ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,305

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#81 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Just listened to the Mike Dunleavy Junior press conference, and it was quite disappointing. Get ready for more of the same.

Our only hope is that the Magic offer an outrageous contract to Klay that we just can't match.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,305

Post#82 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm

actually i'd say the mdj interview was enlightening. He knows this team isn't enough. Wants more shooting, wants more size, knows that we win with defense.

The only thing was saying we want Klay back, which obviously he's going to say.

Have to remember he also was like JP is going to be here for 4 years and then traded him the next week.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#83 » by billinder33 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

Onus wrote:The only thing was saying we want Klay back, which obviously he's going to say.

Yeah, what do people here expect him to say about a Warrior legend, 4x champ, and future HOF'er?

"F** this old a** piece of crap, he's outta here!!"

People read way too much into these dog-and-pony shows.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#84 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:54 pm

If we don't sign Goga Bitadze I am finding a new team lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,095

Post#85 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Just listened to the Mike Dunleavy Junior press conference, and it was quite disappointing. Get ready for more of the same.

On the plus side, MDJ's press conferences have never revealed anything so far. He took over, said Jordan will be here for 4 years, then traded him right away.

He said defense is the #1 priority, then mentioned shooting, then size. Who knows what that will actually mean?

I generally expect to gleam nothing from a MDJ press conference, and I think he delivered. I'd love to get some hints but I think he always feels that giving information away in the media doesn't benefit at all when it's time to trade. I mean he said "we'll look at how we can bring Chris back" and all I could think of was he's saying this to try to at least squeeze some value from Chris in a potential trade using his salary. I don't think anyone internally actually expects to see CP3 back, it was always a 1 year thing unless we won a chip.

MDJ putting his foot down on key issues is our only hope. He drafted well, dropped our worst contract, let's hope the 2nd act is even better.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#86 » by killmongrel » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:If we don't sign Goga Bitadze I am finding a new team lol

If we're able to get the MLE, he's one of my targets.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#87 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 pm

Lets no start the rebuild until Curry retires.

Lets change our goal from chamionships to giving Steph a team that can win first round playoff series to give Steph 3 dignified years before he retires. We are not getting another chamionship in the next 10 years so don’t be afaid to trade draft picks.

We need a starting off guard. We need a 10 minute per game truly big 7 foot back up center to share minutes with Trayce and Looney and Draymond. We shoul have the option of not playing small.

Payton is aging and has a medium big tradable salary.
We need a defensive back up point guard that allows Curry to play some off guard on defense, allows the Warriors to be defensively fast, and replaces Minutes of Payton and Chris Paul.

We need a good off guard that pushes Klay to the bench.
Moody is not the answer to anything so package Moody off guard replacement for our trade partner with Chris Paul’s salary, cash to pay Chris Paul’s salary and luxury tax and draft picks to offset our tade parner giving up a good player for a good starting off guard.

Finished. Not a championship team but a respectable team for Curry, Klay and Dray to retire on.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,986

Post#88 » by whatisacenter » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:

On the plus side, MDJ's press conferences have never revealed anything so far. He took over, said Jordan will be here for 4 years, then traded him right away.

He said defense is the #1 priority, then mentioned shooting, then size. Who knows what that will actually mean?

I generally expect to gleam nothing from a MDJ press conference, and I think he delivered. I'd love to get some hints but I think he always feels that giving information away in the media doesn't benefit at all when it's time to trade. I mean he said "we'll look at how we can bring Chris back" and all I could think of was he's saying this to try to at least squeeze some value from Chris in a potential trade using his salary. I don't think anyone internally actually expects to see CP3 back, it was always a 1 year thing unless we won a chip.

MDJ putting his foot down on key issues is our only hope. He drafted well, dropped our worst contract, let's hope the 2nd act is even better.

That’s my hope is that this was just lip service and he is not gonna keep the core three together moving forward. But if he actually believes that the team was more the one to finish the season than the totality of the entire season, then he is buying fools gold.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#89 » by Impuniti » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm

Onus wrote:actually i'd say the mdj interview was enlightening. He knows this team isn't enough. Wants more shooting, wants more size, knows that we win with defense.

The only thing was saying we want Klay back, which obviously he's going to say.

Have to remember he also was like JP is going to be here for 4 years and then traded him the next week.

