ImageImageImage

Pistons Offseason Guide (ESPN w/ Bobby Marks)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 478

Pistons Offseason Guide (ESPN w/ Bobby Marks) 

Post#1 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 pm

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons Offseason Guide (ESPN w/ Bobby Marks) 

Post#2 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 pm

One thing he doesn't mention is using our cap space to trade expiring contracts for players with more than a couple of years remaining on their contract... But they way they frame everything, it looks dire unless we make some serious changes that make sense, and no kicking the can.
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Post#3 » by aad » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 pm

Just sign
Monk
Harris
Backup Big
Resign Tek
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,827

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:57 am

Marks paints a pretty bleak and honest picture.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#5 » by Spider156 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:22 am

Everyone knows it’s gonna take 3 years from now to be competitive. Basically he’s saying we are in step two of the rebuild right now talent wise. We have Cade and a bunch of prospects and no future FRPs from other teams, 9 second round picks to use which is good. He says cap space is fool’s gold and who are you gonna pay? It’s looking like we actually need to get a new president to tell us to use our cap space for a guy like Ben Simmons and take on a FRP and basically “punt the cap space” once more. Weaver should have taken a 2-3 year contract 3 years ago for a FRP. Because we have no first round picks, it’s hard to upgrade on any position.

Only way out of this is to overpay.

When. You see Harris get 120m 4 years or 100m for Monk, don’t be surprised or shocked because that’s what it’s going to take. Be thankful we can get any talent in free agency because Bobby doesn’t think we can pay anyone.
Defense wins championships
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:45 am

I wouldn't want to receive Ben Simmons. Enough of the final year of the contract. Detroit can't continue to remain a weigh station.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 186

Post#7 » by JNewton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:14 pm

Snakebites wrote:Marks paints a pretty bleak and honest picture.

Yeah, honestly it's pretty shocking just how bleak the Pistons' situation is after 4+ years of tanking. The new POBO has his work cut out for him, but I'm glad Gores was at least self-aware enough to get someone new in now as this summer will determine if there is any hope of even marginal contention before the end of the decade.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,800

Post#8 » by DBC10 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm

We really never leveraged our cap to take on bad deals for other team's first. Weaver really messed up there and largely why we're in the mess now. That and being unlucky not being able to draft Wemby. Cade & Wemby would've got next as far as future star duos go

Now we're basically crossing our fingers that Cade's extension is worth it based on less than 65 games per season's of healthiness. And that either our young core can withstand another windstorm of development and a piss poor FA class

Wow
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,229

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:39 pm

JNewton wrote:

Yeah, honestly it's pretty shocking just how bleak the Pistons' situation is after 4+ years of tanking. The new POBO has his work cut out for him, but I'm glad Gores was at least self-aware enough to get someone new in now as this summer will determine if there is any hope of even marginal contention before the end of the decade.

Marks is not wrong here, and to be honest he held back. He could have easily and rightfully been more critical and blunt with the outlook for this team.

The biggest issue with finding a new POBO is, not giving them the freedom to shape their own hierarchy to what his vision is. Not being able to pick their own guys will immediately cause a few guys to not have interest in the job. Really, it would be hard to imagine any candidate with option power to even consider taking the Pistons job.

Think about it, other than the basic appeal holding the office/title of POBO of an NBA team, what makes the Detroit job attractive?

Good ownership = no
Good organizational culture = no
Historically well run franchise = no
Get to pick your GM = no
Is he existing GM good = no
Get to pick your HC = no
Is the existing HC good = no
Any legit stars on the roster = no
Solid talent roster wide = no
Collection of quality tradeable assets = no
Cap space = yes
Free agent destination = no

I would love to be wrong, and there is nothing wrong with hoping for the best. But I think we really need to temper our expectations on what kind of candidates are actually in play here. I think we are looking at more of the Ed Stefanski types who are in the retread previous failure mold and are would be happy to get back into a top position regardless of situation.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:
JNewton wrote:

Marks is not wrong here, and to be honest he held back. He could have easily and rightfully been more critical and blunt with the outlook for this team.

The biggest issue with finding a new POBO is, not giving them the freedom to shape their own hierarchy to what his vision is. Not being able to pick their own guys will immediately cause a few guys to not have interest in the job. Really, it would be hard to imagine any candidate with option power to even consider taking the Pistons job.

Think about it, other than the basic appeal holding the office/title of POBO of an NBA team, what makes the Detroit job attractive?

