The "What I Would Do" Mock

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

The "What I Would Do" Mock 

Post#1 » by Icness » Mon Apr 2, 2012 12:29 am

http://football.realgm.com/src_feature/ ... ock_draft/

This is in no way a prediction to what teams will actually do. I cannot stress that enough.

I'm not exactly a BPA guy but I don't stray far in most cases. In general I have a top 3 needs list for each team and I usually go with the BPA from that grouping unless there's a clearly better talent (IMO) available at a spot who I think can make a better impact on the team.

I've had a bit of a philosophical change; I'm less averse to taking a shot at a higher risk/higher reward talent in the 1st round than I used to be. The lower rookie contracts help, as does my growing perception that impact players at impact positions are more important than just very good players who might be safer picks. It's a hard balance for me because I'm generally much better at figuring out who is going to be unexpectedly awful than I am who is going to be unexpectedly great. We all have our plusses and minuses 8-)

The top 10
Round 1
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford. RG3 might have a higher ceiling, but I'm more confident that Luck will hit his lofty ceiling. He is as can't miss as any player I've ever seen and the type of guy you dream about building a franchise around.

2. Washington Redskins (from STL): Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor. I believe that the Skins need a franchise identity more than anything. RG3 can be that identity. This transcends whatever he might do on the field, and what he does on the field has the chance to be very special in its own right.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU. I'm a firm advocate of building to win your own division. The NFC North features Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall, and right now the only viable CB on the Vikings is 34-year-old Antoine Winfield. Claiborne brings potential lockdown corner ability. His wrist surgery does not concern me.

4. Cleveland Browns: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina. The concept of pairing Ingram with last year's excellent rookie Jabaal Sheard gives the Browns young bookend pass rushers that can really create headaches for opposing offenses. This move would give them a better chance to compete right now, as Tannehill isn't yet ready at QB and I'm not sold enough on any of the wideouts here. The extra first round pick gives lots of leverage to take the best impact talent here, and Ingram is that player for this defense.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama. I'll admit to having several names listed here before "settling" on Richardson. In the end I went with the player who I think best gives their division opponents problems. I've never been a believer in Legarrette Blount either. As I've said for months now, Richardson reminds me of a young Eddie George, only faster. That kind of threat in the backfield gives the Tampa offense balance and eases the pressure off Josh Freeman to try and win games on his own, which did not work too well a year ago.

6. St. Louis Rams (from WAS): Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame. Floyd is the top WR on my draft board and the Rams need to surround Sam Bradford will all the talent they can. I prefer Floyd's size and downfield prowess to Justin Blackmon in this offense, though it's not an easy choice. I would take Ingram or Claiborne if they were still available.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. The physical Blackmon is a nice fit with Blaine Gabbert, a QB that likes to (and needs to) get the ball out quickly on shorter routes. Blackmon is the kind of receiver that can turn a simple slant into a big play. He's also got a manic wildness to him that can provide this staid offense with some needed energy and panache. Selling more tickets has to factor into the draft equation or else this will be the LA Jaguars before 2015.

8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. Patience is rewarded and the Dolphins get the franchise QB they so desperately covet. Honestly if Tannehill is still on the board there really isn't an option but to take him, or else the owner is going to fire the GM. Since I'm playing GM, this one is about self-preservation as much as making my team better. I actually prefer Tannehill to Sam Bradford--just not in 2012--and Matt Moore makes a solid bridge.

9. Carolina Panthers: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis. He's wrongly miscast by many as a nose tackle, but Poe is a 4-3 3-technique with awesome size. He needs some development but Carolina has the coaching staff to make that happen. Poe can turn the biggest weakness--interior defense--into an asset. This was one of the easier picks of the round for me.

10. Buffalo Bills: Matt Kalil, T, USC. I'm more bearish on Kalil than most, but he is the best tackle in this draft and represents strong value here. It says a lot that no teams have rushed to sign free agent Demetrius Bell, the erstwhile starting LT in Buffalo. Kalil is smart and ready to start right away. GM Buddy Nix has publicly declared a desire to get better at tackle, and I agree. I was hoping Tannehill would fall here as a developmental/insurance policy.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Re: The "What I Would Do" Mock 

Post#2 » by CJ_18 » Mon Apr 2, 2012 1:58 am

Wow
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#3 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Apr 2, 2012 4:00 am

Admittedly I didn't focus on Barron so much when watching Alabama, but does he still do that thing where he forgets he's playing deep zone and allows people to run right by him? That happened several times against Auburn last year and it was physically painful to watch. He lost them that game.
asdf1223
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by asdf1223 » Mon Apr 2, 2012 5:16 am

I like your thinking on the Seahawks pick but I just don't think Upshaw's fast enough to play the Elephant role in a 4-3. Like him much better as a SOLB in a 3-4.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#5 » by Icness » Mon Apr 2, 2012 10:18 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Admittedly I didn't focus on Barron so much when watching Alabama, but does he still do that thing where he forgets he's playing deep zone and allows people to run right by him? That happened several times against Auburn last year and it was physically painful to watch. He lost them that game.

