ImageImageImage

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Yes, he's going to make a major change to the power structure of our organization in the summer of 2024.
73%
No, he's going to let it ride with Weaver/Tellum tandem and just keep "restoring" per usual.
27%

Total votes: 26

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,105

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

Will Gores really hire a new person with final say over all basketball moves above Weaver this summer?

We're getting close to the NBA draft lottery here in less than two weeks now I would think he'd want someone in the building by the time we find out where we land, so that the scouting process can really start to ramp up to make sure we make the right play with the pick.

If we don't see Gores make a move by the end of May I feel like he might just roll with Weaver moving forward for another year (or possibly more).

The last thing you want to do is hire someone in a week or two before the draft to make the final say on all our moves IMO.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 200

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#2 » by JNewton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 pm

He will, but in typical Gores fashion, there certainly doesn't appear to be any sense of urgency to it. No tidbits of anyone even being approached yet let alone interviewed.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,954

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm

I’m reminded of when he hired Stefanski to put together a new team and hire new people.

It was made super vague whether or not we were hiring a new GM and eventually it just kind of became clear Stefanski was just the GM, despite not having a title as such.

It’s pretty likely this will be some half measure.

Nobody will want this job without the power to let go of Troy/Monty if they so choose. Why would they accept a job where the broken power structure must be preserved?

Only guy I could see accepting that position is Casey.

And I think most agree that would result in nothing changing really.

The ONLY way this can work is if it’s a totally new person who has the power to wipe the table clean. And I just don’t feel that we’ll get that.

As always, I hope I’m wrong.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,439

Post#4 » by Billl » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm

They already announced it, right? So it would be really odd if they didn't hire someone with that title. We'll see how much power that person really has.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Gores prefers someone else be the hatchet man when that time comes.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#5 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Gores is weak, and doesn't want to fire anyone, so he'll hire someone to do it for him. Then when **** goes south yet again, he can claim he had nothing to do with it.

Gores is a bum. The fact that the 6th worst team in NBA history, with the 2nd worst GM in history still hasn't done anything speaks very loudly.

Bumbling idiot.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,134

Post#6 » by The Moose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:29 pm

I bet it’s Horst and they’re waiting for the Bucks season to end to announce it officially
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#7 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 pm

I guess the rumor is Horst is deeply interested, and his choice of coach is Atkinson.(instead of Rivers)

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/29/24144232/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-milwaukee-bucks-nba-rumors
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#8 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:39 pm

i voted NO, unless he hires a very strong personality who would not come here unless they had Final say, but I don't see too many guys available who have that cache
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#9 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:i voted NO, unless he hires a very strong personality who would not come here unless they had Final say, but I don't see too many guys available who have that cache
Its gonna be Horst. My guess is that he'll want to fire Monty the first chance he gets, and hire Atkinson.

This is gonna happen.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:17 am

zeebneeb wrote:I guess the rumor is Horst is deeply interested, and his choice of coach is Atkinson.(instead of Rivers)

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/29/24144232/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-milwaukee-bucks-nba-rumors

His choice of coach WAS Atkinson before they hired Rivers.

And that would have been a much better choice than Rivers (or Williams for us).

I don't know how reliable a source O'Connor is but I do like the idea of bringing in someone like this who has experience and no ego-investment in the decisions already made.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Post#11 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:58 am

Jury is out on Horst as a rebuilding GM. He came onto the scene for Milwaukee when they already had Giannis and Middleton, and his job was to make trades/vet signings to get them over the hump to get a championship (which in fairness he succeeded at). The situation he comes into here will be quite different.

I think the criticism of his drafting is a little unfounded. Pretty much all of his picks have been in the 20s or second rounders when the draft is a crapshoot anyway. He did draft DiVincenzo at 17 for what that's worth.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 200

Post#12 » by JNewton » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:58 am

I'm mixed on Horst - anyone would be a major improvement over the Weaver/Tellem/Stefanski unholy trinity, but it always seemed to me that John Hammond built the Milwaukee core more than Horst, who came in after Giannis and Middleton were already firmly in place. His recent moves have been marginal at best, with the caveat that most of them were probably heavily pressed for by Giannis and/or ownership. He did trade for Jrue Holiday and sign Robin Lopez for an MLE deal that turned into a major bargain, which were the moves that probably put them over the top. The Dame trade is looking like it could be a major disaster (especially with Holiday ending up on their major rival in Boston), but I get the feeling that was in reaction to Giannis talking about moves needing to be made.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm

Q: When is a GM not a GM?
A: When fraud is involved.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#14 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 pm

Bucks likely to be eliminated tonight (Dame and Giannis out).

Might hear more tomorrow.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:40 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:Jury is out on Horst as a rebuilding GM. He came onto the scene for Milwaukee when they already had Giannis and Middleton, and his job was to make trades/vet signings to get them over the hump to get a championship (which in fairness he succeeded at). The situation he comes into here will be quite different.

I think the criticism of his drafting is a little unfounded. Pretty much all of his picks have been in the 20s or second rounders when the draft is a crapshoot anyway. He did draft DiVincenzo at 17 for what that's worth.

I don’t think a slam dunk choice as a rebuilding GM is available.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#16 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/the-nbas-annual-coaching-carousel

The Pistons, I’m told, would naturally have interest in Timberwolves lead executive Tim Connelly in the event that Connelly was moved to use the opt-out clause in his Minnesota contract at season’s end.
– via marcstein.substack.com

I have since confirmed, as previously reported here, that Detroit does indeed plan to have Michigan native (and Pistons alumnus) Jon Horst on its candidate list if Horst is open to leaving the Bucks at season’s end.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#17 » by Canadafan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:i voted NO, unless he hires a very strong personality who would not come here unless they had Final say, but I don't see too many guys available who have that cache
Its gonna be Horst. My guess is that he'll want to fire Monty the first chance he gets, and hire Atkinson.

This is gonna happen.

Don't u tease me Zeebneeb! :lol:
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#18 » by zeebneeb » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:51 pm

Canadafan wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

This is gonna happen.

Don't u tease me Zeebneeb! :lol:
I'm just trying to be logical. Ton of smoke around Horst. New president will have full power, and can fire/hire whomever. Horst is NOT going to want to come in and appear weak. He also, unless he's been under a rock, knows how terrible the Pistons season(s 5 in a row) have been going.

One, or both of Weaver/Monty are toast if he does indeed take the job. Weaver is the easiest, BUT, Horst really wanted Atkinson, and was overruled, and Atkinson is available.

He can come in, and completely change everything, day one, and hit the ground running.

Horst gets exactly what he was denied in Milwaukee, full control, and Gores gets his fall guy if everything goes to **** again.

Win/win.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 12:44 am

I hope we get someone good.

But whoever we get will be approached with skepticism until proven otherwise. We’ve had our fair share of false saviors in recent years.

That said, I'm encouraged to hear that the new hire will have the power to decide the fate of Weaver and Williams. That's essential to me. I hope both are out the door but at the very least a new PBO needs to have the power to make that call.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#20 » by Canadafan » Wed May 1, 2024 4:17 am

JJ Reddick hmmmmm

Return to Detroit Pistons