Where does Pedro rank on the all time list?!?

Moderator: TyCobb

Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Where does Pedro rank on the all time list?!? 

Post#1 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:06 pm

I mean he had the most dominant time a pitcher ever had in 1999 and 2000 in a hitter friendly era, and he certainly never got linked to steroids - like Roger Clemens for example...

So where does Pedro rank?!? Is he top 3 ever, top 10?!?

Discuss...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Chach » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Pure peak, I will always say he was the best pitcher ever. His stretch from 1997 to 2001 when he got hurt, he was simply out of this world. He was putting up Gibson-esque numbers with a lower mound and a much hitter friendlier league.

The problem was that he was great but only for a short time. Injuries towards the end of his career have cut him short on what should be a great ride into retirement. Right now, he's only throwing in the mid to high 80s as he's trying to rehab from rotator cuff surgery and he's simply not going to be the same pitcher he was before it. That playoff game in Cleveland that cemented my love for Pedro may have actually ruined his career. I don't blame Theo for letting him walk or for Pedro walking for more money. I'm glad we didn't sign him but I do miss him.

Top 10 easy, maybe you can make a case for top 5 but definitely top 10. mahalo
~Chach~
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,882

Post#3 » by Jose7 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Inning for Inning he may be the best pitcher of all time.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
dbenton
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by dbenton » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:09 pm

The comparison that always comes up with him in Sandy Kofaux and I tend to agree. For a short period, he was pure dominance with the 1999 ALDS against the Cleveland Indians being a crown jewel.

He was also the only pitcher in the last 10-15 years who was a show when he pitched and forced you to pay attention every five days.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#5 » by Da Schwab » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 pm

As much as I hate Pedro for everyhting he's done to the Yankees (overwhelming pitching dominance, "The Zimmer Incident", etc.), he was the #1 pitcher in all of baseball for 5 strong years, as Chach mentioned before.

I would rank Pedro in the Top 10 in my mind, probably 6th or 7th. He'd easily be Top 5 all-time, if not for the injuries he has suffered in the last 3-4 years.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#6 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jul 1, 2007 2:08 pm

He's the most dominant pitcher ever but probably not in the top five greatest pitchers ever.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
PhillyPhan07
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by PhillyPhan07 » Mon Jul 2, 2007 2:05 am

last
Loving Life
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jul 2, 2007 12:43 pm

No.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Chach » Mon Jul 2, 2007 11:58 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:No.

Don't making fun of the mentally disabled. It's obvious he is suffering from the rare medical condition known as mental dyslexia. It's where they think one thing and say it backwards, sorta like a true dyslexia scrambles up letters and words. I have the link to the offical DSM-IV profile page for the disorder

DSM-IV Profile Page- Mental Dyslexia

mahalo
~Chach~

Return to The General MLB Board