ImageImageImage

New head of BBO.... who do you want?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

guldakot
Rookie
And1: 549

New head of BBO.... who do you want? 

Post#1 » by guldakot » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 pm

With Shams confirming they are officially looking for a new head of Basketball Ops, who do you want?

Do you think Gores has a chance of throwing a bag at Bob Myers to come back to the NBA?

Hopefully its someone that is willing and able to convince Gores to fire Weaver from a cannon and rebuild correctly.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Re: New head of BBO.... who do you want? 

Post#2 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm

guldakot wrote:With Shams confirming they are officially looking for a new head of Basketball Ops, who do you want?

Do you think Gores has a chance of throwing a bag at Bob Myers to come back to the NBA?

Hopefully its someone that is willing and able to convince Gores to fire Weaver from a cannon and rebuild correctly.
Yeah, Bob sounds great. ANYONE other then Weaver making the final say.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#3 » by Invictus88 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
guldakot wrote:With Shams confirming they are officially looking for a new head of Basketball Ops, who do you want?

Yeah, Bob sounds great. ANYONE other then Weaver making the final say.

The jaded person in me HAS to follow up with:

"Sure, because we've had SOOO much success throwing bags of money at folks that otherwise would rather spend time not doing the thing we are paying them for..."

Edit:

Am I mistaken that Bob Myers already has a job?
https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-hiring-ex-nba-executive-architect-of-warriors-dynasty-bob-myers-ex-vi

Edit Edit:
Maybe that's just an advisory role?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Myers
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#4 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 pm

Isn't Ed Stefanski still employed by the Pistons as a senior advisor? Wasn't he a president of bball operations at one point or another. Whoever it is, hopefully he makes Weaver interview for his own job, and if he doesn't have a great plan at this point, he's gone...
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,135

Post#5 » by NYPiston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 am

Dwayne Casey as JEIII speculated just to see the hilarity of the reactions to that hire. Only Gores appointing himself or Tellem would make me manically laugh more.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,326

Post#6 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 am

Jon Horst seems to have done a good job with Milwaukee up until the coaching fiasco this year, which seems like it was more driven by Giannis.

From what I can gather online a lot of Bucks fans seem to be upset with the idea of him leaving.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#7 » by BDM22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:29 am

Anyone that will fire Monty. If they aren't willing to do that, they aren't serious about fixing this. Period.

I'm really not a fan of the re-tread options. The guy from the Dame Blazers?! So he fails Dame and now he can come and fail Cade?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am

I’m not wild about this as a general strategy tbh.

I always got the impression there were too many cooks in the kitchen as it is. Adding yet another voice seems ill conceived.

We definitely need a new voice, but I’d much rather it replace voices we already have in place.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,094

Post#9 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

Extend cade and clean house
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 am

So the POBO you are wanting to bring in, won't be able to pick his own GM and won't be able to pick his own head coach. I'm sure candidates will be thrilled with that stipulation. Especially since the GM and HC they would inherit have sparkling track records.

So Detroit will have a POBO that won't have his own GM or HC. A GM that didn't pick his own coach. And plan on adding another voice into an already discombobulated hierarchy within the organization.

This plan is certainly a great recipe to achieve the "ultimate goal" of total synergy from top to bottom.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#11 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 am

Maybe Weaver will man up and resign knowing he's not needed here.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#12 » by BDM22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 am

MortSahlfan wrote:Maybe Weaver will man up and resign knowing he's not needed here.

No one is walking away from guaranteed money like that.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,135

Post#13 » by NYPiston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm

BDM22 wrote:Anyone that will fire Monty. If they aren't willing to do that, they aren't serious about fixing this. Period.

I'm really not a fan of the re-tread options. The guy from the Dame Blazers?! So he fails Dame and now he can come and fail Cade?

I agree, I'm one of Monty's biggest critics here, but I just don't see a scenario where Gores eats that much buyout money of Monty's guaranteed contract. He'll almost assuredly be here one more year.
Maybe the new guy fires Weaver but Gores REALLY likes Weaver so it wouldn't shock me if Gores kind of pushes Weaver onto the new guy and he gets one more kick at the can.

I don't know, maybe I'm just skeptical, but I have a feeling that this is all lip service from Gores about "sweeping changes" and that this new PoBO will be somewhat of a Gores puppet and they run it back with this group.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#14 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop that Weaver is fired in this. He sure needs to be. Very odd move otherwise.

Tim Connelly is my guy. Was part of making Denver great, then moved on to Minnesota where he's at currently and was part of making them a contender. Their franchise is a mess right now with the botched sale and terrible existing owner. I could see him walking away from it and being an option for us if we make a good enough pitch.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#15 » by Canadafan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm

Bill Laimbeer. Let's go! Lol. He would clear house no doubt and restore the Pistons to glory
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#16 » by LaSheed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm

Tim Connelly is the intriguing option to me. Like what he did in Denver and Minnesota looks to finally be turning the page. Has an opt out. With all the drama in Minnesota with ownership but still even that situation is better than ours. Let him come in and just effin clean house.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#17 » by DBC10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 pm

We need to clean house top to bottom. No more Tellem, Stefanski, Plat Equity guys, Weaver's side etc. Hell, get rid of Beilein too, since he doesn't seem to be doing much these days
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#18 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

Why would a prospective President of Basketball Operations candidate want to take the job if they don't have the autonomy to fill out the staff the way they see fit?

i.e. WTF with the Pistons publicly announcing that Weaver is staying? Isn't that just the organization shooting itself in the foot yet again?
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#19 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 pm

I want the old head of BBO. To put a presidential spin on it: "Off with his head, me boys."
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#20 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Give me Battier

Return to Detroit Pistons