Random draft notes

Moderator: studcrackers

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Re: Random draft notes 

Post#21 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Alshon weighs in at 219 pounds or something like that, or was it 214? Either way he lost about 25 pounds in 2 weeks. Impressive.

He weighed in at 216, and the report was that he was at 252, right?

I'm calling BS on that report because 36 pounds in 14 days is unrealistic, unless he caught a tape warm and became bulimic.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#22 » by Icness » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 am

That weight was at least three weeks ago. He was 231 10-12 days ago and that is not unrealistic weight loss. I personally have dropped 10 in a week with better diet and more intense workouts and I wasn't at a top-flight training academy.

He's not running, nor is Blackmon. Door is open for Kendall Wright to be the first receiver picked, lots of talk about that going on now.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,859

Post#23 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 am

I will LOL at the team that takes Kendall Wright as the first receiver off the board. I see nothing in his game to think he will be a great NFL player. He seems like a 3rd round receiver to me.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#24 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:08 am

Jeffery came in much smaller than expected, including height.

Speaking of measuring short - Ohio State listed Brewster at 6-5, he measured at 6-2. Jesus.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,497

Post#25 » by Karmaloop » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Icness wrote:He's not running, nor is Blackmon. Door is open for Kendall Wright to be the first receiver picked, lots of talk about that going on now.

That's not going to happen unless Blackmon absolutely lays an egg. Blackmon likely won't fall any further than four, six as the absolute floor IMO.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,497

Post#26 » by Karmaloop » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Speaking of measuring short - Ohio State listed Brewster at 6-5, he measured at 6-2. Jesus.

He might be the biggest loser of this entire draft process. He looked absolutely overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl, short arms, and poor explosion.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#27 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:18 am

Karmaloop wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Speaking of measuring short - Ohio State listed Brewster at 6-5, he measured at 6-2. Jesus.

He might be the biggest loser of this entire draft process. He looked absolutely overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl, short arms, and poor explosion.

He was outstanding last year. This year he's not the same guy.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#28 » by Jaruff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:38 am

Karmaloop wrote:
Icness wrote:He's not running, nor is Blackmon. Door is open for Kendall Wright to be the first receiver picked, lots of talk about that going on now.

That's not going to happen unless Blackmon absolutely lays an egg. Blackmon likely won't fall any further than four, six as the absolute floor IMO.

I wouldn't say that. Alshon had been a top 10 or shortly after most of the season and he may not even be drafted in the first round.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#29 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Icness wrote:
TheOUTLAW wrote:Jeff, you are a big OSU fan (as am I), what do you think about Posey? I keep seeing him going in the 5th round or so and I think he's a huge steal if he's still around at that point.

Posey is a 4th/5th rounder. Biggest issues are that he's not real big or real fast or real quick, pretty average across the board in measurables. And he missed almost all of 2011. Nobody holds Tattoogate against him (or Herron or Adams) but the fact he missed all that time hurts him. There is a rep about him that he doesn't play hard all the time and while I don't buy it I can see on film what people are talking about.

I know this about Posey--he's as good as any receiver in this draft when the ball is in the air. He's very tough. And he is used to catching bad throws from erratic, scrambling-type QBs. Perfect as a #3 receiver for Tebow in Denver.

Does Posey's 4.37 40 time change you mind at all as far as where he's going to go?

I don't think he's a D'bag at all. He just got caught up in the tattoo nonsense. He'll fall from where his talent should put him, but how far will that be?
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#30 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Michael Floyd is the best receiver in the draft.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#31 » by ohara » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Michael Floyd is the best receiver in the draft.

I would not take him over Blackmon. But he might very well have risen to #2 on the list with an excellent 40 time. Wright will likely be #3 WR now. I know my Panthers would like a WR, but I think #9 might be a bit high to take Floyd. Unless he really impresses the coaches in his 1 on 1 vists or his Pro Day.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#32 » by Icness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Floyd passed Wright on my list to #2 WR and the gap isn't very big. Very different types of receivers so some teams might prefer Floyd to Blackmon.

Wright's lack of speed was shocking to me because he never had any trouble getting behind the defense in games. In the Mizzou game I was at he was consistently torching the corner that was giving him a 10-yard cushion.

Posey probably picked himself up a round. Like Outlaw said, he's not a bad guy but just got caught doing what hundreds of other college kids would do. The biggest issue is that he lost a year of experience and he needs it.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Random draft notes 

Post#33 » by Da Schwab » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:41 pm

After watching a few replays of coverage, I can't help but think how on earth does Kellen Moore expect to get drafted? His numbers in every single drill were at the bottom of the list.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#34 » by Icness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Da Schwab wrote:After watching a few replays of coverage, I can't help but think how on earth does Kellen Moore expect to get drafted? His numbers in every single drill were at the bottom of the list.

