2011 Draft Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,180

Re: 2011 Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by The Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:14 am

With those measurement from the Combine, Tyron Smith could be #1 Tackle off the board.
Minny will definitely take a look, so will Dallas, Detroit.

Offensive linemen and tight ends weighed in at the Scouting Combine Thursday, and Southern Cal offensive tackle Tyron Smith “dominated” the Underwear Olympics with a freakish build.

A projected top-20 pick, Smith’s arms are 36 3/8 inches, giving him one of the longest reaches among players measured at the Combine over the last decade. Smith has catcher mitts for hands at 11 inches, and he packs 307 pounds onto a 6-foot-5 frame.

tp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011 ... -in-notes/
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#102 » by Icness » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Am I the only one that is concerned with Miller's body type?

Am I the only one that is concerned that Miller seemed to do most of his work dominating slow footed Big 12 tackles?

He'a heavier than Clay Matthews was at the Combine, but his legs are definitely skinnier than Clay's. The Big 12 OL is indeed an issue, but that's partly why his injury was so beneficial. He learned to do everything else aside from rushing the passer and did it exceptionally well, plus he learned some counter moves besides just speeding around the edge. He got several sacks crashing inside and crossing the tackle's face. It's a concern but not as bad as it is for Aldon Smith or Jeremy Beal
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#103 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Icness wrote:
Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Am I the only one that is concerned with Miller's body type?

Am I the only one that is concerned that Miller seemed to do most of his work dominating slow footed Big 12 tackles?

He'a heavier than Clay Matthews was at the Combine, but his legs are definitely skinnier than Clay's. The Big 12 OL is indeed an issue, but that's partly why his injury was so beneficial. He learned to do everything else aside from rushing the passer and did it exceptionally well, plus he learned some counter moves besides just speeding around the edge. He got several sacks crashing inside and crossing the tackle's face. It's a concern but not as bad as it is for Aldon Smith or Jeremy Beal

I guess I'm just still a little bit scared of what the Steelers were doing in the Super Bowl by pulling the guards. Clay's lower body is huge compared to Miller and Clay was barely holding his ground. I've also read somewhere like it looks like it would be hard for Miller to add more weight without losing speed but I regress.

The only counter move I've seen is his little cut back inside move, which really only works if the OT is slow to react and back peddling using bad form. Any time a Scouting report says about a pass rusher, "Useless when the O-Lineman gets his hands on him" I just don't like him.

I think that Aldon Smith is way too high as well, but at least he looks the part. Beal is a 2nd-3rd rounder so I expect him to have some flaws.

Return to NFL Draft