Moderator: studcrackers

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Ty Willingham 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:30 am

Is such an awful coach.

Going into the season, he has one scholarship cornerback with Washington. His plan was to start a walk-on opposite him. That plan was foiled when the walk-on quit the team.

All those media heads who wrote about how good a coach he was after the ND firing...it's funny, none of them talk about him anymore. He took a struggling Washington program and basically killed it.

8)
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#2 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:47 am

^ you're terrible... washington was already struggling before he came and took the program... a lot of the recruits were terrible but he wasn't the guy that recruited him. willingham ain't the worst coach in the country.. he's just unlucky. plus, washington win total is increasing every year.. how do you explain that? he also recruited jake locker, a top QB prospect in the country during his era. that's an amazing job if you consider that washington was losing its reputation as a good football school. this is a rebuilding age. i have all the faith in willingham and his ability.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:05 am

Washington will be fortunate to win 2 games this year and downright lucky to win 4. Willingham may be recruiting better, but it hasn't translated on the field the past two years.

GYBE, do you have a link to that story? Because that is f**king hilarious. I know Washington is losing its football players to arrest (two this year and counting), but that's awesome.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by GYBE » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:17 am

First off, I said Washington was struggling before he got there.

The walk-on quit because Willingham wouldn't give him a scholarship, despite him being a starter by default. This is after he ran off another corner last year delcaring him a senior for scholarship purposes, even though he had been listed as a junior all year. Now they have no idea who's going to start in the secondary. I'm not sure how you can defend this.

Colt Brennan may win the Heisman on the Washington game alone.

UW used to be a proud football school, but this is the third awful coach in a row and I'm not sure they'll ever be able to recover. He'll get the odd standout recruit because he's a personable and likeable guy; he's great with the media. He just can't coach on gameday. And he had a lot more talent at ND and didn't do anything, so I'm not holding my breath that his Washington classes will perform well.

8)
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#5 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:16 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Washington will be fortunate to win 2 games this year and downright lucky to win 4. Willingham may be recruiting better, but it hasn't translated on the field the past two years.

having the toughest schedule in the nation doesn't help....

UW used to be a proud football school, but this is the third awful coach in a row and I'm not sure they'll ever be able to recover. He'll get the odd standout recruit because he's a personable and likeable guy; he's great with the media. He just can't coach on gameday. And he had a lot more talent at ND and didn't do anything, so I'm not holding my breath that his Washington classes will perform well.

i don't know. i have faith in jake locker. he's our savior for the upcoming season and the next few years.

GYBE, do you have a link to that story? Because that is f**king hilarious. I know Washington is losing its football players to arrest (two this year and counting), but that's awesome.

shut up ducks fan!
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#6 » by El Turco » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:07 am

^get ready for the week 3 pounding.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#7 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:56 am

ElTurco wrote:^get ready for the week 3 pounding.

well i won't be there.. but yeah... my two favorite teams playing on the same field. should be fun. :D
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#8 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:50 pm

talking about the huskies. jake locker replied to my post in facebook. he seems like a pretty cool guy and really approachable. he's a big cincinnati reds fan because of griffey jr. awesome!
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by A.J. » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Monkeyfeng06 wrote:talking about the huskies. jake locker replied to my post in facebook. he seems like a pretty cool guy and really approachable. he's a big cincinnati reds fan because of griffey jr. awesome!

^the only bright spot of the team and season
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#10 » by El Turco » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Monkeyfeng06 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

well i won't be there.. but yeah... my two favorite teams playing on the same field. should be fun. :D

i wonder how we ended up liking the same teams pretty much in every sport
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
SteveScheffler
Junior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by SteveScheffler » Sat Sep 1, 2007 8:51 am

jake locker is a **** stud and the huskies will be solid this year. patience grass hoppers.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#12 » by Icness » Sat Sep 1, 2007 11:05 am

Ty's biggest problem is that he's a lousy recruiter. Most coaches are dynamic presences on the recruiting trail, inspiring, fiery generals that make you want to go to war for them. Willingham is emotionally flat, soft-spoken, unassuming. It somewhat worked at Notre Dame just because most of those kids would have gone there anyways. Washington has a good tradition but they don't have thousands of HS players whose lifelong dream is to play there like the Irish.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#13 » by jumanji » Sat Sep 1, 2007 3:50 pm

Icness wrote:Ty's biggest problem is that he's a lousy recruiter. Most coaches are dynamic presences on the recruiting trail, inspiring, fiery generals that make you want to go to war for them. Willingham is emotionally flat, soft-spoken, unassuming. It somewhat worked at Notre Dame just because most of those kids would have gone there anyways. Washington has a good tradition but they don't have thousands of HS players whose lifelong dream is to play there like the Irish.

