2024 JK Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,027

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#741 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 pm

Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Maybe you guys should start a Franz thread…or better yet, go to the Magic forum.

JK and Franz will be compared to until the end of their careers as long as JK is a warrior. It was a bad pick then, still a bad pick today.

Well, excuse me if I don't fall in line with your guys line of thinking....I was told by many here that this past offseasons' moves were fantastic and that my view of not re-signing Draymond, breaking up the core 3 and getting younger/longer/more athletic was blasphemy and that it would waste a year of Curry's prime.

As long as the Warriors keep Draymond the team will be stuck playing this style of basketball which is no longer effective against leagues top teams and finding players that fit that current system is a waste of time.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#742 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Maybe you guys should start a Franz thread…or better yet, go to the Magic forum.

JK and Franz will be compared to until the end of their careers as long as JK is a warrior. It was a bad pick then, still a bad pick today.

Well, excuse me if I don't fall in line with your guys line of thinking....I was told by many here that this past offseasons' moves were fantastic and that my view of not re-signing Draymond, breaking up the core 3 and getting younger/longer/more athletic was blasphemy and that it would waste a year of Curry's prime.

As long as the Warriors keep Draymond the team will be stuck playing this style of basketball which is no longer effective against leagues top teams and finding players that fit that current system is a waste of time.

Draymond does lock us into this style of basketball. He's also one of the reasons why we're always so small. While I'd be ok with moving off of Draymond, I also understand re-signing him. But this has nothing to do with JK and Franz.

We should've been vying for the 4-6 seed with this team but Klay and Wiggins had a major slump at the same time. Draymond got suspended. Looney aged like 10 years. Kerr was slow to react. This team should've made the playoffs even with all the flaws. This season was a major disappointment.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,027

Post#743 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm

Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:JK and Franz will be compared to until the end of their careers as long as JK is a warrior. It was a bad pick then, still a bad pick today.

Draymond does lock us into this style of basketball. He's also one of the reasons why we're always so small. While I'd be ok with moving off of Draymond, I also understand re-signing him. But this has nothing to do with JK and Franz.

We should've been vying for the 4-6 seed with this team but Klay and Wiggins had a major slump at the same time. Draymond got suspended. Looney aged like 10 years. Kerr was slow to react. This team should've made the playoffs even with all the flaws. This season was a major disappointment.

I agree with much of your post but I think it does have something to do with JK and Franz.

Franz has had the benefit of playing in the same roll all 3 years of his career so far while JK's roll and minutes have been jerked around during that same time.

Franz has had the benefit of not having to look over his shoulder at a 4-time championship core every time he made a mistake and playing for a team, until this season, that didn't even have playoff aspirations.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#744 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I agree with much of your post but I think it does have something to do with JK and Franz.

Franz has had the benefit of playing in the same roll all 3 years of his career so far while JK's roll and minutes have been jerked around during that same time.

Franz has had the benefit of not having to look over his shoulder at a 4-time championship core every time he made a mistake and playing for a team, until this season, that didn't even have playoff aspirations.

Franz would've carved out a real role on this team
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#745 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
I'd say that if you say "<insert team> wins the title" and you didn't need to add a holy sh*t to either end of it, they are good. Its a very scientific and data based way to look at it, I know

Called DDV their 2nd option because he really is. Most plays attempted/touches that isnt Brunson. Its not as clear as most teams, but its their current reality

As for NBA.com/SS - the only time theres real discrepancies is when a guy like Kuminga or Draymond is compared to someone who isnt like them. System really isn't supposed to measure 2 guys in a rock fight from 3 because.. whats the value there? Plus cross-referencing is a bitch, because you can't just slap the 2 things together. Has to be done game to game - which shot had which level of coverage, etc. Lots of data cleaning.. so the payout better be worth it. Cant imagine that. But until teams actually look at Kuminga and don't invite the 3pter, hes a liability

I'd say your take on FW/JK in terms of improvement is almost the opposite of what's been proven to work in terms of future prediction. Making marginal improvements across the board, well except shooting, bodes well for continued improvement. Example: lets say there are tiers here, 1-5, 1 being awful, 2 poor, 3 good, 4 great, 5 elite. Instead of looking at it like 1-2-3-4-5, the reality is more like 1-2--3---4----5. Meaning its much harder to from good to great than awful to poor. Improving on something you're already good at is a fantastic sign - and to that end, Kuminga did improve on something he's good at too: finishing. That bodes well for his cutting/finishing game. But everywhere else he fell short... and since the Warriors only really needed that finishing/cutting to complement their very perimeter game, he's getting more shine than he should.

