ImageImageImageImageImage

It’s over I’m calling it

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: It’s over I’m calling it 

Post#101 » by Onus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:41 pm

I'm probably in the minority but I feel like we're a few tweaks away from going on a run. The great wall of seniority may have broken last night which can be a large step to fixing the biggest issue.

Though Draymond's pending suspension may delay it further.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#102 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:14 pm

Onus wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I feel like we're a few tweaks away from going on a run. The great wall of seniority may have broken last night which can be a large step to fixing the biggest issue.

They could go on a run simply by playing more teams with sub-500 records sure. But if they aren't getting "prime Wiggins" and "sub-prime Klay", there's just not enough horses in the barn to do any real damage this season. I mean I love Podz but if he's your second best player, you aren't making a playoff run in his rookie season.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,168

Post#103 » by TB » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:25 pm

Onus wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I feel like we're a few tweaks away from going on a run. The great wall of seniority may have broken last night which can be a large step to fixing the biggest issue.

I agree... well, I dont know about going on a run, but definitely feel more optimistic in terms of clarity and direction of the team. 8-)

Draymond is about to get another hefty suspension and this is one nobody on the Warriors backs him on. I do think this one will register with him that enough is enough. But it also presents some opportunity for Kuminga and Moody and maybe even Trayce to get some extended run that we really need to see.

Kerr finally benched someone.. and in this case benched multiple people. His press conference also clearly let everyone know that enough is enough of the spoon fed minutes. I hope moving forward Kerr keeps giving the struggling players a chance, but not always all together. For instance, can we get Looney some minutes without Klay and Wiggins.... get Wiggins and Klay more minutes split up... etc.

I think Kerr would go back to the normal starting lineup and hope last game was a wakeup call... but with Dray out I think he makes the move to bench Wiggins for CP3 and bring Kuminga into the starting lineup. My prediction for next game:

CP3 / Steph / Klay / Kuminga / Looney

Podz, Wiggins, Moody, Saric all in heavy rotation minutes.

Trayce and Joseph spot minutes here and there.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#104 » by marthafokker » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:29 pm

Klay and Wiggs dribble without going for the rim should be an automatic benching.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,176

Post#105 » by whatisacenter » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:45 pm

It was over for the core three after last season.

Klay and Draymond gave the FO a lottery ticket with the fanbase to move off of them after their poor performance in the playoffs but they extended Draymond and offered Klay one that was luckily turned down.

This roster is and has been a .500ish team the past two years while having the largest payroll at the same time.

I am mostly disappointed in Lacob who I have heard is a serious poker player. If he his then he should be familiar with the wisdom of the gambler...

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

The time to run was this past offseason.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#106 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:48 pm

Not a big deal either way. We already have 4 rings, we don’t have to win it every year. Just have to enjoy the fact that we still get to watch Steph. It’s highly unlikely this franchise will ever have a player this good again.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Onus
RealGM

Post#107 » by Onus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:05 am

EvanZ wrote:

They could go on a run simply by playing more teams with sub-500 records sure. But if they aren't getting "prime Wiggins" and "sub-prime Klay", there's just not enough horses in the barn to do any real damage this season. I mean I love Podz but if he's your second best player, you aren't making a playoff run in his rookie season.

Again I know I'm in the minority but I think Wiggins was in the process of turning his season around and then he slammed the door on his finger which set him back again. Right now he can't dribble, pass or shoot and but his shooting was turning around right before he slammed his finger and then everything went back to ****. His defense is fine for the most part, it's just his offense with the ball that is a mess right now.

I know Klay isn't coming back, but to be honest he normally only shows out for like 1 game a series anyways. He can still get hot going against backups and if Kerr is ready to not gift him closing minutes if he doesn't have it then that should mitigate his tanking ways.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,176

Post#108 » by whatisacenter » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:08 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Not a big deal either way. We already have 4 rings, we don’t have to win it every year. Just have to enjoy the fact that we still get to watch Steph. It’s highly unlikely this franchise will ever have a player this good again.

