ImageImageImageImageImage

Steph out a game or maybe a few according to Shams

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Re: Steph out a game or maybe a few according to Shams 

Post#41 » by Onus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:37 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:It would not surprise me to see kerr start cp3 and klay.

I kind of hope he starts Klay instead of cp3. Though I think I would want podz/moody/wiggins/jk/dray. Let’s just play lock down defense.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,109

Post#42 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:05 am

whocurrz wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Trying to replace Curry is not a good plan

The team is extremely different without him and replacing him with a slow, mediocre scoring near-retiree will get the results that most expect. Because data exists showing that CP3 has only really been effective with fellow slow, half court types. And playing him with Dray helps neither of them

I know you do your research and I respect your
analysis of players beyond raw stats (like Wiggins who many people love to crucify because of stats). So I’m curious about the data and any realConclusions we can draw an about The effectiveness of lineups with CP3 and large wings. I’m sure a CP3/ Moody/ Wiggins/
JK/ Draymond lineup doesn’t have significant minutes. And although aging isn’t a linear progression CP3 has a decorated career of generating successful offenses with lineups of all types (regardless of who he’s played with here).

He does have that track record of success, but not with all types. He has thrived in slow, halfcourt offenses. He has to, because part of his defensive track record is slowing the pace enough to not let other teams run. Problem is for the Warriors, thats usually a large net negative, especially for guys like Kuminga, Moody, TJD, and Wiggins - all of whom are young or not the sharpest spoons in the drawer

It'd be tough to track his success with bigger wings (mainly because big wings is a bit of a misnomer - I think what style they play is most important. GP2 is PG sized but really profiles like a defensive forward, etc etc)

And honestly I think that’s an experiment worth running. Mostly because I think a CP3 shooting well can help maintain a solid balanced offense more than any other Curry replacement. Truthfully he has been trying to fit in here too much and hasn’t maximized himself yet. CP3’s been playing nicely and effectively for us but he can still be that assassin we’ve hated for years. And I think he has an extra gear to reach, which if he does actually makes us a contender. I love Podz but unless he is hitting a crazy percentage he just doesn’t raise Our ceiling to the level an actualized CP3 does.

CP3's perimeter shooting has been very inconsistent though. The lineup Kerr is starting tonight has a really big outside shooting problem. A 37% 3pt shooter on moderate volume is fine if there's a lot backing it up, but their isn't. His playmaking is based mostly on PnR, with a little perimeter movement (not much more than others) and he's not much for the drive and kick these days, as teams are allowing him to take the midrange where he's shooting in the mid 40s and also inconsistent

There are several players on this team that have thrived in fast pace (Wiggins, Dray, Kuminga, TJD) and there are others that have thrived in slow pace (Klay, CP3, Saric). Podz has thrived in both so its kinda a wash there

Point being though, the 3 that have thrived in slow pace.. they should play together. Nearly exclusively.. because all 3 are miserable team defenders. So their version of defense IS that slow pace that allows the runners time to rest, as the possessions with CP3 usually take 3-4 more SC seconds than with the running squad. It also turns 3 players who have some troubling peripherals into positives, basically playing to everyone's strengths. Could CP3 starting work? Absolutely.. but data says there is a much, much better option here. But its moot now.. Kerr has played it like Kerr has played everything this year. And we just aren't good enough to overcome that straightforward approach anymore. Warriors are no longer the most talented team in the league and need to think outside the box. But considering their 'outside the box' thinking was leaving Jaylen Brown wide open because of a horrible interpretation of data.. I dunno. Its tough to see the team winning with the mentality their coach has
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#43 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:21 am

Read on Twitter
Onus
RealGM

Post#44 » by Onus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:11 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we lose to the spurs twice without Steph … they’re going to rush him back aren’t we.
Onus
RealGM

Post#45 » by Onus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:13 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whocurrz wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Trying to replace Curry is not a good plan

The team is extremely different without him and replacing him with a slow, mediocre scoring near-retiree will get the results that most expect. Because data exists showing that CP3 has only really been effective with fellow slow, half court types. And playing him with Dray helps neither of them

I know you do your research and I respect your
analysis of players beyond raw stats (like Wiggins who many people love to crucify because of stats). So I’m curious about the data and any realConclusions we can draw an about The effectiveness of lineups with CP3 and large wings. I’m sure a CP3/ Moody/ Wiggins/
JK/ Draymond lineup doesn’t have significant minutes. And although aging isn’t a linear progression CP3 has a decorated career of generating successful offenses with lineups of all types (regardless of who he’s played with here).

