ImageImageImage

Atlanta Falcons 2007 Draft Thread

Moderator: HMFFL

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,823

Atlanta Falcons 2007 Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by TylersLakers » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:12 pm

I thought I would start a thread about the upcoming draft. We have several needs, and alot of quality picks. So I'll start of a mock draft of what we should do.

1st Round (8th Overall): Levi Brown, LT, Penn State
With all the hype that Laron Landry is getting, I think he'll get picked 7th overall by Minnesota, unfortunately. Now, if Adrian Peterson falls to that spot, I think we need to jump on it. But, I see us solidifying our offensive line problems, and begin the transition to bigger guys on the line. I think Levi Brown, LT, Penn State will be our pick.

2nd Round (39th Overall): Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami
With our huge need at free safety not being filled in the first round, this is definitely the pick here. He has first round talent, but the draft is loaded with quality safeties. If he is gone, Eric Weddle from Utah or Michael Griffin from Texas are the other options.

2nd Round (44th Overall): Ben Grubbs, LG, Auburn
I'm not sure on Fonoti starting on opening day, so we also have to address LG in the draft. Grubbs is a perfect fit for Coach Petrino's new blocking style, requiring big, strong, offensive lineman. Other possibilities if he's not on the board are Aaron Sears.

3rd Round (75th overall): Ray McDonald, DE, Florida
With Patrick Kerney leaving to the Seahawks, DE is a position we need to address. Giving Chauncey Davis some competition would be a good thing. McDonald was the perfect complement to Jarvis Moss, who is a speed rusher, just like John Abraham. Maybe he's a backup in the rotation for his first season, and starting by next year.

4th Round (109th overall): Micheal Bush, RB, Louisville
Petrino gets his powerback here. After a SECOND knee surgery, I see him slipping to this point, and it's a shame because he has first round talent when healthy. Other possibilities if he is off the board, would be DeShawn Wynn from Florida, but we might be able to wait another round to grab him.

4th Round (121st Overall): Chris Denman, T, Fresno State
Someone please tell me, WHY, did the Falcons re-sign Todd Weiner to a huge contract late in this last season, when they knew they would most likely bring in a new head coach? Well, here's a replacement for the future in 1-3 years. This guy is a beast, and I would want a 6'7" mammoth protecting Mike Vick any day of the week.

4th Round (133rd Overall): Ryan Smith, CB, Florida
With Jason Webster halfway out the door, Ryan Smith is the pick here. He has great athleticism, and he just makes plays out of the secondary. He transferred to Florida, and was probably the surprise of the defense, in my opinion.

5th Round (149th Overall): Dallas Bakker, WR, Florida
Yeah, I know what you're saying. "ANOTHER GATOR!?", well.. We're not going to find more of a steal with the WR position then the Touchdown Maker in the 5th round. He's a tall receiver at 6'4", and he has great leaping ability and great athleticism. He would be excellent in the red zone, and I think he would be an excellent pick.

6th Round (185th Overall): Jason Medlock, K, UCLA
Kicker is a definite need for us with Mort unlikely to be brought back. (I have no clue why) So, with this pick, we need to grab Medlock. It would be a great idea to bring back Mort and be a mentor to him.

7th Round (244th Overall): Larry Brown, DT, Oklahoma State
[color=red] With Grady's situation getting ugly, and Rod Coleman starting to climb in age, this is a safe pick, even if nothing comes out of it. DT is a need for us in a couple years, and if we could stash him on the practice roster for 1 or 2 years, and he could come in and be a surprise rotation player, it's a good pick.

We have alot of quality picks, and if we can use them and get most of them to pan out, it would be great for us, and contribute to a possible deep playoff run for us.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,139

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:16 am

Nice post TylersLakers.
Coxtradaumus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Coxtradaumus » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:04 am

:clap:
I'm not sure about Bush being available in the 4th.
I think they might have to draft him in the 3rd
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by lpsevier » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm all for us getting Bush, but I hope Landry doesn't go before 8 - because I don't think Brown is worth the 8th pick.

Do you think Meriweather falls that far?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:18 pm

I would be shocked if Micheal Bush fell to us during the 4th round, so I also believe we would need to consider him during the 3rd round, but it depends on how badly we want to gamble. The GM has more inside information so I trust Rich to make the right decisions.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#6 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:38 pm

lpsevier wrote:I'm all for us getting Bush, but I hope Landry doesn't go before 8 - because I don't think Brown is worth the 8th pick.

Do you think Meriweather falls that far?

Yeah, on most mocks I have seen, Meriweather has been drafed sometime in the early to mid second round.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:02 pm

Petrino Looks to Bolster Defense Through Draft

http://falcons.aolsportsblog.com/2007/0 ... ugh-draft/
FlightNo.23
Senior

Post#8 » by FlightNo.23 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:11 pm

Well Michael Bush just underwent surgery recently which may seriously damper his draft prospects.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by lpsevier » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:10 pm

I think Bush makes it to the 4th round.
Mjburne
Ballboy

Post#10 » by Mjburne » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:43 pm

I can dream about trading up for Calvin, right? Right? But yeah I would be more than happy with Landry at 8.
beater97
Starter
And1: 2

Post#11 » by beater97 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:51 pm

I too would love to get CJ but the chances of that are pretty/very bad so I guess Landry will be good.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#12 » by TylersLakers » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:00 pm

Yeah, I would love to trade for CJ, too. But, at what cost?

Without a doubt it would cost us our 8th pick, probably one or both second round picks, and possibly a next years 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. That's a hefty price, especially with the needs that we have.

FS
LT
DE
LG
Power RB
CB Depth

I just think it's too much, and we need all the picks that we have. You wont find many start ready offensive lineman in the 4th round.

Any of you other guys have a mock that you could do? I've been looking alot at the draft the past couple months, so I have alot of college knowledge right now. :lol:

Return to Atlanta Falcons