Chris Johnson V All-Day V Pocket Hercules

Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Chris Johnson V All-Day V Pocket Hercules 

Post#1 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:02 pm

who do you think is having a better year?!?!
While AP is the obvious choice, CJ is leading him in all statistical category whil Pocket Herc is probably the best all-round back available.!

I would probably go with C.J first, then AP, then MJD even though pocket is probably my fav as I love all round backs!
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,871

Re: Chris Johnson V All-Day V Pocket Hercules 

Post#2 » by Triple M » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:17 am

This year alone it is CJ easily although I would still say AP is the best back in the league although he isn't as complete as CJ and MJD. Those guys can receive out of the back field and stay in to block as well.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,146
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Dec 1, 2009 7:59 pm

Peterson is still the best back. We kinda go through this yearly, we have the guy that we know is the main back, and every year, some other cat is gonna challenge for the top spot but not keep up that production yearly. I'm not sure Chris Johnson is that guy, but considering how big of a chunk of his total yardage are all big plays, I'm hard pressed to see him sustain this forever.... but he's been consistent with it so far.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Dec 2, 2009 1:23 am

^^
But cant you say the same with AP, sure its not as big play as Chris Johnson, but AP is similar to CJ as they are a 1,0,0,0,80 type runners (ofcourse that is an exxageration but you get what i mean). AP is not really the reliable every down grind them down back.
I laughed at this idea in the beginning of the season. But when you think about it, only thing AP has is he is a more bruiser type back....but..
he still has Fumbling problems
Still quite bad on catching and blocking

The only thing that maybe a problem is if CJ can continue it due to his fragile frame as that will always be a worry..

All Im saying is, are we just accepting the fact that AP is the best back, because the media says so..
Just answer me this, what does he do so much better than CJ than you would not mind him fumbling almost 10x a season..or the fact that you cant leave him in the backfield to block or to catch!
But by saying that AP also had health problems in college so...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:16 am

I think Peterson's "problems" catching the ball and blocking are overblown to be honest. I think he's an excellent receiver when he's thrown the ball, he's just not really used in that capacity. You guys know better than anything that I put 0 credence on what the media thinks :D

The receiving stats are pretty similar at the moment, neither guy is like Marshall Faulk where you can really run them from the slot, they are both just dump off guys, and they produce at a similar level.

Also, as terrific as the Vikings line is, the Titans are blocking at an all time great level in the running game, and they have the nastiest O-line in the league. God I'd have sex with J.Kim to take that Line from them :( Johnson has taken pitches and ran untouched without as much as making a move. Lendale White ran 80 yards without being touched!! LENDALE WHITE!!

I'm with you on the big play thing with Peterson too, he does get a large chunk of his yards on big plays, and if you stop the big plays, his YPC is usuall sub par, but Chris Johnson is an even bigger anomaly on that. I saw something like last week that over 40% of his yards came on like 7 runs! That's awesome, and weird at the same time.

I just think Peterson is a 100% lock to keep his high level production up, maybe he won't be the top guy, but he'll be top 2-3 statistically every year, like Tomlinson was, and we'll see a lot of guys have big years and fall back down like Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson, Mike Turner, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Williams... etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can see Chris Johnson coming back down to earth more so than Peterson, I think this is about on par with a "low" season for what Peterson is.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#6 » by High 5 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:51 am

I wouldn't call AP the obvious choice. Not after what CJ has done this season. Can't ignore the fumbles, either. AP is averaging a fumble for every 44 carries, CJ is averaging a fumble every 234 carries.

And if you're just asking who is having a better year then that's definitely CJ.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Dec 2, 2009 10:41 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think Peterson's "problems" catching the ball and blocking are overblown to be honest. I think he's an excellent receiver when he's thrown the ball, he's just not really used in that capacity. You guys know better than anything that I put 0 credence on what the media thinks :D

The receiving stats are pretty similar at the moment, neither guy is like Marshall Faulk where you can really run them from the slot, they are both just dump off guys, and they produce at a similar level.

Also, as terrific as the Vikings line is, the Titans are blocking at an all time great level in the running game, and they have the nastiest O-line in the league. God I'd have sex with J.Kim to take that Line from them :( Johnson has taken pitches and ran untouched without as much as making a move. Lendale White ran 80 yards without being touched!! LENDALE WHITE!!

I'm with you on the big play thing with Peterson too, he does get a large chunk of his yards on big plays, and if you stop the big plays, his YPC is usuall sub par, but Chris Johnson is an even bigger anomaly on that. I saw something like last week that over 40% of his yards came on like 7 runs! That's awesome, and weird at the same time.