Pretty sure it was 2 days later :P
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#90 » by HiRez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:

When it comes to retaining Klay, I'd be surprised if it's not 100% Lacob's call. He might ask MDJ his opinion and MDJ will work out the offer details, but it has to be Joe's stamp to keep him or let him go. And because Steph and Draymond and Kerr are still there, I think they will make him an offer. Best thing if you want Klay gone is for them to lowball him and he goes somewhere else. Then they can say they tried at least. If you want him to stay it's tough, his salary is going to hamstring them on a lot of other deals, but he'll be insulted if it's too low. So I expect an offer in the $20M+ range, which is too much considering his age, production, and consistency, but it would probably be enough to credibly not feel disrespected. I expect it to be higher than we think it should be.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

whatisacenter wrote:That’s my hope is that this was just lip service and he is not gonna keep the core three together moving forward. But if he actually believes that the team was more the one to finish the season than the totality of the entire season, then he is buying fools gold.

I'm not sure if keeping the core trio together is actually his choice... lots of power in Kerr, Steph, Lacob. At minimum I think MDJ can make a hard push to have Klay's contract be small. I'd prefer Klay departed, but if he comes back it really has to be on a small role.

And really what we honestly need is a guard that's clearly better than him, so there can be no questions throughout the season, no Steve temptations to put him in the starting lineups or to close. Just a good guard that takes over the slot, and Klay (if he returns) is the backup, who is also paid like a backup.

HiRez wrote:So I expect an offer in the $20M+ range, which is too much considering his age, production, and consistency, but it would probably be enough to credibly not feel disrespected. I expect it to be higher than we think it should be.

I think this is where we will really see whether Mike has much power to decide stuff regarding the trio. There's no way he thinks Klay is currently worth 20M, not when Grayson Allen got less. But I know what you mean, we'll likely pay Klay more than he's worth, as odd as that is after we paid him a max 2 years while he played no games, and a 3rd year where he was mostly out. Hopefully Mike/Joe get together and decide a cap on what they can offer Klay, then use CP's contract to find a trade to upgrade the roster. That's our path to improvement.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#92 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:That’s my hope is that this was just lip service and he is not gonna keep the core three together moving forward. But if he actually believes that the team was more the one to finish the season than the totality of the entire season, then he is buying fools gold.

I'm not sure if keeping the core trio together is actually his choice... lots of power in Kerr, Steph, Lacob. At minimum I think MDJ can make a hard push to have Klay's contract be small. I'd prefer Klay departed, but if he comes back it really has to be on a small role.

And really what we honestly need is a guard that's clearly better than him, so there can be no questions throughout the season, no Steve temptations to put him in the starting lineups or to close. Just a good guard that takes over the slot, and Klay (if he returns) is the backup, who is also paid like a backup.

HiRez wrote:So I expect an offer in the $20M+ range, which is too much considering his age, production, and consistency, but it would probably be enough to credibly not feel disrespected. I expect it to be higher than we think it should be.

I think this is where we will really see whether Mike has much power to decide stuff regarding the trio. There's no way he thinks Klay is currently worth 20M, not when Grayson Allen got less. But I know what you mean, we'll likely pay Klay more than he's worth, as odd as that is after we paid him a max 2 years while he played no games, and a 3rd year where he was mostly out. Hopefully Mike/Joe get together and decide a cap on what they can offer Klay, then use CP's contract to find a trade to upgrade the roster. That's our path to improvement.

I keep hearing this and some have gone as far as to say it''ll be easy to replace Klay with a better player. Who would that be? Remember, we have no cap space and won't be able to package contracts after the new league year starts. So it's either cp3 + picks or wiggins + picks that will be bringing back this starting level shooting guard that's clearly better than Klay. I'm sure we all know the 2 guards in the league, who are we getting?

We'll have the taxpayer MLE (~$5M to start) but I'm hopeful that's not the mechanism we use to upgrade the Klay spot, right?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#93 » by HiRez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

I'd like Klay a lot if he was making $10M/year and playing 10-15 minutes a game. But we all know that's not going to happen.
vvoland
Senior

Post#94 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:

You really think Allen is a better player? the 4th option on a top heavy team who's left wide open and had 1 good season? We'll see if his shooting holds up in the playoffs but let's just say I have my doubts. He was a throw in trade piece last year, the suns extended him because they had no other mechanisms to attract talent other than vet mins.

