Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#121 » by Warriorfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 am

Wiggins will be traded at the deadline if he rehabs his value
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#122 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 pm

Nvnervous45 wrote:The trade podz crew is baffling quite honestly. A 21 year old rookie who had 9.2 pts, 5.8 rebs, and 3.7 assists per game. I'd make him the back up point guard when Paul leaves. Wiggs has got to go though, his heart isn't in the game. With his buddy Poole gone, his personal matter, and inconsistent effort, he's checked out. We just need to trade picks and wiggs for a starting caliber off guard.

Agreed. Why trade Podz? The W's are going to need a replacement for Steph in 2 years and this guy steps into the NBA from a small school and can already run a pro offense at a high level as a rookie. Makes no sense.

Wiggs is just a mercenary under contract, not part of a long terms future.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,308

Post#123 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm

floppymoose wrote:Is that Dunleavy-speak for "Klay gone"?

Might have to build a statue for MDJ
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#124 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Is that Dunleavy-speak for "Klay gone"?

Might have to build a statue for MDJ

Hopefully modeled from this:
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#125 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

The Warriors simply need:
1. another 20-point scorer
2. two more ball-handlers who are tall and defensive enough to play alongside Curry
3. to rid themselves of backcourt players like Paul, Podziemski, and Payton who don't fit well with Curry.
4. to trade Wiggins
5. to acquire a suitable, veteran backup "PF" to Kuminga, preferably one that can shoot but isn't a tremendous liability on defense

PG - Fultz - Wright
SG - Curry - (Wright/Moody)
C - Green - Davis
PF - Kuminga - (Gallinari/Davis)
SF - Thompson - Moody
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#126 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

billinder33 wrote:
Nvnervous45 wrote:The trade podz crew is baffling quite honestly. A 21 year old rookie who had 9.2 pts, 5.8 rebs, and 3.7 assists per game. I'd make him the back up point guard when Paul leaves. Wiggs has got to go though, his heart isn't in the game. With his buddy Poole gone, his personal matter, and inconsistent effort, he's checked out. We just need to trade picks and wiggs for a starting caliber off guard.

Agreed. Why trade Podz? The W's are going to need a replacement for Steph in 2 years and this guy steps into the NBA from a small school and can already run a pro offense at a high level as a rookie. Makes no sense.

With the exception of the last championship run, Curry has been at his best when not playing on the ball as a PG. He's always been best playing a Reggie Miller role.

That being said, the Warriors have historically been most dominant when he is paired with other ball-handlers that will allow him to play mostly off-ball. The catch is that these ball-handlers must also be defensive minded and long-at edge to makeup for Curry's weaknesses on that end.

Podziemski is a solid player, but I don't think he fits the prototype of what a Curry-led team needs. The problem with this team is poor construction. Too many players who don't fit. Podziemski doesn't fit. Payton doesn't fit. Paul doesn't fit. If you're trying to build a contending team around Curry, then you must properly build a team around Curry.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#127 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm

If the front office believes that Zach Lavine can turn the corner as a defender and playmaker, they should strongly consider him.

On paper it'd be a questionable move, but with coaching, I see no reason LaVine couldn't vastly improve as a defender and playmaker. He has all the tools.

He could probably be had for Paul and Payton and a pick or two.

Something to think about ....
Onus
RealGM

Post#128 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

With the exception of the last championship run, Curry has been at his best when not playing on the ball as a PG. He's always been best playing a Reggie Miller role.

That being said, the Warriors have historically been most dominant when he is paired with other ball-handlers that will allow him to play mostly off-ball. The catch is that these ball-handlers must also be defensive minded and long-at edge to makeup for Curry's weaknesses on that end.

Podziemski is a solid player, but I don't think he fits the prototype of what a Curry-led team needs. The problem with this team is poor construction. Too many players who don't fit. Podziemski doesn't fit. Payton doesn't fit. Paul doesn't fit. If you're trying to build a contending team around Curry, then you must properly build a team around Curry.

Why doesn't podz fit? 6'4'' backup pg who can shoot and hustles for rebounds and rotates on defense. He tends to overhelp and isn't the best poa defender, but his time with curry shouldn't overlap as much now that cp3 will be gone.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#129 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm

Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

Why doesn't podz fit? 6'4'' backup pg who can shoot and hustles for rebounds and rotates on defense. He tends to overhelp and isn't the best poa defender, but his time with curry shouldn't overlap as much now that cp3 will be gone.