Now look at Franz, who apparently had a bad game 2 after a good game 1 (I'd assume? Metrics liked it anyways). He's not addressing the Magic's big need, but if he was? He'd be hailed as a superstar. Its just perception based on fit. But your perception is definitely slanted of him: he scored 19.7 ppg with a miserable 3ball this year, improving his midrange and finishing. If he hit his career average on 3s, he'd be a 22-23ppg guy. On top of that, 5 rebs, 3-4 assists, and one of the top 5-6 defensive SFs in the game. He's the secondary creator for them - right now. He's their best defender, right now. And for all the handling/creating he does, low turnovers. There's no shame in being 2nd to this guy, and JK's definitely 2nd to this guy if we're comparing them. Its not close and probably wont ever be, barring something that defies the long odds

If the only was a team is 'good' is if they're not a surprise to win the title, that is definitely a divergence in definitions. If the argument is that a championship favorite can't have a #2 scorer that isn't elite defensively or a 3pt shooter, I would probably agree. I thought "good" meant "slightly above average" but you can use it as you see fit, of course. I should have asked for clarification earlier before getting derailed in multiple posts.

If DDV is the 2nd option in NYK (I mostly agree even if he's 2nd only by default/injury and via committee), wasn't JK the 2nd option here after late Dec, early Jan? I get it, we're not a good team, by almost any definition, not just yours, but it's still a feather in his cap. He wasn't old enough to order a beer when the season started and still spent a decent chunk of the season carrying the offense on a 'not terrible offensive team.'

I get that NBA/SS line of thinking but don't you find it strange that two metrics that measure somewhat similar game situations diverge so significantly?

While I agree with your improvement example that it's harder to go from good to great or great to elite, that was kind of my point. I don't think Wagner has gotten to elite in any of the key skills he'd need to be an elite player. Can he get there? Maybe. I think he can be good at everything and possibly even very good but great, not so sure. Elite, pretty sure he won't. 5 rebs in 32 mins for a 6'11 combo forward doesn't sound great (per 36 has FW at 5.9rpg vs JK's 6.6rpg). I get the advanced stats may paint a different picture but 5 rpg isn't that great. The assists look nice but a ton of that is a function of having no creator at any other spot and he's really the only player on the team that can create for others.Has been that way all 3 seasons so he's had a real chance to craft that skill. On a good offense, he's probably a 3rd option as a scorer and a creator. Per 36 has FW at 4.1apg vs JK 3.0 despite FW being a 1st or 2nd option to create for others while JK is 5th behind SC, Dray, CP3, and Podz as a distributor. The low TOs are definitely FW's strength right now, no questions there.

I haven't heard anyone say FW is the best defender on the Magic. I don't watch that team nearly as often as you do but from what I've seen and heard, it's probably Isaac, Suggs, and then FW. I think the all defense team votes might bear that out.

As I asked before, do you think he'll ever be better than Siakam (a borderline all-star in a historically weak eastern conference?). What's the ceiling on a guy you probably don't want to be your best defender and definitely don't want to be your best offensive player.

I think JK went from poor (or even awful) to good (maybe great) in a couple of key areas, to use the scale you described. Getting to the line, converting FTs and his passing vision all took big jumps this season; his first with meaningful minutes and a consistent role. His scoring really jumped. It's hard from to go from being just a finisher and struggling at the line to almost doubling the scoring while maintaining the efficiency (above league avg. TS & eFG). I know you mentioned the ball handling is similar to last season due to the SS data but does that account for how much more he was handling the ball and how much more pressure he invited on the dribble? He'd bring the ball up, create above the break, handle in the mid-post - all things he did very rarely before this season. His dribble used to be on the break and off a cut or a couple easy dribbles into a long mid-range pullup. Eye test only but I felt he was much more secure driving to the basket through traffic and help defense than he used to be. I'm sure there's data on that but I just don't have access to it. Btw, more secure /= secure; I was still pretty nervous on his drives since I didn't think he was strong enough with the ball and it was a problem all season but especially when the rules changed after AllStar.

