Moderator: studcrackers

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Re: 2011 Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 am

Hey Icness, I was reading your latest mock and had a question

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... r_edition/

5. Cameron Heyward, DT, Ohio State. Spotlight: Ideally suited to play 3-4 RDE. Very similar style to Richard Seymour, a rock against the run that can collapse the pocket.

What's the difference between RDE and LDE in the 3-4 scheme ?

thanks
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#42 » by Icness » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:Hey Icness, I was reading your latest mock and had a question

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... r_edition/

5. Cameron Heyward, DT, Ohio State. Spotlight: Ideally suited to play 3-4 RDE. Very similar style to Richard Seymour, a rock against the run that can collapse the pocket.

What's the difference between RDE and LDE in the 3-4 scheme ?

thanks

Good question!
Most teams want their better pass rushing DE on the right side and their better run defender on the left side in a 3-4. That's true of a 4-3 too, probably moreso. Left ends are usually more hold-the-line guys, right siders are more apt to penetrate and to run plays with the OLB behind them, stuff like inside-out rushes, stunts, zone blitzes, etc.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#43 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:03 am

To expand on that even more, you want the primary passrusher coming at the blindside of the QB, so he has almost no chance to evade the rush, and you have a much better chance of forcing a fumble.

Edit: Icness, you are really high on Luck I see. I was really high on him last year, and still think he's a top QB prospect. I think he leaves a bit to be desired on his deep throws, but I'd have him higher than most all of the QBs to come out since the Eli Manning draft.

I think after I finish grading him, he'd be higher than everyone to come out except Carson Palmer, Vince Young, Matt Leinart(yea yea, i was high on those two), and Matt Stafford(who im extremely high on as well).

I dunno what to do with Jake Locker. The good Jake Locker is great, and the bad one is.... bad.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#44 » by Icness » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

One long-time scout told me Jake Locker reminds him of Vinny Testaverde, in that he's always going to be able to Wow you with the physical package but the mental part of the game just isn't there...and never will be. I don't know Locker personally but I have a hard time believing he's as dense as Vinny, who had to go to prep school for a year after HS because he couldn't pass any classes. But in terms of what he's saying about the inability to digest a great degree of information and to dramatically improve, I see his point. Vinny was often a pretty darn good QB but he always had those clunker games and asinine INTs. FWIW Vinny is still a freakish athlete and could probably still play if he really wanted to and he's gotta be at least 45.

Locker's accuracy is what really troubles me. He's a lot like Tebow in that he gets the ball there quickly, but he makes his receivers work for the catch. It's always a step behind or a little low or just missing where it really should be. Andrew Luck is vastly superior in that regard. So are Kaepernick and Mallett, though Mallett is good for 1-2 drives a game where he couldn't hit a barn from 15 yards. That sort of accuracy is the #1 trait offensive coaches want, not arm strength or athleticism. The ability to put the ball precisely where it needs to be when it needs to get there is what NFL offenses are largely based upon. Sam Bradford has that, Josh Freeman has that, Stafford has shown it more oft than not, the Sanchize is improving at that. Look at the prominent QBs that have washed out and the most common problem is pinpoint accuracy. Leinart is an unfortunate exception, but it's why Chad Pennington played so long despite having a weak arm and why Peyton Manning is the best.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,890

Post#45 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Lets say the Panthers finish with the worst record in the league and have a new coach in place next year, which I think is very possible.

If Claussen continues to look horrible, don't they have to take Luck?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#46 » by Icness » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Lets say the Panthers finish with the worst record in the league and have a new coach in place next year, which I think is very possible.

Funny you should ask because I'm working on the next mock draft and I am stumped on CAR 8-)

It depends on who takes over for Marty Hurney (the GM) and John Fox, neither of whom will be (nor want to be) back next year. If it's a QB-centric coach like Brian Billick or Jon Gruden I think they'll seriously consider it. I have a hard time seeing Mr. Richardson (the owner) paying any "name" coach so those are probably poor examples, but you get the point. Marty Morhinweg and Russ Grimm are offensive-minded OCs that are going to get interviews for jobs and they'd have to think about it.