Just as a reference point, 53.5% of allen's 3's this year came with a defender more than 6 feet away - wide open. another 11% were with a player 4-6 ft away - open. Klay's numbers were 16% wide open, 26% open. Put the hate aside for a moment and imagine what Grayson would be doing here as a 2nd option and what Klay would be doing in PHX as a 4th.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#95 » by TB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:If we don't sign Goga Bitadze I am finding a new team lol

We had Goga and Javonte Green literally right in our hands and let them both slip through the cracks.

Now to get either will cost part/all of MLE. :banghead:
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

vvoland wrote:You really think Allen is a better player? the 4th option on a top heavy team who's left wide open and had 1 good season? We'll see if his shooting holds up in the playoffs but let's just say I have my doubts. He was a throw in trade piece last year, the suns extended him because they had no other mechanisms to attract talent other than vet mins.

Just as a reference point, 53.5% of allen's 3's this year came with a defender more than 6 feet away - wide open. another 11% were with a player 4-6 ft away - open. Klay's numbers were 16% wide open, 26% open. Put the hate aside for a moment and imagine what Grayson would be doing here as a 2nd option and what Klay would be doing in PHX as a 4th.

Keep in mind we're signing a player to a multi-year contract, Allen is 28 and Klay is 34 and declining. You have to factor who is going to be the better player over the course of the contract (though I'd prefer Allen now). Allen doesn't quit on plays, and doesn't disappear against good defenses. Last playoffs Klay had plenty of wide open looks and just whiffed. No hate, just analysis.

vvoland wrote:I keep hearing this and some have gone as far as to say it''ll be easy to replace Klay with a better player. Who would that be? Remember, we have no cap space and won't be able to package contracts after the new league year starts. So it's either cp3 + picks or wiggins + picks that will be bringing back this starting level shooting guard that's clearly better than Klay. I'm sure we all know the 2 guards in the league, who are we getting?

We'll have the taxpayer MLE (~$5M to start) but I'm hopeful that's not the mechanism we use to upgrade the Klay spot, right?

CP3 + picks probably could have netted Dejounte Murray this past offseason, or Jrue Holiday (plus say Kuminga). Murray might still be available (though the price sadly might be going up) not as good of a shooter, but I think his ball handling and athleticism would help Steph out a lot. And instead of having to set up the defense around Klay's defensive shortcomings, I think Murray would excel with other good defenders around him, allowing Steph to have an easier time. Jrue would have been obviously a big upgrade. So let's not pretend just this past season like there weren't options to trade for.

And as the off-season progresses we will find out who is available, at the end of the season it's tough to tell any of that stuff. The draft/free agency kicks off late June.
vvoland
Senior

Post#97 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:11 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
vvoland wrote:You really think Allen is a better player? the 4th option on a top heavy team who's left wide open and had 1 good season? We'll see if his shooting holds up in the playoffs but let's just say I have my doubts. He was a throw in trade piece last year, the suns extended him because they had no other mechanisms to attract talent other than vet mins.

Keep in mind we're signing a player to a multi-year contract, Allen is 28 and Klay is 34 and declining. You have to factor who is going to be the better player over the course of the contract (though I'd prefer Allen now). Allen doesn't quit on plays, and doesn't disappear against good defenses. Last playoffs Klay had plenty of wide open looks and just whiffed. No hate, just analysis.

vvoland wrote:I keep hearing this and some have gone as far as to say it''ll be easy to replace Klay with a better player. Who would that be? Remember, we have no cap space and won't be able to package contracts after the new league year starts. So it's either cp3 + picks or wiggins + picks that will be bringing back this starting level shooting guard that's clearly better than Klay. I'm sure we all know the 2 guards in the league, who are we getting?

CP3 + picks probably could have netted Dejounte Murray this past offseason, or Jrue Holiday (plus say Kuminga). Murray might still be available (though the price sadly might be going up) not as good of a shooter, but I think his ball handling and athleticism would help Steph out a lot. And instead of having to set up the defense around Klay's defensive shortcomings, I think Murray would excel with other good defenders around him, allowing Steph to have an easier time. Jrue would have been obviously a big upgrade. So let's not pretend just this past season like there weren't options to trade for.

