oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Re: F it. It's Kerr's fault. 

Post#21 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:59 pm

Coxy wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
It's not that black and white. You don;t just get to lump individuals together like that and say "when 1 falls, they all fall". They all are different and deal with different physical and mental things in life. That's a really wierd take to try and make stick.

I don't think it's weird. I think all three of them are trying to ride the loyalty train to the end. That's what's going to get them paid and keep them in powerful positions.

Yeah, it's a very wierd take, and somewhat tin foil hat political.

I'm not saying they are conspiring together. It wasn't my intention to say that. That would be weird. They're just in the same boat. All three are underperforming and clinging to the same idea/sales pitch.

i.e. Klay Thompson can't lean into his individual numbers, but he can hold onto the idea they are Champions and deserve more opportunities/money/flexibility/power.

There's nothing left in the "what have you done for me lately" tank with those three.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#22 » by michaelm » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:14 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
B-King wrote:I understand the frustration with Kerr and curious as to who people would replace him with. I am not impressed with any of the random names I have seen floated on this board so far.

Right? The coaching carousel is stale right now. Doc Rivers is bouncing around to help teams take it to the next level, but never does. The last good new coach was Brad Stevens. It's too late to try and find a diamond in the rough when this team has a short time window.

Fans are always super weird when it comes to coaching candidates.. no one knows how these coaches actually operate. So people think of it like uninformed voters - name recognition. It doesnt really matter.. Kerr was not a name before he got here. Meanwhile big names flop all the time

Instead of looking for this great coach as a replacement, and the motivation for replacement.. it should be looked at the exact opposite way. If you're firing someone midseason, you're basically saying that a replacement level coach is an improvement over the incumbent. Now that could mean a fresh set of eyes/fresh voice is needed, or it can mean the incumbent is doing such a lousy job that you can bring in any average joe and they will be an improvement. Not unlike Mark Jackson

So if people want Kerr fired, they should be asking whether or not some regular ass milquetoast coach would be an improvement over him. I'd be leaning towards yes at this stage, because you'd assume that the new coach wouldnt have an undying loyalty to Klay, which is one of the biggest deterrents of the season

They say there are only two types of coach, those who have been fired and those who are going to be fired.

I do think even the greatest coaches only have a limited time in a particular position, and Kerr may have passed that time with GSW as you say. He gives every appearance of having lost the team, both the young players who likely see his rotations and awarding of playing time as capricious, and the older players who may not be listening and/or are judged on past rather than present performance while doing whatever they feel like doing.

I don’t agree with revisionism that he was never a good coach however, enjoyed the time of dynasty greatly, and will continue to appreciate those including him who contributed to it.

I am not sure the current issues are soluble, and that’s life, everyone gets old, but it is not hard to see someone fresh having a better approach than Kerr has been displaying this season.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#23 » by a8bil » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:32 am

Let's be real. The identity of this team was and is Steph. Kerr brought out the best in Steph and a byproduct was to bring out the best in Klay as a spot up shooter benefitting from Steph's "gravity". Kerr's ability to dramatically change the offense is limited, because the offense still revolves around Steph. The problem, of course, is that teams weren't built to defend Kerr's offense initially, but they have evolved to defend it better as teams studied the teams that had success against Kerr's offense and they have added longer, quicker perimeter players. Kerr's offense is by necessity not as good as it was, but I also don't see how it could ever be while this remains a Steph centric offense. Getting another superstar would likely help, but I haven't see anyone suggest how that could happen. Ws have the contracts to trade for a max salary slot, but I haven't seen the list of max stars lining up to join this squad. Is anyone else aware of that list?
michaelm
RealGM