Regarding fit, JK has been called out, a number of times by his own coach, for not being able to shoot the ball and, thus, not being able to play the 3. I don't think he's getting more shine because the team needs cutters/finishers. I think it's because people imagine what he can do if he ever develops the 3pt shot. In fact, if he shot as well in the regular season as he did in pre-season (and for stretches like Dec/Jan and Mar/Apr) I think the team would have used him a lot more and he would have been much shinier. They really needed shooting this season.

By the way, I just read today he wasn't eligible for MIP because, despite playing over 65 games, he had only 61 games that counted (more than 20 mins).
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#746 » by billinder33 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 pm

These Franz / Kuminga discussions are all just eye-of-the-beholder talk at the end of the day.

All I know is that if Franz had been drafted instead of JK, the team would be roughly in the same spot, and usual suspects here would be crushing Franz and grousing that we hadn't drafted Kuminga. Folks, the grass isn't always greener...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#747 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 pm

Even before the draft, that was always the comparison of Franz/JK. Franz did more stuff well, but lower ceiling. JK did a lot of stuff poorly, but his ceiling is off the charts (at least in some areas). Still true today.

I think they actually did OK in that draft because they took the big swing on Kuminga at #7, jury is still out but it's looking better. And at #14 they took Moody who is another guy good at a lot of things, stable, coachable, high IQ, easy to fit into a lot of lineups, but not superstar ceiling type player, similar to Franz. Not interchangeable players, but probably similar impact in different ways, and Moody could probably be doing a lot more right now if it wasn't for Kerr.

All that said, I would certainly have to consider it if someone offered Franz for JK straight up today. Assuming Kerr is staying, Franz would probably do better than JK here.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#748 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm

vvoland wrote:If DDV is the 2nd option in NYK (I mostly agree even if he's 2nd only by default/injury and via committee), wasn't JK the 2nd option here after late Dec, early Jan? I get it, we're not a good team, by almost any definition, not just yours, but it's still a feather in his cap. He wasn't old enough to order a beer when the season started and still spent a decent chunk of the season carrying the offense on a 'not terrible offensive team.'

I get that NBA/SS line of thinking but don't you find it strange that two metrics that measure somewhat similar game situations diverge so significantly?

No (Klay)
No (they are different measurements of the same thing, they should diverge)

Don't need to be elite to be a high quality #2 or an all-star.

All defense votes mean nothing to me at all, and Franz is the best defender on the Magic by metric. Its just that wing defense, like perimeter defense, has a limit to how effective it can be. But relative to position, Franz and Suggs are really close, but Suggs gets propped up by counting stats, and Franz has him beat in FG% allowed, contest, all the things that don't go into the boxscore. Though if someone planted the Suggs flag hard, wouldn't argue it either. He's really good too. Isaac gets the boxscore and the big-man rub, which puts him higher than guards/wings because of importance (akin to a QB being the most important player in NFL, but an OL or RB can be elite yet far less valuable). So.. do with that what you will. But of the 3, only 1 is top 5 in contest%/oFG%, and its not Suggs or Isaac

I think if his 3 returns, he'll be Siakam or better. If it doesnt.. I guess Siakam without the 3? Siakam, btw, is a 2 time all-star and top 25 player. Shouldn't be downplayed for argument's sake. He would have been even better if he landed here last year - in theory at least, because if he was willing to play smallball C, or trade w/Dray at PF/C, he checked a ton of boxes. Anyways, an actual fringe all-star would be Wiggins or Julius Randle or insert any one-timer or stat whore who doesnt actually affect games

If people are imagining JK with a 3.. I mean dreams are dreams. And sure, people have become OK shooters with inconsistent form and questionable calibrating. But the odds are heavily stacked against it. People would do better putting that optimism in defense as he learns under Draymond.. if he's retained

Dont get me started on the minutes restrictions for awards. Those things, aside from MVP, are useless enough as-is. Said it a million times but there is absolutely no such thing as an expert on 30 teams, so these awards dont mean much to me except a gambling opportunity
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#749 » by Nvnervous45 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:20 pm

I think franz would have fit in well here but kuminga has a higher upside. To me it's like the sabonis/haliburton trade, both teams won because they got what they needed. We were looking to get more athletic and kuminga definitely fits the bill, so to me it's just meh.
vvoland
Senior

Post#750 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:20 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:If DDV is the 2nd option in NYK (I mostly agree even if he's 2nd only by default/injury and via committee), wasn't JK the 2nd option here after late Dec, early Jan? I get it, we're not a good team, by almost any definition, not just yours, but it's still a feather in his cap. He wasn't old enough to order a beer when the season started and still spent a decent chunk of the season carrying the offense on a 'not terrible offensive team.'

