OU penalized for violations in 2005

Moderator: studcrackers

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,939

OU penalized for violations in 2005 

Post#1 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 pm

-Two years added to the current probationary period

- Loss of 2 scholarships for each of the next 2 seasons.

- Must vacate records for 2005 season, including Holiday Bowl victory over Oregon.

Breaking News on ESPNEWS, no link yet. More details coming after a news conference.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#2 » by SportsWorld » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 pm

Womp Womp Womp Wooooooommmmpppp
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,082

Post#3 » by High 5 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:07 pm

These violations from years back are so dumb.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 am

Cheaters get what cheaters deserve. I'm surprised (wait...not really, but let's pretend I still am) that the NCAA didn't further investigate the claim that Adrian Peterson was receiving rentals for weeks at a time without paying for them.

But whatever. Oklahoma is no stranger to bending or breaking the rules; I'm just glad the NCAA still has some stones.

Brady Leaf should be on his hands and knees thanking God.

David Boren, the school's president, says they'll appeal. He should be appealing to keep his job.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
GSWbandwagon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by GSWbandwagon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 am

they didn't get much of a punishment. they vacated 8 wins in 2005, big deal. if you vacate a national championship, that's a big deal. a major bowl win vacated would be a pretty big deal. they vacated 8 wins. whoopie. oh, and they go down from 85 to 83 scholarships for a couple years. woe is oklahoma football.

they knowingly allowed a booster (who they had been warned about before) to pay players thousands of dollars. they did this while on probation. they got...more probation. that'll teach 'em!

and oklahoma should appeal. remember georgia basketball? they had players taking a class taught by an assistant coach with a final that consisted of questions like "how many points do you get for making a 3 point shot?" they got busted with major academic fraud led by the coaching staff, and lost something like 9 scholarships. they appealed asking for some of the scholarships back. the ncaa put their foot down and rejected that appeal. they said you'll take all your scholarships back and like it, and if you don't get out of our face now, we'll change the record books so that you won some extra games. maybe oklahoma will be able to give out like 90 scholarships a year after they're done appealing.

as an aside, do the opposing teams that lost to oklahoma also wipe these games and their stats from the record books?

oh, and reggie bush's free house, limo rides and all expense paid travel for the family, etc are still ok with the ncaa. wouldn't want to actually damage the cash cows of the sport. but i'm sure they'll smack down akron or someone similarly irrelevant as a public flexing of muscle.
sideshowking24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by sideshowking24 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 am

I agree it was pretty ridiculous how easy they got off. I was hoping for a lot harsher penalty but you can't count on the NCAA to step up when they need to. 2 scholarships out of 85 is nothing. and its not like they're new to this kind of thing either. their mascot more than adequately describes the university.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#7 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:54 am

GSWbandwagon wrote:oh, and reggie bush's free house, limo rides and all expense paid travel for the family, etc are still ok with the ncaa. wouldn't want to actually damage the cash cows of the sport. but i'm sure they'll smack down akron or someone similarly irrelevant as a public flexing of muscle.

That's a whole 'nother matter, but I completely understand your thinking.

Forfeiting a bowl win is a pretty big ego loss, as is forfeiting a winning season in the Big 12. So I'm relatively happy that a school with one of the largest collective egos in college football is shut down somewhat.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#8 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:42 pm

it s funny that this has been reported first in a message board by some guy whose gf works at big red sports
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Post#9 » by HDMAVS760CA » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:42 am

:noway: UGH man why can't these boosters stop doing this junk? Don't they know that it punishes the players & their school/team when they do this? But I also blame the NCAA 4 not giving the players a bit of money after all...the players make a whole bunch of money 4 the school. :-?
El Turco

Post#10 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:01 pm

HDMAVS760CA wrote::noway: UGH man why can't these boosters stop doing this junk?

Because for every one that has been caught/punished there is 50 that has not been caught/punished.

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#11 » by Icness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:05 pm

ElTurco wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because for every one that has been caught/punished there is 50 that has not been caught/punished.

Try 500 for every one that gets caught. Heck, it went on at Ohio U. while I was there and we only won 8 games in the first 5 years I attended there. I can't even begin to fathom what all goes on at big-time programs liek Ohio State, USC, or LSU.
El Turco

Post#12 » by El Turco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm

^lol @ Ohio U., i hope you dont have any STDs

Return to NCAA Football