I'm not thinking about three or four years from now. I'm strictly thinking of next year, and there are bigger, taller, longer, faster, more athletic, more physical, better defending point guards that are attainable. I'm done with the logjam in the backcourt. Instead of Payton and Podziemski, give me one guy who can do what both of them can do.
Onus
RealGM

Post#130 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:With the exception of the last championship run, Curry has been at his best when not playing on the ball as a PG. He's always been best playing a Reggie Miller role.

I'm not thinking about three or four years from now. I'm strictly thinking of next year, and there are bigger, taller, longer, faster, more athletic, more physical, better defending point guards that are attainable. I'm done with the logjam in the backcourt. Instead of Payton and Podziemski, give me one guy who can do what both of them can do.

The log jam in the backcourt is klay
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#131 » by TB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:The Warriors simply need:
2. two more ball-handlers who are tall and defensive enough to play alongside Curry
3. to rid themselves of backcourt players like Paul, Podziemski, and Payton who don't fit well with Curry.
4. to trade Wiggins
5. to acquire a suitable, veteran backup "PF" to Kuminga, preferably one that can shoot but isn't a tremendous liability on defense

PG - Fultz - Wright
C - Green - Davis
SF - Thompson - Moody

This lineup makes us even smaller than last year while also being worse at shooting. I'm very confused lol.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#132 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:Why doesn't podz fit? 6'4'' backup pg who can shoot and hustles for rebounds and rotates on defense. He tends to overhelp and isn't the best poa defender, but his time with curry shouldn't overlap as much now that cp3 will be gone.

Thompson can no longer defend most guards consistently. He shouldn't be considered a backcourt player at all.

He is a role-playing small forward now, spelled by Moody who should get every opportunity in the world to "snatched Thompson's chain" and close a lot of games.
Onus
RealGM

Post#133 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:I'm not thinking about three or four years from now. I'm strictly thinking of next year, and there are bigger, taller, longer, faster, more athletic, more physical, better defending point guards that are attainable. I'm done with the logjam in the backcourt. Instead of Payton and Podziemski, give me one guy who can do what both of them can do.

Thompson can no longer defend most guards consistently. He shouldn't be considered a backcourt player at all.

He is a role-playing small forward now, spelled by Moody who should get every opportunity in the world to "snatched Thompson's chain" and close a lot of games.

Klay shouldn't be on the team anymore
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#134 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

TB wrote:
4. to trade Wiggins

PG - Fultz - Wright
C - Green - Davis
SF - Thompson - Moody

This lineup makes us even smaller than last year while also being worse at shooting. I'm very confused lol.

I think the main issue is backcourt size, but the frontcourt size issue is practically unsolvable with Green and Kuminga and Davis in tow.

Those three guys can't start together, can they? If I'm wrong for asking, I'll own it, but I think the answer is no.

Kuminga needs to be brought along at PF and that means Green is the center with Davis spelling them both. No way around it. They could mitigate their lack of size by signing a long backup PF (who can shoot) to come in and pick the leftover crumb minutes from. Davis, Green, and Kuminga, but that idea is somewhat farfetched.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#135 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 pm

Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:The log jam in the backcourt is klay

For the right price (15 mill per) and the right length (two years), I think he should.

I will concede, though, that he needs to willingly accept his role.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#136 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 pm

superunknown wrote:yes right, let's package our best perimeter defender (one of the best in the league) to keep a washed guy who cannot defend anymore to save his life, even at a discount rate.
if the goal is to keep competing you try to improve the roster not to weaken it. so unless you can get a wing who can defend, rebound and give you 16-17 points per game you don't trade wiggins.
klay needs to walk. the only scenario he can stay is he accepts a huuge paycut (MLE exception) and a reduce role as a gunner from the bench (15 mins max a game). and ofc kerr plays him 15 mins max a game. otherwise he needs to walk. he (and kerr) has damaged this squad enough in the last 2 seasons.
also, if the goal is to maximize curry's last seasons, you try to package paul' contract + picks + youngsters (including podz) to get a star player. you let him walk only if there is no meaningful trade available in july.
green must be given an ultimatum: another incident like the gobert/nurkic one and he is traded at the first available opportunity. enough with his antics, they have damaged this squad enough too.
trade GPII, he's hardly available for a reason or another one, enough with this too.
sign & trade kuminga if there is a good trade available. otherwise you sign him and keep him until that trade becomes available hoping he keeps improving.