And as the off-season progresses we will find out who is available, at the end of the season it's tough to tell any of that stuff. The draft/free agency kicks off late June.

14% of Klay's 3's in the playoffs last year were wide open so I'm not sure about "plenty of wide open looks." He hit those looks at a 42% clip, so if you want analysis and not hate, bring stats, not opinion. We have no idea how Allen would play against good defenses, he rarely sees a defender within 4 ft because the other 3 guys on the perimeter are beal, book and kd.

this whole narrative of quitting on plays is weird. I'm not sure what it means or how you quantify it. We have players who've quit on entire seasons. We've had wigs just not show up for the first 40 games or in some of our biggest games this year (like the play-in vs Sac). We've had curry and dray routinely walk back on defense after arguing with the refs. Klay doesn't close out on a shooter out of frustration and it's "he's a quitter."

If someone could quantify this, it would help. Distance covered and speed tracking doesn't show a guy that quits. He has a better rebound and contested rebound % than allen. Box out rates seem similar. So just trying to understand where this narrative is backed up by analysis. Opponents also shoot 2% worse when Klay guards them.. from 47.8 to 45.8. Grayson's delta is 1.5%, from 47.2 to 45.7 - virtually identical numbers. If Klay is as lazy and gives up on plays as often as this board makes that claim, how is none of that showing up in the tracking data?

You don't need to know who's available right now to say who this starting 2 guard is you would target. Again, before the new league year, we'll be able to package JK or podz with Wigs or CP3 but after July 1, we will not be able to do so. Jrue just signed an extension so I think he's out. If you're saying we should have traded for him when he was in Portland, I don't think the blazers wanted to deal with us and the price would be higher than what you offered. Murray's price was always high and while the deadline offered a chance to get him at his low, it was still going to cost multiple picks and/or young players. I would have loved to get him in but CP3 was hurt at the time, wiggins was awful and not sure ATL wanted what we had to give them. Now, he'll have plenty of suitors and for all we know, ATL moves Trae and builds around Murray.

Forget Murray or Jrue for a minute. Look at the other 2 guards - Derozan is a FA, we have no space and can't do a S&T. An oft injured Brogdon interest you much? Tim Hardaway Jr signed a 4/75 3 years ago and he has never had a season where he shot as well as Klay did this season (THJ did shoot 39.8% on 3's one time but not on this type of volume).

It's actually a very weak position in the NBA, particularly if you value shooting. The options are pretty limited and that is why we will keep seeing very flawed players like Allen or THJ get contracts in the 20M/yr range.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am

vvoland wrote:
if you want analysis and not hate, bring stats, not opinion.

Here you go.

And my point about Murray or Jrue was that each season players have appeared that you can trade for, but prior to the draft or free agency, nobody would have known/guessed either guy would be available -- this happens every year. Asking someone who those people are in April is a waste of time.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,178

Post#99 » by cpower » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am

MDJ said he believe the team has enough talent offensively lmao.

god we will be heading to the slow death for sure
vvoland
Senior

Post#100 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
vvoland wrote:
if you want analysis and not hate, bring stats, not opinion.

Here you go.

And my point about Murray or Jrue was that each season players have appeared that you can trade for, but prior to the draft or free agency, nobody would have known/guessed either guy would be available -- this happens every year. Asking someone who those people are in April is a waste of time.

My comment was about your statement that a. Klay got plenty of wide open shots in the playoffs last year and b. missed most of them. I showed you the data: 16% wide open 3s @ 42% made. Your response is with a stat I'm pretty sure you can't define or explain how it's calculated. According to that chart, the best klay was this season was the klay we saw the first 30 games and he really fell off after the all star break. Do you think anyone will agree with that?

Maybe it's not the stat, maybe it's me. Let's look at all guards by darko. Harden is better than fox, haliburton, Jamal Murray and derick white? If you say so...

I'm not asking you who's available, I'm asking who you'd replace klay with out of ALL the guards out there. If they're FAs, how do you sign them? If they're under contract, what do you trade for them, especially keeping in mind the restrictions we have as a 2nd apron team.

You can avoid the question, if you want. It just rings hollow when you say get rid of Klay with no backup plan.

Return to Golden State Warriors