ImageImageImage

Is Chauncey Billups shaving points?!?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#21 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:38 pm

HeroicKennedy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
The likelyhood of Billups shaving points is the likelyhood of Barry Bonds not being on steroids.

I don't think he's shaving points, but I deifnitely think something is going on with Billups. Somethings off and I can't put my finger on it.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,666

Post#22 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Liqourish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think he's shaving points, but I deifnitely think something is going on with Billups. Somethings off and I can't put my finger on it.

How about he's not as good as he and everybody else thinks he is? How about he is not Mr. Big Shot. He is Mr. Takes a lot of Shots?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#23 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:31 pm

How about I'm one of the many Piston fans who calls him Mr. Big Head.... this is different. I am well aware of Chaunceys faults and flaws.... this is different.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#24 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I prefer the term "Mr. Shot", especially when he's forcing the big shots (often due to his oopses beforehand -- turnovers, missed FTs) and not making them.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,666

Post#25 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Liqourish wrote:How about I'm one of the many Piston fans who calls him Mr. Big Head.... this is different. I am well aware of Chaunceys faults and flaws.... this is different.

How is it different? He just got paid and he's playing pretty much the same as he always has. What's the big difference now and how is it impacting the Pistons?

You can't blame the New York loss on him unless he paid off a whole team.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#26 » by triplet1984 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

lol! I like chauncey as much as anyone, and there are only like 2 PGs I'd trade him for, but he's not really an elite player or anything.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#27 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

There was a time when Billups earned his Mr. Big Shot title, hitting 12 game-tying or winning shots in one season.

If anything, I think he puts too much pressure on himself in late game situations. Like "I have to win this game for my team." He just needs to defer more, is all.

And as someone already pointed out: where was all this talk during the 11 game win streak?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#28 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Actually alot of people have been talking about this team all season, but the same handful of posters on this board defend the starters and Flip no matter what. it's like the board watches one team and the few posters see another team all together. I haven't quite figured it out yet.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#29 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

I defend the Piston starters and Saunders because the starters have been part of one of the best runs in Piston history, and Saunders because he has had some playoff success since coming to the Pistons (remember, we started the playoffs 6-1 in 2006 and 7-0 in 2007). No, it's not that they can do no wrong, I just have more faith in their ability than saaaaaaaay some random guy on a message board. It's one thing to just say "PLAY AMIR MORE AND WE'LL WIN" but it doesn't necessarily make that true. I'd put more faith in a professional basketball coach who's had several years of experience and played ball himself. Flip is doing what's best for the team, and the fact that Dumars hasn't really put Flip on the hot seat means he agrees.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,103

Post#30 » by tmorgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:29 pm

You're more than entitled to your opinion, HK, but don't bring that "I put more faith in [insert professional] than in [insert poster]" crap to a message board.

If all we are allowed to do here is bow to the decisions of those that make them because they "know more than we do", there's no point in having a message board at all. I don't need to join Flip or Joe or anyone else's cult of personality, and if I think something is wrong, I'm going to say it.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#31 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

I think you misinterpret what I mean. You are entitled to your opinion, and you can speak it all you want. That's why the message board exists. However, the reason I defend Flip and the starters (which is what the above poster was wondering) is because I have faith in their decisions and they have previous success to back it up. That's my opinion.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#32 » by tmorgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Which is, of course, fine ... if you believe Flip Saunders has had any success when it counts.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#33 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 pm

tmorgan wrote:Which is, of course, fine ... if you believe Flip Saunders has had any success when it counts.

Which I believe he has.

After losing Ben Wallace, I predicted a second round exit for the Pistons. Even when adding Webber, I figured the team would probably still bow out to the Bulls.

The team came close to sweeping the Bulls. That was overachieving in my opinion.

He took a mediocre (yes, mediocre) Wolves team to the Western Conference Finals. When after Kevin Garnett, your next options are an aging Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell, anything past the second round is money in my books.

Of course, people will disagree, but Flip has overachieved as much as he has underachieved like taking terrible Minnesota teams to the playoffs.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#34 » by tmorgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I completely disagree with your assessment. I'll leave it at that.

Return to Detroit Pistons