ImageImageImage

New head of BBO.... who do you want?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 481

Re: New head of BBO.... who do you want? 

Post#21 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:28 pm

Isiah Thomas
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#22 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Isiah Thomas

<blows chunks>
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 481

Post#23 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:

<blows chunks>

You rather have Weaver?
I highly doubt the best available guys would join our team, which IS one of the 3 worst positions. Aside from the money, etc., Detroit isn't an attraction.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#24 » by Pandev » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 am

Billups or Rip would be good front-office guys and help build an actual Piston culture. Need people who aren't just here for the pay cheque ala Weaver and Monty
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#25 » by smann7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 am

Tayshaun?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#26 » by A_dub06 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:08 am

I just don’t get it. If you have the intelligence to realise your GM has been an objective failure why hire a BBO to stop said GM making bad decisions as opposed to just getting in the right GM? I also blame the Monty hire on Weaver despite it being Gores’s hire. If he was worth his weight he would be able to stop gores hiring a GM over the top of him but clearly Weaver has no balls either.

Weaver should not remain in the organisation in any capacity.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,011

Post#27 » by BDM22 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 am

A_dub06 wrote:I just don’t get it. If you have the intelligence to realise your GM has been an objective failure why hire a BBO to stop said GM making bad decisions as opposed to just getting in the right GM? I also blame the Monty hire on Weaver despite it being Gores’s hire. If he was worth his weight he would be able to stop gores hiring a GM over the top of him but clearly Weaver has no balls either.

Maybe Gores has some sort of issue here. He couldn’t just fire Casey and now he can’t just fire Weaver.

Looking forward to Monty moving into some assistant role once he’s replaced lol
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,229

Post#28 » by thesack12 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:21 pm

Short of *maybe* Prince, who last I knew was in the Grizzlies' front office, to be honest I don't really want anybody with substantial previous ties to the organization to be the new POBO.

This franchise has been so bad for so long now, you have to go back almost 20 years to find someone who had anything resembling actual success while with the franchise. 20 years in the NBA is the equivalent to like 2 lifetimes ago. Its just an entirely different style of game and really different league overall.

Guys like Isaiah Thomas, who has been thoroughly terrible at multiple front office tenures over the years, and Bill Laimbeer who is in his late 60's has no front office experience and only a cup of coffee as an NBA assistant coach and who's overall attitude and style likely won't gel well with the young people and style of play in today's NBA.

Those types aren't the answer.

Pistons need a new voice, with a new approach, and new vision that isn't influenced by the Pistons' "glory days" of 20-35 years ago.

Unfortunately it appears that a fresh new clean slate, isn't really the plan here. Gores' is insisting on keeping the expired food in his pantry.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,475

Post#29 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

thesack12 wrote:Short of *maybe* Prince, who last I knew was in the Grizzlies' front office, to be honest I don't really want anybody with substantial previous ties to the organization to be the new POBO.

This franchise has been so bad for so long now, you have to go back almost 20 years to find someone who had anything resembling actual success while with the franchise. 20 years in the NBA is the equivalent to like 2 lifetimes ago. Its just an entirely different style of game and really different league overall.

Guys like Isaiah Thomas, who has been thoroughly terrible at multiple front office tenures over the years, and Bill Laimbeer who is in his late 60's has no front office experience and only a cup of coffee as an NBA assistant coach and who's overall attitude and style likely won't gel well with the young people and style of play in today's NBA.

Pistons need a new voice, with a new approach, and new vision that isn't influenced by the Pistons' "glory days" of 20-35 years ago.

Unfortunately it appears that a fresh new clean slate, isn't really the plan here. Gores' is insisting on keeping the expired food in his pantry.

Ya I was jk about Laimbeer.
I'd be happy though somehow if Billups and/or Tay were involved somehow. Moreso Billups. Hire a Prez and let Billups(or Tay) be his understudy. To me Billups seems more a fit as a GM instead of a coach.
The Number 9
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#30 » by The Number 9 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

<blows chunks>

You rather have Weaver?