No (Klay)
No (they are different measurements of the same thing, they should diverge)

Don't need to be elite to be a high quality #2 or an all-star.

All defense votes mean nothing to me at all, and Franz is the best defender on the Magic by metric. Its just that wing defense, like perimeter defense, has a limit to how effective it can be. But relative to position, Franz and Suggs are really close, but Suggs gets propped up by counting stats, and Franz has him beat in FG% allowed, contest, all the things that don't go into the boxscore. Though if someone planted the Suggs flag hard, wouldn't argue it either. He's really good too. Isaac gets the boxscore and the big-man rub, which puts him higher than guards/wings because of importance (akin to a QB being the most important player in NFL, but an OL or RB can be elite yet far less valuable). So.. do with that what you will. But of the 3, only 1 is top 5 in contest%/oFG%, and its not Suggs or Isaac

I think if his 3 returns, he'll be Siakam or better. If it doesnt.. I guess Siakam without the 3? Siakam, btw, is a 2 time all-star and top 25 player. Shouldn't be downplayed for argument's sake. He would have been even better if he landed here last year - in theory at least, because if he was willing to play smallball C, or trade w/Dray at PF/C, he checked a ton of boxes. Anyways, an actual fringe all-star would be Wiggins or Julius Randle or insert any one-timer or stat whore who doesnt actually affect games

If people are imagining JK with a 3.. I mean dreams are dreams. And sure, people have become OK shooters with inconsistent form and questionable calibrating. But the odds are heavily stacked against it. People would do better putting that optimism in defense as he learns under Draymond.. if he's retained

Dont get me started on the minutes restrictions for awards. Those things, aside from MVP, are useless enough as-is. Said it a million times but there is absolutely no such thing as an expert on 30 teams, so these awards dont mean much to me except a gambling opportunity

I keep hearing that FT% is the best indicator of possible 3pt %. JK's improvement this season to 75% by shooting 80% on decen volume after his sub 70% start is what gives me some reason to hope he'll improve. He's also shot the 3 well for short stretches, like b2b months. His form, while inconsistent, actually looks pretty good. It also seems easier to learn shooting than off-ball defense, especially in the off-season.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#751 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:35 pm

vvoland wrote:

I keep hearing that FT% is the best indicator of possible 3pt %. JK's improvement this season to 75% by shooting 80% on decen volume after his sub 70% start is what gives me some reason to hope he'll improve. He's also shot the 3 well for short stretches, like b2b months. His form, while inconsistent, actually looks pretty good. It also seems easier to learn shooting than off-ball defense, especially in the off-season.

I see that as more correlation not equaling causation, because its just one issue (touch). The other big one is form, and you can have bad form as long as its consistent. I mean Dray, Shawn Marion, even Steph have some unusual forms shooting the ball. But if you can repeat it (form) and calibrate it (touch), then you could shoot like MKG and it doesnt really matter

100% on shooting being easier to learn in the offseason, but returns are better on off-ball defense because its more about identifying the right decision quicker and making it a habit. Nearly 100% mental, so its more likely to see that happen overall than shooting improving, especially when form is a big issue

FWIW too - I think its easy to spot when someone's form has improved to the point of credibility. Before GP2's breakout season, was on this board telling people he'll be a quality 3pt shooter that year. Didn't go over well then, but the results spoke for themselves
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,117

Post#752 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 pm

vvoland wrote:I like that he has the mid-range as a weapon but I'd rather see him continue to improve the 3pt shot and the around the rim stuff. He's already elite in the restricted area (73% this season) but he's only at 45% in the non-RA paint. I think that's where he needs to take a jump, no pun intended. He's a bit predictable in that he wants to get all the way to the rim and when he's sealed off, he can struggle.

Anyone remember the shot that Zion got hurt on in the play-in game? Driving at AD, he takes off early, well before the RA so that AD can't time the release. As a result, the high point of the layup is too far for AD to challenge since the takeoff was vs no contact and zion was free to elevate. If he tried that closer to the rim, AD gets into Zion's body, it's not a clean jump, and it's stuffed. That's where JK can add variety. He's such an explosive leaper that I am confused as to why he gets so close to the rim before exploding upwards.

