2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#721 » by Twolf16 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:17 pm

Jeff what's your take on Davante Parker and Duke Johnson?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#722 » by Icness » Fri Jan 2, 2015 4:04 pm

Parker is impressive, love his aggression with the ball in the air. Has a pretty stride and swagger to him. He can get a little Mike Wallace-like in that when he's not getting fed or the team is struggling he's the first guy to check out or yap. Think he's going in the 20-40 overall range, could slide from that if medicals aren't great.

Duke Johnson is in the 2nd tier of RBs to me, behind Gordon and Gurley and Coleman (not in order yet). Love his burst and vision in traffic. Sets up his blocks real well and reacts quickly on the fly compared to guys like Abdullah or even Gurley. My biggest concern is that he's too fast for his own feet sometimes, if that makes sense. I think he goes in the cluster of RBs that are drafted in the 50-75 overall range. My rough comparison is Andre Ellington but faster in open field. Wouldn't mind him in DET to replace Reggie Bush one bit. He's look great in San Diego too.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#723 » by Icness » Fri Jan 2, 2015 4:20 pm

TyCobb wrote:
TyCobb wrote:Indiana RB Tevin Coleman... really impressive as well.

Still killin' it.

Deepest running back class in years.

Man it really is. I'm gonna have so many guys rated in top 3 rounds. Last year I had one, Carlos Hyde.

Right now I rank them this way with where I roughly have them rated overall:
Melvin Gordon, 15-20
Tevin Coleman, 25-30
Todd Gurley, 25-30 but medical flag
Ameer Abdullah, 45-50 overall
Duke Johnson, 45-55 overall
David Cobb, 70-75 overall
Jeremy Langford, 80-100
Jay Ajayi, 80-100
T.J. Yeldon, 80-100
Javorious Allen, 90-100

Even some good "sleepers" like David Johnson, Zack Zenner, Raheem Mostert, Alonzo Harris. Great year to need a RB, and just about every team does. Some need multiple and I can see quite a few UDFAs making rosters.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#724 » by hermes » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:54 pm

icness,

i know brandon scherff is making his way up the board but where do you see carl davis and louis trinca-pasat?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#725 » by Icness » Sat Jan 3, 2015 1:18 am

Davis is a tough call as far as slot. He's all around solid, no real glaring holes but also nothing that stands out as great. I think he's a quality 3rd DT in the NFL. That's generally a 3rd or 4th rounder but i can see him going in the 2nd if he tests well.

Trinca Pasat is more of a gap shooter and he's undersized. Maybe better at 3-4 DE or as a strongside DE in a 4-3 like Jason Jones or Billy Winn when CLE goes even up front. I wrote a blurb about him on the draft piece that's up on the football page
hermes
RealGM

Re: 

Post#726 » by hermes » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:07 pm

Icness wrote:Davis is a tough call as far as slot. He's all around solid, no real glaring holes but also nothing that stands out as great. I think he's a quality 3rd DT in the NFL. That's generally a 3rd or 4th rounder but i can see him going in the 2nd if he tests well.

Trinca Pasat is more of a gap shooter and he's undersized. Maybe better at 3-4 DE or as a strongside DE in a 4-3 like Jason Jones or Billy Winn when CLE goes even up front. I wrote a blurb about him on the draft piece that's up on the football page

found it, thanks jeff

in it you said that davis was the hawkeyes best player, did you mean on defense or do you think he's better than scherff too?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Re: Re: 

Post#727 » by Icness » Mon Jan 5, 2015 2:38 pm

hermes wrote:
Icness wrote:Davis is a tough call as far as slot. He's all around solid, no real glaring holes but also nothing that stands out as great. I think he's a quality 3rd DT in the NFL. That's generally a 3rd or 4th rounder but i can see him going in the 2nd if he tests well.

found it, thanks jeff

in it you said that davis was the hawkeyes best player, did you mean on defense or do you think he's better than scherff too?

D'oh! Just on defense. I'm not Scherff's biggest fan but he's a viable 1st round talent.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#728 » by Twolf16 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 7:05 pm

Icness wrote:Parker is impressive, love his aggression with the ball in the air. Has a pretty stride and swagger to him. He can get a little Mike Wallace-like in that when he's not getting fed or the team is struggling he's the first guy to check out or yap. Think he's going in the 20-40 overall range, could slide from that if medicals aren't great.

Duke Johnson is in the 2nd tier of RBs to me, behind Gordon and Gurley and Coleman (not in order yet). Love his burst and vision in traffic. Sets up his blocks real well and reacts quickly on the fly compared to guys like Abdullah or even Gurley. My biggest concern is that he's too fast for his own feet sometimes, if that makes sense. I think he goes in the cluster of RBs that are drafted in the 50-75 overall range. My rough comparison is Andre Ellington but faster in open field. Wouldn't mind him in DET to replace Reggie Bush one bit. He's look great in San Diego too.