The bread and butter in Wash. has always been the QBs and the O-line. They have a long line of signal callers at UW but the O-line crop have started to head off to places like Michigan and Oregon. You probably arent going to keep the Taylor May's of the world from heading to powerhouse programs but it would've been nice.

Locker is going to be special, with his running ability he should be the perfect college QB, i was a little surprised his national stock sort of dropped when he was a sr in highschool because the kid was great. Has run sub 4.5 on occasion and i've witnessed that.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 2, 2007 3:40 am

Was Locker coming to UW really due solely to Tyrone? Apparently, Washington was his only official visit, which tells me he was a lot like guys like Tom Zbikowski, Maurice Crum, John Carlson, Brady Quinn, Victor Abiamir, Nedu Ndukwe, etc. Those guys were going to ND no matter who the coach was. Same thing for Locker. He was going to UW, even IF Ty Willingham was the coach.

But seriously. I recommend you have minimal faith in the "molder of men". His molding skills are seriously over-rated and have molded since he left Stanford, when his molding skills were at the top of his game.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#15 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Sep 2, 2007 3:44 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Was Locker coming to UW really due solely to Tyrone? Apparently, Washington was his only official visit, which tells me he was a lot like guys like Tom Zbikowski, Maurice Crum, John Carlson, Brady Quinn, Victor Abiamir, Nedu Ndukwe, etc. Those guys were going to ND no matter who the coach was. Same thing for Locker. He was going to UW, even IF Ty Willingham was the coach.

But seriously. I recommend you have minimal faith in the "molder of men". His molding skills are seriously over-rated and have molded since he left Stanford, when his molding skills were at the top of his game.

locker got a lot of invites from other schools as well.

i'm not surprised that you're ND fan... yeah... i will wait and see what happens in the future. so far, he's doing a fine job.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#16 » by jumanji » Sun Sep 2, 2007 3:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Was Locker coming to UW really due solely to Tyrone? Apparently, Washington was his only official visit, which tells me he was a lot like guys like Tom Zbikowski, Maurice Crum, John Carlson, Brady Quinn, Victor Abiamir, Nedu Ndukwe, etc. Those guys were going to ND no matter who the coach was. Same thing for Locker. He was going to UW, even IF Ty Willingham was the coach.

Locker seemed to be set on UofW from the beginning, comes from a small town up near the canadian border and my guess is he's your basic local guy, baseball was a serious thought all along also. just my take.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#17 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Sep 2, 2007 4:19 pm

he did get a lot invites from good schools like USC.
ROKILLA
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Ty Willingham 

Post#18 » by ROKILLA » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:15 pm

GYBE wrote:Is such an awful coach.

Going into the season, he has one scholarship cornerback with Washington. His plan was to start a walk-on opposite him. That plan was foiled when the walk-on quit the team.

All those media heads who wrote about how good a coach he was after the ND firing...it's funny, none of them talk about him anymore. He took a struggling Washington program and basically killed it.

8)

What a silly little thread guy! Washington is now 2-0 while Notre Dame is 0-2. Notre Dame failed to score an offensive touchdown for the second straight game, and was held to zero yards rushing. LOL Weis is now the worst Coach in college football from that stat alone! I'm glad Notre Dame isn't getting any luck because they treated Willingham unfairly for a coach thats even worse! We all know why/how it went down! Karmas a bitch!
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by GYBE » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:20 am

And where were you when Weis went 19-6 and Ty went 7-16 over their first two seasons?

Apparently two games is all you need to know about where a program is. And one of UW's was over Syracuse, and both of ND's opponents were ranked.

And I'd talk about how ND's struggles this year were obvious even in 2005 because of Ty's terrible recruiting (we literally have 5 contributing upperclassmen), but I'm tired of going over it in the ND thread on the Chicago board.

8)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Monkeyfeng06 wrote:he did get a lot invites from good schools like USC.

Oh, I'm not doubting that. I'm just saying that no matter who the coach was at Washington and no matter who offered him, he just wanted to go to Washington, the school. He didn't necessarily want to play for Ty Willingham the coach, but he just wanted to go to Washington, the school.

Not a disrespect at all to Locker. I just know that people give Willingham credit for recruiting Quinn and Ndukwe, when the only reason he even looked at them is because Abiamiri's dad was talking to Willingham after Abiamiri had committed and said, "Hey, you might wanna look at this Quinn and Ndukwe kids from Dublin." Willingham then proceeded to wait so long that Quinn's dad called up and said "unless you offer us in the next week, we're going to have to commit somewhere else".

Return to NCAA Football