ImageImageImage

New head of BBO.... who do you want?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,696

Re: New head of BBO.... who do you want? 

Post#41 » by Cowology » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:I was listening to the Ku Khahil locked on pistons podcast today and when talking about the search for a new BBO he mentioned that the decision to fire Weaver and Monty will be up to the new BBO which I thought was interesting since what I’ve read was that they are staying for now. That at least gives me hope both these guys could be gone
Same thing I've heard. Gores has to go after Myers or Horst. Absolutely has to. Bring that championship mentality back to Detroit damn it.
I don't care who says what, the idea Gores would eat the Monty contract sounds absurd & unrealistic to me. He's pot-committed.

Best case scenario new BBO puts Monty in better situation to be successful and Monty responds by not being trash.

All this still sounds/looks like PR nonsense. Weaver gonna continue to Weaver. Buckle up & hope for the best.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,808

Post#42 » by zeebneeb » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 pm

Cowology wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:I was listening to the Ku Khahil locked on pistons podcast today and when talking about the search for a new BBO he mentioned that the decision to fire Weaver and Monty will be up to the new BBO which I thought was interesting since what I’ve read was that they are staying for now. That at least gives me hope both these guys could be gone
Same thing I've heard. Gores has to go after Myers or Horst. Absolutely has to. Bring that championship mentality back to Detroit damn it.
I don't care who says what, the idea Gores would eat the Monty contract sounds absurd & unrealistic to me. He's pot-committed.

Best case scenario new BBO puts Monty in better situation to be successful and Monty responds by not being trash.

All this still sounds/looks like PR nonsense. Weaver gonna continue to Weaver. Buckle up & hope for the best.
I refuse to buckle. Top down, no buckle, no shoes, no doors.

This is the offseason for making dramatic, and real changes to take a genuine step forward.

There is no more time within the situation, unless they decide to blow it all up again.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#43 » by Cowology » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm

I honestly think Monty *might* be OK. He did some questionable things, but this season was a complete disaster for a plethora of reasons. I'm still sorta in the wait and see camp.

It's Weaver I've run out of patience for. We need to be able to assemble functional lineups with NBA caliber talent. That's his **** job.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 445

Post#44 » by Sort » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm

Cowology wrote:I honestly think Monty *might* be OK. He did some questionable things, but this season was a complete disaster for a plethora of reasons. I'm still sorta in the wait and see camp.

It's Weaver I've run out of patience for. We need to be able to assemble functional lineups with NBA caliber talent. That's his **** job.

This is how I see it, and quite frankly, I'm amazed that's not a Universal Truth at this point. I think even Weaver has acknowledges how much he failed, but still he continues to have a job.

While I could see the argument with Monty doing better with better talent - even if I do think he's still overrated - i simply cannot imagine Weaver suddenly making better decisions because he has a new boss.

To me this just looks like throwing money at a problem because you don't know what else to do.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#45 » by Rip32 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm

guldakot wrote:With Shams confirming they are officially looking for a new head of Basketball Ops, who do you want?

Do you think Gores has a chance of throwing a bag at Bob Myers to come back to the NBA?

Hopefully its someone that is willing and able to convince Gores to fire Weaver from a cannon and rebuild correctly.

Rob Murphy...promote from within and he would come cheap

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,260

Post#46 » by GreekAlex » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 pm

Rip32 wrote:
guldakot wrote:With Shams confirming they are officially looking for a new head of Basketball Ops, who do you want?

Do you think Gores has a chance of throwing a bag at Bob Myers to come back to the NBA?

Hopefully its someone that is willing and able to convince Gores to fire Weaver from a cannon and rebuild correctly.

Isn’t promoting from within the ultimate case of “the inmates running the asylum”?

I’ve made a ton of excuses for Gores & Weaver and I don’t think we’re in the worst spot but there’s definitely been lots of mistakes made and I don’t see us finding those diamonds in the rough like Sacramento did with Keon Ellis.

With all of the bad decisions, it’s difficult to want to promote anyone that’s been around for those mistakes.

We need fresh perspective.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#47 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:If we're going down a rathole of former Pistons who I'd want to see as GM, Vinnie Johnson comes to mind.

Grant Hill, too, depending on how the Olympics go.

You'd have to give either a share of the team. They don't need the money.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,335

Post#48 » by Mr Peanut » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Rip32 wrote:

Isn’t promoting from within the ultimate case of “the inmates running the asylum”?

I’ve made a ton of excuses for Gores & Weaver and I don’t think we’re in the worst spot but there’s definitely been lots of mistakes made and I don’t see us finding those diamonds in the rough like Sacramento did with Keon Ellis.

With all of the bad decisions, it’s difficult to want to promote anyone that’s been around for those mistakes.

I have to presume the Rob Murphy idea is a bad joke. Dude has been fired from the team and is being sued for alleged sexual harrassment.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,439

Post#49 » by He Filled it Up » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’m not wild about this as a general strategy tbh.

I always got the impression there were too many cooks in the kitchen as it is. Adding yet another voice seems ill conceived.

We definitely need a new voice, but I’d much rather it replace voices we already have in place.

Agreed, yet another half measure from the worst owner in the association.