He does have that track record of success, but not with all types. He has thrived in slow, halfcourt offenses. He has to, because part of his defensive track record is slowing the pace enough to not let other teams run. Problem is for the Warriors, thats usually a large net negative, especially for guys like Kuminga, Moody, TJD, and Wiggins - all of whom are young or not the sharpest spoons in the drawer

It'd be tough to track his success with bigger wings (mainly because big wings is a bit of a misnomer - I think what style they play is most important. GP2 is PG sized but really profiles like a defensive forward, etc etc)

And honestly I think that’s an experiment worth running. Mostly because I think a CP3 shooting well can help maintain a solid balanced offense more than any other Curry replacement. Truthfully he has been trying to fit in here too much and hasn’t maximized himself yet. CP3’s been playing nicely and effectively for us but he can still be that assassin we’ve hated for years. And I think he has an extra gear to reach, which if he does actually makes us a contender. I love Podz but unless he is hitting a crazy percentage he just doesn’t raise Our ceiling to the level an actualized CP3 does.

CP3's perimeter shooting has been very inconsistent though. The lineup Kerr is starting tonight has a really big outside shooting problem. A 37% 3pt shooter on moderate volume is fine if there's a lot backing it up, but their isn't. His playmaking is based mostly on PnR, with a little perimeter movement (not much more than others) and he's not much for the drive and kick these days, as teams are allowing him to take the midrange where he's shooting in the mid 40s and also inconsistent

There are several players on this team that have thrived in fast pace (Wiggins, Dray, Kuminga, TJD) and there are others that have thrived in slow pace (Klay, CP3, Saric). Podz has thrived in both so its kinda a wash there

Point being though, the 3 that have thrived in slow pace.. they should play together. Nearly exclusively.. because all 3 are miserable team defenders. So their version of defense IS that slow pace that allows the runners time to rest, as the possessions with CP3 usually take 3-4 more SC seconds than with the running squad. It also turns 3 players who have some troubling peripherals into positives, basically playing to everyone's strengths. Could CP3 starting work? Absolutely.. but data says there is a much, much better option here. But its moot now.. Kerr has played it like Kerr has played everything this year. And we just aren't good enough to overcome that straightforward approach anymore. Warriors are no longer the most talented team in the league and need to think outside the box. But considering their 'outside the box' thinking was leaving Jaylen Brown wide open because of a horrible interpretation of data.. I dunno. Its tough to see the team winning with the mentality their coach has

Kerr seems to be really bad at mixing and matching players or matching up with other teams. Was it Nick uren who thought of starting Andre over Bogut in 2015? What’s he doing? He seriously might be better for us.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,054

Post#46 » by Jester_ » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:33 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we lose to the spurs twice without Steph … they’re going to rush him back aren’t we.

Rush back, trade Podz for Drummond, Moody for a pick and cash

Two timelines baby
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#47 » by DevinVassell » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:03 pm

^That Kerr avatar is distressing. Almost spill my coffee in fright everytime it scrolls past.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#48 » by floppymoose » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:41 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stephen-curry-cleared-resume-court-210943675.html

Stephen Curry was cleared Tuesday to resume on-court activity as he recovers from his latest right ankle sprain, and if all goes well could rejoin the Golden State Warriors for practice Friday in Los Angeles.

The team provided an update on Curry's health after he was re-evaluated Tuesday and determined to be making “good progress.” He is scheduled to be examined again after the Friday workout. He will train in the Bay Area until then, missing Wednesday's game at Dallas. The Warriors play at the Lakers on Saturday night.

An MRI on Curry’s ankle last week revealed no structural damage.

Return to Golden State Warriors