ImageImageImage

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Yes, he's going to make a major change to the power structure of our organization in the summer of 2024.
73%
No, he's going to let it ride with Weaver/Tellum tandem and just keep "restoring" per usual.
27%

Total votes: 26

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,954

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 4:35 am

Canadafan wrote:JJ Reddick hmmmmm

He seems to want to coach, not work in a FO.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#22 » by Mr Peanut » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 am

One wonders if Gores will identify whoever seems the best candidate (i.e. Connelly) and then uses the Monty method where he just keeps raising the dollar figure until they accept.

It's a nice idea in principle, but if you then realize early that they're terrible at their job (i.e. Monty) then you're financially tied to them to ride it out for a bit.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#23 » by Canadafan » Wed May 1, 2024 12:31 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Was a writeup on "the SteinLine" mentioning Detroit and him for their POBO if JJ decided he wanted to go that route.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 12:56 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Was a writeup on "the SteinLine" mentioning Detroit and him for their POBO if JJ decided he wanted to go that route.

Right. So what we might offer him is not what he’s stated he’s interested in.

That was my point.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by Canadafan » Wed May 1, 2024 4:18 pm

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#26 » by MortSahlfan » Wed May 1, 2024 4:37 pm

It seems a bit rushed how a few hear JJ on TV and think, "We gotta hire this guy" who has no coaching experience or GM experience. I'd be happy with Connelly or Horst because they are an improvement.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by Canadafan » Wed May 1, 2024 4:38 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:It seems a bit rushed how a few hear JJ on TV and think, "We gotta hire this guy" who has no coaching experience or GM experience. I'd be happy with Connelly or Horst because they are an improvement.

I'd prefer Horst or Connelly for sure.
Reddick I'd rather have as coach over Monty. Can't stand Monty
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by MortSahlfan » Wed May 1, 2024 4:49 pm

Canadafan wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:It seems a bit rushed how a few hear JJ on TV and think, "We gotta hire this guy" who has no coaching experience or GM experience. I'd be happy with Connelly or Horst because they are an improvement.

I'd prefer Horst or Connelly for sure.
Reddick I'd rather have as coach over Monty. Can't stand Monty

I'm just wondering how he suddenly became a coaching candidate, and now President. If we're going to make a change, we should go with guys with a record like the two finalists (it seems). It's the same with players.. I'd rather trade young guys for mid/late 20s veterans who can play defense and shoot.

Someone mentioned Ingram, and he is NOT a guy who I'd want. Besides sitting on the bench for half the playoff game, it seems like you have to live/die with his shooting.. Josh Hart, DonteD, Anounoby just with NY.. They aren't the top 1-2 players, but they'd improve any team. I hope we get guys like that instead of the constant dice throwing. Fans are done waiting...

Monty annoys me, and he seems very stubborn, but I think ego might be in the way of that decision because he became the highest paid coach in history at that moment, and to fire him after only one year might be a huge negotiation with the next guy. I'm just imagining the pitch being, "Can you do what you want without firing Monty yet?" but it's Gores' money and I'd rather him say, "Guess we made a mistake and this is why we're going in this direction - one final voice" (with input from a handful of others anyway).
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#29 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 5:36 pm

JJ seems to know the game and understands it well.

I wouldn’t think it was a bad idea for someone to give him a look as a head coach.

I think there are better options to run the team though.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,366

Post#30 » by flow » Wed May 1, 2024 6:55 pm

I enjoyed Redick's podcast before he joined espn. He's a good conversationalist. That's all. He's not a real candidate. Not for this job.

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by MortSahlfan » Wed May 1, 2024 7:35 pm

I think most former NBA players know it well. I just think it's "fool's gold" because a guy has lots of followers thank to ABC (which lead to YouTube, etc) and eventually people think, "Yeah, that sounds about right".. I just think after these horrible years, we need someone proven. When Connelly opted out, I thought, "Ok, Tom, now is your chance" but Horst would be a good choice, too..
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#32 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 8:46 pm

Conelly is the architect of two damn good teams. Top choice, but we'll see.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#33 » by DBC10 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:28 pm

If the new POBO comes in and Weaver/Tellem/Monty are still here in any meaningful capacity, it's already grim from the start

You can't have leftover rust and try to cover over it

Gores somehow pulling this off seems highly unrealistic to me considering the Monty fiasco
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#34 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 9:52 pm

DBC10 wrote:If the new POBO comes in and Weaver/Tellem/Monty are still here in any meaningful capacity, it's already grim from the start

You can't have leftover rust and try to cover over it

Gores somehow pulling this off seems highly unrealistic to me considering the Monty fiasco
If I had to guess, if it's Conelly or Horst, Monty is toast. Weaver will be kept, as a scapegoat. Unable to make his own moves, he will just be a figurehead while Conelly/Horst pull the strings in the background.

Things go bad, Weaver get fired out of a cannon.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#35 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 10:27 pm

We may not find out until after these guys’ teams are eliminated.

Wolves and Bucks still playing meaningful games.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#36 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 11:58 pm

Snakebites wrote:We may not find out until after these guys’ teams are eliminated.

What im hoping is, is that we haven't found out precisely because of that reason.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#37 » by Snakebites » Wed May 1, 2024 11:59 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:We may not find out until after these guys’ teams are eliminated.

What im hoping is, is that we haven't found out precisely because of that reason.

Me too. And it is possible. Really can’t know yet.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Post#38 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 10:15 am

There's a reasonable chance the Bucks season is over today and maybe the Horst news breaks not long after.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#39 » by BDM22 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:55 am

I'm not thrilled with the Horst idea tbh. He inherited an all-time great player (and Middleton), whom I think that organization has largely failed (even with the 1 title run). Made a lot of panic moves. This Bud to Griffin to Doc thing has been a disaster. I'm not sure that going away from their defensive identity with Jrue to Lillard was a wise move either. He also has no track record at drafting at all. He has basically 1 real NBA player drafted in 7 years as GM (Donte D). Remove Giannis from that situation and it's bleak.

Connelly is obviously a lot more intriguing and easily the #1 option.

I would probably rather give JJ a shot than retread Horst or the Blazer's guy or the Mavs guy I've heard rumors of as I think both the Blazers and Mavs have track records at building around Luka and Dame that you don't want to mimic.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,105

Post#40 » by bstein14 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:58 pm

In theory JJ could soon be making more from his podcast with LeBron than what we'd offer him to be the GM of the franchise. I doubt he has interest in coming to run Detroit.

Jalen Rose is an interesting name who loves Detroit but its almost like hiring a former player if things go south you end up ruining that relationship like we saw with Dumars.

Return to Detroit Pistons