Management is a relationship game, if we’re going the POBO-route then I’d much prefer a career exec rather than a former player or agent. Hard out on Arn or Stephenski. My preference would be for a younger career exec that recognizes that there are no quick fixes for this team. No more early retirement overpays.
Count that baby and a foul!
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,260

Post#50 » by GreekAlex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Rip32 wrote:Rob Murphy...promote from within and he would come cheap

I have to presume the Rob Murphy idea is a bad joke. Dude has been fired from the team and is being sued for alleged sexual harrassment.

I remember that story but I forgot his name.

Thanks for the clarification.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#51 » by Kilo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm

Will be a yes man looking to cash in like Monty did. Come in with a ridiculous contract and no pressure to do anything.

Anybody actually skilled to take over the franchise would want Stefanski, Tellem, Casey, Weaver out of their ass. Way too many cooks in the kitchen and that then means Gores makes the calls. He is a buffoon. A filthy rich one of course.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
jars
Junior
And1: 28

Post#52 » by jars » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am

I don't have much experience working with NBA front offices, but my track record my NBA 2K My GM mode speaks for itself. I can already tell you exactly what will happen:

I'll fire Monty, bring in some random but amazingly talented coaches, scouts and trainers (all unknown until I hire them). CFO will be a bit of an issue for the first few years, but we can take that hit.

We will make lots of trades that will result in some low chemistry for a couple of years, but end up with 4-5 first round picks a year for the next 4 years, including a top 5 pick every year. We will hit on nearly every pick because I will invest heavily in scouting. Championship in 4 years guaranteed. SIGN ME UP!
jars
Junior
And1: 28

Post#53 » by jars » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 am

jars wrote:I don't have much experience working with NBA front offices, but my track record my NBA 2K My GM mode speaks for itself. I can already tell you exactly what will happen:

I'll fire Monty, bring in some random but amazingly talented coaches, scouts and trainers (all unknown until I hire them). CFO will be a bit of an issue for the first few years, but we can take that hit.

We will make lots of trades that will result in some low chemistry for a couple of years, but end up with 4-5 first round picks a year for the next 4 years, including a top 5 pick every year. We will hit on nearly every pick because I will invest heavily in scouting. Championship in 4 years guaranteed. SIGN ME UP!

Obviously hyperbole, but expecting sweeping changes from a new head of BBO is unlikely. It will take that person time to get lay of the land in the organisation and sweeping changes before understanding the organisation is more likely to end up negatively than positively. If you need evidence, go look at the Knicks from the early 2000s until 2020 when Leon Rose took over.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,820

Post#54 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

Ku acts like he knows things but I feel like there were multiple times this season where he expressed confidence something big would happen that ultimately didn’t. I’m not sure he lies per se, but I do think he plays it up and exaggerates what he knows to draw views.

With that said, it doesn’t make sense to hire a new head of BBO without giving them authority to fire guys. That basically strips them of the power dynamic they should have immediately.

But doing things that make sense isn’t a guarantee in Piston land.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#55 » by Drwho17 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm

Cowology wrote:I honestly think Monty *might* be OK. He did some questionable things, but this season was a complete disaster for a plethora of reasons. I'm still sorta in the wait and see camp.

The issues that were within his control he handled poorly, offensive/defensive schemes/rotations/lineups and player development. To me he hurt Ivey's development and Duren regressed defensively, Ausar probably shouldn't have been tossed under so quickly either. Insisting on Stewart being a starter w/Duren and Ausar seems like something a good coach would see quickly as problematic. I think there is a reason Booker didn't fight for him in Phoenix.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 445

Post#56 » by Sort » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Ku acts like he knows things but I feel like there were multiple times this season where he expressed confidence something big would happen that ultimately didn’t. I’m not sure he lies per se, but I do think he plays it up and exaggerates what he knows to draw views.

With that said, it doesn’t make sense to hire a new head of BBO without giving them authority to fire guys. That basically strips them of the power dynamic they should have immediately.

But doing things that make sense isn’t a guarantee in Piston land.

That's the kicker. I mean, shouldn't this decision already be made? Don't you want to maximize the time this person would have this summer before the offseason/draft kicks in? The longer this continues without direction, the less likely I am to believe this will bring any kind of meaningful change.

Pistons got this bad for a reason.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#57 » by Cowology » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 pm

Drwho17 wrote:

The issues that were within his control he handled poorly, offensive/defensive schemes/rotations/lineups and player development. To me he hurt Ivey's development and Duren regressed defensively, Ausar probably shouldn't have been tossed under so quickly either. Insisting on Stewart being a starter w/Duren and Ausar seems like something a good coach would see quickly as problematic. I think there is a reason Booker didn't fight for him in Phoenix.
I agree 100% that is how it looks. I see the same things as everybody else. I'm just a little more hesitant to jump to conclusions when it comes to player development. It can look like a player is regressing and/or struggling when they are re-learning fundamentals or trying to develop new habits. It's a LOT of young guys, a roster that changed daily and a poorly constructed roster to boot.

He may absolutely be a terrible development coach on top of everything else, but that is the part I really am waiting on. I wanna see a healthy team go through training camp together (knock on wood) and see what sort of progress we are making in year 2. It could absolutely be that everybody else is right and Monty sucks. But I'm going to take my time getting there. I'm old. I move slow.

Return to Detroit Pistons