Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

vvoland
Senior
And1: 116

Re: Desperate Times 

Post#41 » by vvoland » Mon May 13, 2024 9:02 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
vvoland wrote:Wiggins was an ironman

Wiggins has been totally unreliable the last two seasons due to family issues (and getting back to game shape after his family issues). I don't blame him for it, family is more important than basketball. But Wiggins is hardly an iron man.

I thought it was clear but I meant: *was*... as in "was in minnesota"
vvoland
Senior
And1: 116

Post#42 » by vvoland » Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Ppg is not a good argument.. when PHI had him running the offense as pure point, he graded out positive both ways. Even when he was afraid to shoot. Nets have much lower usage, and that dropped him to negative. His defense remained elite

So there’s not been a sharp decline in anything but usage, and even if it were a sharp skills decline, he grades out per minute better than all but 3 Warriors last year: Curry, Dray, TJD

This is where I would probably say the numbers are lying more than the eyes are. And when you say "grades out per minute" do you mean last year, in his ~300 minutes?

The parallels to wiggins are not realistic. Aside from no 1 picks that lack the visible aggression on the basketball court, there are no similarities. Wiggins was an ironman, Simmons is made of cotton. Wiggins was a 20 ppg scorer who didn't put the effort in other areas. Simmons is someone who is has a phobia of scoring while giving the team pretty much everything else. Beyond the health, I have serious reservations about his desire to play basketball and how much he actually wants to win. If we're betting on an overpriced star that is at a value nadir, I'd rather gamble on lavine vs simmons.

So gamble on the guy you know isn't going to be helpful vs the guy who, despite his motivation issues, is still an impact defender? The one who's defensive impact has never actually wavered? The gamble, in its entirety, is on health. Because whether he does it with enough enthusiasm or not, the fact remains that he's an excellent role player when placed in a certain role, and its a role that the Warriors have a need for. Additionally, Lavine has a 3 year contract at near max dollars. Ben Simmons is expiring. So its less risk and higher upside, as well as providing a legitimate backup for one of the rarest archetypes in Draymond Green. So if the team did move on from him while keeping Curry, there wouldnt even need to be a systemic change. Or if they wanted to try and stagger Dray's minutes going forward

The parallels to how Wiggins was perceived are nearly identical, by the way. Wiggins was lazy, selfish, soft, the worst rotation player in the league, a loser, etc etc. Then when he had less responsibility and got away from his bully (Butler), turns out he was actually a very good role player despite being drafted #1. Simmons is lazy, selfish, soft, a loser, a cancer, etc etc. Drafted #1 and then traded for Harden. Get him away from his a-holes (Butler again and Embiid), give him less responsibility.. his peripherals blow Wiggins' out of the water... this is exactly how you turn a penny into a dollar. It shouldnt be plan A mind you, but the arguments that don't relate to health are baffling me at this point

Pretty sure Butler and Wigs are good, I believe it was KAT that Jimmy was trolling. Wiggins only played with Butler for 69 games over two years and with Simmons for less than one season, 18-19, when simmons had his best statistical year. In both cases, I don't think it was the teammates that were the issue.

I don't think the narratives are all that similar, much less 'nearly identical.' Current ben simmons narrative - can't stay on the court; doesn't love bball; likes the lifestyle more than the game; has the yips on offense; and my favorite, shoots with the wrong hand (K'OC special). Wiggins, in Minnesota was: worst contract in the league (not worst rotation player); soft; not a winning player. Problem is, wiggins proved those narratives wrong, for a time, and has now fallen back into them. Much of those talking points still apply to wiggins and, for whatever reason, he's regressed (some would say, back to the mean).

