2024 JK Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#761 » by Onus » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on

Well... yes and no. Was he trending up to end the season? Yes. Did he trend down to start the season? Yes. And metrics/analytics seem to agree that the downfall was heavier than the recovery. For example, I see D-DPM (DARKO) having him dip about 25 points to start the year, but by the end recover 20

So the question is, is there a path to sustained success there? I'd say possibly, and I'd also say its a much better bet than the offensive side. But point being, its all about which side you want to believe. If people dont want Kuminga to stay they can point out that he ended the year being less impactful than he started and less impactful than he was as a rookie. If people do want him to stay, they can say he's trending up

All that can be said for sure, with regards to both him and Moody, is it would be nicer to have more data on this to clear it up further. But when you have the opportunity to play the Cavaliers' 13th man or the New Zealand Breakers starting power forward over long-term investments, you HAVE to take it :thumbsup:

Do you think jks defense is trending up? When do you think he’ll be a neutral defender?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#762 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on

Well... yes and no. Was he trending up to end the season? Yes. Did he trend down to start the season? Yes. And metrics/analytics seem to agree that the downfall was heavier than the recovery. For example, I see D-DPM (DARKO) having him dip about 25 points to start the year, but by the end recover 20

So the question is, is there a path to sustained success there? I'd say possibly, and I'd also say its a much better bet than the offensive side. But point being, its all about which side you want to believe. If people dont want Kuminga to stay they can point out that he ended the year being less impactful than he started and less impactful than he was as a rookie. If people do want him to stay, they can say he's trending up

All that can be said for sure, with regards to both him and Moody, is it would be nicer to have more data on this to clear it up further. But when you have the opportunity to play the Cavaliers' 13th man or the New Zealand Breakers starting power forward over long-term investments, you HAVE to take it :thumbsup:

Do you think jks defense is trending up? When do you think he’ll be a neutral defender?

I think it is trending up currently, but its been a bit more roller coaster-y than I'd like to say there will be definite improvement going forward. Thats why I dislike the limited data.. if he had a more consistent role over the past 2 years, I'd have more confidence in saying one way or another

I dont see a reason he cant be a neutral defender though, especially if he's put in a position that plays to his strengths and he puts in the work. His defense is not my concern though, its his offense and how much he will be paid for that. Because right now, if the assumption is he's getting 25-30m/yr, its paying for very unlikely upside
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#763 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:...

Maybe, but look at the great payoff the Dubs got for ignoring player development. We wouldn't have been in position for that dramatic playin loss if they'd had more minutes.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#764 » by Dubs 707 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm

Why would you choose such a weird font? How do you block people? He obviously wants to be ignored....
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
watch1958
General Manager

Post#765 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:Why would you choose such a weird font? How do you block people? He obviously wants to be ignored....
You haven't noticed the use of green font before? It's traditional when one is saying something really stupid.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,814

Post#766 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:53 pm

on realgm, green font is traditionally for sarcasm. there is some usage of green for sarcasm outside of realgm as well.
if only there was a way to search the internet to ask questions about this.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,254

Post#767 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:53 pm

floppymoose wrote:on realgm, green font is traditionally for sarcasm. there is some usage of green for sarcasm outside of realgm as well.

And yet much of what the green fonters post isn't sarcasm at all. It might be satire or mockery or mordancy or irony or ridicule, or....... RealGM needs a different color font for each one of these distinctive comments. :nod:
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#768 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:42 pm

billinder33 wrote:JK's defense actually improved a quite bit as the season went on. Most posters here act like every basket scored on a Ws defender is a travesty and a failure like that screaming Youtube idiot. But we have to keep in mind that opposing teams are full of professional basketball players. They hit tough shots, it's why they're in the NBA.

The reality is that JK's defense has already reached the fine/ok/acceptable stage. But it's not really consistently fine/ok, it's actually more of a random mixed bag, which understandably gives people lots of angst. There are times where his defense is actually really good or borderline great. Then other times when it's way below average. Often you'll see both the best and worst of JK's defense all in the same shift. And those visibly obvious bad moments create huge a drag in perception against all the good that's happening.

On the possessions where he's at his worst, the biggest issue is that he just not getting to the right floor positions early enough. And because we all know he's a plus athlete, visibly it looks like disinterest or a lack of motivation. It's actually the exact same issue with his rebounding. Establishing the most optimal position early instead of just reacting after the fact. And this is probably a symptom of his lack of experience and reps than anything else. If that's the case, he'll continue to get better over time.

Of course, the issue could be that his brain just doesn't process real-time information fast enough, and that a much harder problem to fix. Even if that's the case, more experience should help mitigate the issue. But you really hope it's just a lack of experience against the world's best players and not actually psychological reaction time. His early position did improve a bit over the course of the season, and he doesn't strike me as a 'Kelly Oubre 10 bong hits before practice' type, so there is hope.

The upside is definitely there. He has the physical facility to get to an Iguodala level of defensive play. Doubt he'll ever get there, but mostly due to his general psychology, and the fact that he has SO much to work on, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, post defense, rebounding, 3-point shooting, post moves, shielding the ball on drives, etc, etc, etc. and there are only so many hours in the day.

So despite the lackluster season ending (especially the knee tendonitis, which is a legit concern), the trend is still moving upward. IMO the first 20 games of next season should add a lot of clarity about what his NBA future is going to be. And the FO should finally have enough info in terms of whether to keep him or move him at the trade DL, assuming he even makes it past the offseason trade activity.

Agree with Bill, he's a feast or famine defender. He might look great, defending Tatum or lamelo, contesting without fouling, weak side and on ball rim protection, playing passing lanes without gambling too much. Other times (more often), he's out of position, loses his man off ball, is off balance or a myriad of other issues.

Agree with cdm that his offense will be most important, particularly his shooting. Wonder if he's not going to sign anything below 30M like the vassel extension or if we can get him to sign something like the keldon Johnson one.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#769 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:09 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
floppymoose wrote:on realgm, green font is traditionally for sarcasm. there is some usage of green for sarcasm outside of realgm as well.

And yet much of what the green fonters post isn't sarcasm at all. It might be satire or mockery or mordancy or irony or ridicule, or....... RealGM needs a different color font for each one of these distinctive comments. :nod:

A vocabulary is a terrible thing to use.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#770 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:Why would you choose such a weird font? How do you block people? He obviously wants to be ignored....

I agree, that was a lousy green.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#771 » by Dubs 707 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 am

Hmm, consider maself officially embarrassed seriously! I apologize let me buy in since thus is my new go to fourm since PSD went down.

Gave me flashbacks of this old laker fan lol
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#772 » by Coxy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 am

Watch the forum melt down when someone starts typing with lilac colored font.

Return to Golden State Warriors