Post#24 » by michaelm » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:08 am

a8bil wrote:Let's be real. The identity of this team was and is Steph. Kerr brought out the best in Steph and a byproduct was to bring out the best in Klay as a spot up shooter benefitting from Steph's "gravity". Kerr's ability to dramatically change the offense is limited, because the offense still revolves around Steph. The problem, of course, is that teams weren't built to defend Kerr's offense initially, but they have evolved to defend it better as teams studied the teams that had success against Kerr's offense and they have added longer, quicker perimeter players. Kerr's offense is by necessity not as good as it was, but I also don't see how it could ever be while this remains a Steph centric offense. Would getting another superstar would likely help, but I haven't see anyone suggest how that could happen. Ws have the contracts to trade for a max salary slot, but I haven't seen the list of max stars lining up to join this squad. Is anyone else aware of that list?

Not only have other teams evolved defenses, but the core trio can’t play as they once could, probably even Steph, although he might still be able to be nearly as good as he was in a less futile cause, and Green of course has hardly played at all. People imo shouldn’t forget how good Klay was, particularly in the Raptors final series before he went down, but he understandably isn’t that guy anymore over 4 years later and following 2 bad injuries. Both he and Kerr seem to be operating under the assumption that one of these days or weeks he is going to return to being the player he was. I would be delighted to be wrong but can’t see that happening myself.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#25 » by a8bil » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:11 am

michaelm wrote:
a8bil wrote:Let's be real. The identity of this team was and is Steph. Kerr brought out the best in Steph and a byproduct was to bring out the best in Klay as a spot up shooter benefitting from Steph's "gravity". Kerr's ability to dramatically change the offense is limited, because the offense still revolves around Steph. The problem, of course, is that teams weren't built to defend Kerr's offense initially, but they have evolved to defend it better as teams studied the teams that had success against Kerr's offense and they have added longer, quicker perimeter players. Kerr's offense is by necessity not as good as it was, but I also don't see how it could ever be while this remains a Steph centric offense. Would getting another superstar would likely help, but I haven't see anyone suggest how that could happen. Ws have the contracts to trade for a max salary slot, but I haven't seen the list of max stars lining up to join this squad. Is anyone else aware of that list?

Not only have other teams evolved defenses, but the core trio can’t play as they once could, probably even Steph, although he might still be able to be nearly as good as he was in a less futile cause, and Green of course has hardly played at all. People imo shouldn’t forget how good Klay was, particularly in the Raptors final series before he went down, but he understandably isn’t that guy anymore over 4 years later and following 2 bad injuries. Both he and Kerr seem to be operating under the assumption that one of these days or weeks he is going to return to being the player he was. I would be delighted to be wrong but can’t see that happening myself.
I'm not sure that they're waiting for that moment. I think Kerr believes -- and probably rightly -- that their best chance of winning is with Klay returning to 90% of his old self. No one else on the bench has proven themselves to be a consistent scoring threat from the outside. And without that scoring threat, the Ws offense just doesn't go.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#26 » by michaelm » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:43 am

a8bil wrote:
michaelm wrote:

I'm not sure that they're waiting for that moment. I think Kerr believes -- and probably rightly -- that their best chance of winning is with Klay returning to 90% of his old self. No one else on the bench has proven themselves to be a consistent scoring threat from the outside. And without that scoring threat, the Ws offense just doesn't go.

I am sure you are correct, and his offense is often still quite good, his defense is the problem and very likely due to physical rather than attitudinal problems.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#27 » by a8bil » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:39 am

michaelm wrote:I am sure you are correct, and his offense is often still quite good, his defense is the problem and very likely due to physical rather than attitudinal problems.
True, but think of a lot of the team's recent collapses...many came by loss of a 4th quarter lead with the vets on the floor. Defense? Inability to score on offense? Could be a bit of both, but there has been a notable lack of scoring from Wiggins and Klay.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#28 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:46 am

a8bil wrote:
michaelm wrote:I am sure you are correct, and his offense is often still quite good, his defense is the problem and very likely due to physical rather than attitudinal problems.
True, but think of a lot of the team's recent collapses...many came by loss of a 4th quarter lead with the vets on the floor. Defense? Inability to score on offense? Could be a bit of both, but there has been a notable lack of scoring from Wiggins and Klay.

