ImageImageImageImageImage

If you are David Lee, where do you go?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: If you are David Lee, where do you go? 

Post#161 » by FNQ » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:19 pm

FWIW, I might not waive Calderon... he can shoot, and while he can't guard PGs or anything, gives more spacing cred to our 2nd unit.. a crafty vet as well. Can stretch waive the next year.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#162 » by turk3d » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:32 pm

FNQ wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
rcfc1 wrote:We don't get rid of Lee with assets. At the trade deadline, as has been pointed out, he becomes a large asset.

How many teams at the deadline will be far enough under the cap to take Lee without sending back salary?

None... he's not an asset for us at the deadline. Expirings are assets based on the premise you are willing to use that allocated salary going forward - usually for multiple years or trade filler. As we have our rotation set pretty much already, Lee isn't an asset to us. Teams are aware of this and most will try and bleed us for it. But the Knicks are that perfect scenario for both sides. That said, they probably want to trade us Calderon (2-15). If we do that and stretch waive him, we're looking at saving 4m in cap savings (along with the 8m we'd be saving from trading Lee for Calderon). 12m in savings and a 3.75m cap hit the next 3 years.. that's not bad at all.

If we waited until the deadline a good portion of the $15.4 we owe him will have already been spent, thus making it easier for teams to absorb his remaining cap and saving us (possibly half). This may be actually better than if he were bought out for a reasonable amount, as in this scenario we have his services half the season.

I believe that wherever he goes (be it with us or elsewhere) Lee is going to have a bounceback year. And if he does come back, I think that he may have moved up the depth chart against Mo meaning if this is the scenario, and we're stuck with Lee for a while, that Speights money could be moved rather easily if we chose to go that course. I really don't like the idea of having to take back a player who has more than a year left on his deal.

I wonder if someone could do a cost breakdown on how much it cost keeping Lee this year and paying the tax as a first time offender in comparison to paying half this year, and the other half next as a repeat offender. Would it be the same?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#163 » by FNQ » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:38 pm

turk3d wrote:If we waited until the deadline a good portion of the $15.4 we owe him will have already been spent, thus making it easier for teams to absorb his remaining cap and saving us (possibly half). This may be actually better than if he were bought out for a reasonable amount, as in this scenario we have his services half the season.

This only affects real world money. In terms of cap money and lux tax, the entire salary is counted after the trade deadline. We would be far less likely to find suitors at this time, and we'd likely be taking more money back, negating the purpose of trading him. Also, whoever we do acquire, if we decide that we want to actually use the player, we've given them no time to acclimate to the team, and vice versa
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#164 » by OptionZero » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:46 pm

FNQ wrote:
Bandito wrote:How about the Pacers? Since West opted out, do they have the cap room?

They would probably insist we take Hibbert back.. which is fine, if Dallas doesnt land Jordan. But Dallas has little incentive to help us. Knicks OTOH, are in the East, have no stake against the Warriors, and no shot at the playoffs, much less a title. They are the dream fit for us. They may insist on Calderon coming back to us, but if FAs continue to refuse to sign with them, they may embrace having a ton of expirings.

Keep in mind, we aren't trading Lee for 'nothing' if we trade him to Knicks.. we get a very, very large TE that last a calendar year.

West opting out gave them like $12M, but they signed Ellis for around $11M, so I do not think IND is an option.

NYK is too obvious, just give us some cash and a 2nd and we're good
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#165 » by marthafokker » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:25 am

OptionZero wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Bandito wrote:How about the Pacers? Since West opted out, do they have the cap room?

They would probably insist we take Hibbert back.. which is fine, if Dallas doesnt land Jordan. But Dallas has little incentive to help us. Knicks OTOH, are in the East, have no stake against the Warriors, and no shot at the playoffs, much less a title. They are the dream fit for us. They may insist on Calderon coming back to us, but if FAs continue to refuse to sign with them, they may embrace having a ton of expirings.

Keep in mind, we aren't trading Lee for 'nothing' if we trade him to Knicks.. we get a very, very large TE that last a calendar year.

West opting out gave them like $12M, but they signed Ellis for around $11M, so I do not think IND is an option.

+1.

I'll take a future 2nd Rd kid in Jr High school now please.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#166 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:02 am

FNQ wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
rcfc1 wrote:We don't get rid of Lee with assets. At the trade deadline, as has been pointed out, he becomes a large asset.

