ImageImageImageImageImage

More Free Agent Talk

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,832

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#1301 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:39 am

superunknown wrote:so basically there's no 7 footer or big man on planet earth that is deemed to be passable enough to be a backup C for the dubs.
one is a bad defender, one can catch a lob but can't shoot, one can shoot but is not a rim protector, that one is a decent rim protector but is not mobile enough to switch on the perimeter, another one is vertical but is a bad team rebounder, I mean. no one is a good fit for one reason or another.
like the rest of the players in the roster are all flawless with no limitations. all are great athletes with high BIQ, high motor, who shoot well, play above avg defense, rebound well, don't turn the ball over and know how to play winning basketball....
if we put every single player a roster under the same magnifying glass the only one deemed to be good enough to see the court woud be steph..... or maybe not even him considering that he's not really athletic and struggles defensively at times.

7 footer? Heck, anything taller than 6'9'' is a big "no" for us...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,427

Post#1302 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:08 pm

But Warriors centers have 7-foot wingspans. Doesn’t that count?

The team is the most successful small ball team in NBA history so why would they chase 7 footers now?
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Post#1303 » by superunknown » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:06 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
superunknown wrote:so basically there's no 7 footer or big man on planet earth that is deemed to be passable enough to be a backup C for the dubs.
one is a bad defender, one can catch a lob but can't shoot, one can shoot but is not a rim protector, that one is a decent rim protector but is not mobile enough to switch on the perimeter, another one is vertical but is a bad team rebounder I mean. no one is a good fit for one reason or another.
like the rest of the players in the roster are all flawless with no limitations. all are great athletes with high BIQ, high motor, who shoot well, play above avg defense, rebound well, don't turn the ball over and know how to play winning basketball....
if we put every single player a roster under the same magnifying glass the only one deemed to be good enough to see the court woud be steph..... or maybe not even him considering that he's not really athletic and struggles defensively at times.

you guys aggressively don't get it

Height does not matter in this system.. what matters is smarts, knowing where to be. And its been that way for a while. We've seen what stupid players can do to this system, be it Poole, be it Oubre, be it Wiseman. They can have a dramatically bad effect on the team by themselves at times. So when people are hand-wringing that the lone FA we've brought in so far is a smart player and capable defender, it's somehow not the weirdest thing because the fans that have lived through the 3 stooges listed above are asking about Christian Wood, Bol Bol, Biyombo and Mo Bamba.. worried that we aren't enough of a destination because of Malik Beasley..

Know who's name I'm not listing? Saric.. because while he does nothing to protect the rim or provide on post defense, he's smart. Flawed, but not in the biggest difference maker on the team, BBIQ. And there are other bigs who are smart that are still out there, but no fans seem interested in them. They're chasing homerun swings on guys that are being constantly shuttled off of teams that are trying to win, and in systems that actually benefit their skillset, unlike here

so the only player left on planet earth who is "smart" enough to fit is saric?
there is no one else on emerged lands that would be a decent fit in the warriors system beside, apparently, OPJ, belly and saric.
ok.
someone would have to conclude that zaza pachulia has been one of the greatest BBIQ C in history given the fact he was the starting C of arguably the greatest team ever. the very same ezeli and mcgee above avg BBIQ centers considering that they saw some playing minutes in dubs system in championships years.

CDM_Stats wrote:And there are other bigs who are smart that are still out there, but no fans seem interested in them.

so there are bigs still out there who would fit here. good to know.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 862

Post#1304 » by Dom801e » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:53 pm

So far the only player that went for the minimum that I would have had liked is Watanabe.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#1305 » by DaHef » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:55 pm

Is Derrick Favors serviceable?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,204

Post#1306 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:21 pm

DaHef wrote:Is Derrick Favors serviceable?

He hasn't played in the league since 21-22 so I doubt he is an option. But I just looked him up and can't believe he will only be 32 yo in a few days!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#1307 » by DaHef » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:25 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
DaHef wrote:Is Derrick Favors serviceable?

He hasn't played in the league since 21-22 so I doubt he is an option. But I just looked him up and can't believe he will only be 32 yo in a few days!

He should be well rested. haha
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,138

Post#1308 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:36 pm

superunknown wrote:
there is no one else on emerged lands that would be a decent fit in the warriors system beside, apparently, OPJ, belly and saric.
ok.

Yes, you've successfully identified the only 4 players that fit. Fantastic work. Just don't let it change how you view this situation, because that would be very stupid to try and actually ascertain the point instead of just repeating the names I've already listed as examples

someone would have to conclude that zaza pachulia has been one of the greatest BBIQ C in history given the fact he was the starting C of arguably the greatest team ever. the very same ezeli and mcgee above avg BBIQ centers considering that they saw some playing minutes in dubs system in championships years.

Yes, sure. I could explain why this is wrong and how we run a very different defensive system from the days when we played drop and switch, but it wouldnt matter right? Youd still complain about why we arent signing extremely dumb centers that winning teams have already discarded, despite them being actual fits in those systems.. so sure. Whatever you say man
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1309 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:38 pm

Dom801e wrote:So far the only player that went for the minimum that I would have had liked is Watanabe.

Same, although Jae Crowder snuck under the radar too.. but he was going back to the same team he played for last year, so it tracks
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#1310 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:19 pm

me waiting for us to sign Saric

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
all left
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1311 » by all left » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:42 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
marthafokker wrote:Yep... height doesn't matter. GP2 is already on the team to play backup center.

Our backup C the past two seasons is 6'6.. career SF OPJ, the 2nd backup during the title year, was 6'7. Career SF/PF Bjelica, the guy with a smaller wingspan than Moody, logged C minutes too

All of them were successful because they know how to play the game. Meanwhile we've brought in size options repeatedly, via the draft and free agency, and how many of them have panned out? We need more Damian Jones' or slow euros on losing teams?

The death lineup every year isn't when we go bigger, is it? Warriors fans should be the last people that need this explained

+1 to all this.

And it does look like pieces of the plan for defensive improvement so far in free agency are to increase collective BB IQ and to cut down on turnovers, especially live ball turnovers-- stuff that really makes a difference, likely more of a difference than a tall body who might add some fraction of a block per game but otherwise is clueless. Both Paul and Joseph obvious positives on this stuff, and trading Poole re turnovers (and of course defense generally) was addition by subtraction.

Those two new guys might just help organize the second unit a bit on offense, too....
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 862

Post#1312 » by Dom801e » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:02 pm

Saric then Biyombo are my choices.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Post#1313 » by superunknown » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:05 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
superunknown wrote:
ok.

Yes, you've successfully identified the only 4 players that fit. Fantastic work. Just don't let it change how you view this situation, because that would be very stupid to try and actually ascertain the point instead of just repeating the names I've already listed as examples

Yes, sure. I could explain why this is wrong and how we run a very different defensive system from the days when we played drop and switch, but it wouldnt matter right? Youd still complain about why we arent signing extremely dumb centers that winning teams have already discarded, despite them being actual fits in those systems.. so sure. Whatever you say man

you still don't get it.
reading the comments of some experts in this thread, almost every funking player on planet earth, not only big men but also wings and guards, is not a fit here. not as a starter, but as a funking 10th 11th man on roster! there's always some flaw pointed out, either physical or technical or temperamental or BBIQ related, where the very same flaws could be pointed out for the starters of the team.
following the logic you and the others apply to almost every funking player mentioned in this thread, no one apart from steph should play for the dubs next season.
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#1314 » by bay2hk » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:15 pm

Warriors should just wait until training camp is over. There'll be more options once teams trim their rosters.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1315 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:01 pm

superunknown wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
superunknown wrote:
ok.

you still don't get it.
reading the comments of some experts in this thread, almost every funking player on planet earth, not only big men but also wings and guards, is not a fit here. not as a starter, but as a funking 10th 11th man on roster! there's always some flaw pointed out, either physical or technical or temperamental or BBIQ related, where the very same flaws could be pointed out for the starters of the team.
following the logic you and the others apply to almost every funking player mentioned in this thread, no one apart from steph should play for the dubs next season.

your inability to understand what they mean doesnt mean THEY are wrong

not all weaknesses are the same. A player with a severe BBIQ issue is not the same as someone with a severe shooting issue, or rebounding issue, or defense issue. Seems like the most ardent complaints are about lack of BBIQ, which makes perfect sense. So it sounds to me like, no, its you. Especially when you are citing guys like Zaza and Ezeli from entirely different defensive concepts as evidence

Do you watch football? American football?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#1316 » by cdubbz » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:26 am

I’m still on the Meyers Leonard train.

7’0 260lbs, athletic, in shape, shoots 38% from 3. He Doesn’t have high expectations for a role based off he’s a fringe player at this point - but 12-15mpg he can plug in.

Center rotation:
Looney 23mpg
Leonard 12mpg
Green 7mpg
Jackson-Davis 5mpg
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,667

Post#1317 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:12 am

cdubbz wrote:I’m still on the Meyers Leonard train.

7’0 260lbs, athletic, in shape, shoots 38% from 3. He Doesn’t have high expectations for a role based off he’s a fringe player at this point - but 12-15mpg he can plug in.

Center rotation:
Looney 23mpg
Leonard 12mpg
Green 7mpg
Jackson-Davis 5mpg

Not bad, i can see that signing happening, as long as he is fit. He should be pretty motivated to get his career back on track and to rekindle his image to the world after that online gaming racism thing.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1318 » by Dubs 707 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:32 am

Pass warriors and racism don't mix...
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1319 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:47 am

Coxy wrote:
cdubbz wrote:I’m still on the Meyers Leonard train.

Center rotation:
Looney 23mpg
Leonard 12mpg
Green 7mpg
Jackson-Davis 5mpg

Not bad, i can see that signing happening, as long as he is fit. He should be pretty motivated to get his career back on track and to rekindle his image to the world after that online gaming racism thing.

It's a tough sell tbh.. if someone was using homophobic slurs, I wouldnt want to subject COO Rick Welts to dealing with the controversy that brings in. Similarly I wouldnt want anyone Jewish in the organization to feel that same way.. especially for some minimum contract guy

That said.. we just had a 2-way player of someone credibly accused of something awful, and they claimed to have vetted him enough to sign him. So who knows? But like the signing of 40, I'd be incredibly disappointed in the franchise to even bring the guy in. I know, 2nd chances and all that, and I'd be way more forgiving of this than what 40 did.. but its definitely not a good look after what we already did last year
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#1320 » by bay2hk » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:49 am

Dubs 707 wrote:Pass warriors and racism don't mix...

Warriors did have lamb last year so don’t think it’s out of the question. Iggy, who was vocal about Leonard on Twitter last year, is not going to be on the roster next year so worst come to worst Leonard is an option.

Beggars can’t be choosers and the remaining FA bigs are slim

Return to Golden State Warriors