ImageImageImageImageImage

2/3 Game 45: Warriors (21-24) @ Hawks (21-27) 4:30pm PST

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Re: 2/3 Game 45: Warriors (21-24) @ Hawks (21-27) 4:30pm PST 

Post#241 » by HiRez » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:32 am

There's a lot of analysis you can do on Klay (defensively especially) but it comes down to you can't have the 7th-best non-front-court shooting player putting up the 2nd-most shots on the team, it's that simple.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#242 » by jozef » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:54 am

As I expected according to boxscore we wasted Kuminga on Young (I hate that tactics) and played small lineup (TJD only 8 minutes).
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#243 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:57 am

Romulus wrote:Since the start of the 2021-22 season
The warriors are
74-71 when Klay plays
44-21 when Klay sits.

And yet, I just read a tweet from a Warrior writer informing all fans that Klay won't be traded. Why the hell NOT?

Another nugget I stumbled upon during that span:

Steph + dray w/ no klay = 33-8
Steph+dray+klay = 36-34
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#244 » by bicycle » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:05 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Guys here are so desperate for Moody to play. If Moody was healthy a Wiggins injury would create minutes for Moody.

I think our board overrates Moodt.

I think there's a natural thing people do where the idea of some other guy always seems better by comparison Grass is always greener and all that. If Moody was getting Klay's minutes we'd see the holes in his game. But since the season is practically already lost we should be giving Moody the chance to find those holes in his game so he can come back better next year. Klay isn't gonna get better, he's only gonna get paid, probably overpaid too.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,319

Post#245 » by Impuniti » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:13 am

SinceGatling, Moody might be a poor choice. The point is less about whether he is or is not, but that we never saw it as a chance. I don't know if Moody is the answer, I would just like to see him as an option over Klay whether it works or not (with Wiggins, Dray, JK).
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 463

Post#246 » by superunknown » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:00 am

but seriously how someone in his right mind still doubts that moody wouldn't be an improvement over this version of klay?
you must be a real homie....
it's not about moody being the answer, it's about being presentable on the floor, especially on the defensive end of the ball. klay is not. period.
so who gives a damn if moody is a great choice or has holes in is game, at least he's not a walking defensive liability or the guy who constantly killing you with his awful shot selection and giving up plays.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#247 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:48 pm

Some positives:

Even with everyone but steph missing shots.

We were still playing great defense when they were on the floor. Before wiggins got hurt it was a 112 drtg in the 1h, then it ballooned close to 130 drtg in the 2h.

As great as dray is defensively, he needs his defensive Robin. And I think that guy is Wiggins which allows allows the other pieces to fall in place.

There really is something cooking here, you can see the glimmer of an elite defense.

Even adding klay, they had a 92 drtg which is elite in a game they gave up 140 pts.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#248 » by jozef » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:56 pm

Frozzy wrote:Every Klank almost always leads to an easy bucket in transition for the opposing team

You're **** crazy if you think Klay would take a lesser role. Dude just doesn't get it even when he says all the right things in interviews.

No Klank led to an easy bucket in transition.
Four Klanks were rebounded back to Warriors - cause they are mostly good shots.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#249 » by jozef » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:00 pm

Coxy wrote:Embarassing, limp, flaccid.

Anyone else got some words that best describe our interior defence?

UNDERSIZED.
We had few minutes when our interior defense was great cause of Dray and TJD playing together. Unfortunately we put JK at SF so we lost any spacing and hurted our offense...
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,131

Post#250 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:17 pm

bicycle wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Guys here are so desperate for Moody to play. If Moody was healthy a Wiggins injury would create minutes for Moody.

I think there's a natural thing people do where the idea of some other guy always seems better by comparison Grass is always greener and all that. If Moody was getting Klay's minutes we'd see the holes in his game. But since the season is practically already lost we should be giving Moody the chance to find those holes in his game so he can come back better next year. Klay isn't gonna get better, he's only gonna get paid, probably overpaid too.