For this job, yes I think I prefer Weaver and yes, it says a lot about how bad is Thomas in those roles.
At least we don't have toxic contract on our roster.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,696

Post#31 » by Invictus88 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 pm

Canadafan wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Short of *maybe* Prince, who last I knew was in the Grizzlies' front office, to be honest I don't really want anybody with substantial previous ties to the organization to be the new POBO.

I'd be happy though somehow if Billups and/or Tay were involved somehow. Moreso Billups. Hire a Prez and let Billups(or Tay) be his understudy. To me Billups seems more a fit as a GM instead of a coach.

I don't understand how some of these assertions are made. To my knowledge there isn't any demonstrated ability for Billups to be a viable GM in this league.

Is the goal here to coddle with former Pistons players for the feels or is it to actually create a first class organization that is focused on winning basketball games?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,318

Post#32 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

<blows chunks>

You rather have Weaver?
I highly doubt the best available guys would join our team, which IS one of the 3 worst positions. Aside from the money, etc., Detroit isn't an attraction.

There are only 30 of these jobs in the world. We don't need to settle for known trainwrecks.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,944

Post#33 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

If we're going down a rathole of former Pistons who I'd want to see as GM, Vinnie Johnson comes to mind.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,475

Post#34 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

I don't understand how some of these assertions are made. To my knowledge there isn't any demonstrated ability for Billups to be a viable GM in this league.

Is the goal here to coddle with former Pistons players for the feels or is it to actually create a first class organization that is focused on winning basketball games?

Yes correct. I want to coddle lol.
Anything is better than Weaver. I want the "name" guy to be properly groomed for the future job while the actual new POBO does the job. Tay has experience already.
I want the POBO to be the end all be all in regards to anything happening basketball wise though.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,175

Post#35 » by NYPiston » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 pm

A_dub06 wrote:I just don’t get it. If you have the intelligence to realise your GM has been an objective failure why hire a BBO to stop said GM making bad decisions as opposed to just getting in the right GM? I also blame the Monty hire on Weaver despite it being Gores’s hire. If he was worth his weight he would be able to stop gores hiring a GM over the top of him but clearly Weaver has no balls either.

There's no way that any GM has the power to veto an owner's decision to hire somebody. Once Gores had his mind set on Monty, there was nothing Weaver could do about it. You can blame Weaver for a lot of things but the Monty hire falls squarely on Gores shoulders.

But yes, Weaver should have been let go already. The fact that he still remains while Gores looks to hire Weaver's boss is yet another indictment on Gores and the toxic culture he's creating.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 228

Post#36 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 pm

Didn't the guy Weaver wanted ended up getting fired from the Bucks?
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#37 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 pm

I’d rather not have a former player as GM - in general, I see them as easy prey for clever agents.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by A_dub06 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 am

NYPiston wrote:

There's no way that any GM has the power to veto an owner's decision to hire somebody. Once Gores had his mind set on Monty, there was nothing Weaver could do about it. You can blame Weaver for a lot of things but the Monty hire falls squarely on Gores shoulders.

But yes, Weaver should have been let go already. The fact that he still remains while Gores looks to hire Weaver's boss is yet another indictment on Gores and the toxic culture he's creating.

I disagree, I’m not talking about a “veto” of gores vote but rather having the ability to navigate communication with Gores on allowing him to do his job which he is paid to do. If you’re hired to be the GM of a team you would want full autonomy of the team to shape it to your vision and not let others including the owner change it. It’s essentially Gores micromanaging and Weaver allowing it to happen.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by A_dub06 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am

I was listening to the Ku Khahil locked on pistons podcast today and when talking about the search for a new BBO he mentioned that the decision to fire Weaver and Monty will be up to the new BBO which I thought was interesting since what I’ve read was that they are staying for now. That at least gives me hope both these guys could be gone
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#40 » by zeebneeb » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 pm

A_dub06 wrote:I was listening to the Ku Khahil locked on pistons podcast today and when talking about the search for a new BBO he mentioned that the decision to fire Weaver and Monty will be up to the new BBO which I thought was interesting since what I’ve read was that they are staying for now. That at least gives me hope both these guys could be gone
Same thing I've heard. Gores has to go after Myers or Horst. Absolutely has to. Bring that championship mentality back to Detroit damn it.

Return to Detroit Pistons