I don't think wiggins got better because he got away from butler. He got better because he fits as the #3 option much better than he did #1 or #2 in Minny. With simmons, its not a role or teammate thing - he's been a trainwreck since that Atl series. I tend to believe him that it's mostly the back issues but there are plenty of people out there that dont think it's strictly a physical injury that's keeping him off the court. That's where I don't want to gamble - on a player that I'm not sure has the physical OR mental toughness for the league (whether it's playing through pain or shouldering the pressure or whatever). He's been away from Butler and Embiid for two years now and it's only getting worse, it seems.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#43 » by Nvnervous45 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:05 pm

I don't think these people fully appreciate how historically bad of a shooter ben simmons is. He's a 58% career shooter from the free throw line. For context that's dennis Rodman and shaq bad.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#44 » by Nvnervous45 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:33 pm

The last two years he shot 40% and 42% from the free throw line. In a league in which almost every primary ball handler can shoot (even draymond was way better last year in that regard) and we're gonna run out simmons in Kerr's motion offense. I don't think so.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#45 » by HiRez » Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 pm

Nvnervous45 wrote:I don't think these people fully appreciate how historically bad of a shooter ben simmons is. He's a 58% career shooter from the free throw line. For context that's dennis Rodman and shaq bad.

True, but those guys are in the Hall Of Fame...the point not being that Simmons is going to be a Hall Of Famer, but that you can be fatally flawed in some ways but still contribute or even excel in other areas. And that might be especially true in Kerr's system.

Nvnervous45 wrote:The last two years he shot 40% and 42% from the free throw line. In a league in which almost every primary ball handler can shoot (even draymond was way better last year in that regard) and we're gonna run out simmons in Kerr's motion offense. I don't think so.

But that really is Kerr's system, for better or worse. Your PF plays defensive safety and finds better shooters shots, your C is relegated to clean-up duty, rebounding, setting screens, and if he can shoot, maybe he's going to be on the 3 point line. If Simmons were to come here I think the only way it works is finding elite shooters around him. We already have one, but if it's like Klay or Wiggins or Kuminga, or probably even Moody, then of course it's not going to work. When you have 2/5 positions offensively-challenged, you'd better be elite at the other 3 and right now they are not.

I personally think Simmons would likely be a disaster but I can kind of see the rationale in this particular situation. Again, this is the "Desperate Times" thread so I don't think anyone is saying it's an ideal solution, but they don't have a ton of great options to improve the roster overnight.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#46 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:05 pm

Wiggins hasnt regressed, his role changed.
Simmons has been trainwrecking to a net positive? most players dont do that, when they trainwreck, its really bad
Simmons can't shoot FTs - a known fact - yet he's still, again, a net positive

I can't keep arguing the same points over and over. He's a net positive player even when he's not being used properly on offense. Even though its trendy to bag on him.. this a great example of why fan analysis lacks. Its emotional. Numbers dont have that problem..

I can absolutely understand hesitance based on his injury. Extremely valid - it a recurring injury to a particularly prone part of the anatomy. But this is becoming Philly fans vs Iguodala all over again.. all focusing on what they can't do instead of embracing what they can. The Warriors, historically, have been great about working out this problem, provided it doesnt interfere with Klay Thompson. So why are we apprehensive now? Because we have so much to lose? :D
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#47 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:08 pm

Nvnervous45 wrote:The last two years he shot 40% and 42% from the free throw line. In a league in which almost every primary ball handler can shoot (even draymond was way better last year in that regard) and we're gonna run out simmons in Kerr's motion offense. I don't think so.

A motion offense is designed to benefit teams with good ballhandling and BBIQ. So when you say "I dont think so" to that, its akin to saying "I dont think so" to Steph Curry in a jumpshooting contest

It plays exactly into Simmons' skillset which is why I'd want him here in the 1st place
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#48 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:21 pm

HiRez wrote: If Simmons were to come here I think the only way it works is finding elite shooters around him. We already have one, but if it's like Klay or Wiggins or Kuminga, or probably even Moody, then of course it's not going to work. When you have 2/5 positions offensively-challenged, you'd better be elite at the other 3 and right now they are not.

