Will Atlanta Look to Upgrade at QB?

Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Will Atlanta Look to Upgrade at QB? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:22 pm

With each passing week where the Vikings lose despite big numbers from Kirk Cousins and the Jets lose because of Zach Wilson's poor play, speculation about a trade between the two teams continues to grow. Here's another thing to ponder: What if the Jets aren't the only potential suitor in a Cousins trade? For a few reasons, the Atlanta Falcons are worth keeping in mind as a dark horse team that could consider trading for Cousins.

Three weeks into the season, the Falcons are 2-1 despite 2022 third-round pick Desmond Ridder ranking 29th in QBR. He plays in a run-heavy offense, but Ridder has completed just 62.5 percent of his passes for 553 yards, with two touchdowns and an interception.

In a wide-open NFC South, the Falcons could theoretically choose to pursue an upgrade at quarterback at some point. Head coach Arthur Smith was previously with the Titans, where he coached a player who has been compared to Cousins quite a bit over the years: Ryan Tannehill. Adding Cousins to an offense featuring Bijan Robinson, Kyle Pitts, Drake London, and one of the league's best offensive lines could allow the Falcons to become more balanced in their attack. Adding Cousins to the Falcons wouldn't necessarily make them a contender the same way it would for the Jets, but they could certainly make a run to the playoffs while evaluating if the 35-year-old quarterback is a fit for their future.

Plus, Cousins might be open to waiving his clause and agreeing to a trade to Atlanta because of his ties to the area. His wife Julie is from the area, the two were married there, and their family still spends time there in the offseason. It's a longshot, to be clear, but crazier things have happened. If the Vikings do eventually decide to ask Cousins if he'd waive his no-trade clause, the Jets are the most logical suitor, but the Falcons may not be all that far behind. It's difficult to think of another team that would make sense, barring an injury.
SI.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Will Atlanta Look to Upgrade at QB? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 4, 2023 12:45 pm

Justin Fields to Atlanta floating around NFL Twitter....

Thoughts?

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:04 pm

NFL Teams That Should Pursue Kirk Cousins Trade

Atlanta Falcons

The Atlanta Falcons are chock-full of talented skill-position players whom the franchise expended first-round picks on over the last few years, but their development is currently being squandered by a lack of competence under center. The team didn't have an heir-apparent to Matt Ryan on the roster when it traded the longtime starter away following the 2021 campaign and has since relied on veteran journeyman Marcus Mariota and 2022 third-round pick Desmond Ridder to run the offense.

Mariota lasted less than a full season before Atlanta's coaching staff handed the reins to Ridder. While the Cincinnati product didn't completely underwhelm in his rookie season—he completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 708 yards and two touchdowns while avoiding any interceptions and posting a 2-2 record in his four starts—it didn't inspire much confidence either. The 24-year-old hasn't displayed much growth in Year 2, and while he's taken the team to a 3-2 record while connecting on 65.4 percent of his throws for 1,073 yards and four touchdowns, he's also tossed interceptions and has done a poor job getting some of his top pass-catchers involved.

Kyle Pitts is noticeably struggling with Ridder under center. The tight end was regarded as a can't-miss prospect when he was taken No. 4 overall in 2021 and had a strong rookie season—finishing with 1,026 yards and a touchdown on 68 receptions—but saw his sophomore campaign derailed by injury and inconsistency. Things have not gotten better in 2023, with Pitts reeling in just 18 passes for 208 yards thus far.

Drake London, the team's first-round pick last year, is also slumping. After securing 72 passes for 866 yards and four touchdowns last year, the USC product isn't on pace to make a leap after hauling in a meager 17 passes for 204 yards and two scores in 2023.

While some of these disappointing performances can be attributed to the presence of Bijan Robinson—the generational running back prospect who the Falcons landed at No. 8 overall this year—and the workload he's taken on, much of the blame can be attributed to Ridder's mediocre play. Upgrading to Kirk Cousins might be the shot in the arm this offense needs to ascend from the middle of the pack into the upper echelon.

Cousins clearly understands how to get his top pass-catchers involved and has been responsible for developing two wideouts into stars since arriving in Minnesota. Adam Thielen had his best season after Cousins signed with the Vikings in 2018, catching a career-high 113 passes for 1,373 yards to go along with nine touchdowns that year. Cousins also helped elevate Justin Jefferson to the league's best wideout, evidenced by his incredible 360 receptions for 5,396 yards and 28 touchdowns over his first 55 career games.

It may not be time to give up on Ridder's chances of becoming a viable starting quarterback, but it's obvious he's not ready to maximize the talent on this roster yet either. Making a move to acquire Cousins would allow him more time to develop on the bench and allow the Falcons to contend until he's ready to take over again.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:08 pm

Read on Twitter
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#7 » by graymule » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:23 pm

:cry:

Ridder benched again. After last Suday's one TD game, he's gotta go back to the bench.
Looks like Atlanta will again be searching for a new QB when next year's draft rolls around.
Who should we be expecting?

:cry: :cry:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:39 am

graymule wrote::cry:

Ridder benched again. After last Suday's one TD game, he's gotta go back to the bench.
Looks like Atlanta will again be searching for a new QB when next year's draft rolls around.
Who should we be expecting?

:cry: :cry:
I must admit that I'm a Ridder supporter. Like anyone, he needs to improve, but he's lost his second for the season, unless something dramatic changes. I believe Coach has been very bad, the playcalling has been bad, and nobody on the offense seems to be utilized properly.

I'd like for us to find a QB in free agency or via trade.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#9 » by graymule » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:48 pm

:oops:

After the latest snow job (Chicago) I believe more strongly than ever that a new QB and a new head coach
will be coming to Atlanta. How low can you go?

:oops: :oops:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 6, 2024 1:47 pm

Jim Harbaugh is probably the best coaching candidate but with Blank fire his good friends son? Our coaching staff failed us.

I expect us to go QB early in the draft. In the first round is what I expect if Penix is available.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:07 pm

^
Actually, Eric Bieniemy would be my top choice.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:45 am

New OC Zac has a way with retread QBs:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:01 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2024 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:37 am

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:56 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Image
Cousins is looking for a huge guaranteed contract. If it's a 2yr or 3yr deal sign me up. I have had season tickets for 22 years and I need this ream to host some playoff games.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:19 pm

HMFFL wrote:Cousins is looking for a huge guaranteed contract. If it's a 2yr or 3yr deal sign me up. I have had season tickets for 22 years and I need this ream to host some playoff games.

My mom managed the VIP Gate at the old Georgia Dome in the late '90s.

Including that Super Bowl run in 98. This (potential) Cousins signing feels awfully reminiscent of the Chris Chandler acquisition back then.

Return to Atlanta Falcons