Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#161 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 pm

Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:Kerr has shown time and time again he is unable to coach Klay in a reasonable manner. It doesn't matter if he's coming back on a vet min he's getting 30 mpg. It doesn't matter how he plays. It doesn't matter how much he sulks. It doesn't matter how toxic he is. It doesn't matter how many team meetings they have to have. It doesn't matter how many player only meetings they need to have. This is no longer the right situation for him. No one is getting through to him on this team. And Kerr just enables this behavior by giving him unlimited rope to embarrass himself on the court.

I don't disagree at all. I simply believe that Kerr will change.

With a better constructed roster and more defined roles (less tinkering options for the coach), I believe Kerr will play Moody over Thompson down the stretch of games.

This roster just needs an enema, to trim the fat. Kerr will adjust to Thompson's inconsistencies as the roster is less clustered and becomes more streamlined.

What Kerr has been is not necessarily what he will continue to be. He's already began the process by benching him a chunk of games.

What makes you think Kerr will change? He had all year to change. He didn't close with Klay maybe 2 games this year and I think we actually won those games and he still went back to Klay.

I think he'll change because he's began the process by bringing him off the bench. He's already started changing. That's a huge step that can't be glazed over.

More important than that, the spotlight this offseason is on Kerr now. He knows, more than ever, that he must evolve, especially if Moody keeps improving (as he should in a contract year).

Kerr tried benching him and letting him close games. The next step, after trading Wiggins, is to start Thompson but to give way to Moody off the bench by letting him close games when he's out playing Thompson.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#162 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

vvoland wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

It lasted until Moody went 0-14 from 3 and Wiggs went on leave, and then the bench experiment was over and (right or wrong) Kerr reverted to the guy who won him 4 titles.

Worked out pretty well right? :lol: He played 32 minutes and scored 0 points with terrible defense. At least it was better than the previous elimination game where he went 3/19, or the previous elimination game in another series before that, 4/19.

But those aren't important, it's much more relevant what Klay has done nearly a decade ago in 2015, 2017 or 2018 when he was the 4th most important player in their championship runs. That's the key there, that's the valuable data we need!

So you're just going to ignore the fact that Klay was moved to the bench and his replacement didn't exactly shine in his place?

Klay has played like total **** for 2 1/2 seasons during many stretches of the 2 1/2 years and hasn't lost his spot until 60% into this season when the team was free falling. I have no problem if Moody plays poorly and gets benched. Or if Podz or anyone else. Moody has started a total of 9 games this year, spread throughout the entire season.

I am impressed that you manage to say how I ignore one comment and do the same in the exact same. Impressive!

Unlike you, I don't who starts as long as they perform. Klay is a mediocre player that gets overplayed and there's no statistical data that shows him getting this many minutes is helping the team out.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,060

Post#163 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:I don't disagree at all. I simply believe that Kerr will change.

With a better constructed roster and more defined roles (less tinkering options for the coach), I believe Kerr will play Moody over Thompson down the stretch of games.

This roster just needs an enema, to trim the fat. Kerr will adjust to Thompson's inconsistencies as the roster is less clustered and becomes more streamlined.

What Kerr has been is not necessarily what he will continue to be. He's already began the process by benching him a chunk of games.

What makes you think Kerr will change? He had all year to change. He didn't close with Klay maybe 2 games this year and I think we actually won those games and he still went back to Klay.

I think he'll change because he's began the process by bringing him off the bench. He's already started changing. That's a huge step that can't be glazed over.

More important than that, the spotlight this offseason is on Kerr now. He knows, more than ever, that he must evolve, especially if Moody keeps improving (as he should in a contract year).

Kerr tried benching him and letting him close games. The next step, after trading Wiggins, is to start Thompson but to give way to Moody off the bench by letting him close games when he's out playing Thompson.

And then he changed it right back when it mattered most

If it takes literal years to adapt, then that’s a problem. Most coaches won’t do that because they don’t have that kind of job security. And it would be fine if it turned out to be a good strategy

But it hasn’t been, it was a poor strategy, worked out terribly, and has soured a lot of the fanbase on 2 big parts of the dynasty. All of it is ultimately Kerr’s fault
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,412

Post#164 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:For the right price (15 mill per) and the right length (two years), I think he should.

I will concede, though, that he needs to willingly accept his role.

Kerr has shown time and time again he is unable to coach Klay in a reasonable manner. It doesn't matter if he's coming back on a vet min he's getting 30 mpg. It doesn't matter how he plays. It doesn't matter how much he sulks. It doesn't matter how toxic he is. It doesn't matter how many team meetings they have to have. It doesn't matter how many player only meetings they need to have. This is no longer the right situation for him. No one is getting through to him on this team. And Kerr just enables this behavior by giving him unlimited rope to embarrass himself on the court.

Did you watch last year's FIBA World Cup?

Did you see the roster Kerr had to work with?

