Tigers give High Schooler Rick Porcello 7.3 mil.

Moderator: TyCobb

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#41 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Yeah that is an outrageous amount of money to give to this kid, but it was somewhat expected. We all know he slid down to 27 overall because of this reason. However dont forget Dave Dombrowski did draft Beckett so he should know what is up here. He is the reigning Gatorade National High School Player of the Year and what do we learn about this? Who needs college when you can throw a ball...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Chach » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:20 am

So it seems only time on the 25 man roster and the DL counts towards service time so it won't affect his arby years but it still could potentially **** up his development if there is a snag a long the road. mahalo
~Chach~
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#43 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:18 am

There won't be.

Would you rather pay some back-end rotation pitcher 7.3 mil a season or give Rick Porcello 7.3 million?

I know my answer.

Why more teams don't exploit the draft is beyond me.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
mets87
Senior
And1: 0

Post#44 » by mets87 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:16 pm

yeah, because those are the only two choices. ever.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#45 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:33 pm

mets87 wrote:yeah, because those are the only two choices. ever.
Yeah, it kind of is the only two choices. Take a look at the money guys like Ted Lilly and Jeff Suppan got last year. $10M per year type money for guys who were 4 or 5's in the AL.

Rick Porcello at $7M is a bargain.
Rip'nTheCourt
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#46 » by Rip'nTheCourt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:45 pm

I guess Bud Selig has been getting on the Tigers case ever since word of Porcello's $7 million signing made way to his desk on Tuesday. And Dave Dombrowski's response to Selig according to one Major League source...

"Sure we went over slot to sign him, at least we didn't spend $50 million just to talk to a pitcher from Japan."

BAM. :rofl:
mets87
Senior

Post#47 » by mets87 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 pm

kobeSTOPkobeDONT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, it kind of is the only two choices. Take a look at the money guys like Ted Lilly and Jeff Suppan got last year. $10M per year type money for guys who were 4 or 5's in the AL.

so because gm's are (Please Use More Appropriate Word) enough that they'll pay that much money for league-average pitchers that means some kid that's never faced a professional hitter (not even a college one) deserves 7 million?!

ugh.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#48 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 pm

mets87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

so because gm's are (Please Use More Appropriate Word) enough that they'll pay that much money for league-average pitchers that means some kid that's never faced a professional hitter (not even a college one) deserves 7 million?!

ugh.
Who would you spend it on? Those GM's were a little (Please Use More Appropriate Word), but that is the market for starting pitching.

I'd really like you to give me the name of a quality player who would sign for what Porcello got. I'd imagine the only thing you could come up with would be a reliever.

Also, the fact that he hasn't faced a college hitter doesn't mean a ton. They obviously trust their scouts (as they should, look at the top tier talent they've drafted and signed recently-- Verlander, Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin) and their scouts, along with pretty much every scout, think this kid is the real deal.

Bottom line: They picked 27th and landed the 2nd best talent in the draft. Great move.
mets87
Senior

Post#49 » by mets87 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:46 pm

i mostly agree with you; i just think 7 million for someone who hasn't proven anything is a bit much. /shrug
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#50 » by 34Celtic » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:28 am

you hate people earning money dont you mets? if the system says he gets 7 million, well I say its a hell of a system. Imagine a job where you could get a $7 million bonus out of high school. Hell my job I just got out of college paid a signing bonus of $500
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
mets87
Senior

Post#51 » by mets87 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:10 am

lol...money has never been an issue for me...get my drift? ;)

and if the system says someone who's shown nothing whatsoever gets 7 million then that's a pretty messed up system. i'm not gonna get all moral and crap and talk about all the people who probably need that sort of money but...yeah...baseball's out of control :P
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#52 » by cmaff051 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 am

mets87 wrote:lol...money has never been an issue for me...get my drift? ;)

and if the system says someone who's shown nothing whatsoever gets 7 million then that's a pretty messed up system. i'm not gonna get all moral and crap and talk about all the people who probably need that sort of money but...yeah...baseball's out of control :P

Porcello has shown a lot more than you give him credit for.
mets87
Senior

Post#53 » by mets87 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:48 am

dominating high school hitters? congratulations to him i suppose. he does look like he's got a lot of potential. good luck to him, of course. but 7 million...sheesh. ah, baseball. :)
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#54 » by cmaff051 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 am

mets87 wrote:dominating high school hitters? congratulations to him i suppose. he does look like he's got a lot of potential. good luck to him, of course. but 7 million...sheesh. ah, baseball. :)

Lebron dominated high school baseball players. Does that mean he wasn't legit?

The fact is, scouts have seen a good enough amount of Porcello to determine that he is worth a 7 million plus. He consistently sits at 94-95 and has plus offspeed stuff and good command.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#55 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:52 am

Just like when LeBron was dominating high schoolers, what does that mean, I mean really. It's not like scouts say he has a great arm or anything.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad signing is simply wrong, kudos to the Tigers for being smarter than everyone else and exploiting the draft. And they've done it for a while with there Verlander, Maybin, and Miller picks who all dropped to them for signability concerns. To spend money on these top prospects is a whole lot smarter to spend it on free agents and it seems only a couple team have figured that out, sad.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#56 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Lebron dominated high school baseball players. Does that mean he wasn't legit?

The fact is, scouts have seen a good enough amount of Porcello to determine that he is worth a 7 million plus. He consistently sits at 94-95 and has plus offspeed stuff and good command.

Ok, seriously you can't just take my post like that.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#57 » by cmaff051 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:57 am

bigboy1234 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok, seriously you can't just take my post like that.

Wow, they are eerily similar. :o :o
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#58 » by 34Celtic » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 pm

mets87 wrote:lol...money has never been an issue for me...get my drift? ;)

Its not $7 million a year, its a signing bonus.

I'm getting your drit, you dont mind guys being signed to large contracts...as long as they perform. Am I correct?
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Chach » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:54 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Just like when LeBron was dominating high schoolers, what does that mean, I mean really. It's not like scouts say he has a great arm or anything.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad signing is simply wrong, kudos to the Tigers for being smarter than everyone else and exploiting the draft. And they've done it for a while with there Verlander, Maybin, and Miller picks who all dropped to them for signability concerns. To spend money on these top prospects is a whole lot smarter to spend it on free agents and it seems only a couple team have figured that out, sad.

Don't get me wrong, I love what the Tiggers are doing in terms of the recent drafts and I hate Julio Lugo with all my soul for costing us the #20 pick and I give the Tigers a nod for signing him but I simply don't like the ML deal part. TINSTAAPP. And to give an 18 year old with no professional experience three years to make it through the entire minor leagues is just a poor decision I think. mahalo
~Chach~

Return to The General MLB Board