Who are your teams?

Moderator: studcrackers

Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#21 » by Next Coming » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:47 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Here in Illinois College Football SUCKS.
So I root for Michigan.
GO BIG BLUE.

Don't you dare talk bad about Juice Williams.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,123

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:08 pm

Next Coming wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Don't you dare talk bad about Juice Williams.

It's alright. His 39.5% completion percentage does it already for him.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#23 » by KingInExile » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I'm honestly curious on this, and not trying to stir up any hatred here. I apologize if this takes over the thread, and if it does, maybe we could just split it into a new thread to not detract from the original intent of the thread.

For me it is the unjustified over-rating that ND constantly gets. They could come off a 3-8 season and still find themselves ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the next season for no good reason. They also tend to get preferential treatment just because of their "history". Case in point is 2001 when they went 9-3 and finished the season ranked #11, but they still leapfrogged over teams like K-state and Nebraska for a BCS bowl bid for no apparent reason other than that they were Notre Dame. I enjoyed that fact that Oregon State squished them in that game, but I would have rather the Beavs played a team that legitimately should have been there.

I will also say that there is some arrogance in their fan base, especially from the ones that buy off on media hype ND is given every year. Going back again to the 2001 Fiesta bowl, I remember hearing from many ND fans that felt they were absolutely entitled to a BCS bowl bid, even if their record didn't reflect it. Those same fans also arrogantly believed that Oregon State would not be able to compete with them. Yes, every team will have homer fans that will deliver the hype and loyalty without question. However, it just seems to me that ND has a disproportionate amount of those types of fans...which is freaking annoying.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#24 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:20 pm

FSU
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:52 pm

KingInExile wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

For me it is the unjustified over-rating that ND constantly gets. They could come off a 3-8 season and still find themselves ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the next season for no good reason. They also tend to get preferential treatment just because of their "history". Case in point is 2001 when they went 9-3 and finished the season ranked #11, but they still leapfrogged over teams like K-state and Nebraska for a BCS bowl bid for no apparent reason other than that they were Notre Dame. I enjoyed that fact that Oregon State squished them in that game, but I would have rather the Beavs played a team that legitimately should have been there.

I will also say that there is some arrogance in their fan base, especially from the ones that buy off on media hype ND is given every year. Going back again to the 2001 Fiesta bowl, I remember hearing from many ND fans that felt they were absolutely entitled to a BCS bowl bid, even if their record didn't reflect it. Those same fans also arrogantly believed that Oregon State would not be able to compete with them. Yes, every team will have homer fans that will deliver the hype and loyalty without question. However, it just seems to me that ND has a disproportionate amount of those types of fans...which is freaking annoying.

Check out the BCS regulations that they agreed to with ND. I know there was a lot of argument that ND didn't deserve to be in the BCS over Oregon against Ohio State, but ND was an automatic qualifier that year. They may have been back against Oregan State as well.

But I honestly see the reason for unnecessary hype as being that polls are even released before week 4 or 5 when you really see how teams start to shake out. You will have your blind homers for any team, especially if you're talking about high schoolers or younger who have no idea how the system works. Every ND fan I interact with will gladly point out our own flaws and admit that ND is usually overrated to begin with by the media, just so the media can shoot them down later. Every year the media loves setting up high expectations so that they can argue ND down later and sell more stories. When ND doesn't deserve recognition, they get it anyway. When they do deserve recognition, they only get negative press. It's an ugly situation at ND.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,581

Post#26 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:31 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I'm really not quite understanding the hate for the Irish. Is it just the winning? Is it because they don't operate like any other football program/school? Is it because of the fans?

I mean, I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox, mostly because of fan interactions with lifelong fans of those two teams. It's so easy to find out that the annoying ND fans have only been fans of them since the day they enrolled at ND and flew to South Bend from New York or LA. Anywhere else in the country where ND is THE Catholic University, ND fans are respectful and noble. I've never seen ND fans at ND games call out any other fans, but I've had USC fans call my mother a bi**h with my father and I standing right in between them (my mother doesn't quite understand football and was asking a question of us). I've never seen ND fans act the way Michigan, OSU, or Purdue fans treat opposing fans.

I'm honestly curious on this, and not trying to stir up any hatred here. I apologize if this takes over the thread, and if it does, maybe we could just split it into a new thread to not detract from the original intent of the thread.

It's likely their alpha status, that's all. Just part of being the big dog.

I will say about USC, coming from a UCLA perspective, while I don't hate their teams, the attitude of the school is honestly scary. Examples:

-Both schools would make t-shirts asserting their superiority over the other. But while UCLA would make some generic joke about sleeping with their cheerleaders or Trojan condoms, USC's would more often then not be about social class with racial overtones. A blonde couple in USC shirts getting their car washed by a dark haired couple in UCLA shirts. A blond guy in a USC shirt with his foot on the back of a brown haired woman on the ground mopping up the floor with the title "My maid went to UCLA." When you factor in that USC's reputation is as the private school for rich kids in Orange County, it gets downright ominous.

-Their travelling programs are notorious for being elitist. I had a friend in the marching band, and he said that after every game, both sets of bands would party together, except USC who would never join in those parties and considered itself above the others in terms of reputation.

But with that said, maybe such stories are common in other parts of the country, I don't know.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,127
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#27 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:38 pm

My problem with USC and ND is that they always seem to get a bowl bid or a high ranking just because.

USC was considered for the National championship, even with a few really bad losses, and that just isn't right IMO.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#28 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:10 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:My problem with USC and ND is that they always seem to get a bowl bid or a high ranking just because.