Good ownership = no
Get to pick your GM = no
Get to pick your HC = no
Cap space = yes

I would love to be wrong, and there is nothing wrong with hoping for the best. But I think we really need to temper our expectations on what kind of candidates are actually in play here. I think we are looking at more of the Ed Stefanski types who are in the retread previous failure mold and are would be happy to get back into a top position regardless of situation.

Marks just laid out the options- he didn’t criticize how we got to this point. It was pretty much just a forward looking thing.

And yeah, not a lot of appealing options.
JNewton
Veteran

Post#11 » by JNewton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:01 pm

thesack12 wrote:
JNewton wrote:

Good ownership = no
Get to pick your GM = no
Get to pick your HC = no
Cap space = yes

Reason for concern I definitely agree, but I think (hope) the GM and coach part is overblown. To get anyone worthwhile, they would demand full autonomy and Weaver would not be retained at the very least. All the verbiage that has been put out so far certainly hints at that.

If the Pistons just promote Tellem or Casey, then yeah there is no hope and it is time to tune out completely and come back in 20 years when Gores sells the team.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm

The only hope for me is that at least we’re getting someone with authority in there who doesn’t have an attachment to our young players.

We need someone in there who’s willing to move off of these guys BEFORE they become as useless as Killian Hayes.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,774

Post#13 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 pm

I’m trying to look forward. We know these last few years haven’t worked out. I’m not so worried about shipping all our young guys out. I’m much more concerned about keeping Fontecchio, and bringing in another 3 solid vets that are two way players, can really shoot, and can start for a good team. If we have to trade some players to get them, sure, but otherwise, our young guys get pushed to the bench. We don’t need to trade anyone to get Monk, just pay him. Same with Miles Bridges (although I’m not as high on him as of late). I’m hoping the Pelicans lose to the Kings - they have multiple players that could help us.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#14 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:09 pm

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,774

Post#15 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm

bstein14 wrote:Image

lol. Forgot about this. I think some bettors made some $$$ on this.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,007

Post#16 » by BDM22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 am

Snakebites wrote:The only hope for me is that at least we’re getting someone with authority in there who doesn’t have an attachment to our young players.

We need someone in there who’s willing to move off of these guys BEFORE they become as useless as Killian Hayes.

None of the main young players left are Killian Hayes. They're all NBA players. The issue with Killian is that he was so horrific immediately that his value around the league was virtually nothing as soon as people saw him step foot on an NBA court. At least it was so low that it wasn't really worth trading him as you'd get nothing at all in return, so it made more sense to ride it out and hope he magically showed he was an NBA player.

The only reason it really became detrimental that they didn't trade him was when Monty decided to play him 30mpg in year 4 lol
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,172

Post#17 » by NYPiston » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:46 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I wouldn't want to receive Ben Simmons. Enough of the final year of the contract. Detroit can't continue to remain a weigh station.

When did they start? All they've collected is throwaway 2nd round picks, the Pistons never weaponized their cap space to add some real assets. If the Pistons can get a 1st to take on Simmons, they should do it especially since they don't have a 1st outside of the current one to use as a trade asset.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I wouldn't want to receive Ben Simmons. Enough of the final year of the contract. Detroit can't continue to remain a weigh station.

When did they start? All they've collected is throwaway 2nd round picks, the Pistons never weaponized their cap space to add some real assets. If the Pistons can get a 1st to take on Simmons, they should do it especially since they don't have a 1st outside of the current one to use as a trade asset.

If we could get one of BK’s good firsts for taking on Simmons you gotta do it IMO. Value-wise it’s a better use of assets.

Not sure that’s possible though.
JNewton
Veteran

Post#19 » by JNewton » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm

Snakebites wrote:
NYPiston wrote:

If we could get one of BK’s good firsts for taking on Simmons you gotta do it IMO. Value-wise it’s a better use of assets.

I would concur, but I'm not even sure how many 1sts Brooklyn can even trade. I believe they still owe a few to Houston from the Harden trade. Weaver's failure to capitalize on cap space to accumulate assets has probably been his biggest failure and might be the biggest reason I think the new POBO is going to have to re-rebuild.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#20 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:38 pm

JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
NYPiston wrote:

I would concur, but I'm not even sure how many 1sts Brooklyn can even trade. I believe they still owe a few to Houston from the Harden trade. Weaver's failure to capitalize on cap space to accumulate assets has probably been his biggest failure and might be the biggest reason I think the new POBO is going to have to re-rebuild.

I was actually thinking about Phoenix picks. That team is going off a cliff soon.

Return to Detroit Pistons