2011 Draft Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

2011 Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Icness » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Thought I'd throw one up here for any questions or comments about the next draft.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: 2011 Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by D J C » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 pm

I'll go ahead and throw a few out there

Of course everyone wants to know about the QBs. Who do you like; Locker, Mallett or Luck?

How would you rank the top 4 receivers (Floyd, Green, Julio, Baldwin)?

And finally, any sleepers to look out for?
ZedgetRedd
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#3 » by ZedgetRedd » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:22 pm

How is OL depth?
Quote of the day: "I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another 5 years of life" - James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=2886

Bucks and Pats
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#4 » by Icness » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 am

QBs I like Mallett, Luck, and Locker in that order. Mallett >> Joe Flacco. Luck probably has the highest upside, I see some Tom Brady in him. Locker keeps getting all this hype but a lot of it is just that--hype. I need to see how he progresses this year. He could be Matt Schaub, he could be Alex Smith, he could be Bruce Gradkowski. I think Christian Ponder has a shot to go high too.

GREAT upcoming WR class IMO. I think we could see as many as 5 first rounders after almost none the past 2-3 years. Green is my personal favorite but Jones can catch him if he stays healthy. The thing to watch is that the trend is towards agility, not necessarily speed. A lot of the taller guys don't have the quick feet or lateral shiftiness that is becoming more in vogue, so watch those guys for those attributes. Ryan Broyles and Dyrell Roberts are smaller guys to watch.

OL class is tough to call because so many have come out. Carimi is a lead-pipe top 10 lock, beyond that everyone has as many questions as positives. Pouncey will go high, Pinkston (Pitt) will go high, the PSU center is a Ryan Kalil clone so he'll go high. I'm not a Nate Solder guy but he'd be in the first right now. No underclassmen have really caught my attention but then again I haven't looked for it either.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lpsevier » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 pm

What do you think about Floyd if he declares from ND? I bet he will given Kelly's offensive scheme change.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#6 » by Icness » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:03 am

lpsevier wrote:What do you think about Floyd if he declares from ND? I bet he will given Kelly's offensive scheme change.

Depends on how the QB play helps him. He's not an elite prospect IMO but more like a solid NFL #2. Guys with his size tend to get overdrafted.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

The OTs really don't stick out to me too much. Carimi and Barksdale are nice, but not worth a 8 pick like some are projecting. Are there any in the later rounds (2-4) who look to be decent?
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,890

Post#8 » by Roger Murdock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Who are the best defensive playmakers in this draft?

I know Cameron Heyward is supposed to be a freak. Hows he stack up to G. McCoy as a prospect?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,216
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:42 am

I disagree on Floyd not being a number 1 type. His body control and ability to go up and get the ball downfield is outstanding. He's not a blazer, but he does all of the right things downfield to get the ball.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,890

Post#10 » by Roger Murdock » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 pm

How do you think the potential lockout will effect underclassmen declaring?
Killa K
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Killa K » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Whats your take on another QB Terrelle Pryor?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#12 » by Icness » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:39 am

Roger Murdock wrote:How do you think the potential lockout will effect underclassmen declaring?

Too early to say yet. If it looks like there will indeed be a lockout then most guys will stay in school. If it continues to progress then I think it will be a fairly normal flow. The move by the Saints players to decertify is intriguing; if the other players do that, that is a real big chip to play by the players. It's either going to force a quick resolution or make one impossible in time to save 2011.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#13 » by Icness » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:48 am

Killa K wrote:Whats your take on another QB Terrelle Pryor?

Watched him very intently today. He reminds me of Randall Cunningham with his length and speed and arm strength, but Cunningham was a lot more accurate and more apt to stick with his reads. Pryor has really improved his throwing technique but he still needs an awful big radius to wind up and release with proper footwork--not uncommon for taller QBs, but it's moreso with Pryor because when he doesn't get his feet set his throws aren't anywhere close to where they need to be. His short-range accuracy and touch is not NFL caliber and I kinda doubt it ever will be. I love his scrambling and I would rate his ability as a runner better than Michael Vick at the same point. But his overall passing just doesn't look NFL quality--he doesn't have much of the little intricacies that make good NFL QBs. He doesn't hold the safety with his eyes, he doesn't feel the rush real well, he doesn't progress through his reads or checkdown very effectively, he just runs. That works a whole lot better in college than the NFL.

FYI my scouting report in this week's $.10 will be Cameron Heyward, who IMO is a surefire top 10 pick.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,849

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Denard Robinson? Thoughts? I'm of the opinion they should move him to running back next season. There's no way he will be an NFL QB, with his height and the comparisons to Pat White are already coming out. Mind you, Pat White is out of the NFL and just signed with the Royals. If you put him at running back, it maximizes his abilities.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#15 » by Icness » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Denard Robinson? Thoughts? I'm of the opinion they should move him to running back next season. There's no way he will be an NFL QB, with his height and the comparisons to Pat White are already coming out. Mind you, Pat White is out of the NFL and just signed with the Royals. If you put him at running back, it maximizes his abilities.

I think he's going to be Josh Cribbs in the NFL. Plays QB almost exactly like Cribbs did. Cribbs is both bigger and tougher though. I agree there's no way he's an NFL QB. Very good college player though.
ZedgetRedd
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#16 » by ZedgetRedd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 pm

AJ Green or Julio Jones?
Quote of the day: "I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another 5 years of life" - James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=2886

Bucks and Pats
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#17 » by Icness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 pm

ZedgetRedd wrote:AJ Green or Julio Jones?

I prefer Jones but he's got a fairly alarming propensity for getting hurt. He's quite a bit thicker and stronger than Green but I would guesstimate they are the same speed. Green might be a little quicker off the line and a better leaper. Jones reminds me of Hakeem Nicks or Miles Austin, Green is more like Cotchery or Ochocinco. Both are likely 1st rounders and both are going to be good NFL players. The suspension might hurt Green's value, and you'd better believe there is more to it than just selling a jersey.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#18 » by TSE » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

How about a lengthy list of the best KR/PR prospects?

Which guys make for the best ballhawking FSs or CBs that will be able to get lots of picks in the NFL?

Any especially talented fumble creators?

Traditional blocking FBs?

Who are the fastest and strongest players?

Any coaches that you predict we will see in the NFL soon?
Killa K
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Killa K » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 am

TSE wrote:
Any coaches that you predict we will see in the NFL soon?

I was thinking about this earlier today, and I think that Jim Harbaugh could be moving up in a couple years.

Hey Icness whats your take on ex-Florida, current Auburn QB Cameron Newton?
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#20 » by ohara » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 am

Mr. Risdon: How after praising Andrew Luck as the best college QB this season after his dismantling of my Irish, did you leave him out of the Top 5 in your Heisman running to date? I'd have thought you would have have at least #2, right after Robinson. Just an oversight?

Return to NFL Draft