Early Mock draft

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Early Mock draft 

Post#1 » by Icness » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:25 pm

I tinkered with this a lot and had some guys (Brohm, Phillips, Sweed) literally all over the 1st round. This edition is harsh on the QBs, with my thinking being that so many of the teams picking high have invested 05-07 1st/2nd round picks on QBs.

I do these early ones strictly for fun and give a little glimpse of what some scouts/teams are doing, not for accuracy. Keep that in mind when you post comments--I
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#2 » by GYBE » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Nice job giving John Carlson his props. I fear the team's abysmal offense might drop his stock and he could stand to improve his blocking a bit, but before his injury last season he was easily the best TE in college football. Great at running routes and catches everything. The problem is his stats won't be good this year. The O-line has been so bad he has to stay and block on so many plays.

8)
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#3 » by Icness » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 pm

GYBE wrote:Nice job giving John Carlson his props. I fear the team's abysmal offense might drop his stock and he could stand to improve his blocking a bit, but before his injury last season he was easily the best TE in college football. Great at running routes and catches everything. The problem is his stats won't be good this year. The O-line has been so bad he has to stay and block on so many plays.

8)

I've spent a lot of time evaluating him and he's a legit 1st rounder. He's every bit as good at everything as Greg Olsen, just not quite as fast, though a better downfield blocker and better catcher of bad throws. He's managed to stay positive and focused despite the complete chaos around him, which says a lot about his character and drive.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Very very very suprised not to see Chris Long. Some other guys I'm suprised didn't make it are Quentin Groves, Ryan Clady, and Derrick Harvey.

I'm curious as to why you think Sam Baker is better than Jake Long, as most prefer Long.

I think McFadden is guaranteed top 5, but hey anything can happen. Also think Calais is top 10.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#5 » by Icness » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:02 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Very very very suprised not to see Chris Long. Some other guys I'm suprised didn't make it are Quentin Groves, Ryan Clady, and Derrick Harvey.

I'm curious as to why you think Sam Baker is better than Jake Long, as most prefer Long.

I think McFadden is guaranteed top 5, but hey anything can happen. Also think Calais is top 10.

LOL. All the omitted guys you mentioned are in the alternate version. Long is in the top 15 in that one, McFadden #4, and Clady threatening the top 20. That's what is so fun about these early ones to me.

I go back and forth on Long, and I think most people who watch him a lot do too. He can literally erase a guy from the field for long stretches, but he's got loads of issues with shorter, quicker guys and also doesn't do real well when he's asked to block down the line. Baker has a better feel for blocking in space and helping his fellow linemates, and he handles speed rushers a little more fluidly.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#6 » by lpsevier » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:08 pm

If the Falcons end up with a top five pick (looking like we will) and Brohm is there at any of those picks - can you see us passing on him?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:49 pm

im surprised that you have baker above long as most places ive seen long higher.

also surprised to see brohm and woodson so low and ryan so high

quick question, in a couple mocks ive seen martellus bennett from texas A&M being in the 1st round. where do u see him? he's got great measurables.

and as a cowboys fan id love getting dorsey, i say if we dont get mcfadden or dorsey trade down do u think thats a possibility?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#8 » by Icness » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:53 pm

studcrackers wrote:im surprised that you have baker above long as most places ive seen long higher.

also surprised to see brohm and woodson so low and ryan so high

quick question, in a couple mocks ive seen martellus bennett from texas A&M being in the 1st round. where do u see him? he's got great measurables.

and as a cowboys fan id love getting dorsey, i say if we dont get mcfadden or dorsey trade down do u think thats a possibility?

I've not seen him this season other than about 10 minutes of the Miami debacle. He's certainly in the mix in the 30-50 range from what I've seen/heard.

The Cowboys are going to be very active, I believe. Kind of depends on what they think they can get with the CLE pick and where that winds up being. I could easily see them dealing that pick for a 09 #1 if it's not in the top 8 or so, for a team looking to go QB shopping (Chicago?). Or packaging their 2 1sts to move up and get Dorsey as I put in this mock. I can definitely see Bobby Carpenter being moved with one of those picks too.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#9 » by jumanji » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 am

Rey Maulauga is a headcase and overruns too many plays, i would probably take Cushing, Connor, Rivers and Lauranaitis before him. As for the QBs or rather teams needing one, i would think Atlanta, Miami, KC, Detroit and maybe even Chicago not only need one but all may be drafting early enough to take one. I assume Chris Long being absent from your mock was a typo.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#10 » by Next Coming » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:10 am

Good stuff. Some things that caught my eye were.