It's defense.

Even when we make shots to get out to leads, we lose it right back and more when the shots stop going in.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#29 » by jozef » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:49 am

a8bil wrote:Let's be real. The identity of this team was and is Steph. Kerr brought out the best in Steph and a byproduct was to bring out the best in Klay as a spot up shooter benefitting from Steph's "gravity". Kerr's ability to dramatically change the offense is limited, because the offense still revolves around Steph. The problem, of course, is that teams weren't built to defend Kerr's offense initially, but they have evolved to defend it better as teams studied the teams that had success against Kerr's offense and they have added longer, quicker perimeter players.

What games do you watch?!
Benefitting from Steph's gravity? Are you kidding us? They ran plays for him as a primary option. Just check any nba.com boxscore and click on his FGA number to watch clips...
The basic principle of Kerr's superior offensive scheme is that there are TWO supershooters who do not need hog the ball and it does make a hell of trouble to play help defense. All the system needs are big men who can finish above the rim.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#30 » by a8bil » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:52 pm

jozef wrote:
a8bil wrote:Let's be real. The identity of this team was and is Steph. Kerr brought out the best in Steph and a byproduct was to bring out the best in Klay as a spot up shooter benefitting from Steph's "gravity". Kerr's ability to dramatically change the offense is limited, because the offense still revolves around Steph. The problem, of course, is that teams weren't built to defend Kerr's offense initially, but they have evolved to defend it better as teams studied the teams that had success against Kerr's offense and they have added longer, quicker perimeter players.

Benefitting from Steph's gravity? Are you kidding us? They ran plays for him as a primary option. Just check any nba.com boxscore and click on his FGA number to watch clips...
The basic principle of Kerr's superior offensive scheme is that there are TWO supershooters who do not need hog the ball and it does make a hell of trouble to play help defense. All the system needs are big men who can finish above the rim.
I'm sorry you don't understand the game. Benefitting from "Steph's gravity" and running plays for him, are not mutually exclusive concepts.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,389

Post#31 » by Onus » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:52 pm

Wait i didn't know that kerr has say in the USA olympic roster pool. And he left Klay and Dray off the roster pool. Yet Klay is still slotted in for 30+ every night. LMAO
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#32 » by jozef » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:18 pm

a8bil wrote:
jozef wrote:

I'm sorry you don't understand the game. Benefitting from "Steph's gravity" and running plays for him, are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Benefiting from gravity does mean that a defender sags off Klay. No way. They are attached to him and he commands a lot of help. I am sorry but you could not back up such a claim. Every game has videoclips, just watch them and you will realize what a nonsense you had wrote.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,387

Post#33 » by CS707 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:24 pm

michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Right? The coaching carousel is stale right now. Doc Rivers is bouncing around to help teams take it to the next level, but never does. The last good new coach was Brad Stevens. It's too late to try and find a diamond in the rough when this team has a short time window.

Fans are always super weird when it comes to coaching candidates.. no one knows how these coaches actually operate. So people think of it like uninformed voters - name recognition. It doesnt really matter.. Kerr was not a name before he got here. Meanwhile big names flop all the time

Instead of looking for this great coach as a replacement, and the motivation for replacement.. it should be looked at the exact opposite way. If you're firing someone midseason, you're basically saying that a replacement level coach is an improvement over the incumbent. Now that could mean a fresh set of eyes/fresh voice is needed, or it can mean the incumbent is doing such a lousy job that you can bring in any average joe and they will be an improvement. Not unlike Mark Jackson

So if people want Kerr fired, they should be asking whether or not some regular ass milquetoast coach would be an improvement over him. I'd be leaning towards yes at this stage, because you'd assume that the new coach wouldnt have an undying loyalty to Klay, which is one of the biggest deterrents of the season

They say there are only two types of coach, those who have been fired and those who are going to be fired.