Elite shooters arent needed.. its great to have them. But paying untold extra value for a small percentage point boost never really made sense to me. Find me a bunch of 'good enough' shooters instead. Moody, Wiggins, DDV from recent times. Guys who, if they have an open 3pt shot, you feel reasonably confident of 35-40%. Especially if they bring other skills like defense into the fold

Curry + 2 of Podz/Wiggins/Moody/Kuminga + 2 of Simmons/TJD/Draymond is likely going to be fine. Will it be elite shooting? Of course not.. but thats a damn good defensive team with a lot of handling. So then get some microwaves for the bench and be ready to adapt on the fly. The point is that the team's handling, plus motion offense, will create better looks. And if teams sink into the paint, then use high PnRs like well-coached teams do in that situation. Plenty of ways to make it work, just requires a desire to make it work. Not saying you are, but too many fans give up at the first roadblock, as if there is an answer that solves every problem we have if we look hard enough. Those days, the KD days, are over. We're back in the muck with everyone else, and need to lean into strengths just as much as addressing weaknesses
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#49 » by wco81 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:23 pm

Dumb thing about trading for Simmons is that Nets will probably let him walk after his contract is over and he will likely just get minimum 1-year prove-it offers.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#50 » by HiRez » Mon May 13, 2024 11:31 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
HiRez wrote: If Simmons were to come here I think the only way it works is finding elite shooters around him. We already have one, but if it's like Klay or Wiggins or Kuminga, or probably even Moody, then of course it's not going to work. When you have 2/5 positions offensively-challenged, you'd better be elite at the other 3 and right now they are not.

Elite shooters arent needed.. its great to have them. But paying untold extra value for a small percentage point boost never really made sense to me. Find me a bunch of 'good enough' shooters instead. Moody, Wiggins, DDV from recent times. Guys who, if they have an open 3pt shot, you feel reasonably confident of 35-40%. Especially if they bring other skills like defense into the fold

Curry + 2 of Podz/Wiggins/Moody/Kuminga + 2 of Simmons/TJD/Draymond is likely going to be fine. Will it be elite shooting? Of course not.. but thats a damn good defensive team with a lot of handling. So then get some microwaves for the bench and be ready to adapt on the fly. The point is that the team's handling, plus motion offense, will create better looks. And if teams sink into the paint, then use high PnRs like well-coached teams do in that situation. Plenty of ways to make it work, just requires a desire to make it work. Not saying you are, but too many fans give up at the first roadblock, as if there is an answer that solves every problem we have if we look hard enough. Those days, the KD days, are over. We're back in the muck with everyone else, and need to lean into strengths just as much as addressing weaknesses

I don't know, I guess I just don't trust most of our shooters to knock down those shots consistently. Definitely not Klay anymore, Wiggins and Podz have been all over the place with their shooting, Moody might or might not be a good shooter, he hasn't really played enough to tell yet. Maybe "reliable" is a better word than "elite" but I don't really see any of them being very reliable lately (hell, even Steph has been a little shaky at times, although some of that is probably fatigue). All shooters are going to have some big game to game variances but when you go into slumps that last a third or a half a season, I don't think you can live with that when you're hamstrung offensively at the 4/5.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,088

Post#51 » by Twinkie defense » Mon May 13, 2024 11:40 pm

Nvnervous45 wrote:I don't think these people fully appreciate how historically bad of a shooter ben simmons is. He's a 58% career shooter from the free throw line. For context that's dennis Rodman and shaq bad.

But those are two HOFers.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#52 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 pm

HiRez wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I don't know, I guess I just don't trust most of our shooters to knock down those shots consistently. Definitely not Klay anymore, Wiggins and Podz have been all over the place with their shooting, Moody might or might not be a good shooter, he hasn't really played enough to tell yet. Maybe "reliable" is a better word than "elite" but I don't really see any of them being very reliable lately (hell, even Steph has been a little shaky at times, although some of that is probably fatigue). All shooters are going to have some big game to game variances but when you go into slumps that last a third or a half a season, I don't think you can live with that when you're hamstrung offensively at the 4/5.