Trae Williams over Mike Jenkins?

Andre Woodson and Brian Brohm out of the top 15.

Don't see the Bills taking Sam Baker with Jason Peters at LT who is considered a top 5 tackle and Langston Walker who the Bills heavily invested in this offseason.

I WANT GLEN DORSEY!
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#11 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Adarius Bowman is the guy I want too. I think if we replace Joe Gibbs with a bright offensive mind, we could have one of the deadliest passing offense in the league and a tall athletic WR would be needed for that.

Moss, Bowman with El in the slot and Cooley at TE is as good as it gets. We really lack a WR who can go across the middle or catch a pass on a quick slant.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#12 » by Icness » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:29 pm

Next Coming wrote:Good stuff. Some things that caught my eye were.

Trae Williams over Mike Jenkins?

Andre Woodson and Brian Brohm out of the top 15.

Don't see the Bills taking Sam Baker with Jason Peters at LT who is considered a top 5 tackle and Langston Walker who the Bills heavily invested in this offseason.

I WANT GLEN DORSEY!

You know what--you're probably right about the T situation in BUF. Mental note to change that before I submit the mock for publication on the main page, which always brings me loads of nasty email feedback.

Dorsey is so far and away the best player in this draft, it's not even close. You'll hear some people who put McFadden as the top player but that is strictly a bias for offensive sexiness. Dorsey has the skills of Kevin Williams or Casey Hampton already, only faster than either of those two. If I had the #1 pick I wouldn't even think about anyone but Dorsey, no matter who was already on my team.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#13 » by jumanji » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Icness wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You know what--you're probably right about the T situation in BUF. Mental note to change that before I submit the mock for publication on the main page, which always brings me loads of nasty email feedback.

Dorsey is so far and away the best player in this draft, it's not even close. You'll hear some people who put McFadden as the top player but that is strictly a bias for offensive sexiness. Dorsey has the skills of Kevin Williams or Casey Hampton already, only faster than either of those two. If I had the #1 pick I wouldn't even think about anyone but Dorsey, no matter who was already on my team.

I agree Dorsey is a stud but if you're Atlanta or Chicago or Detroit you're going to pull the trigger on a Qb. The best player doesnt always go first.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:08 am

Dorsey is unreal, I laugh my ass off at the people who are hyping Mcfadden up as the best RB prospect in the last decade :lol:

Agree with icness, Dorsey is not only the most talented DT I have seen in some time, but he's got no motivation or weight issues, he's got the motor that doesn't quit.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#15 » by Icness » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:49 am

jumanji wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree Dorsey is a stud but if you're Atlanta or Chicago or Detroit you're going to pull the trigger on a Qb. The best player doesnt always go first.

So true. Best player hasn't gone first in awhile. Palmer in 03, before that it was Manning in 98, though some will argue Vick in 01 was the best player (I thought it was Leonard Davis, some thought LT). And sometimes it doesn't mean much: Robert Gallery was on top of most draft boards in 04 (mine too), Ronnie Brown topped many in 05 (mine was Derrick Johnson, followed by Braylon Edwards).
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#16 » by studcrackers » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:36 am

he's no russell maryland :wink:
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 2, 2007 2:13 pm

The Vikings need to draft McFadden and run the wishbone.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#18 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Oct 2, 2007 4:24 pm

Icness wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So true. Best player hasn't gone first in awhile. Palmer in 03, before that it was Manning in 98, though some will argue Vick in 01 was the best player (I thought it was Leonard Davis, some thought LT). And sometimes it doesn't mean much: Robert Gallery was on top of most draft boards in 04 (mine too), Ronnie Brown topped many in 05 (mine was Derrick Johnson, followed by Braylon Edwards).

:o

Derrick Johnson!

So I wasn't alone!!??!?

I like how this guy thinks.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NoSkyy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#19 » by NoSkyy » Wed Oct 3, 2007 1:08 am

studcrackers wrote:he's no russell maryland :wink:

He's from my high school :clap:
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#20 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Oct 4, 2007 12:06 am

Tyson Jackson has Redskin written all over him:

1. Washington needs a big defensive end. Check.
2. Washington needs a decent pass rusher at LDE. Check.
3. Jackson is humongous and good against the run. Check.
4. Jackson has decent pass rushing ability. Check.

I'd love to see him on this defense. Perfect match.

Return to NFL Draft