I agree with the big picture part of your post but I don't find the roster enjoyable to watch.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM

Post#109 » by Onus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:09 am

whatisacenter wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Not a big deal either way. We already have 4 rings, we don’t have to win it every year. Just have to enjoy the fact that we still get to watch Steph. It’s highly unlikely this franchise will ever have a player this good again.

I agree with the big picture part of your post but I don't find the roster enjoyable to watch.

It's a tough watch, mostly because you know what's going to happen and it's not pretty. But the young players are exciting.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Post#110 » by HiRez » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:12 am

whatisacenter wrote:

Yeah, it's not fun. I actually feel bad for these guys because they're legends and it's probably not easy on them either, even Wiggins has to care some. But I'd enjoy watching Steph, Moody, Kuminga, Podz, and TJD a lot more. Problem is if that's the deal, Steph is probably asking out. So do you want to watch Steph slowly decline on a bad team that's hard to watch, or do you want to send him (and Draymond, Klay, Wiggs, Loon) where he wants now for a big haul of picks? I'm not there yet but I'm leaning more and more towards the latter with every game. We got 4 championships and a lifetime of great memories, if it's time to rebuild then let's do it.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#111 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:36 am

whatisacenter wrote:

Kerr’s stubbornness with the rotation is definitely making them less enjoyable for me as well.

Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#112 » by Bayside » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:54 am

This is not a good product. Nepotism management club and favoritism to aged vets just has nothing to be excited about in the foreseeable future.

I can barely watch a bit here and there and then just not enjoying it and been turning it off, especially after moron guy does his nutter acts.

I would preferer watching young guys developed and having even worse record if that is the case, then this cluster Fark of nonsense.

Oh but did you hear? All we need is a center lol WHAT? Always circles back to that Obsession. Even coming here reading valued opinions gets tedious with the rambling of some.

Some sort of shake up is merited at this point. But that doesn't seem to be how this management team operates.
greekman
Senior
And1: 356

Post#113 » by greekman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:50 am

the front office hasn't made any desperation moves. last season westbrook and russell were available for peanuts. lillard, brogdon, holiday. this season it was harden. the team has to be in win now mode and should have been making movies like the lakers, clippers have. draymond and klay should have been dealt last season.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#114 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:18 am

The only problem is Westbrook, Russell, and Harden are all terrible.

ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 262

Post#115 » by ShayDee » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:56 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:The only problem is Westbrook, Russell, and Harden are all terrible.

And that's the problem with trades. It's either grossly overpay for someone above average(because good players are almost impossible to trade) or slightly overpay to get a mid player because right now front offices are asking for too much and taking advantage of desperate teams
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,133

Post#116 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:03 am

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Again I know I'm in the minority but I think Wiggins was in the process of turning his season around and then he slammed the door on his finger which set him back again. Right now he can't dribble, pass or shoot and but his shooting was turning around right before he slammed his finger and then everything went back to ****. His defense is fine for the most part, it's just his offense with the ball that is a mess right now.

I know Klay isn't coming back, but to be honest he normally only shows out for like 1 game a series anyways. He can still get hot going against backups and if Kerr is ready to not gift him closing minutes if he doesn't have it then that should mitigate his tanking ways.

yup

and the Curry video cycling around right now is him being frustrated with the defense.. as he rightly should be. In what's becoming a more common occurrence, Kerr and the staff inexplicably changed Wiggins' role to spare Klay, which screwed up the house-of-cards that is the switch heavy defense. He's avoided using Moody or Podz as a direct replacement for Klay.. and when he has (for Moody only, Podz hasnt gotten this burn yet), its been for mostly 1-4 minute stints. The longest stint in the past 5 games of the Curry/Moody/Wiggins/Dray/Looney lineup was 3:31, and it was marred by another inexplicable move, the doubling of Booker at halfcourt, with the lead, in the 2nd quarter, when Booker wasn't even hot

Now that Dray has gone and colossally **** up - arguably due to the same frustration that has Steph assaulting chairs on the sideline - the engine of the defense is now on the shelf indefinitely. But hey, he almost got Klay going for a game or two. Light years..
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#117 » by isyed » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:30 am

Raptor fan here. Curious if Steph asks for a trade would a move to the Knicks work. Obviously big market and a team in the cusp of contending.