I do think even the greatest coaches only have a limited time in a particular position, and Kerr may have passed that time with GSW as you say. He gives every appearance of having lost the team, both the young players who likely see his rotations and awarding of playing time as capricious, and the older players who may not be listening and/or are judged on past rather than present performance while doing whatever they feel like doing.

I don’t agree with revisionism that he was never a good coach however, enjoyed the time of dynasty greatly, and will continue to appreciate those including him who contributed to it.

I am not sure the current issues are soluble, and that’s life, everyone gets old, but it is not hard to see someone fresh having a better approach than Kerr has been displaying this season.

Great post. I think the core of this team, including Kerr, are uniquely close and are struggling with the inevitable. It's part of the lifecycle of sports but I wouldn't argue to keep Kerr past this season because different situations require different skillsets, but I do think the organization benefited from that bond enough over the years that I'm willing to extend a little grace in terms of letting the season play out before having the hard discussions. He was definitely the right guy at the right time in the right place for most of the last decade though. It just got away from him towards the end. I have a feeling he'll either step away from basketball operations completely or take another role with the organization.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#34 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:52 am

Kerr again put the Warriors at a disadvantage by playing the three guard lineup again.

Kerr should NEVER....NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER....play three midget guards ESPECIALLY when the back line is Saric, Draymond or Looney lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,105

Post#35 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 pm

DevinVassell wrote:Word of the day.

milquetoast - a timid or feeble person

... hadn't heard that one.

lol my bitching has educational value!
I meant bland, but the above works fine too
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,105

Post#36 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 pm

CS707 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Great post. I think the core of this team, including Kerr, are uniquely close and are struggling with the inevitable. It's part of the lifecycle of sports but I wouldn't argue to keep Kerr past this season because different situations require different skillsets, but I do think the organization benefited from that bond enough over the years that I'm willing to extend a little grace in terms of letting the season play out before having the hard discussions. He was definitely the right guy at the right time in the right place for most of the last decade though. It just got away from him towards the end. I have a feeling he'll either step away from basketball operations completely or take another role with the organization.

Evolving styles while playing or coaching is incredibly hard.. its why even a lot of all-time great coaches sputtered as new eras of basketball come in. Not everyone (anyone?) can be Pop.. Kerr did a fine job managing talents when that was needed. It's no longer needed.. we're heading back into the pile with the majority of NBA teams. As such, we need a coach who's better at navigating that than Kerr has been/will be
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#37 » by DevinVassell » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter

An actual coach calls a timeout 100% of the time in that situation. Draw up a play... use what you have at your disposal to get an actual advantage in the game. I'm having deja vu about deja vu.

Kerr just constantly sits on his hands with the bs veteran excuse. Seriously, what are they paying this guy for?
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#38 » by sonnyhill » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:15 pm

Is anyone else also questioning why Kerr had decided to start both Looney and Saric against the Kings, quite possibly the slowest duo in the NBA, together against a team which has athletic team speed?

Combined with Curry and Thompson, Steph not having any interest in playing defense and Thompson not physically able to play defense, what the hell was Kerr thinking?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,161

Post#39 » by TB » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:19 pm

The starting lineups in each half, not getting defensive/rebounding lineups in at dead-balls to end game, not challenging the Steph out of bounds/flagrant....

all 3 were much bigger mistakes than the non-timeout.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,268

Post#40 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:44 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Is anyone else also questioning why Kerr had decided to start both Looney and Saric against the Kings, quite possibly the slowest duo in the NBA, together against a team which has athletic team speed?

Combined with Curry and Thompson, Steph not having any interest in playing defense and Thompson not physically able to play defense, what the hell was Kerr thinking?

It's frustrating knowing you're guaranteed to be digging out of a deficit. I mean I assume we all saw that one coming right?

Return to Golden State Warriors