JK with a 3 point shot, that's the dream! I am just not sure it will ever become a reality. I agree he needs to add some variety around the rim, moves, short-mid jumpers, all that good stuff. He has gotten a little predictable and struggles with tall centers, any additional stuff in his bag is welcome.
vvoland
Senior

Post#753 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I see that as more correlation not equaling causation, because its just one issue (touch). The other big one is form, and you can have bad form as long as its consistent. I mean Dray, Shawn Marion, even Steph have some unusual forms shooting the ball. But if you can repeat it (form) and calibrate it (touch), then you could shoot like MKG and it doesnt really matter

100% on shooting being easier to learn in the offseason, but returns are better on off-ball defense because its more about identifying the right decision quicker and making it a habit. Nearly 100% mental, so its more likely to see that happen overall than shooting improving, especially when form is a big issue

FWIW too - I think its easy to spot when someone's form has improved to the point of credibility. Before GP2's breakout season, was on this board telling people he'll be a quality 3pt shooter that year. Didn't go over well then, but the results spoke for themselves

Do you agree his form looks pretty good but isn't consistent enough (especially feet/lower body)? Or do you think it's inconsistent and bad form?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#754 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Do you agree his form looks pretty good but isn't consistent enough (especially feet/lower body)? Or do you think it's inconsistent and bad form?

Sure? I really dont care about how it looks as long as they are balanced and comfortable, and its repeatable. The traditional form is supposed to be the best way to do that, but that varies player to player. Not a fan of the cookie cutter way to do things

Consistent & balanced - good
Inconsistent & balanced - bad
Consistent & off-balance - bad
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,280

Post#755 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:26 pm

vvoland wrote:Do you agree his form looks pretty good but isn't consistent enough (especially feet/lower body)? Or do you think it's inconsistent and bad form?

He usually has time to gather and shoot with a deliberate motion.

But I think he may need to try shooting faster, even if he's wide open, in order to have a more consistent mechanics, not think too much about the shot because thinking about it may cause more variations in the form.

This year Lebron had his highest 3P% at 41%. He's had a lot of variance in his career, shooting 32.1 the prior season.

He keeps shooting them because defenders will give him room, though he's not taking what is basically a set shot, he shoots with confidence and consistent form, off the dribble, though he usually terminates the dribble and gathers his feet.

JK will keep getting space until he shoots well enough. Part of the reason he's deliberate about taking 3s is that he's expected to defer, hand off to other 3-point shooters when he can.

This year he took 2.2 3PA per game, same as last season, despite increasing his overall shot attempts from 7.4 to 11.6 . Next season maybe bump it up incrementally 3.5-4 and see what he could do with greater volume.
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 19

Post#756 » by RUN-TJM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 am

I have no doubt JK can reach mid 30’s from 3. That should be enough to keep defenders honest. His form is fine on set shots and he has nice touch off the dribble from mid range. These things all indicate that a decent 3 point shooter is in there.

That will come with reps.

I’d like to see him work on some dribble moves where he can go left on or pull up cleanly. Sometimes he gets too deep into the key and gets stripped. If he can eliminate that from his game that would help on offence.

Defensively he needs to go to class. He is happy to play aggressively but lacks the know how. His positioning and stance are usually wrong to start with. Then fighting over screens. These are all things he can learn. He’ll never be all defence but he could be a plus level defender on the perimeter. I reckon Coach Spo would have him sorted defensively by now.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#757 » by billinder33 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 pm

JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on. Most posters here act like every basket scored on a Ws defender is a travesty and a failure like that screaming Youtube idiot. But we have to keep in mind that opposing teams are full of professional basketball players. They hit tough shots, it's why they're in the NBA.

The reality is that JK's defense has already reached the fine/ok/acceptable stage. But it's not really consistently fine/ok, it's actually more of a random mixed bag, which understandably gives people lots of angst. There are times where his defense is actually really good or borderline great. Then other times when it's way below average. Often you'll see both the best and worst of JK's defense all in the same shift. And those visibly obvious bad moments create huge a drag in perception against all the good that's happening.

On the possessions where he's at his worst, the biggest issue is that he just not getting to the right floor positions early enough. And because we all know he's a plus athlete, visibly it looks like disinterest or a lack of motivation. It's actually the exact same issue with his rebounding. Establishing the most optimal position early instead of just reacting after the fact. And this is probably a symptom of his lack of experience and reps than anything else. If that's the case, he'll continue to get better over time.