If that was the andrew wiggins we got the last two seasons, we would have been a much better team than we were. If we got that wiggins this season, we'd be much higher than 10th. For all the hand-wringing about Klay's shooting and declining defense, it's the two way wing that's in the prime of his career that hasn't shown up for this team. I've heard the entire board claim Moody should take Klay's minutes but I think it's Wigs's minutes that he should have taken this year. Outside of a few weeks around the trade deadline and then again in Mar, Wigs was AWOL the entire season, when we could least afford it.
Onus
RealGM

Post#137 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:Thompson can no longer defend most guards consistently. He shouldn't be considered a backcourt player at all.

For the right price (15 mill per) and the right length (two years), I think he should.

I will concede, though, that he needs to willingly accept his role.

Kerr has shown time and time again he is unable to coach Klay in a reasonable manner. It doesn't matter if he's coming back on a vet min he's getting 30 mpg. It doesn't matter how he plays. It doesn't matter how much he sulks. It doesn't matter how toxic he is. It doesn't matter how many team meetings they have to have. It doesn't matter how many player only meetings they need to have. This is no longer the right situation for him. No one is getting through to him on this team. And Kerr just enables this behavior by giving him unlimited rope to embarrass himself on the court.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#138 » by TB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
TB wrote:
4. to trade Wiggins

PG - Fultz - Wright
C - Green - Davis
SF - Thompson - Moody

I think the main issue is backcourt size, but the frontcourt size issue is practically unsolvable with Green and Kuminga and Davis in tow.

Those three guys can't start together, can they? If I'm wrong for asking, I'll own it, but I think the answer is no.

Kuminga needs to be brought along at PF and that means Green is the center with Davis spelling them both. No way around it. They could mitigate their lack of size by signing a long backup PF (who can shoot) to come in and pick the leftover crumb minutes from. Davis, Green, and Kuminga, but that idea is somewhat farfetched.

I agree completely on the situation with Kuminga/Dray. If neither are a threat shooting, they essentially can't play the 3/4 together. And at the same time ideally we dont have Dray full time as a center. Especially next to Kuminga at the 4 who isn't really a rebounder or rim protector. And of course moving Dray to center means we can't really bring in an improved center like Goga since we'd already have Dray/Trayce and potentially Loon there.

I actually think this is the trickier situation than Klay. To me, the Klay situation is easy... see if he will take 15m or less to be a backup microwave scorer or let him go elsewhere with a bigger role. But with Kuminga/Dray, we may need to move one of them sooner than later.
Onus
RealGM

Post#139 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:00 pm

TB wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
TB wrote:

I agree completely on the situation with Kuminga/Dray. If neither are a threat shooting, they essentially can't play the 3/4 together. And at the same time ideally we dont have Dray full time as a center. Especially next to Kuminga at the 4 who isn't really a rebounder or rim protector. And of course moving Dray to center means we can't really bring in an improved center like Goga since we'd already have Dray/Trayce and potentially Loon there.

I actually think this is the trickier situation than Klay. To me, the Klay situation is easy... see if he will take 15m or less to be a backup microwave scorer or let him go elsewhere with a bigger role. But with Kuminga/Dray, we may need to move one of them sooner than later.

That's easy you move JK. I agree it's tricky to build a team around Dray's limitations but we know he makes other people better even with those limitations.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,057

Post#140 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:I think the main issue is backcourt size, but the frontcourt size issue is practically unsolvable with Green and Kuminga and Davis in tow.

That's easy you move JK. I agree it's tricky to build a team around Dray's limitations but we know he makes other people better even with those limitations.

If it’s one or the other, JK is the call easily. Peak value and all that. But I’d also hope that moving one means the other is not immovable. If a deal where we get draft picks for Dray becomes available, it’s worth listening to as well

Return to Golden State Warriors