ImageImageImage

Falcons 2018 draft: Birds should draft a WR

Moderator: HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Falcons 2018 draft: Birds should draft a WR 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 am

I think the Falcons should just draft anybody who falls out of the top ten, like how Reuben Foster did last year, but basically the Falcons should also be open to drafting a WR if by chance a top 15 talent happens to fall to the late first round.

Julio is is already a HOF, but he will be 30 years old by this time next year. He will probably have 3-4 more years in his prime, but in those 3-4 years Falcons could already be grooming the next elite WR.

Falcons will probably go defense again in the 1st round. Atlanta could use an upgrade in every position on defense except for DE and ILB.

Falcons could also look at OL. Adding depth here is very important for good team to remain good. This is the reason why the Seahawks went from Championship team to not even making the playoffs in just a few years, because they stopped investing in their OL.

TE position is also another area the Falcons could go if a guy like Mark Andrews falls to the late first round.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Falcons 2018 draft: Birds should draft a WR 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am

Mel Kiper seems to agree with you that we need a WR, mocking Christian Kirk to us in the first round.

My pipe dream for the first round is having DT Vita Vea fall to us in the first, dude's a grizzly bear out there. But I know that's unlikely so I'd be down to draft a guard as my main area of concern.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:11 pm

It will be an interesting draft. With the possibility of alot teams reaching for QBs and QBs going in the first round, it could push some really good prospects to #26.

Vita Vea, Joshua Jackson, Orlando Brown would all be great prospects in the late first round. One mock even had Courtland Sutton going 24th, with alot of team taking QBs and OLs ahead of him.

The more I watch Joshua Jackson, the more of a fan i become. He looks like Marcus Peters

Vita Vea is a mountain of a man, he is just the definition of power and would be a good replacement to Poe.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,562

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 5, 2018 1:12 pm

I'd love a pass catching tight end to open up the middle of the field.

Any top prospects at the TE position slated to fall to us or into the 2nd round?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,111

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'd love a pass catching tight end to open up the middle of the field.

Any top prospects at the TE position slated to fall to us or into the 2nd round?

Would Matt Ryan even give him a look if we had one? From what I observed this season Jones and Jr. seem to have Matt Ryan wrapped around their fingers. An athletic TE that can catch would be a nice weapon to have or to even the one we currently have.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,562

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:32 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'd love a pass catching tight end to open up the middle of the field.

Would Matt Ryan even give him a look if we had one? From what I observed this season Jones and Jr. seem to have Matt Ryan wrapped around their fingers. An athletic TE that can catch would be a nice weapon to have or to even the one we currently have.

A fair question.

Matt Ryan and Tony Gonzales had a nice pairing years ago that carried us all the way to the NFC Championship game.

But, that was like 2 offensive coordinators ago.

We definitely have to spread the ball around more and become less dependent upon Julio.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:20 pm

^
I will never forget this postseason against Philly when Matt Ryan was only looking at Julio Jones, Jones falls to the ground, and Ryan only saw him as his only option. It's an issue that has handicapped us all season and Jr is a problem too.
It's an issue that our group needs to address from top to bottom. If we use our TE more or backfield in the passing game it obviously opens things up more.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Mock Drafts Below

26. Atlanta Falcons

Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia. The Falcons saw their offensive line regress in 2017, and it would not be a surprise if they cut ties with Andy Levitre this offseason rather than have him count against their cap for over $8 million. They replace him here by tabbing Wynn in the first round. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-both-new-york-teams-get-qbs-49ers-give-jimmy-g-a-running-mate/

26. Atlanta (10-6) — Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia, Sr.

The Falcons have a solid offensive line sans their guards. Wynn played tackle for the Bulldogs this season, but was a dominant force at guard during Senior Bowl week. Top needs: OG, DL, S http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nfl-mock-draft-2018-sam-darnold-20180208-story.html

26. Atlanta Falcons: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama 26. Atlanta Falcons: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 1, 2018 10:05 am

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 8:02 am

I think i'm in favor of the same strategy of drafting an OL, unless a Rubin Foster or Justin Houston type of prospect ends up falling to the late first round.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 2, 2018 11:56 pm

Georgia RB Nick Chubb recorded a 40-yard dash of 4.52 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Chubb (5'10/227) saw his official time locked in a tick faster than the 4.53 seconds he'd been listed at unofficially during Friday's runs. He rocked 29 reps on the bench press on Thursday -- tied with Saquon Barkley for the top mark by a running back -- and additionally turned in jumps of 38.5 inches (vertical) and 128 inches (broad). That mark in the broad jump was second only to Bo Scarbrough's 129-inch leap among running backs. On the whole, we've been fantastically pleased by Chubb's work in Indianapolis thus far.
Source: NFL.com
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 7:50 am

I'm a fan of Chubb, his upright running style reminds me of Terrell Davis
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 4, 2018 5:17 am

Shaquem Griffin just put up 20 reps on the bench press with one hand at the combine https://sports.yahoo.com/shaquem-griffin-just-put-20-reps-bench-press-one-hand-combine-204558807.html
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:28 am

Courtland Sutton is looking good at the combine. He is projected to go any where from 10-20. If he falls to 24th, I would have to take him. Sutton has skills and is ripped, he already has a TO or Julio body.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 7, 2018 10:13 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Courtland Sutton is looking good at the combine. He is projected to go any where from 10-20. If he falls to 24th, I would have to take him. Sutton has skills and is ripped, he already has a TO or Julio body.

I'm all for drafting a WR in the draft at some point just not in the first round.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ATL Boy » Thu Mar 8, 2018 5:29 am

HMFFL wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Courtland Sutton is looking good at the combine. He is projected to go any where from 10-20. If he falls to 24th, I would have to take him. Sutton has skills and is ripped, he already has a TO or Julio body.

I'm all for drafting a WR in the draft at some point just not in the first round.

Agreed. Round one needs to be used to address the trenches.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 12:29 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

If Vita Vea falls to the Falcons, then take, him, if not, take the best talent on the board that is not DE, ILB, and QB, because the Falcons can probably get Da'Ron Payne, Taven Bryan, or BJ Hill in the second round, and Falcons could probably pick up Trenton Thompson in the second round. No point in reaching for a lineman and letting a talent pass by when you have the 2nd and 3rd round.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ATL Boy » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:19 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

If Vita Vea falls to the Falcons, then take, him, if not, take the best talent on the board that is not DE, ILB, and QB, because the Falcons can probably get Da'Ron Payne, Taven Bryan, or BJ Hill in the second round, and Falcons could probably pick up Trenton Thompson in the second round. No point in reaching for a lineman and letting a talent pass by when you have the 2nd and 3rd round.

There's virtually no chance of Payne falling to us in the 2nd. If Vea or Payne aren't there in round 1 I'd like to take Isaiah Wynn for the O-Line, or maybe trade back into the early 2nd and take James Daniels. I think it would be a mistake if we don't use that pick to really address the O or D line.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 8, 2018 4:39 pm

PFF mock draft: Atlanta Falcons stay local with 26th pick

G Isaiah Wynn, Georgia

Need and value match up well here for the Falcons as they go into the offseason with a big hole at guard and Wynn is a perfect transition to convert from left tackle to guard at the next level. He ranked fifth among draft-class tackles with a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.7 and he plays with natural leverage in the run game that translated to an 88.6 grade last season. https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/3/7/17094900/pff-mock-draft-atlanta-falcons-stay-local-with-26th-pick
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 am

Return to Atlanta Falcons