Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Re: Game 44: Sixers @ Warriors Game Thread 

Post#221 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:20 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Klay’s offense isn’t needed with JK’s rise. What’s needed is defense to cover for Curry. Klay is not going to defend any power forwards. Wth?

Graduate from the Steve Kerr school of smol ball defense?

If we really want a good offense we need Curry, Dray, Klay, Kuminga and a screen setter or good Wiggins.

Klay and Kuminga do different things and they do not replace each other. Yes Klay is less needed if Kuminga is scoring well.

If you want the Warriors offense to improve then improving the defense is the answer. Yesterday the defense fed into the offense leading to fast break opportunities and surprise attacks. You don’t get that with Klay.

With a bad defense, the other team will score and get back to a set defense making scoring an uphill climb.

We seemed slow as a team defensively 1st half season.

Playing Draymond at center and playing Kuminga makes the team faster. I get nervous about playing Draymond at center because Draymond may wear himself out battling with guys that are bigger and stronger than him. But what do we have to lose.

Until Looney gets back to being Looney I think we should just play Draymond at center.

We get better on offense with Draymond at center not that Looney is not a good screen setter and passer but replacing Looney with Kuminga definitely improves the offense. Kuminga has the body to be a good rebounder but he is a poor rebounder for a 6’ 8” guy. If I view Kuminga as a Hurd then Kuminga is not a poor rebounder.

I think Wiggins has returned to being good Wiggins.
So with the 5th spot do I give it to Klay, Moody or Trayce?
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#222 » by Dubs 707 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:10 pm

He's 6'7

Where'd you get 6'8 from?
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
vvoland
Senior
And1: 130

Post#223 » by vvoland » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:58 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

If we really want a good offense we need Curry, Dray, Klay, Kuminga and a screen setter or good Wiggins.

Klay and Kuminga do different things and they do not replace each other. Yes Klay is less needed if Kuminga is scoring well.

If you want the Warriors offense to improve then improving the defense is the answer. Yesterday the defense fed into the offense leading to fast break opportunities and surprise attacks. You don’t get that with Klay.

With a bad defense, the other team will score and get back to a set defense making scoring an uphill climb.

Playing Draymond at center and playing Kuminga makes the team faster. I get nervous about playing Draymond at center because Draymond may wear himself out battling with guys that are bigger and stronger than him. But what do we have to lose.

Until Looney gets back to being Looney I think we should just play Draymond at center.

We get better on offense with Draymond at center not that Looney is not a good screen setter and passer but replacing Looney with Kuminga definitely improves the offense. Kuminga has the body to be a good rebounder but he is a poor rebounder for a 6’ 8” guy. If I view Kuminga as a Hurd then Kuminga is not a poor rebounder.

Kuminga has been rebounding much better this season despite still missing the occasional box out, forgetting to crash the defense and offensive glass and guarding a ton of perimeter players. 4.5 Reb on the season in 24 minutes is 6.8reb/36. Not amazing for a combo forward but not "poor." In january, with an uptick in minutes and playing more of the 4, he's averaging 5.8 in Jan and 8 in his last 5 games. As with everything we see from JK, he's trending up.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,131

Post#224 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:23 am

I'd blame Kerr more than Klay, simply because Kerr can fix this right now, Klay cannot. Klay just plays, and one of the things he said earlier in the year is the mentality most pro athletes have - "You want me to bench me?"

He's never gonna do that, even if he wasn't expiring and looking for an extension. He's just gonna play.. and who's letting him do that? That's why I'll put it mostly on Kerr.. if he slashed Klay's minutes and made him the bench gunner he needs to be right now, fans probably arent zeroing in on Klay like they have all season. He's losing fan goodwill at an alarming rate.. and funny enough, Kerr is too
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#225 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:35 am

vvoland wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:If you want the Warriors offense to improve then improving the defense is the answer. Yesterday the defense fed into the offense leading to fast break opportunities and surprise attacks. You don’t get that with Klay.

Kuminga has been rebounding much better this season despite still missing the occasional box out, forgetting to crash the defense and offensive glass and guarding a ton of perimeter players. 4.5 Reb on the season in 24 minutes is 6.8reb/36. Not amazing for a combo forward but not "poor." In january, with an uptick in minutes and playing more of the 4, he's averaging 5.8 in Jan and 8 in his last 5 games. As with everything we see from JK, he's trending up.

Kuminga is still a sub standard rebounder for a power forward or for any 6’ 8” guy.

With Kuminga being faster than the other 6’ 8” guys and jumping higher than the other 6’ 8” guys I expect Kuminga to be an above average rebounder compared to the other 6’ 8” guys.