Consistently will be tough. It's Wiggins and a bunch of young players, and if you get a good defender, odds are they are going to be inconsistent shooters. Otherwise we're priced out already

But there are reasons for optimism with regards to Warriors shooters. When open (3+ ft):

Wiggins = 35.7% from 3 (39.4 after Jan 1st)
Moody = 37.7% (a crazy 45% when WIDE open and a baffling percentage considering how little we ran plays for him)
Podz = 37.9% (weirdly enough, shot better when defenders were 3-6 ft away than 6+ ft away)

Kuminga and Dray are kind of in the same boat as guys youd be ok with taking wide open 3s at low-mid volume

So at that point, I'd be ok with finding microwave guys who can come in and go for flurries if needed. Q can be one, but would probably need a forward/center option as well. But the main thing would be building around a suffocating defense, which would lead to more transition, which is something the team profiles well with. The team really does have top 3 defensive potential, and that should be what the FO leans into this offseason
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#53 » by Twinkie defense » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 pm

One variable I mentioned before that I think is being neglected here: Warriors ability to rehabilitate damaged players.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#54 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:55 pm

Also, if somehow Simmons becomes an option here, the next call I'd be making is to the Wizards to see what I'd need to add to whoever's left between Looney and GP2 to get Corey Kispert. I dont know if WAS fans are really happy with him and if he doesnt get extended (Wizards have a lot of wing/forward depth in Deni, Bilal, Kuzma, Poole, Davis) then I'd be all over him
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,714

Post#55 » by Warriorfan » Tue May 14, 2024 12:44 am

Warriors were 33-22 when Green played.
Warriors led NBA in 15pt leads lost.

Warrior DRTG improved 3pts per when Green plays.

So warriors when healthy were top 5 in Offense and Defense rating.

So room for internal improvement.
Looney, GP2 and CP3 can go out in trade more likely cost cutting with some return.

Young guys can get better.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/nba-rumors-draymond-green-volatility/1726424/?amp=1#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17156474934537&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,306

Post#56 » by GunnerWRX » Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 am

Gosh... if you think Wiggins isn't focused enough on winning, Simmons seems even more like a guy who already have a fully booked itinerary starting April 2025, after collecting the last dollar of his $155M contract.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#57 » by billinder33 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:00 pm

Simmons still plays basketball?

What's the over/under on days until Draymond puts his lights out?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#58 » by Twinkie defense » Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 pm

He had disc surgery to alleviate a nerve impingement. I had a nerve impingement some years back, it was by far the most painful thing I've experienced. Doctor had me taking six ibuprofen at a time, every six hours. Couldn't sit down. I felt like I wanted my arm amputated.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,109

Post#59 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 15, 2024 1:11 am

Twinkie defense wrote:He had disc surgery to alleviate a nerve impingement. I had a nerve impingement some years back, it was by far the most painful thing I've experienced. Doctor had me taking six ibuprofen at a time, every six hours. Couldn't sit down. I felt like I wanted my arm amputated.

that sounds absolutely horrible.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#60 » by CDM_Stats » Wed May 15, 2024 2:24 am

Twinkie defense wrote:He had disc surgery to alleviate a nerve impingement. I had a nerve impingement some years back, it was by far the most painful thing I've experienced. Doctor had me taking six ibuprofen at a time, every six hours. Couldn't sit down. I felt like I wanted my arm amputated.

rough.. those C# disc issues are no joke. I had a L3-L4 myself (way less serious than yours) but it was really irritating to get a shooting pain down the leg.. I believe Simmons' is also lower body, even think he had a microdiscectomy (removing the outer, frayed layer of the disc that was causing the pain). But those don't have a 100% success rate and have a high rate of re-injury, especially if the root cause isnt addressed

That said, it took me 3 years before I was back to my old self for something less severe, but I'm also not a pro athlete. Also the fact that the 2nd surgery was a partial bodes kinda well, in that it meant the 1st one didnt alleviate the pain as it should have, not necessarily that its a chronic injury

Return to Golden State Warriors