Yes he does. It's weird how many safeties do that though. Brian Dawkins has made a very long and decorated career despite doing that, Louis Delmas and Reggie Nelson do it too much for my liking too. Then there's Polamalu playing his own 1-man defense... :roll:
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#6 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Apr 2, 2012 11:42 pm

Icness wrote:
Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Admittedly I didn't focus on Barron so much when watching Alabama, but does he still do that thing where he forgets he's playing deep zone and allows people to run right by him? That happened several times against Auburn last year and it was physically painful to watch. He lost them that game.

Yes he does. It's weird how many safeties do that though. Brian Dawkins has made a very long and decorated career despite doing that, Louis Delmas and Reggie Nelson do it too much for my liking too. Then there's Polamalu playing his own 1-man defense... :roll:

Does that pick change if Collins comes back healthy??
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#7 » by Icness » Tue Apr 3, 2012 12:33 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
Icness wrote:

Does that pick change if Collins comes back healthy??

I'm more confident that Peyton Manning will be able to resume his old self than Nick Collins. Hitters/tacklers with neck issues is a terrible gamble. Look at how much worse Ed Reed is after coming back; other than picking off passes he's not close to the player he once was. Same with OL and back injuries, they never get back to being their old selves. So no, it would not change. Anything Collins gives is gravy.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Tue Apr 3, 2012 1:33 am

value wise, isnt tannehill too high @ 8

are you concerned with richardson's knee surgery?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#9 » by hermes » Tue Apr 3, 2012 2:30 am

wow kalil fell a lot more than i thought he would (for being considered the third best player in the draft)

along those lines, where does claiborne rank in the best players in the draft list
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,844

Post#10 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Apr 3, 2012 4:33 am

I think Ingram is a much better fit as a 3-4 OLB. He has really small arms.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#11 » by SpeedyG » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:53 am

hermes wrote:wow kalil fell a lot more than i thought he would (for being considered the third best player in the draft)

along those lines, where does claiborne rank in the best players in the draft list

How about Nick Perry? Third round? Talk about DROP. :lol:

Anyway, love Blackmon being available at 7 for the Jags. Only change I'd make maybe is take Mercilus in round 2 (instead of Mike Adams, since I think the Jags are confident that Britton will make full recovery and get his starting RT gig back). Round 3 I might take a shot at Childs, though Curry is fine there also.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#12 » by Icness » Tue Apr 3, 2012 1:36 pm

Pharmcat wrote:value wise, isnt tannehill too high @ 8

Tannehill is the #7 player on my overall board so 8th is just right. He throws the intermeidate and deep balls outside the numbers better than anyone in this draft, Luck included.

The way I look at Richardson is that Adrian Peterson had major injury issues coming out of Oklahoma and even though he got hurt last year he's been more than worth it. Richardson is just as talented as AD so I'm not real concerned.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,606

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 3, 2012 1:47 pm

Icness wrote: Richardson is just as talented as AD so I'm not real concerned.

Woah, woah, woah....I got to disagree with that. I think there's a pretty big gap.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#14 » by SpeedyG » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:56 pm

Icness wrote:

Tannehill is the #7 player on my overall board so 8th is just right. He throws the intermeidate and deep balls outside the numbers better than anyone in this draft, Luck included.

I remember a lot of your write-ups on Tannehill last year, and the player you often compared him to was Gabbert. Granted, Gabbert had some things that went against him last year as far as no off-season, coaching issues, and WR issues, but would teams drafting Tannehill in the top 10 make a mistake by expecting him to start and be successful right off the bat, much like with Gabbert?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#15 » by Icness » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:57 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Icness wrote: Richardson is just as talented as AD so I'm not real concerned.

Woah, woah, woah....I got to disagree with that. I think there's a pretty big gap.

That's the fun of this time of year. We'll find out. I'll still be here, so will you :beer:

I think AD has a better natural vision and better top end speed in the open field. I like Richardson better to grind out a 3rd and 2 against a stacked box. I also like Richardson better as a receiver, and by that I mean actually playing receiver motioning out. I'll stick to my "young Eddie George with slightly better speed" eval on Richardson. Peterson is smoother a la Marcus Allen or, for you USFL fans, Tim Spencer.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,606

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 3, 2012 4:05 pm

Richardson has a ton of talent and could end up with a great career, but I think it's AD's elite exposiveness that separates them. He doesn't just have better top end speed, he has better acceleration. Peterson is probably the most physically gifted running back since Barry Sanders.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#17 » by CJ_18 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:50 pm

Icness wrote:

T Richardson is just as talented as AD so I'm not real concerned.

Wow.

IMO AP as a runner is once in a decade talent, and Richardson to me is just a REALLY solid RB. Nothing about him is AMAZING, other than his strength but that doesn't translate to being a great runner. Nothing near as electric about him as Peterson.

Admittedley i am saddened by the near extinction of 3 down, every down, stand out, franchise player running back. AP was the last prospect to be that, and now Richardson and really not many others within that time frame.

Return to NFL Draft