Did you notice a pattern in the lineups he used?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,412

Post#165 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 pm

Moody as a starter (9 games):

25 mpg

12,6 ppg
3,7 rpg
1,4 apg

52/39/70 = 63% TS

6 TOs (in 9 games...)

125 ORtg
113 DRtg

18,1% usage (imagine a bigger role next season, increasing his usage to 22/24%)

You check Moody's splits (link), they (for example, his shooting stats) are all over the place.

Maybe a better defined role could help him? Let me guess.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,308

Post#166 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:What makes you think Kerr will change? He had all year to change. He didn't close with Klay maybe 2 games this year and I think we actually won those games and he still went back to Klay.

And then he changed it right back when it mattered most

If it takes literal years to adapt, then that’s a problem. Most coaches won’t do that because they don’t have that kind of job security. And it would be fine if it turned out to be a good strategy

But it hasn’t been, it was a poor strategy, worked out terribly, and has soured a lot of the fanbase on 2 big parts of the dynasty. All of it is ultimately Kerr’s fault

There's literally no upside to his strategy either. Like Klay is 34 coming off of 2 major injuries. He's not coming back. If Klay was 28 then yea maybe you give him a couple of years to recover, even then it would be unlikely. But he's on his way out and most 34 year olds are on the decline, while you're alienating a 21 year old who is just patiently waiting his turn even though he has his first real pay day coming up. Who theoretically should be on his upward trajectory. Like what is the upside?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#167 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Impuniti wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
Regarding the bolded part only:

I think most of us here (I'd say 75%+) agree with you. The thing is, this won't happen.

Remember in February, when Kerr said that Klay would come off the bench and play limited minutes? How did it go?

This strategy lasted what, 3 weeks or so. Then it was back to the old ways.

Klay can't help himself. Kerr can't help himself.

They won't adapt to the new reality. They basically sabotaged the season with this mentality.

We, as fans, are like hostages in this situation. You know what's gonna happen, you fight to avoid it, yet it will happen anyways.

Unfortunately, you've got to realize that.

It lasted until Moody went 0-14 from 3 and Wiggs went on leave, and then the bench experiment was over and (right or wrong) Kerr reverted to the guy who won him 4 titles.

Worked out pretty well right? :lol: He played 32 minutes and scored 0 points with terrible defense. At least it was better than the previous elimination game where he went 3/19, or the previous elimination game in another series before that, 4/19.

But those aren't important, it's much more relevant what Klay has done nearly a decade ago in 2015, 2017 or 2018 when he was the 4th most important player in their championship runs. That's the key there, that's the valuable data we need!

During Klay's benching, and excluding the 2 games Klay started, Moody put up:

16.2 MPG
7.1 PPG
3.2 RPG
0.5 APG
0.7 SPG
0.7 BPG

42.9 FG%
29.0 3PT%
78.6 FT%

+1.5 per game

That would be 13/6/1/1.3/1.3 in 30mpg with a +2.7 per game if extrapolated to Klay's 29.7.. in a period where the team got the **** kicked out of them by the Celtics and Moody was in a shooting slump. For reference, Klay on the season was +0.09 per game on the season

Or could just extrapolate Moody's full season numbers, and get 15/5.5/1.7/1.1/0.7 and +2.7 per game

Now using that as saying Moody was definitely better is lazy and sloppy, as are most extrapolations including per36, but it at least gives the idea of an extended opportunity. Because even when Moody's counting stats were down, both he and Klay's +/- went up when Klay was on the bench. Since Kerr decided they couldnt play together very much.. thats a win win right?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#168 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Moody as a starter (9 games):

25 mpg

12,6 ppg
3,7 rpg
1,4 apg

52/39/70 = 63% TS

6 TOs (in 9 games...)

125 ORtg
113 DRtg

You check Moody's splits (link), they (for example, his shooting stats) are all over the place.

Only thing I'd say is I'd expect the usage to remain roughly the same. Or maybe even go down - 18% is pretty high for a guy who's not typically involved in the offense. He's an effective 3&D player with a little bit of upside if he can get stronger - which is something that he's not critiqued for all that much, and should be. All that shoulder broadness.. put some GD lean muscle onto it and start absorbing contact in the paint better. He was knocked off balance and the refs aren't going to give the whistle if it looks like you're out of control
Onus
RealGM

Post#169 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Moody as a starter (9 games):

25 mpg

12,6 ppg
3,7 rpg
1,4 apg

52/39/70 = 63% TS

6 TOs (in 9 games...)

125 ORtg
113 DRtg

Only thing I'd say is I'd expect the usage to remain roughly the same. Or maybe even go down - 18% is pretty high for a guy who's not typically involved in the offense. He's an effective 3&D player with a little bit of upside if he can get stronger - which is something that he's not critiqued for all that much, and should be. All that shoulder broadness.. put some GD lean muscle onto it and start absorbing contact in the paint better. He was knocked off balance and the refs aren't going to give the whistle if it looks like you're out of control

He did start putting his shoulder into people this year and was able to push some people out of the way. Def needs to be able to do it more often.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#170 » by Impuniti » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:47 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
Onus wrote:Kerr has shown time and time again he is unable to coach Klay in a reasonable manner. It doesn't matter if he's coming back on a vet min he's getting 30 mpg. It doesn't matter how he plays. It doesn't matter how much he sulks. It doesn't matter how toxic he is. It doesn't matter how many team meetings they have to have. It doesn't matter how many player only meetings they need to have. This is no longer the right situation for him. No one is getting through to him on this team. And Kerr just enables this behavior by giving him unlimited rope to embarrass himself on the court.