How many teams at the deadline will be far enough under the cap to take Lee without sending back salary?

None... he's not an asset for us at the deadline. Expirings are assets based on the premise you are willing to use that allocated salary going forward - usually for multiple years or trade filler. As we have our rotation set pretty much already, Lee isn't an asset to us. Teams are aware of this and most will try and bleed us for it. But the Knicks are that perfect scenario for both sides. That said, they probably want to trade us Calderon (2-15). If we do that and stretch waive him, we're looking at saving 4m in cap savings (along with the 8m we'd be saving from trading Lee for Calderon). 12m in savings and a 3.75m cap hit the next 3 years.. that's not bad at all.

^^ Precisely. That was the point of my rhetorical question.

Lee will be gone sooner rather than later. I'm surprised he isn't gone already.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#167 » by likashing » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:11 am

The Knicks signed Lopez do they still have space for Lee?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#168 » by BW32 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:18 am

likashing wrote:The Knicks signed Lopez do they still have space for Lee?

No depending on who you believe they have 6 to 9 left.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#169 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:34 am

Well maybe we take Claderon?

Calderon or Belli? Of course Belli, but Calderon was a great three point shooter at one time.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#170 » by BW32 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:45 am

Hell no to Calderon. That's Billy King level bs right there.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#171 » by koogiking » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:55 am

BW32 wrote:

The Knicks also have a 7.2 million trade exception so its still possible. And there is also the Calderon route but that may not be appealing.

From a Warriors fan perspective does David Lee + Second round pick for Trade exception sound fair? Or would the Warriors want more in compensation?
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#172 » by statsman » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:04 am

koogiking wrote:
BW32 wrote:

The Knicks also have a 7.2 million trade exception so its still possible. And there is also the Calderon route but that may not be appealing.

From a Warriors fan perspective does David Lee + Second round pick for Trade exception sound fair? Or would the Warriors want more in compensation?

If the Knicks are signing players with cap space, any existing traded player exceptions they own will have been renounced.

Secondly (although not applicable for the Knicks), in order to acquire Lee with a TPE, the TPE must be at least as large as Lee's salary. The TPE cannot be combined with player's salaries in order to make up the difference. Also, TPEs cannot be combined with other TPEs in order to acquire a single player.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#173 » by Kuya » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:47 am

Knicks were the only team I thought would take on Lee... with them signing Robin Lopez, chances seem slim now
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

If you are David Lee, where do you go? 

Post#174 » by TaylorMonkey » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:01 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:If the knicks bring back Lee and Lin they might as well hit up lil Nate Rob too.

Galloway/Lin
Affalo/Nate
Melo/Early
Lee/Zinga
????Lopez???? Or ????Koufas???????

If they get a big like that and round out the bench a little they will probably make the playoffs 7-8 range.

I would pretty much have to root for that team as a lovable bunch of ex Warriors castoffs.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#175 » by clyde21 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:12 am

Kuya wrote:Knicks were the only team I thought would take on Lee... with them signing Robin Lopez, chances seem slim now

We'd have to take Calderon back.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#176 » by B-King » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:00 am

The Kings have screwed up the market for salary dumping.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#177 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:09 am

clyde21 wrote:
Kuya wrote:Knicks were the only team I thought would take on Lee... with them signing Robin Lopez, chances seem slim now

We'd have to take Calderon back.

I actually like the pairing of Lopez and Lee for the Knicks.....at least on defense. Lopez can protect Lee with help defense.

Porzingas at the 4/5....Lee at the 4/5....Lopez at the 5....Melo at the 3/4.....that's some fire power and takes pressure off the rookie for a year. Not a lot of defense other than Lopez, maybe Afflalo finds his d again. Grant can play some d.

I'd take Calderon if we had to. 42% from 3, 90% from the line.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#178 » by Kuya » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:23 am

the only thing I hate with Calderon is that he has 2 years left on his contract.

on the brightside, the salary cap is gonna skyrocket on his last year.
EdgeOf
Junior
And1: 92

Post#179 » by EdgeOf » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:51 am

OptionZero wrote:

The belief over on the Knicks board is that the Warriors will be the one sending an asset, either Kevon Looney or a future first round pick for a Lee-Calderon swap.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#180 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:58 am

In this offseason of overpay David Lee's contract doesn't look so bad anymore. Bad, but not horrible.

Return to Golden State Warriors