Not boxing out may be an issue but what I have seen is that Kuminga’s 1st step towards rebounds is delayed. It is like Kuminga is in an Olympic sprint and the official fires the starter gun and everybody else runs 2 steps before Kuminga takes his 1st step. Then we wonder how Kuminga loses the race when Kuminga is faster than those guys but the other guys are starting the race before Kuminga starts his race.

Wiseman was the same way. I wonderred if the coaches somehow caused a Kuminga and Wiseman to stand still thinking instead of reacting to the rebound because in 35 years of following a home team in the NBA I had never seen a team that had 2 guys Kuminga and Wiseman reacting so slowly to rebounds.

Curry and Podz are opposite of Kuminga and Wiseman. Curry and Podz seem to be heading for where the rebound will drop almost before the ball even hits the rim.
vvoland
Senior

Post#226 » by vvoland » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:55 am

vvoland wrote:

Kuminga is still a sub standard rebounder for a power forward or for any 6’ 8” guy.

With Kuminga being faster than the other 6’ 8” guys and jumping higher than the other 6’ 8” guys I expect Kuminga to be an above average rebounder compared to the other 6’ 8” guys.

Not boxing out may be an issue but what I have seen is that Kuminga’s 1st step towards rebounds is delayed. It is like Kuminga is in an Olympic sprint and the official fires the starter gun and everybody else runs 2 steps before Kuminga takes his 1st step. Then we wonder how Kuminga loses the race when Kuminga is faster than those guys but the other guys are starting the race before Kuminga starts his race.

Wiseman was the same way. I wonderred if the coaches somehow caused a Kuminga and Wiseman to stand still thinking instead of reacting to the rebound because in 35 years of following a home team in the NBA I had never seen a team that had 2 guys Kuminga and Wiseman reacting so slowly to rebounds.

Curry and Podz are opposite of Kuminga and Wiseman. Curry and Podz seem to be heading for where the rebound will drop almost before the ball even hits the rim.

He's not playing 4 on defense and is away from the rim a ton. He is slow to react, as was Wiseman, and the common factor is less warriors than a lack of basketball feel. I am hopeful it's something JK can acquire as he seems to be a hard working, ulta competitive kid who actually hasn't played a ton of ball in his life.

Podz and Curry are the opposite because they have an innate instinct for the game and are always a step ahead. Just remember, JK is 21 and has improved his game in almost every area. I am hopeful he'll be a more instinctive player the more he actually plays. It's the main reason it's almost criminal that Kerr played him so little the first two years. If he was where he is now during last year's playoffs, we probably beat the lakers.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,403

Post#227 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:06 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

They can the give the spot to Saric and still be better than Klay defensively. There were many possessions where Klay looked like he was stoned. He literally watched his man score without doing anything. Also he and CP3 are most guilty of giving up on plays. Maybe because they realize they have no chance or they are just so old they don’t want to chase. That extra effort getting back makes a difference between winning and losing. A possession here or there and they win some close games.

If you watch some replays, it’s the youngest running back on defense to prevent an easy bucket. It’s really sad to see CP3 and Klay jogging back. They are always on the farthest side of the screen during a fast break. If they are playing with Curry, it compounds the fact they are old, slow, and smol. That’s some fireable offense by Kerr playing the team handicapped all the time. I suggested the Kuminga and Wiggins lineup at least a month ago on this board so it is documented. The media also followed up and there was pressure on Kerr and now the team is better off. It’s not like Kerr wouldn’t run a 3 guard lineup otherwise. This year, the media and organization has had to force Kerr’s hands into doing the right thing, which is ridiculous. I hope he didn’t come to the idea of JK and Wiggs after being notified from a message board and external forces.

There were even members on this board criticizing the move when suggested because of stats and stuff.
vvoland
Senior

Post#228 » by vvoland » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:38 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:If you want the Warriors offense to improve then improving the defense is the answer. Yesterday the defense fed into the offense leading to fast break opportunities and surprise attacks. You don’t get that with Klay.

They can the give the spot to Saric and still be better than Klay defensively. There were many possessions where Klay looked like he was stoned. He literally watched his man score without doing anything. Also he and CP3 are most guilty of giving up on plays. Maybe because they realize they have no chance or they are just so old they don’t want to chase. That extra effort getting back makes a difference between winning and losing. A possession here or there and they win some close games.

If you watch some replays, it’s the youngest running back on defense to prevent an easy bucket. It’s really sad to see CP3 and Klay jogging back. They are always on the farthest side of the screen during a fast break. If they are playing with Curry, it compounds the fact they are old, slow, and smol. That’s some fireable offense by Kerr playing the team handicapped all the time. I suggested the Kuminga and Wiggins lineup at least a month ago on this board so it is documented. The media also followed up and there was pressure on Kerr and now the team is better off. It’s not like Kerr wouldn’t run a 3 guard lineup otherwise. This year, the media and organization has had to force Kerr’s hands into doing the right thing, which is ridiculous. I hope he didn’t come to the idea of JK and Wiggs after being notified from a message board and external forces.

