Falcons 2022 Draft: Birds last in sacks

Moderator: HMFFL

DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,876

Re: Falcons 2022 Draft: Birds last in sacks 

Post#21 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:15 pm

Come on Edge.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jermaine Johnson ended up being drafted at 26th so trading down could have been a possibility, but if we feel we have our guy at WR, so be it.

6'5" and he should fit nicely.

As for Charles Cross, I would have supported him being our pick. Now, looking at today, I hope we make the best of our picks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#23 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:57 pm

I'm still upset that the Falcons passed up on Jordan Davis. Falcons have always had a prejudice for UGA players and its so stupid and frustrating.

2nd round coming. I hope Falcons select one of the following...

Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
Malik Willis
David Ojabo
Arnold Ebiketie
Leo Chenal

For round 3 i would target D'Marco Jackson.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:32 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:2nd round coming. I hope Falcons select one of the following...

Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
Malik Willis
David Ojabo
Arnold Ebiketie
Leo Chenal

Malik or Desmond Ridder?

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:2nd round coming. I hope Falcons select one of the following...

Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
Malik Willis
David Ojabo
Arnold Ebiketie
Leo Chenal

Malik or Desmond Ridder?

Read on Twitter

I like the Ebiketie selection even if we traded up.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:27 am

Read on Twitter
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#29 » by Buzzard » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:32 am

I was not a happy camper when the Falcons took a receiver at #8. But after taking Ebiketie, Andersen, Malone, and Ridder I am a lot more pleased. One of the things that worry me is the small school mentality of our scouting team. It seems like we are reaching for some all big small conference player every season.

I think Ridder was the most NFL ready QB left and love the pick. Taking London makes a lot more sense now. You can't teach size. Adding the 6'4" London to the fold with Pitts at 6'6" gives our future quarterback ( even if Ridder is not that QB ) some big targets to throw to.

Issue is definitely going to be the offensive line. I can see Mariota starting just because he hopefully knows how to escape without getting a concussion every 3rd or 4th game.

I'll give the Falcons a B. I wanted one offensive lineman. As noted earlier, I am also worried about Anderson and Malone coming from less competitive conferences.

Go Falcons, Go Hawks, Go Braves!
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:57 am

Another disappointing draft by the Falcons. I don't know what is wrong Atlanta, they always make the same mistakes over and over again.

For some reason Atlanta hates drafting UGA players, even though UGA has the most active NFL players and pro bowlers for the last couple of decades. New England, Stealers, and Packers love to consistently draft UGA players and no wonder why they are always in the playoffs.

I would have drafted...

Jordan Davis
Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
BPA LB/DE
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:59 pm

Falcons coach Arthur Smith "didn’t shut the door" on rookie QB Desmond Ridder earning the starting job this season.

“As with any position, the best guy is going to play,” Smith said. “With Marcus [Mariota] being the veteran, that’s the way it’ll go for now.” With only Mariota, a backup since 2019, in front of Ridder, it's not hard to see Ridder winning a training camp competition. Ridder, a four-year starter at Cincinnati, was viewed as the most pro-ready quarterback by some teams. Playing in a pass-heavy offense that's set to feature first-round WR Drake London and TE Kyle Pitts, there are reasons to get excited about Ridder, with rushing upside giving him a high floor to fall back on. The Falcons will likely have Ridder on a Davis Mills fast track if he doesn't start Week 1.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 30, 2022, 10:43 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:01 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Another disappointing draft by the Falcons. I don't know what is wrong Atlanta, they always make the same mistakes over and over again.

For some reason Atlanta hates drafting UGA players, even though UGA has the most active NFL players and pro bowlers for the last couple of decades. New England, Stealers, and Packers love to consistently draft UGA players and no wonder why they are always in the playoffs.

I would have drafted...

Jordan Davis
Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
BPA LB/DE
Sadly, we could have traded down, and still drafted Jordan Davis. Him and Dean would have msde too much damn sense.

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:21 pm

HMFFL wrote:Falcons coach Arthur Smith "didn’t shut the door" on rookie QB Desmond Ridder earning the starting job this season.

“As with any position, the best guy is going to play,” Smith said. “With Marcus [Mariota] being the veteran, that’s the way it’ll go for now.” With only Mariota, a backup since 2019, in front of Ridder, it's not hard to see Ridder winning a training camp competition. Ridder, a four-year starter at Cincinnati, was viewed as the most pro-ready quarterback by some teams. Playing in a pass-heavy offense that's set to feature first-round WR Drake London and TE Kyle Pitts, there are reasons to get excited about Ridder, with rushing upside giving him a high floor to fall back on. The Falcons will likely have Ridder on a Davis Mills fast track if he doesn't start Week 1.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 30, 2022, 10:43 AM ET

I don't like the Ridder pick, but I'm not also a QB expert. The secret metric i use to judge college QBs is 3rd down conversion. I had Ridder last on my QBs rankings because he had a 3rd down conversion of 39%. I had Corral #1 on my QB ranking because he had a 3rd conversion of 52% (Malik Willis had a 3rd down conversion of 46%).