I'm with you. He's not athletic, his arm is substandard, he's short, he's not overly accurate. I have him with an undraftable grade, have since seeing him at the Senior Bowl where he wasn't as good as Nate Brown was a couple years ago.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#35 » by studcrackers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:41 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Michael Floyd is the best receiver in the draft.

lol
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#36 » by Icness » Fri Mar 2, 2012 4:02 pm

5 new random thoughts:

1. If Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder were top 12 picks last year then there is absolutely zero chance Ryan Tannehill does not go in the top 12 this year. He's better than all of them right now and is only going to get better.

2. The #5 WR on my board is Mohamed Sanu. The #15 receiver on my board is Devon Wylie. Any and every spot in between is basically interchangeable and would vary from team to team based on what they've got and what they need.

3. I have draftable grades on just 10 QBs: Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Cousins, Osweiler, Coleman, Harnish, and Kinne. I did not forget about Nick Foles or Kellen Moore.

4. Two guys I really wanted to like more than I wound up liking after watching more of them: Baylor C Philip Blake and West Virginia DE Bruce Irvin. Blake is tighter and less assertive than I want, while Irvin is almost freakishly allergic to contact; he either flies around the edge or he's running away from the blocks. There's a reason WVU often kept him welded to the bench in their base defense.

5. Two MAC school guys you're going to hear more about as we go forward: Miami OH G Brandon Brooks and Western Michigan WR Jordan White. Brooks is legit and could go as high as the 3rd round and will be a solid run blocker right away. Beware on White--he's overaged because he missed two full seasons with injuries (torn both ACLs, the left one twice) and he's not particularly quick or fast.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#37 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Mar 2, 2012 10:08 pm

How does Arizona WR and Nick Foles' favorite target Juron Criner fit in? He had a much better JR year than SR year and his combine wasn't the most impressive, but I always felt he was a good physical receiver and a disciplined, if not perfect, route runner.

Also, Ic, would you mind telling us about players who are good interviews and players who are awful interviews? You can call the divisions Robert Griffin III and Vontaze Burfict :)
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#38 » by Da Schwab » Fri Mar 2, 2012 10:45 pm

When will your next mock come out, Ic?
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#39 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Fri Mar 2, 2012 11:54 pm

Icness wrote:5 new random thoughts:

1. If Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder were top 12 picks last year then there is absolutely zero chance Ryan Tannehill does not go in the top 12 this year. He's better than all of them right now and is only going to get better.

2. The #5 WR on my board is Mohamed Sanu. The #15 receiver on my board is Devon Wylie. Any and every spot in between is basically interchangeable and would vary from team to team based on what they've got and what they need.

3. I have draftable grades on just 10 QBs: Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Cousins, Osweiler, Coleman, Harnish, and Kinne. I did not forget about Nick Foles or Kellen Moore.

4. Two guys I really wanted to like more than I wound up liking after watching more of them: Baylor C Philip Blake and West Virginia DE Bruce Irvin. Blake is tighter and less assertive than I want, while Irvin is almost freakishly allergic to contact; he either flies around the edge or he's running away from the blocks. There's a reason WVU often kept him welded to the bench in their base defense.

5. Two MAC school guys you're going to hear more about as we go forward: Miami OH G Brandon Brooks and Western Michigan WR Jordan White. Brooks is legit and could go as high as the 3rd round and will be a solid run blocker right away. Beware on White--he's overaged because he missed two full seasons with injuries (torn both ACLs, the left one twice) and he's not particularly quick or fast.

I have a hard time taking the WVU's coaching decisions seriously when they were lining Irvin head up on Tackles. He's an obvious Wide-9/edge rusher. He's allergic to run defense, but so is Jason Babin and Babin's found himself a spot in the league.

White seems like a guy who's getting overrated based on his stats. The guy doesn't have any freakish traits and nobody's been watching Western Michigan games.

I'd say that Tannehill has more potential, but he also makes some really bad decisions. Granted, Gabbert and Ponder aren't exactly setting the world on fire. I like Locker in the limited snaps he's seen.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#40 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sat Mar 3, 2012 1:34 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0tYTzHU9w[/youtube]

My Anatomy teacher just sent me this video diagramming Peyton Manning's surgery.

What it doesn't show is the muscles getting cut so that the surgeon get to the spine. Those muscles need to get healed and strengthen before he can get back to playing at an NFL level. IIRC, that's where Peyton is now.

Return to NFL Draft