There were even members on this board criticizing the move when suggested because of stats and stuff.

Steve tried to play JK and Wigs together earlier in the year and it was awful. To be fair, Wigs was awful with everyone but it looked worse with JK. With Dray back, that frontcourt looks good but a lot of that is due to Wigs looking like he cares and having more confidence in his shot. He was so bad the first 2.5 months and no one can tell why.

Also, Saric is an atrocious defender and is targeted consistently by backup players. If he was not such a stationary target, he'd be a starter on most teams.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,403

Post#229 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:46 am

vvoland wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Steve tried to play JK and Wigs together earlier in the year and it was awful. To be fair, Wigs was awful with everyone but it looked worse with JK. With Dray back, that frontcourt looks good but a lot of that is due to Wigs looking like he cares and having more confidence in his shot. He was so bad the first 2.5 months and no one can tell why.

Also, Saric is an atrocious defender and is targeted consistently by backup players. If he was not such a stationary target, he'd be a starter on most teams.

Maybe he caught wind of trade rumors and played so bad no one wants him.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#230 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:51 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
vvoland wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:They can the give the spot to Saric and still be better than Klay defensively. There were many possessions where Klay looked like he was stoned. He literally watched his man score without doing anything. Also he and CP3 are most guilty of giving up on plays. Maybe because they realize they have no chance or they are just so old they don’t want to chase. That extra effort getting back makes a difference between winning and losing. A possession here or there and they win some close games.

Maybe he caught wind of trade rumors and played so bad no one wants him.

In that case Wiggins recent good play is too soon. Wiggins should have continued playing bad until the trade deadline passed.

Keeping Wiggins became like a draft pick. You hope it isn’t a bust. Wiggins potential to return to 2022 Wiggins is so high but it might not happen. Keeping Wiggins and hoping he becomes 2022 Wiggins is the right move.

Trade Chris Paul and draft picks for Dejounte Murray.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,846

Post#231 » by floppymoose » Thu Feb 1, 2024 1:43 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:The deeper the dive, the more clear it becomes.. Klay has to go, since Kerr refuses to evaluate on a level playing field. Never forget that Kerr’s as much to blame for this as anyone.. all the online vitriol for Klay is because of him more than Klay

I mean Kerr deserves some blame, but more than Klay? Kerr has gotten Wiggins, Iguodala, CP3, Dray and Curry to come off the bench. So obviously he can communicate with big time players and get them to buy in for what's best for the team. Klay is the outlier in this situation. So yea Kerr not being able to get Klay to buy in, is partially on Kerr, but the majority has to be on Klay since Kerr has been able to do it with just about everyone else.

Its Klay. Kerr has done fine without Klay. Klay (and many other ex-Warriors) have not done fine without Kerr.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#232 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:54 pm

floppymoose wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:The deeper the dive, the more clear it becomes.. Klay has to go, since Kerr refuses to evaluate on a level playing field. Never forget that Kerr’s as much to blame for this as anyone.. all the online vitriol for Klay is because of him more than Klay

I mean Kerr deserves some blame, but more than Klay? Kerr has gotten Wiggins, Iguodala, CP3, Dray and Curry to come off the bench. So obviously he can communicate with big time players and get them to buy in for what's best for the team. Klay is the outlier in this situation. So yea Kerr not being able to get Klay to buy in, is partially on Kerr, but the majority has to be on Klay since Kerr has been able to do it with just about everyone else.

Its Klay. Kerr has done fine without Klay. Klay (and many other ex-Warriors) have not done fine without Kerr.

Klay is responsible for how he plays yes, but Kerr is responsible for when and how much he plays. If Kerr had been playing Jordan Bell a gazillion minutes and sabotaging the team he would bear at least some responsibility for the results.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,184

Post#233 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:23 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
Onus wrote:I mean Kerr deserves some blame, but more than Klay? Kerr has gotten Wiggins, Iguodala, CP3, Dray and Curry to come off the bench. So obviously he can communicate with big time players and get them to buy in for what's best for the team. Klay is the outlier in this situation. So yea Kerr not being able to get Klay to buy in, is partially on Kerr, but the majority has to be on Klay since Kerr has been able to do it with just about everyone else.

Klay is responsible for how he plays yes, but Kerr is responsible for when and how much he plays. If Kerr had been playing Jordan Bell a gazillion minutes and sabotaging the team he would bear at least some responsibility for the results.
Hey, you leave Jordan Bell out of this. He’s kicking ass for the Mad Ants, just waiting for a call from MDj
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.

Return to Golden State Warriors