I think a more defensive-oriented coach, say Leslie Frazier or Chuck Cecil, would give Jimmy another year and try to build a great defense. They really aren't far away defensively; they need one great DT and probably another CB and depth all over and that's a real strong D.

It also matters that they drafted Tony Pike too. IMO he's not an NFL QB but he's got the arm that intrigues. So in a roundabout way I guess I'm saying it's not very likely but not OOTQ either.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#47 » by studcrackers » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:42 pm

jeff, where do you rank blackmon in this class of wideouts? he made prince look bad in the 1st half. imo he's gone more under the radar than any player this year.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#48 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Lets say the Panthers finish with the worst record in the league and have a new coach in place next year, which I think is very possible.

Unless they are 100% sold that Clausen will be totally elite, I don't see how you pass on a prospect you feel is elite, and this is coming from a guy that likes Clausen.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#49 » by Icness » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:43 pm

studcrackers wrote:jeff, where do you rank blackmon in this class of wideouts? he made prince look bad in the 1st half. imo he's gone more under the radar than any player this year.

I like what I've seen. He gets separation so easily and naturally. Isn't he only a true sophomore and therefore not eligible this year? I don't know his background at all.
Killa K
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#50 » by Killa K » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 pm

^^^ I believe he is a redshirt sophomore, which would make him eligible for the '11 draft. But I dont think he should enter. He has the Dez Bryant/Mike Crabtree-esque skill set which suits well for the NFL.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#51 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm almost positive hes a RS Soph.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#52 » by Icness » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Y'all are correct he is a RS SO. I talked to a regional scout last night about him and he told me Blackmon will wait a year before coming out, nobody thinks he will come out. He raved about him in terms of intangibles like practice habits, enthusiasm, looking the ball into his hands every time, asking questions to help him improve, demanding excellence and effort from teammates. I guess I need to pay more attention to the "other" OSU...
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#53 » by Icness » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:14 pm

...and now Blackmon gets busted for DUI last night in Dallas, going over 90 in a 60 zone and blowing near .20. DUI is A LOT worse than pot or arrest for fighting in the eyes of NFL teams.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#54 » by Wade-A-Holic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Icness wrote:...and now Blackmon gets busted for DUI last night in Dallas, going over 90 in a 60 zone and blowing near .20. DUI is A LOT worse than pot or arrest for fighting in the eyes of NFL teams.

What a friggin idiot. He was going to be Dez Bryant without the baggage. So much for that.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#55 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Icness wrote:...and now Blackmon gets busted for DUI last night in Dallas, going over 90 in a 60 zone and blowing near .20. DUI is A LOT worse than pot or arrest for fighting in the eyes of NFL teams.

Especially when your wasted and speeding your ass off. Its not like he blew a .10 going 5 over. He could have easily killed himself or someone else flying like that.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#56 » by TSE » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:

What a friggin idiot. He was going to be Dez Bryant without the baggage. So much for that.

Well Dez Bryant with the baggage is looking pretty darn good.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#57 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

dez bryant didnt even have baggage, it was just a bullsh*t supsension, guys never been in trouble, all of it was media speculation
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#58 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Nov 2, 2010 3:20 am

studcrackers wrote:dez bryant didnt even have baggage, it was just a bullsh*t supsension, guys never been in trouble, all of it was media speculation

Every single time he opened his mouth to defend himself he came off as a complete idiot. The way he talks makes me wonder if hes literate. I would be shocked if he can read at a 12th grade level.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,849

Post#59 » by TyCobb » Tue Nov 2, 2010 4:50 am

As long as he can read his bank account, I don't think it matters.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,849

Post#60 » by TyCobb » Tue Nov 2, 2010 4:53 am

Icness, with Locker's recent injury and poor play, do you think he skips the NFL and plays for the Angels? I have a hunch this will be his last year on the football field.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to NFL Draft