Something like a rj + Fournier plus 5 picks. Something to jump start your rebuild?

The concern would be the small back court with Brunson but the talent writhe be great for the Knicks and warriors get a young player in rj plus tonne of picks.

Not many psudeo contenders it markets big enough to take Steph on.

Draymond to the pistons might not be a bad move either to get him to his hometown and maybe mentor the kids there and give Monty some help.

Cp3 has always been a good vet for young guys and the helps them develop
You trade him in the offseason to his team of choice but till then helps your org.

Klay is a tricky one. He fits as an expiring contact and maybe break his 45 mill contract on a couple longer ones from teams closer to the luxury tax.

Wiggins and gp3 are solid pieces for contenders and get more picks or younger players.

Just sone ways to save money and jump start your rebuild.

Sent from my SM-F946W using RealGM mobile app
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Post#118 » by HiRez » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:49 am

isyed wrote:Raptor fan here. Curious if Steph asks for a trade would a move to the Knicks work. Obviously big market and a team in the cusp of contending.

Something like a rj + Fournier plus 5 picks. Something to jump start your rebuild?

The concern would be the small back court with Brunson but the talent writhe be great for the Knicks and warriors get a young player in rj plus tonne of picks.

Not many psudeo contenders it markets big enough to take Steph on.

Draymond to the pistons might not be a bad move either to get him to his hometown and maybe mentor the kids there and give Monty some help.

Cp3 has always been a good vet for young guys and the helps them develop
You trade him in the offseason to his team of choice but till then helps your org.

Klay is a tricky one. He fits as an expiring contact and maybe break his 45 mill contract on a couple longer ones from teams closer to the luxury tax.

Wiggins and gp3 are solid pieces for contenders and get more picks or younger players.

Just sone ways to save money and jump start your rebuild.

It's all on the table as far as I'm concerned but I doubt the FO is there yet. Maybe if it's February and they are still dragging and definitively out of playoff contention they might be. But I think they still hope to turn it around with a few tweaks on the edges. Probably it would take Steph asking for a trade and things have to be even worse for that to happen. And I don't see Kerr shepherding a bunch of draft picks so that's another big change that would have to happen.

For me, it looks like the mini dynasty is over, they just don't know it yet. But we've got 4 chips and a ton of good times and I'm OK with starting over a year too soon rather than a year too late. It's going to happen soon regardless of whether they're ready for it.

Also if you're a Raptors fan why are you hooking up the Knicks? :)
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#119 » by Romulus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:11 am

I have league pass and actually have gone back and watched a lot of the old games just in the last few weeks because it's so difficult to watch this team now. I strongly urge everyone to do so. It gives you a good understanding about what's wrong with the current team and what was fun with the previous teams, even when they didn't win it all.

I just watched a few games the year Curry averaged 32 points a game and they lost to Lakers and then the Grizzlies to get eliminated from the playoffs. Now, that team was short on talent, and some of the lineups and bench guys were comically bad. But guess what? I enjoyed the heck out of watching them play. Why? Kerr did a great job of coaching (and his assistants). Believe it or not, that squad was actually like 5th in the entire league in defense. They trapped and doubled teamed at the right times, they communicated and played together. Now, maybe a lot of that was Mike Brown working with the defense, I don't know. Looney moved so much better and looked so much lighter. Perhaps best of all, from the very beginning of every game, Curry was given the ball and ran the show. Sure, there was still the motion offense, but there was also a lot of pick and roll and there was just a beautiful balance to what they were doing. Curry is insanely enjoyable to watch during that year (perhaps his best?), but additionally everyone on the team seemed to understand it was important to get him the ball. Also of note during that season: Curry playing entire quarters was crucial. Maybe the argument is that he's older now and it's not wise to play him that much. I get it but you're also sacrificing one his (and the team's) biggest strengths: Curry getting hot and burying a team. It happened a lot even with that cast of misfits. Also, of course, there was no Klay Thompson.