In 2016 Mahomes had a conversion of 53%, Trubisky had a conversion of 44%
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#34 » by Buzzard » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:13 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Another disappointing draft by the Falcons. I don't know what is wrong Atlanta, they always make the same mistakes over and over again.

I would have drafted...

Jordan Davis
Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
BPA LB/DE

They took your Georgia kid. Justin Shaffer is suppose to be a good run blocker with an attitude. They just took a tight end from Georgia, John Fitzpatrick.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:35 pm

Round 1, Pick 8: WR Drake London, USC

Round 2, Pick 38: EDGE Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State

Round 2, Pick 58: LB Troy Andersen, Montana State

Round 3, Pick 74: QB Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

Round 3, Pick 82: EDGE DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky

Round 5, Pick 151: RB Tyler Allgeier, BYU

Round 6, Pick 190: G Justin Shaffer, Georgia

Round 6, Pick 213: TE John FitzPatrick, Georgia

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:36 pm

Buzzard wrote:

I would have drafted...

Jordan Davis
Nakobe Dean
Matt Corral
BPA LB/DE

They took your Georgia kid. Justin Shaffer is suppose to be a good run blocker with an attitude. They just took a tight end from Georgia, John Fitzpatrick.
Good blocker with only 17 career catches.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 1, 2022 4:05 am

HMFFL wrote:Round 1, Pick 8: WR Drake London, USC

Round 2, Pick 38: EDGE Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State

Round 2, Pick 58: LB Troy Andersen, Montana State

Round 3, Pick 74: QB Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

Round 3, Pick 82: EDGE DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky

Round 5, Pick 151: RB Tyler Allgeier, BYU

Round 6, Pick 190: G Justin Shaffer, Georgia

Round 6, Pick 213: TE John FitzPatrick, Georgia

5 picks in the top-100? If we got even 5 league average starters in this draft, we'll be a much better team than last season.

Here's hoping...

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Sun May 1, 2022 4:13 am

NFL draft grades: Mel Kiper Jr. picks steals, sleepers and favorite 2022 classes from all 32 teams

Atlanta B+

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33827196/nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-jr-picks-steals-sleepers-favorite-2022-classes-all-32-teams

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 1, 2022 4:27 am

Is this guy the next Michael 'The Burner' Turner?

Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU

Strengths: Powerful lower body, runs behind pads, consistently plays through and creates after contact, competent receiver and pass-blocker

Weaknesses: Lacks speed to be an outside running threat, limited route-runner, ball security

Tyler Allgeier is a freight train ready to run over whoever gets in his way. Allgeier is a punishing runner with more juice than expected. The proof is in the numbers.

The 22-year-old finished third in the FBS last season with 1,606 rushing yards and tied for first with 23 rushing touchdowns. He earned the second-highest rushing grade, piled up the most yards after contact and forced the fourth-most missed tackles since the 2020 campaign, per Pro Football Focus. Allgeier is not just a thumper between the tackles, though. His 25 runs of 20 or more yards were third-most over the last two seasons, according to the 33rd Team.

The 224-pounder will never be mistaken for Nick Chubb and his amazing footwork or Jonathan Taylor and his explosive speed or Alvin Kamara and his versatility. But Allgeier knows how to run with patience and vision before he blasts through the hole and has enough of a spurt to create chunk plays.

The Atlanta Falcons can't rely on Cordarrelle Patterson as their primary ball-carrier. Allgeier can be the workhorse and punish defenders in head coach Arthur Smith’s zone-heavy scheme.

Grade: A
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 1, 2022 1:17 pm

Todd McShay wrote:Each Team's Best Value Draft Pick

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (Round 3, No. 74)

I'll start here by saying I really, really like the Drake London pick. His ability to box out defenders is something to watch, and I think he's underrated after the catch. But with Ridder, we're talking about a quarterback at No. 74 that I thought had an outside chance of sneaking into Round 1.

Ridder is a proven winner who sees the field well and has very good ball velocity and pocket mobility. My only concern with his game is that he misses within the strike zone a bit too much. His accuracy and touch overall are pretty strong, even on the run, but he'll have questionable ball placement on a handful of throws per game. If he gets that ironed out, he has a chance to be a good NFL quarterback.

This is just good management of the board. Atlanta didn't panic and jump on a quarterback in Round 2. Instead it landed two high-impact players in Penn State edge rusher Arnold Ebiketie and Montana State linebacker Troy Andersen. The Falcons waited until the perfect moment to jump on their signal-caller of choice. They clearly had Ridder above Liberty's Malik Willis and Ole Miss' Matt Corral and got the preferred option. But they also did so at premium value -- Willis and Corral came off the board in the next 20 picks, so there are no assurances that they could have waited too much longer.

Ridder could provide some competition for current starter Marcus Mariota this season, and if the team likes what it sees, it can turn things over to him. If not, Mariota is under contract for two years, the 2023 QB class offers more options and this is only a third-round pick we're talking about. Nice work, Atlanta.
ESPN Insider

Return to Atlanta Falcons