Of course, the issue could be that his brain just doesn't process real-time information fast enough, and that a much harder problem to fix. Even if that's the case, more experience should help mitigate the issue. But you really hope it's just a lack of experience against the world's best players and not actually psychological reaction time. His early position did improve a bit over the course of the season, and he doesn't strike me as a 'Kelly Oubre 10 bong hits before practice' type, so there is hope.

The upside is definitely there. He has the physical facility to get to an Iguodala level of defensive play. Doubt he'll ever get there, but mostly due to his general psychology, and the fact that he has SO much to work on, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, post defense, rebounding, 3-point shooting, post moves, shielding the ball on drives, etc, etc, etc. and there are only so many hours in the day.

So despite the lackluster season ending (especially the knee tendonitis, which is a legit concern), the trend is still moving upward. IMO the first 20 games of next season should add a lot of clarity about what his NBA future is going to be. And the FO should finally have enough info in terms of whether to keep him or move him at the trade DL, assuming he even makes it past the offseason trade activity.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#758 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 pm

billinder33 wrote:JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on. Most posters here act like every basket scored on a Ws defender is a travesty and a failure like that screaming Youtube idiot. But we have to keep in mind that opposing teams are full of professional basketball players. They hit tough shots, it's why they're in the NBA.

The reality is that JK's defense has already reached the fine/ok/acceptable stage. But it's not really consistently fine/ok, it's actually more of a random mixed bag, which understandably gives people lots of angst. There are times where his defense is actually really good or borderline great. Then other times when it's way below average. Often you'll see both the best and worst of JK's defense all in the same shift. And those visibly obvious bad moments create huge a drag in perception against all the good that's happening.

On the possessions where he's at his worst, the biggest issue is that he just not getting to the right floor positions early enough. And because we all know he's a plus athlete, visibly it looks like disinterest or a lack of motivation. It's actually the exact same issue with his rebounding. Establishing the most optimal position early instead of just reacting after the fact. And this is probably a symptom of his lack of experience and reps than anything else. If that's the case, he'll continue to get better over time.

Of course, the issue could be that his brain just doesn't process real-time information fast enough, and that a much harder problem to fix. Even if that's the case, more experience should help mitigate the issue. But you really hope it's just a lack of experience against the world's best players and not actually psychological reaction time. His early position did improve a bit over the course of the season, and he doesn't strike me as a 'Kelly Oubre 10 bong hits before practice' type, so there is hope.

The upside is definitely there. He has the physical facility to get to an Iguodala level of defensive play. Doubt he'll ever get there, but mostly due to his general psychology, and the fact that he has SO much to work on, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, post defense, rebounding, 3-point shooting, post moves, shielding the ball on drives, etc, etc, etc. and there are only so many hours in the day.

So despite the lackluster season ending (especially the knee tendonitis, which is a legit concern), the trend is still moving upward. IMO the first 20 games of next season should add a lot of clarity about what his NBA future is going to be. And the FO should finally have enough info in terms of whether to keep him or move him at the trade DL, assuming he even makes it past the offseason trade activity.
They also need to make a decision about extending him, before the start of the season. If they do, it makes it harder to trade him during the season.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#759 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:54 pm

If JK makes it past the extension deadline and is still on the team, they are keeping him. The value really shrinks otherwise, because a team wouldnt have an offseason to get him acclimated, design a role/path for him.. and if a team isn't doing that, they likely arent paying very much

The odds that it wont be a mistake seem to be much, much smaller than that it would be. The upside profiles a lot less than people think. But whatever, this happens all the time to teams. It wont kill them, it'll just be a missed opportunity re: value
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#760 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

billinder33 wrote:JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on

Well... yes and no. Was he trending up to end the season? Yes. Did he trend down to start the season? Yes. And metrics/analytics seem to agree that the downfall was heavier than the recovery. For example, I see D-DPM (DARKO) having him dip about 25 points to start the year, but by the end recover 20

So the question is, is there a path to sustained success there? I'd say possibly, and I'd also say its a much better bet than the offensive side. But point being, its all about which side you want to believe. If people dont want Kuminga to stay they can point out that he ended the year being less impactful than he started and less impactful than he was as a rookie. If people do want him to stay, they can say he's trending up

All that can be said for sure, with regards to both him and Moody, is it would be nicer to have more data on this to clear it up further. But when you have the opportunity to play the Cavaliers' 13th man or the New Zealand Breakers starting power forward over long-term investments, you HAVE to take it :thumbsup:

Return to Golden State Warriors