USC was considered for the National championship, even with a few really bad losses, and that just isn't right IMO.

There's no doubt that the big programs get addvantages. However, once USC got a 2nd loss, they got no more consideration, and the only reason they've gotten consideration in recent years with one loss is because there weren't 2 big programs that went undefeated.

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,127
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#29 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:31 am

I might still be bitter that USC tries to claim a piece of LSU's title.

That and the whole "lets put a billboard about USC's greatness, across the street from the LSU campus"

That may have rubbed me the wrong way, because I think if it had been USC to win the title and LSU claiming a shared title, It would not have even been considered.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#30 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:35 am

USC fans are just a**holes. Try sitting in the thick of them during college basketball games (as I did in their first tournament game against Arkansas). They annoyed the f**k out of me and their cheers are bad.

And I hate their football team too.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:05 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:USC fans are just a**holes. Try sitting in the thick of them during college basketball games (as I did in their first tournament game against Arkansas). They annoyed the f**k out of me and their cheers are bad.

And I hate their football team too.

Oh, I've sat surrounded by them at Notre Dame stadium. I'm sorry, but I had one honest, funny, and nice guy sitting behind me, and then a bunch of rude, elitist, spiteful and mean people surrounding us. I was there with my mother and father, both quiet game watchers, and my cousin and his wife and daughter. My cousin is one of the nicest people I've ever met. A prototypical guy that will always build other around him up, and has never broken anyone down.

At the end of the game, after USC fans had already given up hope before 4th and 9, they ran around, claiming they always knew USC was better than ND, and calling my mother names. One 40 year old man quickly saw that he had made a dear mistake, and might have to pay for it. He tried running down the stairway, but it was packed, and my dad caught him quickly. I saw the fear of Jesus come into this idiot's eyes as my dad whispered quietly into his ear, and the man apologized to my mother, and ran down the stairs.

This was just one example of their fans in the stadium. Outside the stadium, they were fine. It was old friends all around, cracking light-hearted jokes about each other, but when it came to the game, they got downright rude and nasty, and built a horrible name for themselves.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#32 » by KingInExile » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:34 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Check out the BCS regulations that they agreed to with ND. I know there was a lot of argument that ND didn't deserve to be in the BCS over Oregon against Ohio State, but ND was an automatic qualifier that year. They may have been back against Oregan State as well.

Well, this ties into my dislike of the BCS system. But that dislike aside, the fact that they do have such an agreement just bolsters my opinion of them getting preferential treatment...they have that agreement just because they are Notre Dame.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#33 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:51 am

I have two:

ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 7, 2007 8:52 pm

KingInExile wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, this ties into my dislike of the BCS system. But that dislike aside, the fact that they do have such an agreement just bolsters my opinion of them getting preferential treatment...they have that agreement just because they are Notre Dame.

The BCS comes knocking and offering guaranteed money, you expect your school to turn it down? Especially a school who takes that guaranteed money, and does the non-football factory thing, and uses that money to fund not only the rest of the athletics department, but also to help fund the general university? The ND football team doesn't take money from the university. They actually contribute money to the general scholarship fund, and have funded many of the buildings on campus there. They are quite possibly the only university that does that.

I chalk Notre Dame up as one of those schools where if you truly understand it, you love it. Not one person who actually understands how the university was founded, is run, is operated, and is lead would actually hate the university. You can not root for them. That is completely understandable. But many of the arguments I hear against ND are completely false, and many times, are actually things that their favorite schools DO, and ND never has.
Traveldude50
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Traveldude50 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 9:21 pm

The U. for those of you that dont remember wat the u is it is the university of miami :) heard recruitings been going well with randy shannon
Jack Haley
Senior
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Jack Haley » Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:08 am

For football, Texas all the way. Basketball, I ususally have a different favorite every season or two. Last couple of years I've really liked A&M.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#37 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Next Coming wrote:Don't you dare talk bad about Juice Williams.

Hey did you know he was a true freshman last year? That's all I ever heard Pam Ward say about him when Illinois played Wisconsin last year.

Anyways my favorite team...

Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#38 » by Philly KDub » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm

i hate ohio state and michigan with passion.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#39 » by Next Coming » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:25 pm

KDubbz wrote:(picture)

i hate ohio state and michigan with passion.

The feeling is mutual.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#40 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:17 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh, I've sat surrounded by them at Notre Dame stadium. I'm sorry, but I had one honest, funny, and nice guy sitting behind me, and then a bunch of rude, elitist, spiteful and mean people surrounding us. I was there with my mother and father, both quiet game watchers, and my cousin and his wife and daughter. My cousin is one of the nicest people I've ever met. A prototypical guy that will always build other around him up, and has never broken anyone down.

At the end of the game, after USC fans had already given up hope before 4th and 9, they ran around, claiming they always knew USC was better than ND, and calling my mother names. One 40 year old man quickly saw that he had made a dear mistake, and might have to pay for it. He tried running down the stairway, but it was packed, and my dad caught him quickly. I saw the fear of Jesus come into this idiot's eyes as my dad whispered quietly into his ear, and the man apologized to my mother, and ran down the stairs.

This was just one example of their fans in the stadium. Outside the stadium, they were fine. It was old friends all around, cracking light-hearted jokes about each other, but when it came to the game, they got downright rude and nasty, and built a horrible name for themselves.

:rofl: I'd like to drink beer with you Scoot.

Return to NCAA Football