Did you watch last year's FIBA World Cup?

Did you see the roster Kerr had to work with?

Did you notice a pattern in the lineups he used?

People have been using every crappy excuse to defend Kerr on here regarding lack of talent when the guy had far and away the most stacked team in FIBA. His coaching was such a calamity that he didn't even manage to finish 3rd. How is that even possible with that level of talent disparity?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,276

Post#171 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am

superunknown wrote:
wco81 wrote:
superunknown wrote:
the system that got the franchise 4 titles in less than 10 years was based more on D than on offense. what are we talking about it in here? even in the last title year in 2022, the dubs were middle of the pack offensively and top 5 defensely, not the other way around. and the team had a better record with JP starting next to steph than with klay.
what it definitely won't be missed, if they let klay walk, is the non-D and the frequent giving up on plays. he's become unplayable defensively, and definitely cannot be paired with curry on the backcourt anymore because of that. it's not about his shooting/spacing, which btw is not the same as before as he lost 1-2 step on offense as well, it's about his D. and his attitude.

PS: warriors also finished the season loosing in the play-in against a struggling team missing two key players. let's not forget about this little detail.

If it was based on defense, why is Curry earning more than double Draymond or Kuminga?

Or way more than Iggy ever made?

Or Bogut, or Livingston?

are you seriously comparing one of the top 5 players all time to the likes of dray, kuminga or livingston?

Klay has earned more money than all those players.

Poole got a bigger contract than all those players.

MPJ has a bigger contract than Aaron Gordon, their best defensive player.

But defense wins championships and that's why the Warriors won right?

It's clear how the teams and the league value players.

It's for their offensive impact, not defense.

Jokic is the two-time MVP, maybe about to win his 3rd, putting up record numbers. He's not a big-time defensive center.

Jason Tatum is a very good defensive player but he's about to get the biggest contract in the history of the league because of defense.
Onus
RealGM

Post#172 » by Onus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 pm

We really need a stretch big in the worst way possible. We need to be able to put out at least 4 capable shooters on the court at the same time. Every other contending team has at least 4 capable shooters, while the #1 seeds have 5 capable shooters in their starting lineups. We've been playing at such a deficit.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#173 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm

Man it's depressing that Portland could end up taking Kyle Filipowski with our pick. He's exactly the kind of stretch big that would be perfect here.

EDIT: LMAO I didn't even read Onus' comment before I posted that. Sorry man. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#174 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:58 pm

An ideal offseason means Klay walks and CP3/Wiggins/JK are all dealt

Unless there's some homerun offer for a good player that we can't pass up, winning should be a minor concern over development and getting questions answered about the youth movement
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#175 » by xdrta+ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:09 pm

I'll be disappointed if they just waive CP without making use of his flexible contract. Another early decision they need to make is about Looney, whose full contract guarantee date is 6/24, even before Paul's 6/28 date.
Onus
RealGM

Post#176 » by Onus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm

I really wonder if they feel like Garuba can replace Looney next year and save like 6M? No clue since we never got to see Garuba.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#177 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:26 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:An ideal offseason means Klay walks and CP3/Wiggins/JK are all dealt

Unless there's some homerun offer for a good player that we can't pass up, winning should be a minor concern over development and getting questions answered about the youth movement

If it's development over winning, why move on from JK?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#178 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:I'll be disappointed if they just waive CP without making use of his flexible contract. Another early decision they need to make is about Looney, whose full contract guarantee date is 6/24, even before Paul's 6/28 date.

Most players eventually kick it out to the start of next season, especially ones who are on the fence to get it guaranteed, or unlikely to. Benefits them because if they are part of a trade, thats just free money
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#179 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:29 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:An ideal offseason means Klay walks and CP3/Wiggins/JK are all dealt

If it's development over winning, why move on from JK?

Because there's not much development left.. people see athleticism and project that out. But what actually drives development is skill level. JK is missing crucial building blocks there
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#180 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 pm

xdrta+ wrote:I'll be disappointed if they just waive CP without making use of his flexible contract. Another early decision they need to make is about Looney, whose full contract guarantee date is 6/24, even before Paul's 6/28 date.

It's not really waiving him at all. The team has an option and can decide not to opt in, thus helping them get out of the tax and under the second apron. This is important for long term competitiveness because there are all kinds of non-monetary punitive measures in the next CBA that will take effect if they don't.

It's precisely the flexibility in CP3's contract that makes this move possible and I welcome it.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors