Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Re: 1/15 Game 40: Warriors (18-21) @ Grizzlies (14-25) 3:00pm PT on TNT 

Post#181 » by Sandy333 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:59 pm

thunderdunk wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:With steph shooting so poorly this year , klay has been the only offense. Wiggins cannot shoot from outside or inside unless it is a wide open dunk. Podz , kuminga, Tjd, moody are only good against second units. Saric is good for a few points this year, that's all.

I don't understand what this means. Steph has shot more 2's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more 3's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more free throws than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. How is Klay the only offense due to Steph's struggles?

Sandy is posting nonsense...

Ďont be fooled by yearly averages when klay started badly, last two months steph has been really poor missing wide open shots, causing defensive breakdowns, ..
billinder33
Junior
And1: 87

Post#182 » by billinder33 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:21 am

What I saw from the game was the last several minutes, JK was pretty much the only one actually playing with any sense of urgency. He's just not good enough to win games singlehandedly. Seriously, go back and watch JK's effort level and compare it to the rest of the team.... it's instructive.

We are losing because of the vets. Period. Because Steph is still great but no longer elite, Klay is washed, Wiggs has retired and not filed the paperwork yet, and Dray is a basic clown. Kerr and staff can either accept JK,'s level of effort and random dodo plays, or nail him to the bench and let his market value rot while losing games with futureless vets that make the same dodo plays with the only difference being the legacy of 4x titles.

It's time to turn the page on 'the core'. That version of the Ws is dead, and no point in watching the vets crap all over the kids over the kind of sloppy play that they've been engaging in for years.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,846

Post#183 » by floppymoose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:07 am

I thought Dray played decently that game. But otherwise I pretty much agree.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#184 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:20 pm

billinder33 wrote:What I saw from the game was the last several minutes, JK was pretty much the only one actually playing with any sense of urgency. He's just not good enough to win games singlehandedly. Seriously, go back and watch JK's effort level and compare it to the rest of the team.... it's instructive.

We are losing because of the vets. Period. Because Steph is still great but no longer elite, Klay is washed, Wiggs has retired and not filed the paperwork yet, and Dray is a basic clown. Kerr and staff can either accept JK,'s level of effort and random dodo plays, or nail him to the bench and let his market value rot while losing games with futureless vets that make the same dodo plays with the only difference being the legacy of 4x titles.

It's time to turn the page on 'the core'. That version of the Ws is dead, and no point in watching the vets crap all over the kids over the kind of sloppy play that they've been engaging in for years.

So much of this. I do think Steph's level of play can return to elite when he's not dragging Klay or Wiggins corpses around the court with him.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 463

Post#185 » by superunknown » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:57 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I don't understand what this means. Steph has shot more 2's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more 3's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more free throws than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. How is Klay the only offense due to Steph's struggles?

Ďont be fooled by yearly averages when klay started badly, last two months steph has been really poor missing wide open shots, causing defensive breakdowns, ..

klay started atrociously, not just badly. now he's playing badly, it looks a bit better than the starting of the season just because, again, he started atrociously. he's having the lowest career avg in 3 points % (but he's letting it flies like is game 6 of the 2016 WCF....and, on top of that, he's shooting the ball from the furstest distance of his entire career by a considerable margin, which is ridiculous), his stats in the 4th quarters are simply abysmal (while curry is one of the best of the league in the 4th quarters this season).
and when we say he's playing badly, we talk about offense, because on the defensive side of the ball is a walking liability with the rare exceptions when he faces pretty stationary offenses/players like the likes of the clips and magic.
as much as steph has been playing poorly in the last few months, what you said has no ground.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#186 » by jozef » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:07 pm

In January Klay offensive numbers are great and better than Stephen's. Check them.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#187 » by Bayside » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:54 pm

Hard to tell a lot of the new posters apart. Sometimes I think posters have several alias. Another American conspiracy theory. How am I doing?
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,586

Post#188 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:58 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I don't understand what this means. Steph has shot more 2's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more 3's than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. Steph has shot more free throws than Klay at a higher percentage than Klay. How is Klay the only offense due to Steph's struggles?

Don't be fooled by large sample size? Trust small sample sizes? Is that the message?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#189 » by Sandy333 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:55 am

Sandy333 wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:Sandy is posting nonsense...

Don't be fooled by large sample size? Trust small sample sizes? Is that the message?

Why Stop at this year, take life time. It is well known few players start the year slowly. It makes sense to discount the start of the year. In statititics there're averages and then there are trends. It makes sense to look at trends to find out if something is breaking down instead of comforting oneself with long term averages.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#190 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:08 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:Ďont be fooled by yearly averages when klay started badly, last two months steph has been really poor missing wide open shots, causing defensive breakdowns, ..

Why Stop at this year, take life time. It is well known few players start the year slowly. It makes sense to discount the start of the year. In statititics there're averages and then there are trends. It makes sense to look at trends to find out if something is breaking down instead of comforting oneself with long term averages.

If you want to try to make a nuanced point, you need to have more sophisticated dialogue than, "klay has been the only offense (this year)". That is what started this, and that statement on its face is ridiculous.

Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#191 » by Sandy333 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Don't be fooled by large sample size? Trust small sample sizes? Is that the message?

If you want to try to make a nuanced point, you need to have more sophisticated dialogue than, "klay has been the only offense (this year)". That is what started this, and that statement on its face is ridiculous.

Even today when Lakers went on a 13-0 run , only Thompson could get warriors out of the slump, no one else could make a basket. Steph failed, so did all others.

If it is is a open shot Thompson is the best person to take it. Thompson is struggling with movement and defence though.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#192 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:48 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:

Even today when Lakers went on a 13-0 run , only Thompson could get warriors out of the slump, no one else could make a basket. Steph failed, so did all others.

If it is is a open shot Thompson is the best person to take it. Thompson is struggling with movement and defence though.

You can believe what you like, but the data doesn't back that up. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 3 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Podz, Payton (small sample size), Curry, and then Klay. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 2 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Kuminga, Curry, CP3, Wiggins (!), and then Klay.

"No, I meant if they are REALLY open!" If the closest defender is at least *6* feet away on a 3, our highest percentage shooters are Draymond, Saric, Moody, Curry, Quinones (smaaaaall sample size), CP3, and finally Klay. 6 feet away on a 2 (weird scenario/breakaway layups/dunks), our highest percentage shooters are Draymond, Moody, Looney, CP3, Saric, Kuminga, Curry, and finally Klay.

Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#193 » by Sandy333 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:09 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:If you want to try to make a nuanced point, you need to have more sophisticated dialogue than, "klay has been the only offense (this year)". That is what started this, and that statement on its face is ridiculous.

You can believe what you like, but the data doesn't back that up. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 3 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Podz, Payton (small sample size), Curry, and then Klay. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 2 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Kuminga, Curry, CP3, Wiggins (!), and then Klay.

"No, I meant if they are REALLY open!" If the closest defender is at least *6* feet away on a 3, our highest percentage shooters are Draymond, Saric, Moody, Curry, Quinones (smaaaaall sample size), CP3, and finally Klay. 6 feet away on a 2 (weird scenario/breakaway layups/dunks), our highest percentage shooters are Draymond, Moody, Looney, CP3, Saric, Kuminga, Curry, and finally Klay.

I take it this includes data from first two months when Klay stank it to high heavens ?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,131

Post#194 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:43 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:You can believe what you like, but the data doesn't back that up. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 3 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Podz, Payton (small sample size), Curry, and then Klay. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 2 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Kuminga, Curry, CP3, Wiggins (!), and then Klay.

I STG if this argument works for you..
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#195 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:32 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:Even today when Lakers went on a 13-0 run , only Thompson could get warriors out of the slump, no one else could make a basket. Steph failed, so did all others.

I take it this includes data from first two months when Klay stank it to high heavens ?

