that...

The only couple of words that would inspire any hope from me as a fan right now are: "I quit".
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#6 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:17 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Every off season I think about how awesome it must be to an NBA player. Yes you have to train, but how many millionaires can take a lot of time off for a long stretch. Must be nice. It probably feels like summer as a kid…but you’re very very wealthy.

It sounds great, but I would hope they don’t take the whole summer off like we did w studying as kids :lol:

Each of them should have a short list of areas they need to improve on, and be working on them w their trainers, assistant coaches and getting some high level pickup games in. Rookies that want more playing time better be doing that, just as vets that want to extend their careers.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm

Invictus88 wrote:

Maybe I'll feel differently after putting some months in-between me and the last game of this season but what can they say at this point that is in any way satisfying to fans after what went on this year?

Are you going to believe a word Monty says after the team's performance and repeated times of saying one thing after/before games and then doing the other in the next?

Are you going to believe any words Weaver says taking into account what he said last offseason and then having the season that followed?

I can only see fan frustration and ire in response. I'm not sure I'm really even looking forward to that...

Good points. If they do make statements, I hope they take responsibility and that they plan to be working all summer to get the team ready. But you’re right - it might be ok if they don’t say much. All that matters is that they make the changes needed. Talk is cheap.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:44 pm

They should all be saying

"Sorry about that Detroit"
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,257

Post#9 » by vege » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 am

MotownMadness wrote:They should all be saying

"Sorry about that Detroit"

Yes I am 100% done with all of them.

I would be thrilled if we only have Cade/Fontecchio/Grimes/Ausar back next season.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#10 » by smann7 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:58 am

Nice to hear Tek likes it here and wants to be resigned.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#11 » by Kp junior » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 pm

Conditioning and ball handling - 100%. Good to know he knows these are his main issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#12 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

smann7 wrote:Nice to hear Tek likes it here and wants to be resigned.

If you've seen him and Cade interacting on the bench during games, they look tight. Tek and Duren seem to be Cade's best friends on the team from reading body language.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Post#13 » by NYPiston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm

vege wrote:

I would be thrilled if we only have Cade/Fontecchio/Grimes/Ausar back next season.

I agree with those 4 but I'd add Sasser and Stewart (only if he comes off the bench) to that group. Grimes I don't know about, he has to get healthy, guy is injured a lot even more than Cade it seems but I do like his game when he's on court especially if he can get that 3 back to where it's been most of his career.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#14 » by Billl » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm

I know these aren't complete quotes, so I hope everyone was saying some version of we need to get better defensively individually as well. Obviously with all the roster turnover, our team defense had no shot at being good, but there is no excuse for the total lack of 1-on-1 defensive commitment we saw this year. It's not like we played a lot of spot up shooters that didn't have the athleticism to match up with guys.
vege
RealGM

Post#15 » by vege » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

NYPiston wrote:
vege wrote:

I agree with those 4 but I'd add Sasser and Stewart (only if he comes off the bench) to that group. Grimes I don't know about, he has to get healthy, guy is injured a lot even more than Cade it seems but I do like his game when he's on court especially if he can get that 3 back to where it's been most of his career.

Sasser is garbage, he had a few good games but overall he was terrible, and he is who he is. Stewart is an overpaid 15 mpg backup with terrible attitude.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm

vege wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
vege wrote:

Sasser is garbage, he had a few good games but overall he was terrible, and he is who he is. Stewart is an overpaid 15 mpg backup with terrible attitude.

Sassar shot 37.5 from the 3 in his rookie year. I don’t think that’s garbage.

Stewart was in a lot of rumors at the trade deadline. Seems he isn’t that overpaid. I do agree that he is a backup on a good team.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Sasser shot almost 40%, good defender, not a point guard, but maybe Monty wanted to "expand" his game (like they did with Bey, unsuccessfully) which is why I hoped Cade would have played alongside Sasser, just to see.. Seems like a good teammate.

Stew shot almost 40%. I don't know what else he can do. He's not very tall, almost has a V-shaped body, strong chest, but not the strongest lower body. Throughout the year, I kept hearing his leadership. He's being paid a lot less than other guys who do nothing. It's not his fault 10-day players can start.

I'm not one who assumes guys will suddenly improve. I believe what you see is what you get, and as bench players, they could be a part of better days. I do think a guy like Ausar can only improve his 3pt shooting, and he does a lot of other things well, but think he should be a starter (unless the roster changes drastically) to guard the opposing players. Run out in the break, make good passes, play hard, dunk, free throw line fade-away jump shot.
vege
RealGM

Post#18 » by vege » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Sasser shot almost 40%, good defender, not a point guard, but maybe Monty wanted to "expand" his game (like they did with Bey, unsuccessfully) which is why I hoped Cade would have played alongside Sasser, just to see.. Seems like a good teammate.

Stew shot almost 40%. I don't know what else he can do. He's not very tall, almost has a V-shaped body, strong chest, but not the strongest lower body. Throughout the year, I kept hearing his leadership. He's being paid a lot less than other guys who do nothing. It's not his fault 10-day players can start.

I'm not one who assumes guys will suddenly improve. I believe what you see is what you get, and as bench players, they could be a part of better days. I do think a guy like Ausar can only improve his 3pt shooting, and he does a lot of other things well, but think he should be a starter (unless the roster changes drastically) to guard the opposing players. Run out in the break, make good passes, play hard, dunk, free throw line fade-away jump shot.

Sasser shot 37.5% from 3 on terrible defense. Alec Burks was a much better defender than Sasser FWIW and he is not labeled as a good defender. Hell, Fontecchio was a much better defender than Sasser and the Lakers game plan was to explore Fontecchio's poor defense. Sasser was solid at one point of the season (in a limited role), he fell of a cliff during the 2nd half, when given the opportunity to show what he can do, and he failed.

Stewart shot 38% from 3 and he shot less than 4 3's per game, which isn't enough to make defenders defend him. He was one of the worst offensive players in the league, and his defense has been regressing, he is still solid on defense, but unimpressive. He also got suspended by an unnacceptable behavior (imo) and and he was one of the locker room leaders of a team who quit on his coach and had the worst record in our franchise story. He's bad. I wish he wasn't but he is.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#19 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 pm

I like Stewart for what he is

Good bench piece that can start in a pinch. Problem is our terrible coach isn't on board.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 pm

Monty started with Ivey off the bench, which was one of a few good moves, but the front office made him start, so it's hard to place blame with so many cooks in the kitchen. And there's probably a lot of other things we don't know.

I never saw Burks as a better defender than Sasser.

Return to Detroit Pistons