And that brings me to what I've noticed about this season and last season as well. It seems Kerr has decided it's important to try and get Klay going at the start of every game. Sometimes, it has worked. But by in large, it's hurt the production of the entire team. Curry now often goes the entire first quarter and only shoots a few times and also doesn't have the ball that much. Everything seems forced and out rhythm.

I do think this Suns game is probably the most important of the season. It signals the end of Draymond Green playing a key role. The Warriors can now move on and I actually think that will be good for them. It was also a good thing that Kerr decided to bench Klay and Wiggins in the 4th quarter. I know it's been reported that Klay had a melt-down on the bench, but this had to eventually be done. Honestly, the young guys -- Moody, Podz, & Kuminga -- have all outplayed Klay & Wiggins and deserve more minutes and to play with the game on the line. No, you don't close the door on Wiggins and Klay, you continue to give them minutes and hope they get better. But whoever plays is out there because they've earned it. At least, that's my sincere hope. Kerr can't go back now and if he does then this team will fall apart.

I'm also hoping this helps free up Curry, that he'll play more with these young guys, learn to trust them, and they'll all learn to do what's best when it comes to winning games.

Change is here. Draymond's suspension doesn't give Kerr a choice. And that's a good thing. Having said all that, even if these young guys blossom and play really well, no, this team isn't competing for a title. And the issue of trades will hang over this team until the trade deadline and beyond after the season is over. How will everyone handle all this change? Will Klay be so unhappy that he demands a trade? It's possible. Will Curry realize he's just spinning his wheels at 36 and want to go elsewhere? Maybe.
Regardless, there's no going back.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#120 » by jozef » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 am

Romulus wrote:I do think this Suns game is probably the most important of the season. It signals the end of Draymond Green playing a key role. The Warriors can now move on and I actually think that will be good for them. It was also a good thing that Kerr decided to bench Klay and Wiggins in the 4th quarter. I know it's been reported that Klay had a melt-down on the bench, but this had to eventually be done. Honestly, the young guys -- Moody, Podz, & Kuminga -- have all outplayed Klay & Wiggins and deserve more minutes and to play with the game on the line. No, you don't close the door on Wiggins and Klay, you continue to give them minutes and hope they get better. But whoever plays is out there because they've earned it. At least, that's my sincere hope. Kerr can't go back now and if he does then this team will fall apart.

I'm also hoping this helps free up Curry, that he'll play more with these young guys, learn to trust them, and they'll all learn to do what's best when it comes to winning games.

You overevaluate the success of young guys against Phoenix backup lineup. Last night vs Nets Eubanks was -18 in 4 minutes. Simply there is a big difference between starters and backups in the league. Overall Moody, Podz and Kuminga are worth of backup minutes and complementary roles but they still miss skills of a primary offensive option. It is still not there and you can see it in many plays right in that Suns game. It would not free up Curry, it would frustrate him cause there is obvious lack of concept.
The league is simply full of tall athletic guys at C position and guards and wings who are hungry to play their hearts out on Splash Brothers defense. All teams see there is no Warriors center able to dunk on them, make shots inside or challenge any shots and they all feel confident that they would prevail over Warriors in a result. Eubanks easily blocked Saric twice, Goodwin and Gordon scored layups and one on him, that's simply horrible athletic disadvantage. Can you ever imagine Looney and Saric dunking on somebody or block a shot with an authority? No, you cannot, it would feel crazy. Still you want a successful NBA team...

There is still a hope that Warriors could win it all: they could beat small ball Sacramento, Murray and Michael Porter Jr could get injured, Lively could get injured, etc., small ball Miami could somehow get in the Finals... but overall GSW either finds a center or they die in a false hope that they can outshoot the opponents solely from perimeter.

And Draymond suspension will make it hard to even stay in playoffs race.

Return to Golden State Warriors