Of course it does, because those stats count. For some reason I should try to sort out with my therapist, I humored your point and ran the same exercise but started with stats on December 15th. Klay *still* isn't the best on the team. On 3's or 2's, with the closest defender 4 or 6 feet anyway. The point is just false. Then I started wondering what I'm doing with my life that I'm continuing to spend my time entertaining your theory that doesn't pass the eye test or any data I can find.

So nevermind. I'm sure you're right. Despite all logic and evidence, Klay is the best person to take any open shot, and the only one on the team that can reliably score.

vvoland
Senior
And1: 130

Post#196 » by vvoland » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:46 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:You can believe what you like, but the data doesn't back that up. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 3 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Podz, Payton (small sample size), Curry, and then Klay. If the closest defender is at least 4 feet away on a 2 point shot, our highest percentage shooters are Kuminga, Curry, CP3, Wiggins (!), and then Klay.

Of course it does, because those stats count. For some reason I should try to sort out with my therapist, I humored your point and ran the same exercise but started with stats on December 15th. Klay *still* isn't the best on the team. On 3's or 2's, with the closest defender 4 or 6 feet anyway. The point is just false. Then I started wondering what I'm doing with my life that I'm continuing to spend my time entertaining your theory that doesn't pass the eye test or any data I can find.

So nevermind. I'm sure you're right. Despite all logic and evidence, Klay is the best person to take any open shot, and the only one on the team that can reliably score.

Where do you find these stats? I would love to take look at this stuff. By the way, %'s aside, are we really saying Klay isn't the second best shooting option on this team? By shooting I mean 15 feet and out. He's had a rough start to the year, sure, but he's been shooting 40% from 3 since the start of Dec. and every single team still defends him like he hasn't slowed down at all.

It's actually one of the main reason dray, wigs and JK have so much room offensively when Steph and Klay are on the court. How many times have we seen Klay come around the screen 28ft from the basket, the screener barely hits the defender and then slips, the 2nd defender panics, doubles klay (w/o the ball) and it's an easy dunk for the screener (as long as it's not looney). TJD has made a living off that two man game.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#197 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:15 pm

vvoland wrote:
Sandy333 wrote: I take it this includes data from first two months when Klay stank it to high heavens ?

Where do you find these stats? I would love to take look at this stuff. By the way, %'s aside, are we really saying Klay isn't the second best shooting option on this team? By shooting I mean 15 feet and out. He's had a rough start to the year, sure, but he's been shooting 40% from 3 since the start of Dec. and every single team still defends him like he hasn't slowed down at all.

It's actually one of the main reason dray, wigs and JK have so much room offensively when Steph and Klay are on the court. How many times have we seen Klay come around the screen 28ft from the basket, the screener barely hits the defender and then slips, the 2nd defender panics, doubles klay (w/o the ball) and it's an easy dunk for the screener (as long as it's not looney). TJD has made a living off that two man game.

A little site called nba.com:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shots-closest-defender

vvoland
Senior

Post#198 » by vvoland » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 pm

vvoland wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Of course it does, because those stats count. For some reason I should try to sort out with my therapist, I humored your point and ran the same exercise but started with stats on December 15th. Klay *still* isn't the best on the team. On 3's or 2's, with the closest defender 4 or 6 feet anyway. The point is just false. Then I started wondering what I'm doing with my life that I'm continuing to spend my time entertaining your theory that doesn't pass the eye test or any data I can find.

I keep forgetting they have advanced stats on their site.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#199 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:51 pm

vvoland wrote:
vvoland wrote:

In general I'm astonished by how bad their site is. But yeah, they have some cool stats stuff.

vvoland
Senior

Post#200 » by vvoland » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:55 pm

vvoland wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:A little site called nba.com:

In general I'm astonished by how bad their site is. But yeah, they have some cool stats stuff.

Same. For a league as forward looking as the NBA, their site is atrocious. I haven't used it in years and, as a result, have missed their stats upgrade. Will have to check it out. I really like cleaning the glass for the lineup data but not enough to pay for the full access.

Return to Golden State Warriors