I just think Peterson is a 100% lock to keep his high level production up, maybe he won't be the top guy, but he'll be top 2-3 statistically every year, like Tomlinson was, and we'll see a lot of guys have big years and fall back down like Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson, Mike Turner, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Williams... etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can see Chris Johnson coming back down to earth more so than Peterson, I think this is about on par with a "low" season for what Peterson is.

I can agree to a certain fact that AP's inability to catch and block is overblown and CJ is no Marshall Faulk. But I have a problem when AP is unable to play all the downs and they require Chester Taylor to come in. I also think Lendale White is a good back and it is a testament to "Coach's Dream" that he is taking most of the snaps compared to last year, because you just can't take a player like that out. I still do believe CJ is better if only slightly in re: to catching and blocking than AP.

In re: to Lines, I think the Vikes have a better line (maybe you have the stats on this), but I do think the difference is marginal. and when you take into account that AP (Atleast this year) has other weapons around him to take the pressure off of him (Favre, Rice, Berrian, Harvin) I think you can negate the advantage of the line. The only help I see CJ has is when Vince Young runs the option play with CJ. in which I think is just a phenomenal play.!
This is where if you compare the three, I think Pocket Hercules deserves a bit of respect..I mean if they still have TRA THOMAS as there LT they're line cant be that good..He is probably the worst Run Blocking LT in the league (Great in Pass Protection though)..He is also by far the most complete back of the 3.!(still would'nt take him above the two though)

I can see where your coming from where it is probably a safer pick to assume that AP will continue his high production (Taking into account body type and so forth). But the only reason I say that is because CJ just looks fragile (Body type that is)..but you can be 100lbs, and if you are that fast who cares..no one is gonna catch you.. One thing I do think is, CJ's ability to run between the tackle is under-rated due to his 4.24 speed. I actually think he is a very good inside runner and with that speed its amazing..!

The problem with the Low season argument with AP (Correct me if im wrong, and without even looking at the stats)..his first and second year is not that far off..!Now with CJ, this is probably a high season (Considering the fact it is on par with probably the best RB season of all time)..but it doesnt necessarily say that he cant even keep up with 90% production..and I would assume 90% or maybe even 80% of the production is good enough for a pro bowl type season...

I just do think when I watch him nowadays is that he is the second coming of Barry!
and as what High-5 says, you just can't ignore the fumbles..they are disturbingly high...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 2, 2009 12:03 pm

He's not Barry at all, not that it's a bad thing, but Barry was a dancer and made dudes miss and bounce off like Crazy.... CJ flat out runs past them lol.

As for the line, Roos is much better than McKinnie, Stewart is much better than rookie loadholt, and the interior (Jake Scott, Eugene Amano, and Kevin Mawae) is better than Steve Hutchinson... as great as he is.

Vikes line is awesome as well, but Titans is flat out better.

I'd argue Chester Taylor isn't used enough. Throughout games, there comes a point where you are grinding out short yardage plays, and running plays to get first downs when you know you aren't going to get a big run, and it wears your backs down.

Chris Johnson is definitely having the better season though.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,560

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 2, 2009 1:15 pm

The Vikings line isn't very good at run blocking. Middle of the pack at best.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,871

Post#10 » by Triple M » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:03 am

the Titans line is good but they are much better in pass protection then run blocking. They are not as good in run blocking as some think. Amano is terrible and Mawae shows his age at times especially against stronger DT's. For example, Mawae was completely owned when he went up against Kris Jenkings as a result CJ was stuffed around 9-10 times it seemed yet he was still able to rush for 97 yards.
Dalbi
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Dalbi » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:38 am

I've seen a lot of comments about Chris Johnson being more likely to slow down than Adrian. I don't really see any proof in that. Chris Johnson is one of the most explosive players and is only getting better when the Titans passing game is getting better. Johnson is in his second year and he had a great rookie season with 1,228 yards while sharing carries with Lendale White. AP had only a few more yards than that. Chris Johnson might slow down but he hasn't done anything to show that he will.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,610

Post#12 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Dec 7, 2009 2:17 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:He's not Barry at all, not that it's a bad thing, but Barry was a dancer and made dudes miss and bounce off like Crazy.... CJ flat out runs past them lol.

Yeah it's funny. Fast guys come in the league all the time and they never do this. I was dead convinced that being a pinball like Barry was the only way to rack up yard per carry numbers like this. CJ has opened my eyes.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Player Comparisons