The issue is that its year 3 and we have no idea whether or not Moody could succeed in that role, and why people are pushing for it is because he's shown a lot of signs of being able to succeed in that role. It defies logic why we aren't sure of it yet going into the trade deadline of his 3rd season
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,242

Post#251 » by cpower » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:30 pm

Steve Kerr is absolutely killing us this season.. remember the Moody game, the Wiggins game and these Klay games? If he played the good player and bench the bad players we would have won at least 4-5 games more...just completely not trusting the facts and only play his favorites players
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#252 » by Sandy333 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:23 pm

bicycle wrote:

Emergence of kuminga podz show Kerr's player development is useless, might as well throw them into the game and let them figure it out and develop
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#253 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:34 pm

Development vs talent is not a debate anyone here is going to win. There are so many counterfactuals at work.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#254 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:26 pm

Kerr is playing Podz. Kerr is almost forced to play Podz but Kerr could play Cory Joseph.

If Moody and Payton were healthy Kerr might play them. When Kuminga became good enough to help the team win games now Kerr played Kuminga. Moody will get played if Moody earns the time.

Moody has to beat out Podz, Payton, Wiggins and Klay. Klay is taking tough shots and that would be valuable if Klay was doing better at hitting those shots.

Moody was not in direct completion with Chris Paul. If Podz beat out Chris Paul or beat out Cory Joseph getting Podz point guard minutes would reduce Podz off guard minutes which could create more minutes for Moody. But Moody would still need to beat out Payton.

Even if Kerr is biased towards playing his veterans Wiggins and Klay Kerr will play Moody or Payton more and Wiggins and Klay less if Moody or Payton plays well.

Moody’s biggest competition is Payton. Moody must beat out Payton. Too bad Moody and Payton are injured because one of them would be getting playing time if they were not injured.

Moody is not really a replacement for Klay when Klay is playing well. I don’t think Moody can succeed at being efficient while forcing up shots. Moody only taking the shots that are given to him is better than Klay forcing up shots and missing them.

Kuminga scoring does reduce the need for Klay to score on difficult shots which reduces Klay’s advantage over Moody.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#255 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:27 pm

Moody is coming back soon and GPII is probably out for a while longer. This season is over so it would be dumb as all hell to keep Moody past the trade deadline only to sit him on the bench.

That would be the **** all to this **** all season.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#256 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:38 pm

Payton is disruptive on defense. Payton may not be all that special at standard conservative defense but Payton makes things happen.

Moody I see as more of a guy that is good at basic defense but not all that disruptive.

If I had to replace what Wiggins is good at on defense do I choose Kuminga, Moody or Klay Payton? I think each of the has a different piece of what Wiggins is good at on defense. Klay knows what he should do. Moody has some length and stays in front of a man. Kuminga can keep a hand in a face and is a threat to block any shot. Payton works the hardest and crowds people and might strip the ball from the dribbler.

Role best off Klay and 2016 Klay and Kuminga and a Moody and Payton and Quinones into one player that replaces Santos and takes minutes from everybody and we would be cooking. Then add best of 2016 Curry and Dray to their current selves. Add 2016 Bogut to Trayce to make a 7 foot Trayce and a mobile Bogut. Done. That would be a championship team even if Looney Wiggins and Klay don’t play at 2022 level and Chris Paul is out for the rest of the season.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#257 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:46 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Payton is disruptive on defense. Payton may not be all that special at standard conservative defense but Payton makes things happen.

Moody I see as more of a guy that is good at basic defense but not all that disruptive.

What is your point? Nobody disagrees with this.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#258 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:25 pm

EvanZ wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Payton is disruptive on defense. Payton may not be all that special at standard conservative defense but Payton makes things happen.

What is your point? Nobody disagrees with this.

Payton and Moody are different. A coach may choose one or the other depending on what they feel like will work.

I don’t have a clear picture of who between Payton, Moody and Podz is the better player. Chris Paul getting injured increases the need for what Podz does on offense.

If I needed to defend a quick point guard I think Payton is my choice but I think Payton’s gift is disruption more than it is pure speed. We actually have nobody to defend Peak Dane Lillard or any very fast point very good point guard. We have nobody to defend 2008 Chris Paul. Current Chris Paul can’t defend 2008 Chris Paul.

2016 peak Klay was not fast but just fast enough to defend guys that Curry could not stay in front of by using perfect foot work and length rather than by using speed.

Moody is probably faster than 2916 Klay and Moody has the length to do what 2016 Klay did but I don’t Moody knows how to do what 2016 Klay did with the perfect foot work and biting just enough on the offensive player’s moves without biting too hard.

Return to Golden State Warriors