Thanks! Heard anything about the Vikings yet?
Any chance they might land Shaq Thompson, or is he a top 10 for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#729 » by El Turco » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:45 pm

what say you about cardale jones? he says he is not ready for nfl but it doesnt make sense for him to comeback, as barrett is the starter as long as he is healthy and if he transfers jones will be 24 by the time his next chance for nfl comes up, bit risky for somebody with a kid and not really into getting a degree. you think any team would take a late round flyer on him this year? seems to have the right physical attributes but bit mistake prone
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#730 » by Icness » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:43 pm

El Turco wrote:what say you about cardale jones? he says he is not ready for nfl but it doesnt make sense for him to comeback, as barrett is the starter as long as he is healthy and if he transfers jones will be 24 by the time his next chance for nfl comes up, bit risky for somebody with a kid and not really into getting a degree. you think any team would take a late round flyer on him this year? seems to have the right physical attributes but bit mistake prone

Been asked this a lot and asking it a lot to NFL guys as I'm at the Shrine Game. Not one person employed by a NFL team I've talked to has ANY interest in Cardale Jones right now. None. Lots of media guys are talking it up but it's just not reality.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#731 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't know if I buy it. Someone with those physical tools gets drafted.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#732 » by zmanishere11 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Jeff - how are you ranking the top 3 RB's in the draft? Looks like the consensus is Coleman / Gordon / Gurley, but seeing them ranked all over the place.
hermes
RealGM

Post#733 » by hermes » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't know if I buy it. Someone with those physical tools gets drafted.

maybe but i think it would be really late (like a 7th round flyer or something) he's only played 3 games

if anything, this is going to make osu practices must-watch, to see the development of the qbs who don't win the starting job

besides, now jones gets to go back and be king of the campus for a year
Icness
NFL Analyst

Re: Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#734 » by Icness » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:51 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:Jeff - how are you ranking the top 3 RB's in the draft? Looks like the consensus is Coleman / Gordon / Gurley, but seeing them ranked all over the place.

I like Coleman a lot. My #2 is Duke Johnson. Hone run hitter and receiver. Then Gordon, then Gurley. Jay Ajayi is very close. They're all clustered in the 30-60 overall range
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#735 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:43 pm

hermes wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I don't know if I buy it. Someone with those physical tools gets drafted.

maybe but i think it would be really late (like a 7th round flyer or something) he's only played 3 games

if anything, this is going to make osu practices must-watch, to see the development of the qbs who don't win the starting job

besides, now jones gets to go back and be king of the campus for a year

But those 3 games were against Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets next year.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#736 » by InfraRedshaw » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Icness wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
TyCobb wrote:Indiana RB Tevin Coleman... really impressive as well.

Still killin' it.

Deepest running back class in years.

Man it really is. I'm gonna have so many guys rated in top 3 rounds. Last year I had one, Carlos Hyde.

Right now I rank them this way with where I roughly have them rated overall:
Melvin Gordon, 15-20
Tevin Coleman, 25-30
Todd Gurley, 25-30 but medical flag
Ameer Abdullah, 45-50 overall
Duke Johnson, 45-55 overall
David Cobb, 70-75 overall
Jeremy Langford, 80-100
Jay Ajayi, 80-100
T.J. Yeldon, 80-100
Javorious Allen, 90-100

Even some good "sleepers" like David Johnson, Zack Zenner, Raheem Mostert, Alonzo Harris. Great year to need a RB, and just about every team does. Some need multiple and I can see quite a few UDFAs making rosters.

Hi Jeff,

Do you know anything about UNLV RB Shaquille Lawrence Murray? Would there been any interest in him as UDFA you think? The RB class being so stacked wouldn't really help his chances. We played pee wee football together so I've been rootin for him pretty hard.

Thanks,

Jake
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#737 » by Icness » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:49 pm

I don't know a lot about Murray-Lawrence. He missed the Arizona and SJSU games this year and the only other UNLV game I saw was Nevada. Looked shifty but tiny. Caught the ball well. I'll keep an eye out for him. I love when y'all have personal connections to players.
hermes
RealGM

Post#738 » by hermes » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:19 pm

no combine thread this year?

jeff, any vikings news on who they are looking at?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#739 » by Icness » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm

hermes wrote:no combine thread this year?

jeff, any vikings news on who they are looking at?

I forgot to put a combine thread up. Wound up coming down here to it without much warning and I've been working some angles 8-)

Here's what I know about the Vikings:
--they are actively trying to replace Chad Greenway
--during Shrine Game week they were very focused on wideouts
--pay attention to the long defensive ends, guys like Preston Smith and Ryan Russell
--they are quite smug about getting Teddy. As they should be.

Side note about a NFC North rival...
It's pretty much unanimous consensus the Bears are going to be awful in '15. Like, they'll be happy to go 4-12 kind of bad. Regime change gives them license to overhaul and they're going to use it.
hermes
RealGM

Post#740 » by hermes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:43 am

interesting, a greenway replacement long-term or are they thinking of not bringing him back this year?

Return to NFL Draft